The Powder Room Reviews

The Powder Room 5
The Powder Room 6
The Powder Room 7

Dyanna · Married on 10/11/2013

Katie and Linda did my hair and makeup, and hair for all of my bridesmaids and my mom for our wedding. Everyone got exactly the style they wanted and it stayed looking good all night!

Sent on 04/05/2014

Alexia · Married on 12/29/2012

DeeAnna of The Powder Room was nice enough to accommodate my small wedding even at the very last minute. She was very professional--showing up on time for our appointment at our hotel and making sure that we were happy with our looks. She did my hair and makeup and I couldn't be happier with the result. The look she did for me was exactly what I had envisioned. She made me look so
    flawless during my wedding day! My mother and sister also loved their hair and makeup. I've had many experiences with other hair & makeup artists that promised to give me the exact look I asked for but never really delivering. DeeAnna came ready and delivered.

Sent on 03/03/2013

Genevieve · Married on 09/02/2011

I could not have been happier with my hair and make up experience with Jennifer at the Powder Room. During my trial for hair and make up she was more than willing to try different options, and she really listened to what I wanted instead of trying to convince me of what she thought would be best. She works quickly and does a great job. She arrived at our site the day of the wedding promptly and everyone who had hair and make up done was more than happy with their results. Wonderful experience, I definitely recommend!

Sent on 09/27/2011

Sara · Married on 08/13/2011

Deanna at It's a Date did the make-up and hair for my wedding-for myself, my maid of honor and my mom. She did a great job. I really don't wear makeup and during my preview day I told her that it was a bit too much for me, so on the day of my wedding she toned it down and it was great! She's really fun too, so you have a good time while getting dolled up!

Sent on 08/19/2011

Laura · Married on 06/25/2010

Mary did an amazing job on my hair and make-up. She listened to exactly what I said and made me look so natural and gorgesou! My girls and I got several comments on our hair and make-up! We were all very happy. Thank you so much!

Sent on 08/19/2010

Jessica · Married on 07/07/2007

This group of talented professional cosmetologists and hair stylists are amazing! I gave them very little notice, having forgotten(!) to reserve hair and makeup for a very popular wedding date, and they accomodated me with smiles and a friendly attitude. They were punctual, flexible (one of my bridesmaids changed her mind at the last minute and wanted her hair done, too), courteous, and relatively reasonably priced. For their services, EXTREMELY reasonably priced. Thank you for making my special day so much more perfect!

Sent on 09/29/2011

Anna · Married on 08/12/2017

Heather Romero and her team did my wedding makeup and hair for me and my bridesmaids, moms, and aunts for our August 2017 wedding and we all loved how it turned out! I did my trial a few months earlier in which Heather really put me at ease and came up with a great bridal look for me based on my inspiration images. I don't (and neither does my bridal party) wear a lot of makeup, so I was concerned I would look overly done up. I was pleasantly surprised that I still felt natural, (like I could still see my own skin through the foundation) yet with some nice added drama for photos. They also showed up on time ready to roll and got done a few minutes ahead of schedule which was awesome. Thank you Heather and team!

Sent on 10/10/2017
    The Powder Room 8
    The Powder Room 9
    The Powder Room 10

Taylor · Married on 08/13/2016

Alisa & her team from It's a Date really nailed the hair & makeup for my wedding. Alisa and I did a trial run and she listened to everything I wanted / was afraid of (ex: feeling like a clown, etc)! My makeup was done perfectly- so natural and it felt great, not heavy or caked on. We also tried a few hair styles which with her magic & vision, she turned me into a girl who loves updos (this is never the case!). I felt so elegant walking down the aisle and my bridesmaids looked like total super models. Alisa's team was even able to fit in an extra makeup appointment for one of my bridesmaids who changed her mind on the day of the wedding. They were wonderful women and I would absolutely recommend them for your wedding!

Sent on 08/29/2016

erin · Married on 04/30/2016

I looked beautiful on my special day, all thanks to Deanna! She came out to our B&B in Cloverdale and made us all feel so comfortable and excited to get pampered and made pretty. She was super flexible, fitting in an extra girl's makeup and the flower girl's hair, dealt with my last minute change of mind with my hairstyle, and even stayed late because my florist was running late with my hair flowers. Bonus, my hair looked gorgeous for the next 4 days! Whatever products they use are top notch and look very natural. Thank you for making me the prettiest I have ever felt in my life. Exactly what I wanted on my wedding day.

Sent on 05/07/2016

It's a Date was great for me! I wanted a very natural look and they paired me with a stylist who could provide that. Heather was great! Once I let her know I don't wear a ton of makeup regularly, she constantly checked in with me to make sure the test makeup look she was doing didn't feel too heavy. Both my hair and makeup came out perfectly and really matched what I wanted. I don't have a bridal party so I only needed to book one stylist for the day and was very excited when she told me it would only take 1 hour to do both my hair and makeup.

