Jen Plus Colour Reviews

86 | Palm Desert, CA

86 Reviews for Jen Plus Colour

Ali · Married on 10/08/2016

Jen was amazing!! From the time we met for my trial to the end of wedding day hair & makeup we had a total blast! I made the mistake of choosing an updo that totally didn't work with my hair (the inspiration photo was thin, highlighted blonde hair & I have dark almost black thick hair with no highlights) but she willingly gave it her best shot! Though it looked great, it wasn't going to look like the photo no matter what we did. After my trial I decided to go with something that suits my natural hair much better. Since I live in Chicago I couldn't do another trial so I sent her photos and a detailed description of the new look. Jen was totally cool with giving it a whirl the day-of! I absolutely adored my overall look and all of my bridesmaids and mothers looked phenomal, too! Everyone on Jen's team was just as amazing as she is which was awesome. They all totally fit in with my girl gang and we had a great time :) One of everyone's favorite things is each girl got a "touch up kit" to go in their clutch with some of the products they used like lip color. It was the best! Jen is a true artist, but also incredibly professional and organized. Lastly, I emailed her 8 months after our wedding asking for the eyebrow product she used on me (best brows I ever had!) and she quickly responded with what it was so I could go purchase for myself. Talk about amazing! Thank you, Jen!!

Sent on 06/15/2017

Cynthia · Married on 09/24/2016

There is no doubt about it; Jen and her team are the best when it comes to hair and makeup for weddings! I am a local girl from the desert, and I am also a little bit of a picky person, especially when it comes to my hair/makeup. However, it was easy picking Jen in creating my bridal look for my Palm Springs based wedding because she is simply the best.

From our first emails, to my hair/makeup trial to the day of the wedding, she was nothing but professional and understood exactly the look I wanted to achieve and was always so accommodating to any changes we had.

In total, she and her team glammed up myself, my sister (MOH), two bridesmaids, and my mom. She made us all feel extremely beautiful and happy with our looks. I received so many compliments the day of my wedding and I have nothing but love for such a talented artist.

I recommend her to anyone who is marrying in Palm Springs and beyond!

Sent on 11/26/2016

Vi · Married on 05/20/2016

First, let me start off by saying that I'm one of those people who don't trust anyone with my hair. I used to have terrible experiences with haircuts/styling so now that I found a stylist who gets me, I don't stray. Ever. So you can imagine being from New Jersey and planning an engagement shoot in Palm Springs was frightening when it came to finding someone to do my hair. I contemplated doing my own hair to avoid it or just leaving my hair straight, but then I researched like crazy to find someone who could help me. I came across Jen's work because my photographer's sister used her during her wedding. I looked at Jen's instagram for awhile and decided if I was going to trust in anyone that I hadn't met, I would definitely want it to be her. She responded quickly and was very professional. Still, leading up to the day I was slightly worried bc we'd never met. I had nothing to worry about though because she's the sweetest person and is super talented. Right away, she got started after I showed her a picture of what I was going for. She also made me feel comfortable and is easy to talk to. And to top it off, the way Jen did my hair was one of my favorite looks ever! She not only gave me volume that lasted into the next morning (my hair usually goes flat fast), but she did my hair even better than I expected! My photographer said I looked like a "desert goddess" when I was done. One of my favorite pictures from our engagement shoot is one where it's just the back of my head showing all my pretty waves. I've gotten so many compliments on my engagement shoot hair! Seriously, Jen is amazing. Book her if you can! You'll feel awesome and not want to wash your hair bc her work is so pretty you want it to stay that way!

Sent on 01/03/2016

Shannon · Married on 05/07/2016

I hired Jen for my May wedding in Palm Springs and she absolutely KILLED IT!! Jen and the 3 fabulous ladies she brought to do hair and make-up for my bridesmaids and MOB/MOG were TOP NOTCH. All of my girlfriends who have been in multiple weddings said that Jen and her crew were the BEST hair and make-up they had ever had done. Jen did my hair/make-up for my engagement shoot (which I also used as my trial for the wedding), rehearsal dinner, and wedding. Each style and look was unique and she did incredible on everything. Jen is extremely artistic and she has a great balance of giving you her opinion (because she knows what looks good) and letting you decide. She is extremely professional and accommodating to the schedule of the wedding and I just loved spending time with her all around. Call her now before she gets booked up!

Sent on 05/22/2016

mary · Married on 02/06/2016

Amazing. When I first started planning my wedding, I wasn't even going to hire a makeup artist. I usually don't wear much makeup and I didn't want to look overly done up for my wedding -- I wanted to look natural, like myself. When I've had makeup done as a bridesmaid, I've always felt it looks waaay too heavy.

