J. Scott Catering Reviews

112 | Malvern, PA

112 Reviews for J. Scott Catering

1 User photo

Bernadette · Married on 12/10/2016

Our venue, The Radnor Hunt, exclusively uses J. Scott for its catering of special events. This was actually fantastic because we had one less decision to make for our wedding, and I knew that J. Scott was known for its quality catering.

Working with Alicia C. throughout the process was wonderful. She was extremely responsive and went back and forth with me on several menu decisions without any sense of annoyance! She even helped us problem solve our appetizer course. The tasting experience made us feel special and like they were focused on making sure our day was perfect. They incorporated our feedback into their day-of details. Additionally, Alicia willingly let us come back later and change our linen decisions after we'd already spent a lot of time reviewing that detail.

Day of, everything looked beautiful and even better the food tasted delicious! Our guests were very pleased with the choices we had made and you could tell there was a steady stream of appetizers during cocktail hour. Alicia was very attentive to our needs on the day of and even made sure we were given one last cocktail when the bar closed since we were on the dance floor!

J.Scott and Alicia were very accommodating to our schedule since we were planning our wedding out of town, and they made it really easy to work with them. I would recommend them again to those using the venue or considering an event on the Main Line.

Sent on 03/03/2017

Jeannie · Married on 06/21/2014

Our daughter's wedding reception was celebrated June 21st at the Radnor Hunt Club. All went so well that day and was made even more perfect having J Scott Caterers handle the event! From the beginning, Scott and Diane made us feel comfortable and took a keen interest in what our desires were for the day. Their professionalism, attention to detail, timeliness and knowledge helped to make the planning go smoothly. We sincerely felt they were committed to making our event special!!

Sent on 07/01/2014

J Scott did an amazing job for our wedding at Radnor Hunt in Malvern PA. It was the perfect setting, the food was amazing, and they coordinated everything perfectly!! The only reason I gave 4 out of 5 stars, is that for the food, I made the mistake of not choosing the option where you can order off a menu, instead the guests had to pre-select their meals, I put the meal choices on the escort cards, however the wait staff still asked each person what they ordered, which I did not like. Other than that small detail (which could have been avoided if I chose a different option), their staff is AMAZING, SO easy to work with, and the owner came to introduce himself the day before the wedding, and contacted me directly right before the wedding. GREAT customer service, top notch. Not to mention the food was unbelievable.

Sent on 10/08/2012

I would absolutely recommend J. Scott Catering. After choosing the Phoenixville Foundry as our venue, we spoke with Amanda and she had us visit to show us our options. After that, we were sold. She took our ideas, added her knowledge and started planning everything we would need for our dinner and reception. J. Scott's attention to detail is flawless. The staff is professional and friendly. Most importantly, the food was fantastic. We are very happy with our decision to use J. Scott Catering.

Sent on 06/03/2012

charlotte · Married on 09/04/2011

J scott catering was AMAZING!!!! i fully recommend Marcel and J Scott Catering for any brides out there. Marcel did an amazing job bringing everything together - we had 3 stations with Memphis BBQ, Belgian mussels and small fries cones, and Korean jap chae, mandu and bulgogi (we are a very international family) - they pulled it off perfectly. Everyone was raving about the food, the decoration of the stations were awesome, and the whole night went seamlessly. We also had mojitos as our signature drink and they were delicious. Marcel, thank you so much for everything!

Sent on 09/11/2011
  • F

Meg · Married on 07/29/2011

We just recently had our wedding at the Phoenixville Foundry, and J Scott was our caterer. Amanda and her staff were fantastic! The day went just as planned thanks to the help of Amanda. They were extremely flexible, especially when you have to prepare a special dietary meal for a family member. Amanda was able to help out when it came to the linens. She gave us several different options, and we loved the final choice! Also, Amanda was able to remind me of things that needed to be done so that everything turned out just right. Her experience in the industry is very noticeable. If you are looking for a caterer, look no further J Scott is hard to beat!

Sent on 08/09/2011

Paige · Married on 04/23/2016

What a great time we had at our April 23rd wedding reception!! Everything went smoothly at Springton Manor thanks to Alicia’s attention to detail, kindness, and professionalism. From the day we started working with Alicia, she always had time for questions and recommendations … something we really valued. With Alicia’s team’s help, all of our ideas and plans were executed to perfection. We received many compliments about the food, especially the appetizers (loved the Reuben, Fish and Chips, Chicken and Waffle, and the Mac & Cheese station). The staff was great .. the servers and bartenders were very attentive. At the end of the night, everything was packed and ready to go. This was so appreciated. We were happy with our decisions to extend the reception to keep the fun going and to go with J Scott’s recommendation to not have the wooden dance floor (the cement pad looked great). J Scott could be clearer about what is included with the venue and the catering. However, J Scott resolved a minor issue in a professional manner. A beautiful venue with an exceptional caterer!

