Isla Del Sol Yacht & Country Club Reviews

Isla Del Sol Yacht & Country Club 5
Isla Del Sol Yacht & Country Club 6
Isla Del Sol Yacht & Country Club 7

Sharon · Married on 04/18/2009

Isla del Sol was a dream come true for my daughter's weddding! To have a private beach already set up for the perfect ceremony then a poolside reception was wonderful! The staff was fun, attentive, flexible and helpful. Donna was a delight to work with and saved me the expense of hiring a wedding coordinator. She had done hundreds of weddings and has such a calming effect for me. The food was wonderful and everything was set up beautifully! This is a fabulous facility which I highly reccommend.

Sent on 08/02/2009

Rosalyn · event on 06/14/2016

3.5

My husband and I picked this venue for our vow renewal ceremony and re epsilon to celebrate on our 20 th anniversary. The property is beautiful and gazebo on the private beach was exactly what we were looking for. From the beginning Melissa was wonderful in assisting with the planning and menu. She was also wonderful in coordinating with the vendors. The food was delicious and staff were great during event. I wouldn't hesitate to hold an event there. It was a wonderful evening!!

Sent on 07/03/2016

Krystina · Married on 04/23/2016

We had our wedding on the beach at Isla del Sol in April and it was absolutely incredible. The venue is gorgeous, the food was amazing and you get the entire place to yourself on your big day. Working with Melissa made everything that much better. She is so quick to respond to your questions/concerns, offers advice when you ask for it, and doesn't push her own opinions on you. She is also very sweet and never makes you feel like you are bothering her! These things were especially important for us since we were planning our wedding from New York. I cannot imagine having our wedding anywhere else.

Sent on 07/31/2016

Cathy · Married on 03/24/2012

If you're looking for a beautiful, beach wedding- let me make it easy for you and just go check out Isla Del Sol. It speaks for itself. We both wanted a beach wedding and were so disappointed with the venues along the beach. We did NOT want strange vacationers or spring breakers overlooking our ceremony and there is no way to avoid that. Also, the reception rooms were all inside with no views of the beach during dinner! Totally defeats the purpose of getting married on the beach.

IDSYCC is the PERFECT venue for an intimate and breathtaking beach wedding. The ceremony was perfect, with a beautiful backdrop of the water and yachts. Cocktail hour was accompanied by a gorgeous sunset and the banquet hall was exactly what we were looking for- dinner overlooking the water.

Alan was so great to work with and made the whole planning process so much easier. I was worried about not having a separate "wedding planner," and I had nothing to be worried about. Alan was very organized and was able to help with ALL my questions and came up with great suggestions. He's been doing this for years, and his knowledge is invaluable. He organized the rehearsal dinner and kept everything running smoothly the day of the wedding. The day flew by, and I don't remember a single thing going wrong! (Actually, we had 2 bridesmaid dresses split.... and ALAN helped fix them up and get them back on the dance floor!!) Everyone at IDSYCC was so great to work with also. My guests told me that they LOVED the bartender and the wait staff. Everyone was so friendly and genuinely seemed happy to be a part of our day. The food was also AMAZING! I was very worried about having enough during cocktail hour and having everything hot and fresh for 200 guest. Again, I had nothing to worry about. My family, to this day, still rave about the food anytime my wedding comes up. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day and IDSYCC made it so easy to do!

Sent on 07/07/2012
  • Stephanie

Stephanie · Married on 08/12/2012

3.0

First, let me just say that this venue is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! From the beach to the reception with large windows overlooking the coast, this place was Sean and I's dream wedding. The food was to die for as all of my guests complemented us on the entrees. In fact, I didn't hear a single complaint from any of my guests, even the fussy ones, about the food. Also, due to the fact that it rained on our wedding day, we had our wedding inside with an indoor waterfall.

