83 Reviews for Jewish Heart and Soul—Rabbi-Cantor Annie Bornstein

Licensed (16)
Interfaith Ceremony (13)
Single Religion (4)
Agnostic (2)

Rabbi Annie was awesome! I loved that she took a lot of time to get to know is through Skype and was flexible with us. She is nonjudgmental, supportive, kind, and an all around wonderful person. I loved how she explained the Jewish aspects of the ceremony well and added some humor. So many said that the ceremony was the best that they’ve seen.

Profile Picture Stephanie, 4/13/18, 1 Review
Category: Officiant
Services Used: Jewish, Customized Vows, Licensed, Counseling, Interfaith Ceremony

We used rabbi Annie for our son's bar mitzvah and had a great experience. I would highly recommend her. About a year ago, my son decided that he wanted a bar mitzvah despite having never attended a traditional religious school program. Annie is an amazing teacher -- within a year my son went from not knowing any Hebrew to being able to chant his Torah portion perfectly. She provided excellent guidance for his speech and mitzvah project, and created a meaningful service for our family. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience and would highly recommend Annie.

Profile Picture Julie, 4/7/18, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

We had a great experience with Rabbi Annie. Even though we were in different cities, she made a real effort to get to know us through several Skype sessions in the months leading up to the wedding. She listened and worked with us to help us create the ceremony that we wanted, and was extremely flexible in meeting our needs. The ceremony she produced was personal and meaningful to us, and we couldn't have been more pleased. Afterwards we received numerous words of praise from our guests. We would highly recommend working with her.

Profile Picture David, 12/9/17, 1 Review
Category: Officiant
Services Used: Interfaith Ceremony, Customized Vows, Licensed, Counseling, Jewish

Working with Rabbi Annie was both fun and easy. As soon as I spoke to her on the phone for the first time, I knew she was the one to marry me and my husband! As she is located in MD and us in Philadelphia, we often used Skype and Facetime to connect on a monthly basis in order to get to know each other. My husband ins't religious, and I consider myself to be, so she help us tailor the ceremony that fit us perfectly, of which we had complete say in. She is a great listener, and delivered an extremely heartfelt ceremony at our wedding. We received so many compliments on how beautiful the ceremony was, and now even a few of our family members will be using her for their upcoming weddings! I would 100% recommend her to anyone!!

Profile Picture Leah, 11/18/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Officiant

Where to even start?? Rabbi Annie truly made our day so special! When we first started looking for an officiant, we knew that we wanted to have a ceremony that was personal and inclusive-- and Rabbi Annie delivered! After the ceremony we heard from dozens of guests about just how wonderful and unique the ceremony was. We can't thank Rabbi Annie enough for ensuring that our wedding day was all that we hoped it would be!

Profile Picture Margot, 10/7/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Officiant

My husband and I were very happy we chose Rabbi Annie to officiate our wedding! She did a beautiful job. We are both jewish but we're not affiliated with a particular synagogue or Rabbi. It was still really important to us to have a Jewish ceremony and Rabbi Annie made that happen. From the moment we met her I knew Rabbi Annie was the perfect fit for us. She is extremely warm, caring, and truly takes the time to get to know her couples. We met with her in person twice and then had multiple skype sessions. We had about 3-4 sessions of marriage counseling and then the remainder of the sessions were for us to plan our ceremony. She made sure that it incorporated everything we wanted and had many readings and vow options for us to choose from. We actually didn't realize she was also a Cantor so when she started chanting during the wedding we were surprised, but it was so beautiful! So many people complimented us on how nice our ceremony was and how much they loved our Rabbi (and we agree!!). I would highly recommend Rabbi Annie to other couples! She was everything we could've hoped for and more!

Profile Picture Paula, 9/16/17, 6 Reviews
Category: Officiant

Rabbi Annie was an incredible pleasure to work with and it was a joy getting to know her. She is professional, receptive, and she made our ceremony feel special and personal. We had an interfaith ceremony and Rabbi Annie closely worked with us to incorporate the traditions from each side we wanted to observe. She even made premarital counseling something to look forward to! We feel like we lucked out finding Rabbi Annie and could not recommend her more!

Profile Picture Shannon, 9/9/17, 2 Reviews

Dear Annie,

There aren't enough accolades to adequately describe the heartfelt, intimate and personal wedding and ketubah signing ceremonies you lovingly created and delivered for us and our family and guests.

