Iron & Honey Photography Reviews

10 | Chicago, IL

10 Reviews for Iron & Honey Photography

• Jeremy

Jeremy Santiago · Getting married on 06/11/2021

Melissa is awesome! Very fun personality and a true professional

Melissa came highly recommended from a friend, and after a quick chat with her, her fun personality and professionalism came through very clearly. She was extremely easy going and flexible when it came to time and location, even when it was last minute decisions being made. Her photography style and fun demeanor made our surprise engagement photo shoot a breeze - she was key in both staying hidden and capturing the perfect moment for us. She is a true professional and was a joy to work with

Sent on 12/07/2019

Sara Lewis · Getting married on 02/05/2021

We're so happy we chose Iron + Honey!

From the first time we spoke, we knew Melissa was the calm, confident presence we needed for our wedding. She had a great portfolio, which included smaller weddings like ours, so I was sure she would capture our day perfectly. She handled everything like a pro, making everyone feel at ease and keeping things organized so she could get the shots we wanted. When we received our photos (way faster than anticipated!), they were just perfect and captured our favorite memories of the day and more. We would absolutely recommend working with Melissa to anyone – thanks for everything, Melissa!

Sent on 12/07/2019
  • Carolyn

Carolyn Shotas · Married on 04/02/2020

Photos you can feel & a stress-free wedding day ❤

Melissa was so amazing on our wedding day and on every day leading up to it - from our first phone call to our engagement shoot and up until the big day, we knew that Melissa would be the perfect match for what we were looking for. Melissa was communicative from the very beginning and eager to walk the neighborhood with us and visit our apartment for our engagement shoot - even hanging half of her body out a bedroom window for some perfect balcony shots! Melissa's organic/in-the-moment/documentary-style of shooting truly captured all of the meaningful and emotional aspects of our wedding day, just like we had hoped. She was hands-on and hands-off at all of the right moments, eliminating a lot of the stress and pressure that photo-taking can sometimes bring and instead allowing myself, my husband, and all of our wedding party to feel relaxed and truly "in the moment" throughout the whole day. It was exactly how we wanted to remember our wedding day and our photos were plentiful and turned out absolutely amazing. You can really *feel* the photos and put yourself back in that moment in time, which is something that we appreciate so deeply. Thank you Melissa for sharing your talents and for being a special part of our wedding day - we'll never forget it!

Sent on 01/03/2020

emily hill · Married on 01/11/2020

Melissa is the best!

We found Melissa through The Everygirl, and loved her style immediately. We loved that she emphasized a focus on candid shots and capturing the feeling of the day, instead of posed/stuffy wedding pictures. My favorite part about working with Melissa was her ability to direct and wrangle our large wedding party and family with efficiency with a fun and positive attitude. It was also FREEZING on our wedding day and we only had outdoor locations for the pictures. Melissa was so professional and was conscious of the freezing bridesmaids, so moved along quickly without compromising the quality of the shots. Working with Melissa was a dream--she was efficient yet took enough time to capture incredible candid details.

Sent on 01/19/2020
  • Emily

Emily Carley · Married on 11/05/2019

Melissa is THE BEST!

I have been told over and over that my wedding photos are some of the best my friends and family has ever seen! Melissa flies under the radar on the wedding day (adding no stress to your day -- she actually reduces it!) and follows up with the most beautiful photos imaginable. If you're having any reservations, don't! Her style of shooting and editing is so unique - and she is so personable too. I would recommend her x a million!

Sent on 11/22/2019
  • Tina

Tina Swain · Married on 09/10/2019

When your wedding photographer feels like a friend...