My hotel planner Olivia at The Avalon insisted I work with Jen -- she couldn't recommend her highly enough. Now, up to that point, I was thrilled with every recommendation from Olivia, so I checked out Jen's site and sure enough, all of the makeup looked beautiful and natural. I decided to do a trial.

When I showed up, I liked Jen immediately. She has a great sense of humor, a calming presence and she knows what she's doing. She takes direction like a pro and she is straightforward in her advice. She plays up your best features, but in an elegant, subtle way. My fiance picked me up from the trial and he LOVED my makeup. (He was also worried I wouldn't look like myself but Jen did it perfectly.) Obviously, we booked her for the wedding.

Leading up to the wedding, she was incredibly well organized, professional and on top of it all. This woman has a serious system down. She was great the day of too -- very laid back and lighthearted, which is the presence you need when everyone's buzzing around pre-ceremony.

If I lived in Palm Springs, I'd want to be friends with Jen. Or at the very least, I'd want her to do my makeup again. I would recommend her to anyone, and coming from someone who's very particular when it comes to makeup, that means something. She. Is. The. Best.

Sent on 04/20/2016
  • Mindy

Mindy · Married on 11/20/2015

I recently got married on November 20th 2015. As most brides, I was so stressed out about choosing the right hairstylist and makeup artist. I have long thick hair and have always had a hard time finding a good hairstylist. After hours of searching I finally found Jen and I'am so thankful I did. Till this day after my wedding everyone has complimented on how nice my hair looked. For all Brides who are searching for someone, believe me I have all confidence that Jen will do an amazing job on your hair and you will be so thankful you went with her. I assure you, you'll find yourself writing a positive review as well. Good Luck and Best wishes

Sent on 01/04/2016

Rachel · Married on 11/15/2015

Jen is seriously the best! She came very highly recommended by my wedding planner, who I completely trusted with everything, so I just went with it and booked with Jen. I could not have been happier! From the minute I met her for my trial session, I loved her. She's young, fun, energetic, funny, and very talented. She gave me the exact look I wanted for my hair and makeup, and I felt so gorgeous the entire day and night! On the morning of the wedding, she and her crew showed up on time, set up quickly, got right to work, and made all the women in my family look fabulous! They made my mom look 20 years younger. She was even able to sneak in some time for my aunt who asked THAT morning if she could get makeup done.

Listen, you guys have a million decisions to make regarding your wedding. This is an easy one. Go with Jen Martens!

Sent on 11/23/2015

Katie · Married on 11/07/2015

Jen was amazing. I live in Seattle and was planning a wedding in palm springs. I searched for a makeup artist via social media and websites and Jens marketing was the most impressive. I did a trial with her while in town and she nailed the look. Weeks before the wedding I asked her if she could do another make up session for a photo shoot the day after the wedding and she could! I'm so lucky I found her and SO happy I booked her for the next day. She helped make my vision a reality and she is so sweet. She fit right in with my peeps day of. I wish she was in Seattle so I could find all sorts of excuses to have her do my makeup all the time! I would HIGHLY recommend her to anyone looking for a makeup artist and jealous of anyone that gets to use her more often!

Sent on 12/03/2015

Heather · Married on 11/07/2015

Jen came highly recommended by my wedding coordinator, and I am so thankful I trusted her opinion. Jen and her team did such an amazing job. They were professional, fun, and extremely talented. All of my bridesmaids loved their hair and makeup - which lasted ALL day and night. I still get compliments on how great everyone looked. As a bride, I never once worried about my hair/makeup day of. Jen did a great job of taking detailed notes during our trial run and kept in constant contact when we decided on some slight changes weeks before the wedding. She makes sure that you get the exact look you are going for. You will not be disappointed when choosing Jen for your big day!

Sent on 12/13/2015

Jeannie · Married on 10/04/2015

Jen was the best. She made me look my best and was so very accommodating, responsive and professional throughout the process. I requested a natural, retro look for my wedding at the Palm Springs Avalon Hotel and she made it happen for me. Not only that she gave very useful tips and advice on how to make my desired look fits best for me. She is also a wonderful person and I was very happy to have worked with her for the wedding. If you are looking for a make-up artist (and hair) for your wedding in Palm Springs area, look no further, Jen is your lady!

Sent on 11/20/2015

Samantha · Married on 09/25/2015

Jen is hands down the best! I live two hours outside of Palm Desert, but she did not allow that to deter us from developing a "vision" and great communicative relationship! Leading up to the big day, Jen was very easy to work with - she was very quick to respond to emails, answered all my questions, let me know what she required up front, and had very reasonable prices. She took into consideration my normal makeup routine and elevated it for my big day. I wanted to still look like me, but of course a little more WOW factor.. and she did just that! Both my face and hair held up during the whole day/night and my photo's turned out flawless. Jen is professional (yet fit in just like one of the gals!) friendly and someone you'd want to share the morning of your big day with! She provided me and all four of my bridesmaids with mini touch--up kits which came in super handy through the course of the evening. I can't thank Jen enough for making me feel like a beautiful bride on one of the most important days of my life, I am so lucky to have found her! If you're still reading this review, I highly recommend you book her now before it's too late!