We don't have to tell you about the overwhelming emotion because you saw it all looking at us and all our guests and participants. And we saw your emotions in your eyes and heard it in the subtle trembling of your voice as you spoke to us the words that will remain in our hearts forever. We spend a good amount of time with nearly all our guests and they universally praised you (we heard dozens of times "your rabbi is amazing!"), confirming what we already knew but it was delightful to hear their perspective. We also loved your graceful and funny recovery after accidentally dropping the microphone. There's a reason some of the greatest comedians are Jewish :)

We also heard from many guests about the butterfly that flew across the front row during your personal words to us, while you were telling the s tory of Andrew's stomach butterflies during our early dates. Thanks for the good word you must have put in with God who apparently coordinated with our late parents and grandparents to make it happen, along with the miraculously delightful weather for early August in the Washington area. We'd like to think that's what happened and not just coincidence!

Every aspect of our wedding was perfect and we will be forever grateful to you for treating us not as clients, but with love. From the first time we met you through each of our in-person visits and then culminating in our breathtakingly beautiful ceremony we enjoyed every minute with you.

We were told by many guests that our wedding was one of the best they had ever attended. You certainly get a lot of the credit.

Fondly,

Andrew & Jimmy

Profile Picture Jimmy, 8/6/17, 8 Reviews
Category: Officiant

My husband and I loved Rabbi Annie! We wanted a reform Jewish, interfaith wedding on Saturday before sun down, and she had no problem with that. We had just moved to Bethesda, so did not have an officiant from a congregation that we could look to. We wanted a strong, socially-liberal officiant to match our values. Rabbi Annie meets at least 4 times with each couple to do marriage counseling, get to know us, and thoroughly plan the ceremony. We met 5 times, and she was great about scheduling in the evenings to accommodate our busy schedules. She is funny, warm, opinionated, and puts her whole heart into her work. Her chanting was beautiful and the parts of the ceremony that she wrote specifically for my groom and I were very personal and clearly the product of careful listening and getting to know us as a couple. We got many, many comments back from guests that our officiant was a perfect fit, funny, and chose incredibly meaningful words for us. Her ceremony was perfect and the highlight of our wedding! If you compare to an officiant from a congregation, she is somewhat pricey, so we had some initial sticker shock, but we felt that her effort and personalization were well worth the cost in the end--especially considering all the time she spent meeting with us. We're thrilled with our choice and would absolutely recommend her!

Profile Picture Elana, 8/5/17, 8 Reviews
Services Used: Customized Vows, Licensed, Counseling, Agnostic, Jewish

Rabbi Annie was amazing! She helped make our wedding day so incredibly special and conducted our ceremony exactly how we wanted. We would absolutely recommend her to anyone!

Profile Picture Carey, 7/2/17, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

Rabbi Annie was fantastic. From the first time we met she was totally engaged. The meeting lasted over an hour where we shared our lives, interests and love for each other. Rabbi Annie continued to take notes and was really interested in our story. She was engaged at every step, not overbearing, but truly wanting this to our best day ever. I have a continued sense of humor and she jumped right in which made the whole experience perfect. It fit our personality and joy for life.

The ceremony was outside on July 2 and was hotter than ####. Yes, we had beads of sweat dripping, yes, we were drinking water and YES, Rabbi Annie was terrific and didn't miss a beat. She expressed what she had learned about us, making so personal, we thought we knew for years. It was true, comfortable, and joyful as she played back what our feelings were. She knew me and there was a sense of personal feedback when, with a smile on her face and joy in her voice, she stated the word "binding" which made me smile because she "got" us.

Rabbi Annie is a person want to get to know after the wedding, when all is said, the vows exchanged, and your living as husband and wife. She brings the true spirit of life. Our thanks to Rabbi Annie, for being the person you are, getting know us and join us in marriage.

