Irene's Cakes by Design Reviews

90 | Raleigh, NC

90 Reviews for Irene's Cakes by Design

1 User photo

Jason · Married on 06/08/2013

The cake came out better than we had ever hoped! The colors, taste and design was amazing. We went with two layers--one was sour cream yellow with milk chocolate and pistachio ganache and the second was sour cream chocolate with lavender and espresso ganaches. Our guests thought it was one of the best cakes they had ever seen, not only in look but in taste too. We wanted a "Back to the Future" cake design because that was how we first met. Irene was great with meeting with us and conceptualizing a few designs. The result was amazing and beautiful. Also the tasting was fantastic--I think we tried over 40 combinations! Overall, Irene is extremely professional, talented and helpful. Thank you!

Sent on 06/10/2013

Hi Jasona nd Kristina,
    I am so glad that you loved your cake . It was a fun cake for me to design and make. Thank you very much!
    Best wishes to you both, Irene

Gabrielle · Married on 05/04/2013

Working with Irene was a wonderful and easy experience. Our cake was delicious, and included different flavor combinations that were so unique. I received so many compliments on the cake. It was moist and the different fillings and frosting flavor combinations were fantastic. The cake also looked gorgeous. Irene is very reasonable and worked with us to meet our budgetary needs. I highly recommend this vendor to anyone. This was by far the best wedding cake we have ever had and we wouldn't change a thing! She also prepared a delicious low-carb groom's cake which was very much appreciated by my husband. Thank you Irene!

Sent on 05/09/2013

Rachel · Married on 12/12/2012

My husband and I are huge fans of cake decorating shows and we really wanted a special cake for our ceremony. Irene was AMAZING to work with! With a few quick emails, she understood our vision. She was able to sculpt a dragon and princess for our cake that were detailed and beautiful. By the end of the night, my husband had 17 pictures of the cake on his phone--and none of me!
    Not only did it look great, it tasted wonderful. The cake was moist and flavorful. We were so impressed and highly recommend her!

Sent on 12/15/2012
  • Whitney

Whitney · Married on 10/06/2012

Irene hosted a tasting with us prior to our wedding and systematically walked us through all of our options for interior and exterior layers. By the end of it my mouth was so overwhelmed by amazingness I hardly remembered which cake we chose, but our wedding cake was delicious! All of our guests commented on how beautifully crafted and moist it was! Irene gave us instructions on how to save the top layer and wrap it in our freezer for our anniversary...can't wait!

Sent on 10/12/2012

We planned a small out of state wedding in three weeks! Irene was always accessible thru email, which was my preference, and the cake was everything and more. Beautiful and delicious! Highly suggest, she did a beautiful job and had our cake delivered and set up at Killington...I didn't have to do a thing! Thank you!!!!

Sent on 10/19/2012

Irene's Cakes by Design's reply:

You are very welcome. I love to be able to help in any situation and accodate my couples no matter the size of the wedding.

Marianne · Married on 08/20/2012

Irene was absolutely amazing, she obviously loves what she does and is absolutely amazing at it. Our cake was so amazing, she worked with us to create the design we wanted. Everyone said that it tasted fantastic (the tasting was so much fun - she has so many flavour combinations). Even my husband - a professional chef - questioned the flowers thinking they were real, our zombie fairies climbing up the side were the best touch. Thanks Irene!

Sent on 08/24/2012

Irene's Cakes by Design's reply:

You are very welcome. I had such fun with your cake! BEst wishes to you both.

Hilary · Married on 08/11/2012

We were thrilled with the wedding cake that Irene made for us! We knew after our tasting that it would be absolutely delicious, and our guests kept telling us so throughout the night. Irene did a great job listening to our initial ideas, making creative suggestions, and designing in response. She really made a cake to remember. We are already scheming about hiring her again to make a cake for an anniversary party sometime down the road!

Sent on 09/14/2012

Laurie · Married on 06/10/2012

When I initially contact Irene regarding our wedding cake, I was hesitant that she would take us on as a client. As one of the best cake designers in the area I couldn't imagine that she would make a cake for our wedding with 20 guests. But she did; and without a doubt I can honestly say that it was THE BEST CAKE I have ever eaten in my life. The entire process of working with Irene was a pleasure. Considering that we were having a destination wedding, Irene was very flexible in meeting with us and scheduling our tasting. She also made cookies that were distributed as favors to our guests and we are still getting compliments about how delicious they were. Irene is a true professional and I highly recommend her!