Sent on 12/30/2015

Ruth · Married on 06/08/2015

What magnificent and truly stunning work Jen did on my recent Palm Springs wedding. I am from Australia and Jen bought my idea of my perfect hair and makeup come to life with no fuss at all. She was articulate and creative but calm and casual and strived to deliver truly percent results. I had dehydrated skin which was no problem with all of her high end products delivering perfection of skin suppleness on the day. I would highly reckoned he skills and expertise for hair and makeup to any bridal party. She is also sincerely divine in nature as well which we all loved. ??

Sent on 06/27/2015

Jocie · Married on 05/16/2015

I loooooove Jen! My husband and I live in Canada but had a destination wedding near Joshua Tree, CA and hired Jen to do hair and make up for myself and my bridesmaids. I am SO happy that I found Jen and that she was a part of our perfect day.

Jen was always available via email to go over looks, ideas, and answer my questions. Jen is genuinely enthusiastic and you can tell she really loves what she does. When I was desperately trying to find vendors online, Jen helped me find my florist, Native Poppy. At the hair & make-up trial we went over 3 looks that I had in mind, took photos and decided at that time. It was really helpful having a pre-trial so that the day of the wedding went stress-free. Highly recommend!

On the day of the wedding Jen and her team arrived on time with her great attitude and we had a blast getting ready. All of my bridesmaids looked beautiful and were happy with their looks. I got so many complements and felt so beautiful...it was the happiest day of my life!

I am forever grateful...thank you Jen!

Sent on 07/07/2015

Jessica · Married on 03/28/2015

Wow. Jen and her team are AMAZING. Not only did she draw up a schedule to make sure everyone got through on time (and so that I didn't have to think about it) but she was so positive and so fun the day of my wedding (and the one other time I met with her.) She was so joyous and clearly loves what she does.

Equally (if not more) importantly I have never felt more beautiful and more like my very best self. She is so skilled and completely confident. A make-up genius.

All of my bridal party were thrilled with their looks as well. I can't say enough good things about Jen. Do yourself a favor and hire Jen.

Sent on 04/19/2015

I had the awesome opportunity to work with Jen and I'm so glad I did. She is truly the nicest person. She listened to exactly what I wanted and delivered just that. :) She not only worked on my hair but my mother and niece as well. Thank you Jen!

Sent on 01/11/2015

Jen handled my hair and makeup and hair and makeup for my five bridesmaids/maid of honor, my mom and mother-in-law for my Nov. 22 wedding in Rancho Mirage, CA. I discovered Jen after she was recommended by my florist, David Rohr (of all things!) and after I had had a terrible “hair trial” experience at another salon in the desert. With only 1 or 2 days left in the desert before I had to return to New York City where I live, I called Jen and she was willing to meet me I think the next day, after hours at the salon where she works.
    Jen’s willingness to meet me on such short notice and “save” me from a bad “hair trial” experience really set the tone for the rest of us working together. I knew right away here was a professional who was willing to go the extra mile for her customers. Gosh, does that count when you have a choice of so many wedding vendors as a bride!
    Not only that, Jen was so professional to work with leading up to and on the day of my wedding. She patiently worked with 5 bridesmaids and 2 mothers answering I’m sure countless questions about their hair and makeup. Then, the day of the wedding, she whisked into my parent’s home with two other stylists and tow and banged out hair and makeup for all the ladies all in one morning.
    When I wanted a slight adjustment on my hair, she accommodated me quickly with only a very minor tweak. And when one of my bridesmaids complained about the hairstyle another stylist gave her, it was quickly transformed into exactly what she was looking for. In short, she put all of my girls at ease.
    My hair and my girls’ hair and makeup looked absolutely beautiful on the day. I was actually head banging on the dance floor and my style didn’t fall out! Now, that is talent. Then, at the end of the day it all came off with a couple swipes of makeup remover and a few pins.
    I would not have felt as beautiful on my wedding day without Jen by my side.

Sent on 01/21/2015

Romy · Married on 10/04/2014

My sincere thanks to Jen and her glam team for making us all look amazing!! From the first couple minutes into my trial session, I knew I wouldnt have to worry about I looked on my wedding day. The girls all showed up right on time and got down to business right away. We were even done ahead of schedule, which I have heard almost NEVER happens in the wedding world. I looked pretty amazing...if I do say so myself...and both my hair and makeup stayed throughout the afternoon and evening without any touch ups. It even looked great the next morning at brunch!! Bottom line - any bride would be lucky to have Jen on her special day. Not only fabulous at her job, but a geniunely great person as well.