Carole and Neal

Profile Picture Neal, 7/2/17, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

Thank you Rabbi Annie for helping to make our wedding so memorable! We consider you a new friend.
Everyone who reads this should know that Rabbi Annie is fun and easy to work with. She made sure that our questions were answered and she had many good suggestions to make our day unique. Rabbi Annie guided us in the selection of a Ketubah that will become a beautiful work of art in our home for years to come. She sent us suggested readings that brought us to tears. Thank you Rabbi Annie for adding so many beautiful memories to our day!
Carole & Neal

Profile Picture Carole, 7/2/17, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

Rabbi Annie was wonderful throughout the entire process. Her pre-marital counseling was excellent, and she made planning the ceremony - even with our custom elements - very easy. All our guests told us how beautiful the ceremony was. We are so glad we worked with Rabbi Annie!

Profile Picture Suzanne, 5/26/17, 6 Reviews
Category: Officiant
Services Used: Interfaith Ceremony, Customized Vows, Licensed, Counseling, Agnostic, Jewish

Finding Rabbi Cantor Annie Bornstein to officiate our wedding ceremony was truly a blessing. We could not believe our good fortune. I'm not exaggerating when I say we adored her from our first FaceTime meeting. Annie is so incredibly warm, caring, hip, and vibrant, we both felt comfortable immediately and we were so excited that she was going to marry us. Annie worked really hard to customize a ceremony that would resonate for us. My new husband and I have never been particularly religious, however since we are both Jewish, we thought it made sense to have a rabbi marry us. I worried that a rabbi might be offended by our not wanting a lot of the religious aspects of a Jewish wedding, but Annie was more than happy to accommodate us and she really wanted to do a ceremony that felt comfortable for us. I really like many of the Jewish wedding traditions and symbolisms, and I expressed that to Annie the first time we spoke and she definitely heard me. She never pushed her own agenda; it was all about what my then, fiancé, and I wanted.

We did connect effortlessly with Annie. She was very easy to talk to, in fact, we ended up doing the pre-marital sessions she offered as part of her officiant package. Initially, we had no intention of doing them, but it was such a pleasure talking to Annie--we totally changed our minds.

Our wedding ceremony was absolutely perfect. Annie learned so much about us during our 3-4 FaceTime sessions, that when she officiated our wedding, and spoke to us and about us, it felt like she had known us forever.

Rabbi Annie Bornstein was my 2nd best online find ever!!! My husband was my first. :)

True BESHERT??

Profile Picture Debra, 5/25/17, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

Rabbi Annie is wonderful. We spoke to several Rabbis and my son chose Rabbi Annie for his bar mitzvah. She tutored him for 8 months and provided encouragement and support. She worked with us to put together a service that we thoroughy enjoyed and held a lot of meaning. At the service, her presence and lovely voice received many accolades from our friends and family. Overall, we enjoyed working with Rabbi Annie and highly recommend her. We will miss her!

Profile Picture Laura, 5/20/17, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

My son just had his Bar Mitzvah with Rabbi Annie, and she was wonderful. She is such a warm and caring teacher. She worked with my son for about a year, and he was very well prepared on the day of his Bar Mitzvah. He read from the Torah beautifully and led many prayers. Rabbi Annie taught him how to chant, helped him prepare his speech, and custom designed a service to fit our family’s tastes On the day of the Bar Mitzvah, Rabbi Annie performed a heartfelt, touching and beautiful service (helped by the fact that she has a gorgeous voice). When the Bar Mitzvah was over, my son was sad that he wouldn’t be seeing Rabbi Annie for lessons any more. Luckily for us, my younger son will be preparing for his Bar Mitzvah soon, and we will get to see Rabbi Annie again!

Profile Picture Jodi, 4/29/17, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

We could not have been more happy with Rabbi Annie. We were not an easy couple, and Rabbi Annie went out of her way to do everything we asked of her, always with a smile on her face. We had a difficult family situation and Rabbi Annie not only worked with us, but helped us navigate our way through everything.

The day of, Rabbi Annie arrived on time and delivered a beautiful ceremony that so many of our guests complimented on. In addition, the day of, my husband and I forgot several items Rabbi Annie had asked us to bring and bring, and she was so callm and helped us figure out what to do and how to gather what we could and make do otherwise.

We had such a positive experience and would recommend Rabbi Annie to anyone!

Profile Picture Marilyn, 4/1/17, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

We had a fantastic experience with Rabbi Annie. She truly invested in getting to know us as a couple and was dedicated to making the ceremony both personal and beautiful. Following our ceremony we were bombarded by people telling us how fabulous they thought Rabbi Annie was. They found her funny, her voice beautiful and her words meaningful.