Unfortunately, despite all the fabulous things I can say about this place, we did run into the largest speed bumps in the wedding planning due slow responses and miscommunications with our coordinator, Alan. He was always very kind, polite, and addressed concerns but there were times that I would not receive a response from him about questions I had within a reasonable time-frame. Perhaps, he is just not great with emails but I recall waiting two weeks to hear back from him about table sizes, which was frustrating because I had to put a lot of my vendors/contracts on hold until I heard back from him. Usually, if I sent an email, I wouldn't hear a response back for at least 5 days, which I was fine with until the final weeks before the wedding. I, honestly, would have let that stuff slide but I wasn't pleased with what occurred the week before my wedding. A month prior, Alan informed me that he would not be at our wedding because he was going on vacation. I was fine with that because he told me that he would find a point-of-contact for me that would take care of everything. Well, he never gave me a POC and I called Isla's front desk, myself, to find that he never appointed anyone to take his place.

However, before i could panic, Isla found, Donna, a very lovely lady to help Sean and I with our day. Donna and her assistant made everything perfect for our day, despite being appointed last minute. Thank you so much. Speed bumps and all, wedding turned out perfect!(I would write more but I ran out of room)

Sent on 08/19/2012

Kelley · Married on 11/17/2012

3.0

The venue is beautiful and Alan was a great help. If you do not have any vendors selected, he can help direct you to numerous vendors around the Tampa Bay area.

Sent on 12/11/2012

Brent · Married on 10/02/2010

2.8
      3.5
      1.5
      2.0

My wife and I were just recently married at the IDSYCC. First of all the facility and grounds are absolutely beautiful. The view over the water is amazing and looks even better at sunset. If this site had a quality of facility category I would rate it a 5 in that category. We had put down a deposit with Miranda and after a couple months later my wife was talking to a florist and was told Miranda quit. No one from the Club had called to notify her of this. My wife called to find out what was going on and it was nearly impossible to get ahold of the new coordinator (Alan Skipper). When she would get ahold of him it was always brief and he would say he is very busy and will contact us later. We arranged a meeting with Alan and when we all sat down my wife tried picking up where Miranda left off. Alan was very disorganized and did not even seem prepared to see us even though he knew we were meeting. The rest of the meeting my wife spent trying to fill Alan in on the ideas Miranda had. Alan proceeded to shoot down every idea and say it was impossible and the Club would not allow it. This of course was very frustrating for my wife as she had been given these ideas by Miranda who said they would not be a problem. From that point on it seemed Alan was determined to make things as difficult for us as possible and try and limit our ideas to what was convenient for him and cost the least amount of money for the Club. By this time it was too late to change venues and we were stuck. Alan and I talked privately and he did offer to refund our deposit but we had already notified guest where the wedding venue would be and it was only 3 or 4 months before the wedding. After Alan had done a few weddings he began to see that some of the things we wanted were now possible but by this time his initial attitude towards everything had already left a bad taste in our mouth. Fortunately on the day of the wedding he was much better except during the cake cutting he was no where to be found and no one was assisting my wife and I. Coincidentally he did not want us to cut the cake when we did so i'm sure he was protesting. The photographer stepped in and none of the guest even noticed the slight confusion. As far as the food goes, you will not find a better venue or caterer. The food was great and all of the guest had nothing but good things to say. It came out fast, was hot and tasted wonderful. I was not able to enjoy the hourdurves but I was told they were great as well. Aside from Alan the rest of the staff was great and very accommodating. This is why I rated the quality of service so high. It was also nice to have the entire place to ourselves unlike a wedding at a resort. I would recommend this venue however I would hire a wedding coordinator to deal with Alan. According to him the Club and the members tie his hands and he cannot do anything about it. It is a shame because this facility is so beautiful.

In response to Alan's comment -

The ideas we had were given to us by the previous wedding coordinator Miranda. She gave us a quote on what everything would cost and Miranda and my wife had come to an agreement. When Alan took over he wanted to change the agreement and charge more for services that Miranda had originally said would not be a problem and would not cost anything extra. As far as the attitude, I think anyone would be frustrated when you are told one thing by Miranda, we put a deposit down, then Alan tells us what we were told by Miranda could not be done. It was a difficult process but it was a great wedding. The Isla is a great facility for a wedding but as someone else stated in another review, hire a wedding coordinator to deal with Alan. Also you would think after dealing with me for almost a year he would know my name is Brent. :)

Sent on 10/21/2010

Isla Del Sol Yacht & Country Club's reply:

The staff of Isla Del Sol certainly do not have a problem with ideas. However, when ideas cost money, they have to be paid for... a concept Brett and Rachel did not seem to understand. It has nothing to do with convenience for the staff, but rather how the club will be compensated for all the labor involved with some of these ideas. Fortunately, we were able to make it all work for them, even with all the attitudes and demands. The staff at Isla is delighted that all their guests were happy and we wish them the best.