Sent on 11/25/2014

Deborah · Married on 09/20/2014

Jen was amazing! She not only made me look amazing she gave me the exact look that I wanted. She was a delight to have on the day of the wedding. She made me feel at ease and was so pleasant and genuinely excited for me. She did both my makeup (my red lip looked great from ceremony through reception and even though I teared up a bit my winged eyeliner stayed put) and hair (she cut and colored it five days before the ceremony) and when the end of the right side of my headpiece got tangled she came up with a solution right away and pinned it into my hair beautifully. I highly recommend hiring her if you are getting married in Riverside County. Her prices are extremely fair and completely worth every penny!

Sent on 10/04/2014

Hyunhee · Married on 07/07/2014

She has a great value. She does both make up and hair. Hair style and make up on my wedding were perfect because of her!

Sent on 07/12/2014

Laura · Married on 03/02/2014

Jen is awesome! I had 11 bridesmaids at my wedding and I have never seen them look so beautiful. Jen was prompt and brought her team of only the best stylists. I felt beautiful on my wedding day and I highly recommend Jen for any make-up or hair needs. She is responsive, friendly, talented, and fabulous!

Sent on 03/26/2014

Diana · Married on 03/01/2014

Jen did an amazing job on my wedding day hair and makeup! Before I hired Jen, I had met with several people and was disappointed with my trials. After my trial with Jen, I knew I had made the right decision. She was easy to reach via email about setting up a time to meet and answered all my questions. At the trial she did 5 different hairstyles. I felt confident that she wanted to make 100 percent sure I liked what she had done. For makeup, she used great products and created the flawless, natural look that I had asked for. She also did my maid of honor's hair and make up without a trial. She perfectly executed the hairstyle she wanted based on a magazine photo. She was also a pleasure to have around while we were all getting ready. If you chose Jen for your hair and makeup you will not be disappointed!

Sent on 04/02/2014

Kim · Married on 02/01/2014

Jen did such a great job with my hair and make-up on my most important day! I had a Sunday brunch wedding and we were up bright and early. She even got to our venue before me! I think it's hard to find someone who's so great at both hair AND make-up, but she definitely exceeded my expectations! It was especially helpful and put my mind at ease to do a trial hair and make-up before the wedding. She's the best. Friendly, professional, fun and so great at what she does. She cares so much about making her clients happy. I can't even recommend her highly enough. You will not be disappointed! Best wishes :)

Sent on 04/24/2015

Tonya · Married on 12/01/2013

Jen has been doing my hair and my daughters for 4 years. I get compliments daily on my haircut. She gives you EXACTLY what you want. I choose her for any big events we have, and as my daily stylist. She's truly an artist

Sent on 12/01/2013

Jen is amazing! She actually helped me on a few different occasions, not just for my wedding. First, she helped me find my dream wedding dress! She used to be a wedding consultant at a local wedding gown salon. That's actually how I met Jen and found out that she's also a makeup and hair stylist! I booked her last year to do my hair and makeup for my company's Christmas party. My hair and makeup turned out really pretty and that's when I decided that I wanted her to do my (and my wedding party's) hair for my wedding. On my wedding day, Jen and her assistant did an amazing job on our updos. Not only did she do a good job, but she's also very professional. She showed up right on time and ready to work!

If anyone in the Coachella Valley needs to get their hair and makeup doen for any event, you should definitely hire Jen!

Sent on 11/19/2013
  • User3220622 · 2+ years ago

Jen Martens of Sherry Mesa Salon did hair and makeup for my small wedding at La Quinta Resort in early April and she was amazing. She listened to what I wanted, offered great suggestions of her own and I was thrilled with the result. I didn't have an updo but one of my bridesmaids did, and let me tell you it was gorgeous -- and elegant -- while at the same time very young and contemporary-looking. My makeup was flawless. In addition, Jen was also just a pleasure to deal with. Relaxed and fun but very professional. I would not hesitate to recommend her. Thanks, Jen, for making us all beautiful!

Oh -- and being a former bridal consultant, she was able to offer all kinds of great tips during my hair and makeup test (not all hair and makeup-related). She actually helped me find my wedding dress (!) and also the best florist ever -- Dave Rohr (see separate review). And speaking of the dress, on the day of my wedding we found a few wrinkles (it was a destination wedding). She called room service for a steamer and had them out like a pro in no time. Over and above her job description!

Sent on 04/26/2013