Sent on 09/16/2015

Pamela · Married on 08/16/2008

Katie did my make-up and hair for my wedding. I have never looked so beautiful! I looked just the way I pictured I wanted to look. She really listened to what I wanted. She also did my maid of honor's make-up and hair. She is 15 years old and Katie gave her a look that was gorgeous, yet still age appropriate.

Sent on 11/02/2008

Kristin · Married on 08/09/2008

The girls from It's a Date did an amazing job with all of our hair and make-up! They came to our venue and brought all the needed supplies! It was fabulous!!!

Sent on 10/05/2008

Heather was awesome for my trial run and my wedding day! She was punctual, patient with my crazy bridesmaids and helped make my day go smoothly.

Sent on 09/11/2016

Lorraine · Married on 06/14/2014

Well worth the money, Heather did a great job!

Sent on 07/03/2014

karin · Married on 08/07/2009

3.5

Deanna, of It's a date, was wonderful to work with. When we did the dry run, I made her do it twice because I couldn't decide what I wanted. She was really patient. I think I was a bit of an overly emotional bride that day, and it didn't faze her.
    When it came to wedding day, she knew exactly what I wanted, and she made the perfect choices, which were really specific, without me having to remind her of anything. Everyone said I looked amazing - hair and makeup. My hair was especially pretty. When I tried to duplicate it the next day, it was impossible, and Deanna made it look so easy!
    I felt beautiful. Not "made up." It felt very natural. And it stayed on all night. She was completely professional, from start to finish. And a sweetie, to boot!

Sent on 09/02/2009

Veronica · Married on 11/08/2014

3.5

Katie was great! I went in for my trial and didn't like it because I had originally told her sometime completely different then I had initially wanted (my fault) so I took the risk of waiting until my wedding day "play." And boy did Katie kill it!!! Katie and her assistant did 12 hair and 1 bridal hair + makeup in 3 hours!! Super quick! I would definitely recommend It's A Date :)

Sent on 11/18/2014

Nancy · Married on 06/03/2012

I had Jenifer do the hair and makeup for our wedding party. Her fee includes a trial run for the bride, but it's definitely more on the high end. I was not completely satisfied with my trial run, but come wedding day, she did my makeup beautifully!

She also did a great job on the bridesmaids and moms. I think she really knows what make up /hair compliments each age/skin-tone/dress color. She is also super-quick so you get some extra time to relax. I highly recommend getting Jenifer for your wedding hair and makeup if you are fine the prices reasonable for you!

Sent on 07/02/2012

Marissa · Married on 05/28/2011

I had Carrie from The Powder Room do my wedding hair and make-up and she was AMAZING! She listened to everything I wanted and gave me recommendations based on my skin-tone and hair-type. She is super friendly (not at all snobby like some some hair and make-up artists are) and made me feel very calm the morning of my wedding. She and her assistant budgeted their time well and got everyone done, making sure I (the bride) was her priority. I would highly recommend Carrie!

Sent on 01/04/2012

Andrea · Married on 06/27/2009

3.0

The star ratings given in this review are for Jennifer Smallwood.

Jennifer did an amazing job with my hair and makeup and I recommend her highly. I had a hair and make-up preview, a second hair preview, my wedding day hair and make-up, and my hair for the rehearsal dinner and welcome dinner done by Jennifer. From the first preview I could tell that she is extremely professional. In a business dealing with bridezillas and mothers of the bride, Jennifer has the perfect temperament to deal with all types. Our photographer said that in his opinion Jennifer is the best in the business.

At the first preview Jennifer listened carefully to what I wanted, looked at photographs I brought, and asked follow up questions about what it was I liked about the pictures. She did my hair exactly as I asked, which was loose and up, but I decided that I didn't like that look. I went back for a second hair preview and asked her to do three different styles-smooth up, curly down, and curly half up. I was having a hard time making a decision so I asked Jennifer for her opinion. Jennifer is very professional and does not offer her opinion, or pass judgment unless specifically asked. She asked me questions about how I do my own hair when I want to dress up and other question to get an idea about how I envisioned my look for the wedding day. After getting this information she didn't offer her opinion right away, but instead thought about it. When she finally gave her opinion, it was well thought out and for that reason I placed high value on it. I decided to go with a smooth up-do for the wedding, and Jennifer had the great suggestion that I do the other hair styles I was interested in for the rehearsal dinner. I booked Jennifer to do a half-up do for the rehearsal dinner and a down-curly do for the welcome dinner. I told her for the welcome dinner that I wanted waves, not curls. To better understand exactly what I wanted she asked me what I thought the difference between waves and curls are. I was very impressed with her attention to detail and the extent to which she tried to please me.

