Jay West Reviews

Jay West 5
Jay West 6
Jay West 7

3.5

I purchased my bridal gown at Jay West. On arrival, we were introduced to a bridal specialists who helped us pick out gowns. They don't have a huge selection; but the ones they do have are BEAUTIFUL and you can tell while they were picked to be in their store. The specialist let me select dresses and added in a few that she thought would compliment the style of my wedding and my shape. I ended up purchasing a dress I would have NEVER picked on my own! I attribute my beautiful gown 100% to the expertise at Jay West! Their bridal specialists have a great eye for picking our what will look good on you! I didn't need any major alterations; only a bustle and the loops were redone on the lace-up back since there were a few that were broken on arrival but the seamstress replaced them all for free. Picking up my dress was a different story. I had an appointment scheduled to pick up my dress, however we changed our flight home and arrived a day earlier (destination "home" wedding). I called to see if I could pick up my dress a day early and explained the situation. The girl told me it was no problem and I could come in any time that day. When I arrived, I told the woman my name and my sister and I went downstairs to wait for my dress. Ten min. later my sister went upstairs to see what was taking so long and found the girl fixing a mannequin... she said she couldn't find it (and failed to tell us and left us downstairs!). After a bit of confusion, they realized the dress was still with the seamstress who wasn't going to be in for a few more hours. Just make sure you communicate when picking up your dress- they're not actually kept at the store since the seamstress is off-premise which would have been nice to know.

Sent on 01/04/2013

Jay West's reply:

Again, we apologize for the miscommunication. Our seamstresses have all been with us for over 10 years and give their home and cell numbers to all of their brides so they can communicate directly. Kay made special arrangements to meet with you when you requested and waited for hours without a call. We are sorry if you were in any way inconvenienced and hope you had a wonderful wedding day!
  • Leanna T.

Leanna · Married on 03/02/2013

3.8
      3.0

I had a good experience at Jay West, except for the fact that the seamstress messed up one of the snaps in trying to take the dress in. I bought my gown off the rack there and received a discount for purchasing my dress the first time I tried it on. I worked with Patty, I believe, who was very businesslike--I appreciated that about her. I don't need to be pampered or fawned over--I just wanted to find a dress. I did find myself rolling my eyes, though, when the women in the shop were aghast that my fiance was there for my dress fittings. It's not 1950 anymore, folks.

Anyway. The process of purchasing the dress was pretty painless. They had several dresses that I wanted to try on, but I ended up just trying on one because I loved it so much I felt I didn't need to evaluate any others. The seamstress I worked with, Kay, is a lovely person and did an okay job with the bottom of the dress, but she moved one of the inner snaps so far over that it couldn't be snapped on the day of. I have no idea why she did this, and it's a good thing the unsnapped part was covered by the corset.

Jay West was also willing to ship the dress to Florida at cost.

Sent on 02/02/2013

Meredith · Married on 06/20/2008

3.6
      3.5

Very happy with the price of my dress, some of the staff were pretty snooty, and the seamstress although VERY nice and accomodating, didn't do everything I wished she had, my dress was too big and it shows in my pictures.

Sent on 10/08/2008

Caroline · Married on 08/06/2011

3.2
      2.5
      1.5

I ordered a sash for my wedding gown from here. The woman who helped me pick it out was very helpful. They never called me when the sash came in. I kept calling and they told me the sash was not in when in fact it was. I got the sash and I asked if I could return it the same day I picked it up (I had a fitting and I wanted to see if I liked it) and they said no. The sash was stained and torn and they still did not let me return it. That was $100 down the drain.

Sent on 08/23/2011

Kelly · Married on 09/21/2013

1.0

I receintly purchased my BM dresses from this store, however I was less than thrilled with the experience. I made an appt in advance and told them that I had a large group coming with me (12 ppl). It turns out the store is very small, and there was no where for my group to go. We were directed back into a narrow hallway to look at dresses, and were basically standing on top of each other through the whole appt. There was no privacy at all, so I wouldn't recommend this location for large groups.

Also, when we first arrived, it was very crowded in the store, so the sales person was understandably busy. One of my BM's, in an effort to help me, pointed out that we had made an appt ahead of time and needed assistance. The sales person replied to her in a very condescending and cocky way. Now, I understand it was a Sat and it was very busy, and maybe my friend should not have said anything at all, but she was only trying to assist me because things seemed very unorganized. A professional would have responded politely, not spoken to her like a 3 yr old. I seriously considered walking out. The only reason I didn't leave was because I had so many people with me and it would have been too hard to cordinate where to go next. I will say that the woman did appologize, I assume she realized how rude she sounded afterwards, but it really set an awful tone to my appointment and made us all very uncomfortable.

We did wind up purchasing the dresses here, because they give a 20% discount if you have more than 5 girls in your party. Also, the sales people were very fast about taking everyones measurements and placing the orders. We were in and out very quickly. Luckily I picked the first and only dress the girls tried on. If I had needed to look at more than one dress we probably would have gone elsewhere just because it was so cramped and it was too hard to look around at anything.