Sent on 06/27/2012

Irene's Cakes by Design's reply:

Thank you Laurie. Both you and Scott were a pleasure to work with and I wish you happiness in your future together.
    Sincerely, Irene

Speechless! The cake was the best cake I have ever had, and I don't traditionally like cake! I wanted cheesecake in my initial wedding plans but that didn't pan out. So we went to taste test with Irene. That was fun and it all tasted so good. We decided on a white chocolate buttercream frosting with a white chocolate cake with 3 fillings raspberry strawberry and maple. We froze the extra and still eat it. It's so decadent a sliver is filling. People loved the cake. Even the decorations matched our fall sophisticated theme with simple decor as well. It was like a cream colored cake with branches and red berries and a few fall leaves made out of molded chocolate. Beautiful!

Irene is worth the extra money for the quality of her product and her service. I highly recommend her.

Sent on 06/29/2012

Irene made the most amazing cakes for our wedding! They were beautiful and absolutely delicious. One of the two cakes was complete with a replica of our ski boat with my bride driving the boat (and our dog observing) and myself skiing behind. It was incredibly cool (and intricate) and got many, many comments from our guests. Irene was wonderful to work with from start to finish. We had a fun visit to Ludlow for cake tasting, which I would really recommend. My wife and I picked two different cakes, one with each of our tastes. They both were delicious. We would definitely recommend Irene highly!

Sent on 09/11/2015

Joseph · Married on 07/30/2011

My wife and I were married yesterday and today found ourselves talking about Irene's cake and how ALL of it was eaten by the end of the weekend. Irene's service was seamless to us. When we met her it was obvious to us that she was the cake designer for us out of the four we met that day. She is highly organized and a very good teacher when it comes to learning about the ins and outs of cakes. After meeting with her we were able to easily decide which type was right for us.

And the cake tasted great! Everyone was raving. It was an almond cake with three layers of filling - raspberries, chocolate, and apricot. The outside was buttercream with her award-winning stem design. http://www.irenemaston.com/images/portfolio.jpg

The cost was reasonable and was within the range of other cake designers we spoke with.

We would highly recommend her to anyone looking for a cake designer!

Thank you, Irene!

Sent on 07/31/2011

Ginelle · Married on 07/11/2011

I had a fantastic experience working with Irene. She came highly recommended from the Equinox Resort, and she was my first and only cake tasting! After viewing her prior work, and tasting her cake and icing flavors I knew I had come to the right place. All of the cake flavors I tried were very moist, and I really liked that we could get creative with our cake/frosting combinations. I didn't have a design idea right away, and changed my mind a few times but Irene was very patient and helpful along the way. We went with two tiers of almond cake with vanilla frosting (one layer of raspberries), and I surprised my husband with a bottom layer of carrot cake with maple frosting. We received several compliments about both flavors of the cake from our guests, and some said it was the best cake they had ever eaten. The cake arrived on time to the reception site and looked beautiful; excatly like I had pictured it. I cannot recommend Irene's services enough, she helped make our day fabulous!

Sent on 07/21/2011

Kristin · Married on 07/24/2010

Irene is THE cake person in the area. We received more compliments on our cake than we ever could have imagined. Because we had a lot of children at the wedding, we kept our flavors fairly simple, but she has all kinds of delicious and unusual flavors and combinations. Because I was raised on homemade cakes made by my mother, I am very picky about cakes, and Irene's was completely delicious. It was also visually stunning. One of my bridesmaids even said that if she could, she would have recommended Irene for her sister's wedding in Chicago. We couldn't have been happier with Irene.

Sent on 08/10/2010

Sara · Married on 07/10/2010

Irene simply makes the most visually stunning and absolutely delicious cakes in the greater New England area. What we received from her is what I would have expected to come from a top pastry chef in New York, it really was that good. We ordered a chocolate espresso cake with a white chocolate buttercream frosting, with a chocolate raspberry ganache middle filling and 2 side fillings of lavender. This cake was to die for. My husband is not a sweets person and he loved the cake, it was moist, not too sweet and had the richest flavors. It was hard to even cut the cake as it looked so perfect and I didn't want to destroy it! I couldn't wait to have my piece though, unfortunately there were no extra pieces left and none for us to save for an anniversary, I am thinking about having her make a small cake for our anniversary next year!