Rachel · Married on 04/10/2010

2.4
      1.5

First, I will say that Isla Del Sol is an absolutely beautiful, perfect location for a wedding! We used the beach for the ceremony, the ballroom for dinner, and the pool for dancing afterwards- all locations were beautiful, well maintained, and the guests LOVED the location. The food was also delicious. And it is nice to know that they only do one wedding each weekend, unlike most of the resorts in the area.

The issues we had with Isla was the management. A few months before the wedding, the on-site coordinator (Miranda) quit and we simply stopped receiving communication. Noone called us or responded to our emails, and when we tried to call we got her voicemail (which noone was paying attention to). Finally the external Wedding Coordinator did some investigating and found out that Miranda had quit. Eventually a new person was hired for the job, Alan Skipper. Alan is a really nice guy, very outgoing and fun to be around....unfortunately, he lacks the professionalism I am used to. He was very unresponsive even in the weeks before the wedding - we did not have a final quote until the very last minute. He made a ton of mistakes on the proposal, most of which I caught. Attention to detail was absolutely terrible, and several things were not as planned. Luckily I'm a pretty laid back person and it didn't bother me much - everyone had a blast, the wedding was beautiful!

So my advice: Isla is so beautiful that it is worth all of this headache, I believe. But you MUST hire an external wedding coordinator (Special Moments is GREAT) and pay very, very close attention to the details that matter to you!!! Follow up, follow up, follow up - be annoyingly persistant to make sure they are doing what you want!

Sent on 04/21/2010

Isla Del Sol Yacht & Country Club's reply:

Isla is so happy that Rachel and Jason enjoyed their wedding day! It is unfortunate that they encountered problems toward the end of their planning. However, people leaving or assuming a job is going to sometimes occur. It is most difficult to pick up pieces for people who are out of town and that you have never met until a few days before their wedding. During a face to face planning process, repoires are developed that are hard to match when you come in on the tail end of such, especially if the notes you are working from come from other sources or individuals. Add to that trying to learn how to use a completely new computer process (with no instruction) to generate proposals and final contracts and there are going to be some challenges. When you are faced with executing daily events (none of which the plans were final for) and dealing with about 20 other Brides and Grooms for which you are trying to make details perfect, it becomes a daunting task. I am sorry Rachel sees this as a lack of professionalism. Happily for all, thier event went smoothly and we wish them a wonderful future.
  • O

Olga · Married on 05/23/2015

2.0
      1.0

Despite a lot of frustrations that I had to deal with at my wedding, I think that the location, the privacy & the view make this place a much more special wedding venue than any of the nearby hotels.

If you consider this venue though, please do not be fooled by the seeming helpfulness & pleasantness of the wedding coordinator. Melissa was very sweet & helpful throughout the preparation period, but pushy & inflexible at the wedding day, &, as much as she could, put a lot of stress on me & ruined my mood during the day that should have been the happiest day of my life.

Service: was rushed; a number of my guests commented on the fact that they were unable to finish their meals, including my maid of honor, whose meal was removed before she was even able to touch it (she was giving a ~ 10 min toast at some point, but still she should have been given a chance to eat).

Responsiveness: Melissa was responsive both before & after the wedding, but during the wedding there was nothing but pretense & no true care. Melissa simply ignored me when I needed to talk to her the most simply because she wanted to follow her plan & did not want to hear what I wanted on my wedding day.

Professionalism/ Flexibility: If your wedding will exactly follow the prior outlined timeline, their professionalism may be sufficient to pull off a nice wedding. If things go out of the pre-determined plan (longer than expected toasts/ a delay due to weather), you may get what I did - lots of pressure from the vendor, poorly coordinated ceremony, overcooked food & rushed service.