The day of the wedding Jennifer was great. The hair was even better than from the preview and I asked her to make a modification to the make-up, which she did. She also did a great job with the hair of my mother, mother in law, and sister. Jennifer also worked very well with our photographer. She was set up in the bathroom, but at the photographer's request she moved into better lighting in the kitchen area so that he could take some getting ready shots. If I were to do the whole thing over again next summer (theoretically) I would without a doubt hire Jennifer.

Sent on 07/15/2009

A · Married on 10/15/2016

2.5

I had Jessica and another stylist come to our rented house to do hair and make up for me and my bridesmaids. They were both wonderful and did an amazing job. I don't wear a lot of make up so didn't want to look to painted. Jessica listened to what I wanted and did a subtle and beautiful job. My only complaint is with the wedding coordinators. I often had to call 3 or 4 times to speak with them and they took way to long to follow up on things (e.g the contract). Despite this, I would recommend this vendor.

Sent on 10/23/2016

3.8
      2.5

The hair and make-up they completed was beautiful and they were flexible to our very early start (7 AM). I am dinging them a bit on my review for professionalism and responsiveness for a couple reasons - they kept forgetting our arrangement, which made me very nervous for the day-of logistics (thankfully everything was fine). They forgot pricing we had agreed to over the phone and basically said "too bad." The make-up artist who I worked with was not particularly friendly and seemed in a rush to get out of there - considering how much we were paying, it came across some-what rude and unprofessional. She was such in a rush that she forgot to get payment from one of my bridesmaids. They did not make us feel like it was a special day for us rather than an inconvenience for them to be there. The pricing is competitive with the area but outrageous for the service and time.

Sent on 05/04/2016

Erin · Married on 06/25/2011

3.4
      1.5
      3.5

I worked with Jenni H. at the Powder Room for my wedding. She does great work and I have no complaints about the hair or make-up for myself or bridesmaids. My only complaint is o she was difficult to get a hold of. I would have to call and email her several times before getting a response. Part of this was due to email difficulties they were having, but it shouldn't take over 2 weeks to get back to a bride who is stressing about something. Her communication was much better as the date got closer and I would recommend her as long as you aren't a needy bride!

Sent on 07/12/2011

Sonal · Married on 06/18/2011

3.2
      2.5

Overall - I loved the final style and look that I got for the wedding. But getting there was an uphill task.

My trial for hair & makeup was fun, but I can't say I liked any of the looks or the makeup. I was definitely impressed by the professionalism on the trial day, as my beautician (Dee Anna) didn't hesitate to try out up-do's, partly up partly down, etc. It took around 1.5hrs but we finally found the look I wanted.

Sadly on the day of the wedding it all seemed SUPER rushed. Within 35mins the hair was done and there was no separate mirror to view the back - I was asked to look in a tiny compact!! Plus, my family was late to the hotel so no one was there to help guide or keep the style in check. By the time they did arrive, my Mum was really upset with how untidy the hairdo looked. I loved it from the front but had no idea what a rats nest it looked like from the back. We decided to cover it up with my veil and leave it at that.

We were very disappointed that on the day itself my appointment was so rushed (because she had another wedding to go to which was farther away) and that I didn't feel like the hairdo was as good as the day of the trial. Still, I think this salon has some fantastic hairstylists - just make sure you have a spare mirror of your own if you have them come out to you & make sure you're happy before you let them leave!

Sent on 07/12/2011
  • Ryan

Ryan · Married on 07/19/2009

3.0

Make sure you know what you want, they weren't able to give me any good ideas.

Sent on 10/09/2009

Jennifer · Married on 05/24/2008

2.4
      2.0

I highly recommend a practice session for your hair and makeup. My curls held too well (think Shirley Temple) and my makeup faded fast. On the day of my wedding I brought some of my own make up that I know works well and I insisted that she smooth out my hair more so it would not be too tight. Taking an active role will insure that you get what you want! Also, give yourself some slack on the timing. My girl was 15 minutes late which made us rushed when the photographer showed up.

Sent on 10/18/2008

The Powder Room's reply:

Dear Busy Bride,
    I'm so sorry to hear that your hair and makeup didn't turn out as you hoped! We try hard to listen and communicate well so that we can accomplish your desires. I'm sorry you weren't able to have a preview and work these things out before hand. I appreciate your advive to do a trial run, we agree that they are important. Any feed back you can give us would be much appreciated so that we can improve our service to new brides. Please accept our apology and my regret that we didn't hit the mark. Sincerely, It's a Date at The Powder Room