We highly recommend Irene Maston for your wedding cake or any cake that you need! She is very creative with her flavors and is able to do the most wild cake or the most traditional whatever you want!

Irene, thank you for making every guest at our wedding smile and tell us that they have never actually had wedding cake at a wedding that tasted good!! Even our DJ told us that he has tasted A LOT of wedding cakes and that this really topped them all, I gave him your name to spread the word!

Sara & James

Sent on 08/21/2010

Dianna · Married on 05/15/2010

I love cake, always have. And as someone in the hotel and event industry, I've tasted a lot of (bad) wedding cakes, which is why I was so nervous about picking a cake vendor for my own wedding cake.

When I first saw Irene's cakes, I refused to believe that they could taste good. I mean, they are so beautiful, how could they be delicious too? I gave in and made an appointment to taste with my mom, and couldn't be happier that I did!

I went the less traditional route and selected 12 of Irene's unique and utterly delicious cake flavors for a cake "buffet" - she was totally flexible and made it happen for us. This was the absolute HIT of the wedding day. From the MOIST (yes, moist!) cakes, to the delicious fillings to the simple but whimsical designs on the outside, this was the best wedding cake I'll ever have!

Irene, people may be calling you for the Oreo, carrot and dulce de leche cakes - they couldn't get enough! Thank you so much!

Sent on 06/01/2010

Irene's Cakes by Design's reply:

Dianna, You are very welocme! I am so happy that the cake buffet was such a hit with your guests. Best wishes to you and Jess.

Stacy · Married on 09/12/2009

On September 12th, we celebrated our wedding in Pittsfield, Vermont at Riverside Farm and Irene made our delicious cake. She was a pleasure to work with and the cake was truly the best cake we've ever tasted. It was so much fun to be able to design not only the cake itself but also the combination of amazing flavors. We chose Sour Cream Chocolate cake with layers of White Chocolate Buttercream w/ strawberries, Bailey's Buttercream, and Espresso Ganache. The entire square layered, 3 tiered cake was frosted with Milk Chocolate Buttercream and topped with the most incredible sugar flower which was just like the picture I showed her of the one on my wedding dress. As a former wedding planner, I know from experience that many wedding cakes don't taste quite as great as they look. Everyone was raving about how beautiful and delicious our cake was.
    We can't wait to eat our cake topper on our anniversary, though I don't think we'll be able to wait that long! :)
    Nick and Stacy L.

Sent on 10/27/2009

Tara · Married on 09/05/2009

When we met Irene for our cake tasting we had no question that she would deliver the wedding cake of our dreams. It was no surprise that come our wedding day, our guests were coming up to us asking if we had seen our cake and how increadible it looked. Irene did an amazing job matching our wedding cake (down to the exact color of our tablecloths) along with these very intricate sugar flowers that looked too good to eat! While many bakers may do a good job in making the cake look great, Irene also took it further and provided us with the best tasting cake we have ever had at a wedding. The cake tasted like it was 100% fresh from the baker and was layered with fresh fruit. We, and our guests were delighted!! I would definitely recommend Cakes by Irene to anyone looking for something tasty and special on their wedding day.

Sent on 10/28/2009

Sharon · Married on 08/01/2009

When my daughter asked if I would make her wedding cake using a favorite family recipe, I was touched but dismayed. Decorate her wedding cake? The day before her wedding? Not in this lifetime!

I suggested we find a professional willing to use the recipe instead, and our daughter sighed but agreed. Of the vendors near the wedding location, only Irene was willing to review the recipe, bake a sample cake, and tell us if she could take the recipe to scale for the wedding. I supplied the recipe by e-mail, she made a test version (for a fee), and determined that our daughter could have the cake she wanted, a cream cheese chocolate confection made from scratch for family birthdays and celebrations over the years. Irene's web site provided designs and the bride and groom selected the filling, icing and decoration. We opted for a "display" cake to serve about 85 plus a sheet cake for 70 or so, making the cutting easier on the caterer.