When Andrew proposed to me, I knew right away who I'd ask to be our photographer; Melissa of course! We had traveled to Chicago from California in December 2017 and I thought it would be fun to have photos of us taken while we were there. (Because why not! hehe) I did some googling and I found Melissa. I loved her style and reached out. She did a couples session for us and we had a blast at the windiest spot in the city that day! We really loved the photos she took too. So naturally she was the first one I thought of to photograph our elopement style ceremony after Andrew proposed. We knew we wanted to get married some place on the coast and ultimately decided on Cannon Beach, OR. I emailed her asking if she wanted to come to the west coast and the rest is pretty much history! We invited her to stay with us in our super cute Airbnb for the trip! It was a lot of fun just hangin' out chatting with her outside of the ceremony and photo work that she was there to do, and I think that was special thing for us to share with her. Not all couples have the luxury of their photographer getting to know them on a more intimate level like that over the course of a few days and I'd like to think that helped her really capture not just our ceremony, but also who we are as a couple. She and our videographer worked so well and they made magic with their crafts. I'm so incredibly grateful to have the beautiful and emotive images she took for us. I really appreciate the details she captured and the story she told of our day through the photos. I'm pretty sure it goes without saying (at this point) that Melissa has my highest recommendation! Working with her was effortless and it felt like we were hanging out with a friend the whole time! We still wanna karaoke with her too! So someday... either whee we go back to Chicago or if she comes to Northern California!

Sent on 11/24/2019

Rachel Ahern · Married on 06/22/2019

Lovely wedding photography experience

Melissa came recommended by a recently married friend and we couldn’t be more pleased with our experience with her. Her photographs are beautiful and she was very easy to work with, very personable. Highly recommend working with Melissa for wedding photography- beautiful results and a painless process.

Sent on 11/28/2019

Erin · Married on 11/03/2017

Beautiful, natural, just-right moments captured with a quiet, fierce grace...

Melissa Ferrara of Iron & Honey has an art and zen that is so refreshing and rare. And if that wasn't enough, her demeanor, professionalism and fun-loving, down-to-earth personality made pre-wedding "meet-ups", engagement pics and the actual event a dream. So where did we find this gem of a human? My husband and I were referred to Melissa by a very good friend who had worked with her in the past. From there we scheduled a coffee-date to chat through ideas and prepare a timeline and quote. My husband and I both love photography... so ensuring we had the right fit for our wedding photographer was something we put a lot of weight on. Having checked out her portfolio prior to our coffee date we knew we loved her style, but our official in-person meet-up put all our anxious feelings to rest.

But then... it got better. We scheduled our engagement photoshoot on a windy day in April... we were going to scrap doing them, but Melissa mentioned it would be a great test run of shots for our wedding and way to get to know each other / get comfortable behind the lens. DO THIS... Out shots are so simple, so brilliant and it was fun to share a warm-up beer with Melissa before the shoot.

And then came the wedding. Melissa managed to eloquently wrangle our 16+ wedding party, taking classic, stoic and hilarious photos all in the same hour. After seeing the full array of shots following our wedding, our expectations were not only matched and surpassed... we were blown away. I've attached a few of my favorite snapshots herein.

My husband and I (and all our guests!) recommend Melissa Ferrara of Iron and Honey with the upmost confidence and highest of praise. So much time and energy goes into planning what amounts to an 8 hour (+/-) event. Make the most of those memories, photos are forever -- hire our girl, Melissa... we are so happy we did.

Sent on 01/06/2018

heather · Married on 10/08/2016

My 2016 wedding is coming up in October, but Melissa at Iron & Honey does excellent work!
    Throughout the process of booking Iron & Honey, coordinating the engagement pictures and now communicating for the wedding day, I have been super impressed with Melissa. From the start, Melissa went out of her way to answer any and all my questions that helped in the decision making process. Communication was super easy and quick! Our engagement pictures were truly stunning. She truly makes you feel comfortable not only with her, but also behind the camera. She captures the emotions! I am a very organized, detailed individual and Melissa reached out before I could reach out as the wedding date got closer. I was impressed that with all the clients she has, she makes you feel like you are the only client. I can not wait for Melissa to capture our wedding day!
    You will not be disappointed if you choose Iron & Honey Photography!

Sent on 09/26/2016
  • Adriana

Adriana de Julio · Married on 09/22/2019

2.6
      2.0
      2.0

Artistic Photographer but limited flexiblity

The pictures of our engagement and wedding were good. They were not great. They had an artistic flair, but they were not mind-blowing and at times there were some missed shots such as our entrance into the ballroom for dinner. This is an average photography company and in the mid-level of pricing. The photographer does not edit anything (they stated they want people to only to be portrayed naturally) so considering the raindrops it was a bit cumbersome to find some that were clear and printable. I had just been through some serious medical issues and the photographer took little interest in my limitations.
    Overall it was nothing to write home about and some of our friend's photos captured us much more authentically.

Sent on 11/18/2019