Irene's Cakes by Design Reviews

90 | Raleigh, NC

90 Reviews for Irene's Cakes by Design

1 User photo

This is an excerpt from the type of feedback I was receiving from my guests: THAT WEDDING CAKE WAS CRACK. it was literally CRACK. It was HANDS DOWN, the BEST wedding cake I’ve ever had, and I’ve had Ron Ben Israel $10K cake guy in NYC who does cakes for Ciprianis. it was SO good. can she like fed ex me overnight more carrot cake RIGHT NOW? YUMMM. Most cakes that look that pretty don’t taste that good. WOW.

Everyone was obsessed with the cake, and these are the type that are very snobby about food, and have been to a bunch of uber fancy NYC weddings. Ron Ben Israel's got some competition! Irene's cakes taste and look exceptional. Amazing job!

Sent on 10/06/2015

Irene's Cakes by Design's reply:

Thank you for such wonderful compliments!! I'm thrilled that everyone was delighted!

From the start, Irene was great to work with. She gave us a ton of choices for our tasting and we were able to alternate layers of cake with two different flavors. Our cake was beautiful, reasonably priced, arrived on time, and was exactly what we wanted!

Sent on 10/31/2013

Dianne · Married on 10/02/2013

Irene's cakes is probably the best kept secret. She made us a very beautiful
    wedding cake (for a small wedding) that was perfect in every way. My husband is not usually a big fan of cakes from places other than the grocery stores (LOL), but even he very much liked this "bakery" cake. Irene is a
    doll to work with. Her price was unbeatable and she was kind enough to deliver the cake to our destination of choice (without an added fee.) From
    now on, whenever I need a cake, you can be sure I will get my cakes, etc.
    from Irene. Use her, folks, the cake is delicious, price is right, looks great!

Sent on 10/23/2013

Renee · Married on 07/13/2012

One of my favorite parts of wedding planning was our cake tasting at Irene’s Cakes By Design. We got to sample all the delicious flavors of cakes and fillings. I didn’t have a very good idea of what I wanted it to look like (and to be honest I was more concerned with taste than design.) But with Irene I didn’t have to choose between flavor and design. She had portfolios full of beautiful cakes which helped me to decide on our design. We went with a three tiered white chocolate cake with two layers of seedless raspberry jam with white chocolate and the middle with kirsch buttercream. The outside was decorated in Celtic scrolls with purple ribbon and a triquetra on top. It was simple and elegant, just as we wanted. I was amazed with how perfect it turned out. We have heard nothing but rave reviews of our wedding cake from our guests. I highly recommend Irene’s Cakes by design.

Sent on 08/12/2012
  • User4831987 · 2+ years ago

For my wedding I had Irene's lemon chiffon cake with lemon curd/vanilla fillings and cardamom frosting. She decorated it with simple but elegant frosting flowers and added some fresh flowers to match my bouquet, which she arranged beautifully on the cake. And of course it tasted delicious!

Sent on 02/28/2015

Irene's Cakes by Design's reply:

thank you very much for your review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your wedding cake! Best wishes in your marriage.

Katherine · Married on 05/26/2013

My husband and I were married in Vermont at a ski lodge and were looking for something that was sort of "rustic." Irene designed a lovely birch cake that went perfectly with our theme. We were able to try an abundance of flavors and choose the combination that we liked best- she has nearly unlimited possibilities. The albums of the other cakes that she had designed in the past were similarly impressive. The combination that we chose was not the most "budget-friendly" but she has some options that are less pricey than others. I would definitely recommend her to friends.

Sent on 03/02/2014

Hi Katherine,
    Thank you very much! Best wishes to you.

Siobhan · Married on 08/21/2011

Irene provided us a small lemon cake for our wedding. The price was very reasonable and she even gave us free delivery. I would recommend her to others.

Sent on 09/06/2011

Joseph · Married on 06/27/2009

My beautiful bride and I loved Irene's cake. It was the perfect topper on a perfect day. It was delicious, and she incorporated our designs flawlessly.

Sent on 10/27/2009

Catherine · Married on 06/23/2007

My husband and I were extremely happy with the wedding cake that Irene created for us. Irene was exceptionally helpful and was willing/able to accomodate all of our requests.

Sent on 06/25/2007

Brooke · Married on 08/26/2017

My husband and I aren't really "sweets" people, so picking a wedding cake flavor seemed a bit daunting! We met with Irene and tasted so many flavors at times it was overwhelming! But overall, our cake ended up being delicious and classic. Our guests seemed to enjoy it and we will bring out a piece a year from now on our first anniversary. Irene was very prompt in her replies to us and her pricing is moderate. We didn't get too many embellishments to the exterior/frosting of the cake, which certainly helps if you are on a tight budget.

Sent on 09/14/2017

We could not have been happier with the way our wedding desserts from Irene turned out (we did a 2-tier cake, cake pops and cupcakes....the cake pops were gone early!). So many of our guests were blown away by the dessert table. Not only were they DELICIOUS (they were the last thing we ate on our wedding day) but Irene was also a pleasure to work with and accommodated our many changes along the way without a hiccup. You can have complete faith that she will understand your vision and deliver what you want.

Sent on 08/27/2013

Christy · Married on 03/03/2012

Irene's Cakes are amazing. She places attention to flavor, presentation, and takes cake art to a wonderful place! If you are looking for someone to create a thoughtful and truly unique cake for you, then Irene should be fully considered. Our cakes were the talk of the wedding (during and after); I do not think there is a better measure of quality.

Sent on 04/04/2012

Latima · Married on 10/29/2016

Irene was very flexible, professional and simply amazing! Her talents for decorating, and creating different interesting and delicious cakes is out of this world!

Sent on 11/01/2016

Don · Married on 05/23/2015

3.8
      3.5
      3.5

We saw a beautiful cake in a magazine and asked Irene to replicate. She did a wonderful job. One of the cake layers though was off-color from what we provided her and a bit disappointing - but overall the cake was impressive looking and delicious. Irene was very nice to work with.

Sent on 06/06/2015

Jenn · Married on 07/16/2011

3.2
      2.0
      2.0
      3.0

Our cake was DELICIOUS, but that is where our raves about Irene's Cakes by Design must end. We ordered a small, two tiered cake for our wedding that was similar (NOT A REPLICA) to a previous cake she had made. The majority of our cake cost was for the handmade cake topper we ordered from her, which was supposed to be a personalized version of the Hey Diddle Diddle Nursery Rhyme using our cat and dog. When we saw our cake, she had simply replicated the cake from her album. We asked for blue with silver stars, the cake was blue and gold. Our cat and dog were missing from the topper--only the cow jumping over the moon (over half the topper was missing). Irene did end up sending us the remainder of our topper after the wedding, stating she had "forgotten" them. While we appreciate getting the missing pieces, it defeated the purpose, and we had talked to our guests so much about the personalized aspect of our cake which was NOT delivered. We were really disappointed, but at least we had a cake.
    *We did end up receiving a full refund for our cake topper from Irene since it was not what we had paid for. We greatly appreciated this gesture, feeling it was a very professional way to acknowledge responsibility for the mistake.

Sent on 08/01/2011