Needless to say, the cake was a hit. Many guests looked fruitlessly for leftovers once the dancing had begun. I especially appreciated the close-up pictures Irene took of the cake after setting it up at the reception; she e-mailed these to us after the happy affair was over. From initial inquiry through finalizing details and delivering what was promised, my daughter and I found Irene accommodating, skilled, and creative. An amusing testimony to the quality of her work is the number of guests who shared pictures taken during the reception with us. More than a few took pictures at the table of their served cake slices, before, during, and near the end of consumption!

Sent on 10/28/2009

Christie & Mike · Married on 07/25/2009

Irene blew us away! She created our beautiful wedding cake for last July 2009 and it far exceeded our expectations. She took our vision of the Lord of the Rings' Rivendell as a theme and set in a garden and created a masterpiece of intricacy, attention to detail, and a of course, delectable cake. We were so impressed with her portfolio and saw how important it was for her to create a perfect cake for us. She really payed attention to what we liked and even matched our wedding colors perfectly. The best part was the topper... she was able to take our wedding logo (we are graphic designers) and make it 3-D. It is easy to tell that Irene truly loves what she does! Thank you so much Irene!

Sent on 11/21/2009

Elizabeth · Married on 07/19/2009

On July 19th, 2009, my husband and I had a wonderful wedding ceremony in Ludlow Vermont. Our wedding planner highly recommended Irene. They said her cakes looked great and tasted wonderful. They were right!!! We has a great experience working with Irene. The cake tasting was fun, informative and very professional. She listened when I decided to change the size of my cake and was so patient. Our guests loved the flavor of the cake and were amazed at her decorating skills. Our cake was one of a kind and we hope to work with her again for parties and anniversaries.

Sent on 11/03/2009

Carolyn · Married on 06/13/2009

We can't say enough good things about Irene and her talent. She really listened to my husband and I. We had shown her printouts of cakes we liked and various designs and told her what would be special to us and she incorporated it. Other vendors we spoke with didn't even offer "cake testing". We traveled 3 hrs to meet with her personally and partake in cake testing and I'm so glad we did. It allowed my husband and I to combine our "flavors" tastefully :) The cake was the perfect size for the amount of guests we had, and she delivered and set up the cake the day of the wedding perfectly. Every aspect of our wedding cake was of utmost quality and perfection. I plan on getting our anniversary cake from Irene, even if I have to travel 3 hrs to get it! We highly recommend Irene�s Cakes by Design! Warmest regards, Carolyn & Eric Hebert

Sent on 11/05/2009

Nancy · Married on 01/24/2009

Irene's cakes are amazing. She did my wedding cake -- a wonderful snowflake-themed concoction -- and a groom's cake too. She is very creative and flexible and reasonably priced. My advice is to give her a general idea of what you want and then turn her loose to be creative, because she's a good listener. I gave her room to operate and she came up with some wonderfully creative additions to the groom's cake. Oh my gosh, and the cakes tasted sooo good!!! How can something that pretty taste that good too! Irene works very well with my reception site, the Four Chimneys Inn -- they had a seamless interface where I didn't have to get involved in logistics of delivery, and that's always nice too.

Sent on 02/13/2009

Gretchen · Married on 07/12/2008

We can't tell you how lucky we are to have just celebrated our 1 year anniversary and got to eat Irene's cake AGAIN! Irene is a amazing baker and cake designer. She executed our visions perfectly and provided us not only with a beautiful cake, but an outrageously delicious one as well. We met with several cake designers for taste tests and we were by far the most impressed with Irene. She's extremely talented and we would recommend her in a heartbeat to anyone getting married in Vermont. Thanks Irene!!

Sent on 07/16/2009

Katie · Married on 06/07/2008

Irene is the best cake-maker in VT-period. Her designs are stunning and she can turn any fantasy into edible reality! I highly recommend Irene's to anyone in need of the perfect cake!

Sent on 09/11/2008

Rachel · Married on 07/10/2016

Our cake by Irene was absolutely beautiful, and even more so delicious! Working with Irene was seamless and enjoyable - our tasting was fantastic and we left knowing exactly what cake we wanted. We picked a design from her book and got some fresh flowers added by our florist, and when we arrived at our reception we were so thrilled at how beautiful the cake turned out and having our first bite was even better. We cant wait to finish off our cake at our first anniversary. We loved working with Irene and would recommend her to anyone getting married in the VT area!

Sent on 07/17/2016

Irene's Cakes by Design's reply:

Thank you Rachel! Have a wonderful marriage. Best wishes to you both..