Sent on 02/27/2013

Jay West's reply:

Hi Kelly, I'm sorry that we did not have the space to accommodate your party, unfortunately our store is very small and it is difficult on the weekends to make everyone comfortable. I do apologize if you felt anyone was rude, we do try to give everyone as much help and attention as possible. I do appreciate you choosing to purchase your bridesmaid gowns here and hope that your next experience with us will be much better. We look forward to working with you and your wedding party. Thank You.

Jennifer · Married on 12/05/2009

2.4
      1.0

Jay West was good but their service is much better during the sale then during fittings and alterations. They have a good selection of dresses and manufactures. They were not willing to help me find a bolero jacket (which I didnt end up using). I wanted somthing covering my shoulders for my December wedding but they only offered faux furs. Even when I showed them pictures of what I had in mind they sort of just ignored my requests and stated they didnt carry "ANYTHING" like what I wanted. : ( Their dresses seemed a bit prices for mid-level designers.

Sent on 12/08/2009

Jessica · Married on 07/10/2010

1.8
      0.5

I only got my bridesmaid dresses here. The price was good and I loved the dresses. The sales people were only nice that day. When my dresses were a month late I would call and they would give me an attitude every time. I also found my dress at Jay West (that I previously bought somewhere else) it was $700 more than I paid.

Sent on 08/17/2010

Tayler Thompson · Married on 03/15/2019

1.0

Haven't had 1 good experience yet...

The bride is buying her gown from here, as well as, the bridesmaid dresses. One sales associate inappropriately commented "he has such a big head" to my 3 month old nephew. They didn't have the correct bridesmaid dresses written down and after 4 times of visiting still didn't have a correct list. They took down the incorrect style# for a dress when ordering. They claimed I didn't pay or place a deposit, but I paid in full. Brides dress arrived 1 month late. Scheduled an appt to try on the size she ordered, put her in a dress that was too small and told her she has time to lose wait and ends up it was another brides dress in a smaller size. Her dress was mixed up with another brides. They never checked it when it arrived and never checked it the day of the appointment. The woman who was helping us couldn't put on the veil. We asked for bobby pins and she said they're upstairs, the woman upstairs said they're downstairs and they had only 1. The bride and everyone in the bridal party has had the same issues and experience.

Sent on 11/03/2018

Jay West's reply:

Hi Tayler, I’m sorry you feel this way, no one ever suggested for the bride to lose weight, that did not happen ,yes as I apologized profusely the gown same gown in a different size was put into her bag and was taken care of. I’m sure no one suggested your nephew had a large head, we all have children and the woman waiting on you is 5 months pregnant. Enjoy your weekend

chante · Married on 08/22/2015

1.0

The people there do not have good customer service skills..no one spoke to my maid of honor and I when we entered the store. .I wasn't assisted when tried on my gown and not to mention I felt as if I was being rushed out the store...There's nothing more Despairing than to feel unwelcomed.
    I dont know what to do because my heart is set on this particular dress from there. .I refused to give them my money
    POOR POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS !

Sent on 02/11/2015

Jay West's reply:

Chante, I apologize that you were not given quality customer service. Unfortunately, without an appointment this time of year being prom season and wedding season we try to help everyone as best as we possibly can. I'm sorry you felt unwelcomed we never want anyone to feel this way in our store.

Laura · Married on 05/11/2012

0.0

I am so upset at the way Jay West in Haddonfield, NJ treated my son's girlfriend. She had purchased a very expensive prom dress from them. When she tried it on in the store it fit beautifully. A week later after she took it home....with no alterations it does not fit. And I don't mean by just a little bit,it doesn't fit by 4 inches. She did not gain weight for this dress not to fit. I think someone switched the dress before she took it home.

After they returned to the store to try to solve the issue and exchange the dress they were told that all sales are final and the best they can do is sell her a new dress at a discount. Well the new dress will be a larger size....too big.so now she will have to pay for alterations. So what discount did she give her. And she now has 2 identical prom dresses.

This is extremely wrong! How can a business take advantage of people like this.

Sent on 03/30/2012

Jay West's reply:

Mrs. Stinsman with all due respect you are not her mother and did not purchase the dress, the gown was a stock piece it was not ordered or altered for her, the dress fit when it was purchased and when she tried it on a few months later the gown was snug, we only received one of those dresses and it would not benefit us in any way to switch gowns on her. We did everything we could to get her a new dress ASAP so that she could wear the dress of her dreams, we have been in business for 43 years and we are not out to get anyone our sole purpose is to help our brides, prom girls and all of our customers get what they want and need while providing them the best customer service as possible, I'm sorry you do not agree with how it was handled but her mother will be the judge of that since she purchased the gown and has been shopping with us for years. Posting negative comments all over facebook and having your friends respond is very childish, but we do hope that your son and his girlfriend enjoy their prom, it is all about the kids.