Value: They did their best to give us a good value. I would have given 5 stars for the value if it were not for the fact that the food was cleared way too fast.

Overall, the venue is absolutely beautiful, but if you want to get sincere care on your big day, stay away from Melissa.

From the groom: Agree with all the above. Wedding is too important of an event, & requires some flexibility.

Sent on 06/18/2015

Isla Del Sol Yacht & Country Club's reply:

Olga, first and foremost I would like to thank you for taking the time to write us a review in response to your wedding day. I must say that your words are shocking and if honestly stated; of course we are heartbroken to hear your comments. Our goal at Isla Del Sol is to make every wedding and event memorable and perfect to the best of our ability. Unfortunately unforeseen things do arise typically involving Florida weather; which is a constant challenge for us being that we are the lighting capital of the country. This was something unfortunately that we had to deal with on your wedding day.
    Most venues make a weather call 2-3 hours prior to the start of your ceremony giving the bride and groom no say on the call. Being that we strive for excellence and customer satisfaction we do not believe in this type of call and involve our couples as much as we can to ensure you are okay with the day's events. We not only got you involved but we also waited over an hour and a half past your scheduled ceremony start time to see if the weather would clear. Sadly it did not. While we waited for the rain to pass we also hosted your guests in the bar area for "complimentary" bar service to ensure they also remained calm and happy. We even added on an additional 30 minutes to the end of the night with "complimentary" bar service. Once so much time had passed we were forced to move forward with the indoor back-up plan to ensure that the rest of the night did not get too much more delayed.
    We are so sorry as we know that the indoor space was not your first choice but at a certain point the show must go on for the sake of the guests and children involved.
    Again, we are so sorry that your wedding was not what you expected but we thank you for allowing us to take part in such a special occasion. We are open to talking with you more should you have any additional feedback to share as we want to continue to improve to ensure our couples have their dream wedding here at Isla Del Sol.

0.8
      0.0

It is a beautiful venue; however, would not recommend it. Alan gets very anxious and stressed easily. My photograph was searching for Alan for atleast 30 minutes the day of. People came to the reception that had not rsvped and instead of accommodating us and dealing with the issue he continued to bring the problem to my husband and myself. Another hour was wasted as Alan refused to proceed until everyone sat down. The venue is very pricy and it is not worth it for the attention that you receive. Alan is very unprofessional one guest was asked "were you invited to this wedding or are you crashing it." Again, it was a beautiful venue but would not recommend this vendor as long as Alan remains the wedding coordinator. I also paid for the premium open bar and you can not order anything you want. You are not offered or allowed to try the food while picking your menu and Alan is not attentive and at times very difficult to get ahold of.

Sent on 04/17/2013

Isla Del Sol Yacht & Country Club's reply:

Isla is very sorry for Kasey's misrepresentation of facts. Her unwillingness to identify herself says a great deal. First of all, her wedding was delayed a half hour as her DJ could not get here because of a wreck on the bridge. For some reason, the bride seemed to think that was our problem and responsibility and so should extend her times gratis. Isla did in fact, continue the reception at no addtional expense to this couple. Unfortunately, this Bride did not even attempt to do her seating chart until she was already at the venue getting ready. We are very sorry she made mistakes with her RSVP's (or lack of) and we did try to get direction from her as to what she would like to do. I don't think any venue can be expected to just start feeding and seating people when the Bride and Groom have not indicated responsibility for seating, food or additional payment. It is very difficult to start creating seating when a reception has already started, especially with special linens (Of which there were now not enough) The bar was not upgraded as is suggested, so therefore, no, you can't order whatever you want. Isla is not going to take responsibility for a group of very young party goers that think they have a right to drink unlimited amounts of alcohol just because they are guests at a reception. Also, her statement that you are not allowed to try food is also erroneous. Isla has always done tastings for Brides so they can make informed choices about their selections. It is unforunate this young woman thinks her lack of preparedness is the responsibility of a venue. I'm afraid the bride had expectations that no one could have fulfilled and is now suffering from "sour grapes"