Profile Picture Alexandra, 3/18/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Officiant

I don't even know where to start! We hired Rabbi Annie about 8 months before we got married. I'm jewish and my husband is agnostic. I grew up in a conservative household, but really view myself more on the reformed side of things. My husband was a little hesitant to go through all the interviews, but after we had one Skype call with Rabbi Annie we knew she would be the right officiant for our wedding. It wasn't about pushing any jewish stuff onto my husband, but more about taking the time to work with us and help us open up about ourselves and our future. Rabbi Annie took the time to get to know us, chat about the things that come up when you marry someone and ALWAYS was available to us for questions or whatever we needed. Rabbi Annie spoke to my husband and I during the ceremony and provided her blessings for us.... everything she said was us. She listened and CARES. Super responsive to emails or phone calls/texts, whatever you need she was there.

We had so many compliments and my parents loved the ceremony, Just enough of the jewish traditions, but Rabbi Annie even took the time to explain the parts of the ceremony as the majority of our attendees were not Jewish.

We couldn't be happier with having Rabbi Annie perform our ceremony!!! I can't recommend her enough!!!!

Profile Picture Ashley, 11/12/16, 6 Reviews
Category: Officiant

Rabbi Annie was spectacular. We will remember our ceremony forever. Guests told us that it was the best wedding ceremony they had ever attended. We really enjoyed getting to know Rabbi Annie during the months leading up to our wedding. Her interest in getting to know us was obvious from the quality of the ceremony. We are an interfaith couple and wanted a ceremony that reflected our diverse traditions. Rabbi Annie more than delivered. It was a pleasure to work with her.

Profile Picture User5603742, 1+ year ago, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

Rabbi Annie was the best. She was professional, helpful and thorough. We found her to be disarming, engaged and eager to learn more about us as we moved through this process. We have referred Rabbi Annie to another couple and they chose to use her- we would do that many more times over. Our guests also loved her!

Profile Picture User6007472, 1+ year ago, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Customized Vows, Licensed, Counseling, Interfaith Ceremony

Rabbi-Cantor Annie Bernstein helped make our ceremony incredibly personal and heartfelt through her efforts to get to know as a couple. We had several Skype-sessions of couples counseling in the months leading up to the wedding where we talked about our hopes, concerns, goals and views as well as what we wanted in our ceremony, wedding, and marriage. She was thoughtful, funny and kind in our talks and was very helpful in suggesting how to navigate some of the trickier family dynamics that come out during wedding planning. She helped us plan the program for the ceremony, made suggestions for where to find a ketubah, reviewed the language for the ketubah and ceremony, and was very organized in what she needed from us for the ceremony and what we needed to do to prepare. She truly became a friend through the process, and we are so fortunate to have found her.

Profile Picture Rachel, 9/24/16, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Jewish, Single Religion, Customized Vows, Licensed, Counseling

Rabbi Annie was so kind and thoughtful in her questions. Over a series of Skype chats, we really felt like she got to know us and it showed in the service. She helped us personalize it, while keeping time-honored traditions.

Profile Picture Amanda, 9/17/16, 1 Review
Category: Officiant

When you hire Rabbi Annie as the officiant for your wedding you are not just hiring someone who will say the prayers and take you through the motions. Rabbi Annie provided hours of valuable pre-marriage counseling and advice, which my wife and I will carry with us throughout our marriage. Rabbi Annie took the time to get to know us personally and was able to integrate these discussions into a deeply personal speech about my wife and me during the ceremony. One who listens to her speech would have thought we had known Rabbi Annie for years. Rabbi Annie is also willing to tailor the ceremony to how you would like it done. Rabbi Annie went above and beyond to integrate my wife's cultural heritage into the Jewish ceremony, spending time to learn customs (Hindu), and the language (Bengali), in order to welcome all of our guests and make them feel part of the ceremony. All of our family and friends in attendance found the ceremony to be deeply meaningful and highly informative. I also recommend having Rabbi Annie chant the prayers because she has a truly amazing singing voice. By choosing to hire Rabbi Annie Bornstein as your officiant you are not just hiring a Rabbi to perform your wedding ceremony, you are hiring a person who you will want to continue a spiritual relationship with long after the wedding ends.

Profile Picture Jeffrey, 9/4/16, 3 Reviews