Sent on 05/30/2016

Megan · Married on 05/14/2016

We’re really happy with the service we received from J. Scott Catering for our wedding at Springton Manor Farm. Scott’s enthusiasm and genuine interest in our event when we met with him during our venue search was one of our motivations to get married at Springton Manor. Throughout our wedding planning process, Scott, Amy, and the rest of the team were responsive and accommodating -- they were unfazed when we asked if we could bring six guests to our menu tasting, and gave us all a great experience that day that we’ll remember forever! We were well taken care of throughout the evening of the wedding, with a staff member always on hand to keep our drinks full and make sure that we’d gotten a chance to taste all of our hor d'oeuvres. Our guests are still raving about the food (including the late night cheesesteaks, which were a big hit!)

Sent on 06/20/2016

J.Scott will put you at ease and allow you to enjoy your day. Everything was perfect and my guests raved about the service, presentation and food. Most importantly, I was confident that every detail would be perfect making my day stress free and happy!

Sent on 05/11/2014

Kate · Married on 10/18/2014

J Scott Catering is much more than a cate rings company. We worked with Kristen and she became like a wedding planner for us! She was so laid back yet professional and surely knows how to do her job. From a year before the wedding to the wedding day, Kristen was there to help ensure everything went smooth and perfect. J Scott Catering cooks up delicious food too! Guests at our wedding said it was the best "wedding food" they have had. Thank you J Scott Catering team!

Sent on 10/26/2014

Lucy · Married on 07/26/2008

3.5
      2.0

J Scott Catering was the sole caterer for our venue and so we looked at caterer and venue as a package, since our other top venue also had a sole caterer. We chose J Scott because they gave us more food options and worked with us on pricing. Our wedding was in the height of summer and we had a number of vegetarian guests, and so I didn’t want it to be a lot of heavy meat options. They were happy to add other vegetable options, while still giving us meat alternatives. Since we were only going with one chicken entre. They suggested adding shredded salmon to the salad bar and our risotto station had meat options as well. Although the competing sight could offer us the ability to bring in our own alcohol, which would have been a big money saver, J Scott worked with us on their price and with the venue on its bar price to get to a place that worked for us. They also do not include a mandatory 20% service charge, but tax is already included in their price, which made it much easier to judge. However, when it comes down to it, be sure to read and question the final bill. The final bill I got was only about $70 less expensive than the original contract for 100 people, despite the fact that the head had dropped to 91, which is almost 10% less than the original count. She responded saying she hadn’t adjusted some of the equipment needs for the lower head count. Had she not already messed up what I owed the venue for the bar fee, I might have chalked this up to a simple slip up, but it would be nice to check over those figures so you don’t overcharge people. It makes me wonder about the calculations done that I didn’t have information on and couldn’t check.
    Their representative was very nice and was responsive via phone and e-mail when I had questions or concerns, but she was also the person who wrote up the additions to my contract with the venue, which later came into dispute, and despite the fact that an additional charge was not written in the contract and the contract was signed by the venue’s representative, the catering person still called me (two days before my wedding) to convince me that this was a normal fee and I should pay it. I found this to be very unprofessional.
    Beyond that she was very nice and continued to be very nice, but the real problem was that she dropped the ball quite a few times and the details were not there.
    My parents are divorced and so I worked very hard on a seating chart that would give my mother and my father their own tables that were still equal distance from our sweetheart table. The catering group managed to mess up the table numbers and put my dad back a table.
    The chairs, which I had asked to be set up as ten rows of five on either side of the aisle, thus ten rows of ten, were set up as five rows of ten on either side of the aisle. There were a number of reasons I needed shorter rows and a longer aisle. I did catch the problem before the guests arrived and they did fix it.
    Other things were more random…here are a couple example:
    At the salad bar, the lettuce was on one end of the table and the plates were on the other end with the other toppings and dressing in the middle.
    The caterers had made a big deal about the fact we wouldn’t get to eat much, but that it wasn’t a big deal, because they’d pack us a bag with a little of everything that we could take home that night and eat. They gave us the remaining layer of cake, but no doggie bag.
    At the tasting, I took notes on things and took pictures of their presentation to remember. Some of their dishes changed. The tomato, mozzarella salad that we’d be served with great grilled red onions in the middle no longer had the red onions. I had been talking to people about how good they were, but they weren’t there.
    There was an appetizer at the tasting that we thought was a little dry, so we asked if it could be served with a horseradish sauce. We were told that would be no trouble, but despite the fact I saw that appetizer being served, I never saw any sauce.

Sent on 08/19/2008

Justine · Married on 10/01/2011

2.0

I can tell you all the food and decor was EXCELLENT and my husband and I received many many compliments on our caterer, and still do. What was less than impressive was the professionalism, or lack there of, that we received. We often had a difficult time getting a response to our inquiries throughout planning, and the responses we did get were, for the most part, terse and abrupt. This made for a stressful time planning and interacting with our caterer. Overall, the wedding day came together for us and as I said, the food and decor were amazing! The one final interaction we had was also very diasspointing- after signing a contract detailing the exact cost of "added time" to our wedding (in the event we decided to add time the night of the celebration, which we ended up doing...), we were asked to pay more than double that cost! When citing the contracted fee for the added time, we were told "looks like you got a great deal." I do not find that to be a "great deal", but it is the cost we contractually agreed to pay...we could have done without that final comment. Those types of interactions left a bit of a poor taste in our mouths and ultimately resulted in a less than stellar review of a caterer who did a wonderful job with the food & decor for our wedding.

Sent on 12/17/2011