Icing on the Cake Reviews

61 | Charlotte, NC

61 Reviews for Icing on the Cake

• Yellow Wedding

Maggie · Married on 10/08/2016

Michelle was great to work with! I wanted a mountain theme cake that I saw on Pinterest, problem was that it was fondant and I wanted buttercream. The cake was BETTER than the picture I had brought. It was beautiful with three sugar sunflowers. Not only was this cake beautiful, but all of our guests raved about how good it was! We are looking forward to eating the topper on our 1 year anniversary.

Sent on 10/26/2016

Lauren · Married on 01/09/2016

Chef Michelle was awesome to work with. My daughter and I went for a tasting and immediately knew she was "the one". She designed a four tier cake from a picture my daughter provided, and it was exact??. Her cakes were not only beautiful but delicious as well. In lieu of the traditional grooms cake, my daughter chose three tortes. They were very beautiful and tasty. Her caked are not only beautiful but delicious as well. I highly recommend Chef Michelle Fountain!!! She has alot of choices....,something for everyone??

Sent on 03/02/2016

Alexandra · Married on 10/17/2015

After another bakery fell through for us, we had to scramble with only a few weeks until the wedding to find another vendor for our cake and dessert table. Michelle at Icing on the Cake truly saved the day for us! We are so thankful that she was available for our wedding - everything she made was absolutely delicious, and the cake was gorgeous! I would highly recommend Icing on the Cake.

Sent on 10/22/2015
  • User4502082 · 2+ years ago

Michelle did a fantastic job! The cake was delicious and beautiful! It was exactly what I wanted!

Sent on 10/25/2015
  • User5320305 · 2+ years ago

Michelle Fountain, pastry chef and owner of Icing on the Cake, created a three-tiered round stacked cake and two 9" side cakes for my daughter's wedding. The tiered cake was lemon cake with fresh strawberry filling and buttercream frosting. The side cakes were sour cream cake with raspberry filling and lemon cake with lemon curd filling. The cakes were not only delicious but gorgeous, and they exceeded our expectations!

Sent on 08/05/2015

M. Catherine · Married on 03/21/2015

Icing on the Cake provided both the wedding cake and the groom's cake for my son's wedding in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. They were both beautiful and delicious! As mother of the groom, I was looking for a cake decorator who could give me ideas for a groom's cake with a Florida State University theme. Since the bride's family was using Icing on the Cake, I decided to use the same vendor as well. Michelle helped me through the process via e-mail, and the groom's cake was perfect. The wedding guests raved about how good the different layers of both the wedding cake and the groom's cake tasted. Thank you, Icing on the Cake, for helping to make the wedding so special with your unique and delicious cakes!

Sent on 11/14/2015

Anna · Married on 10/26/2014

Michelle is an incredible artist! We met her at her home bakery. She welcomed us in and invited us to taste so many delicious combinations of cake, filling, and icing. We flipped through her incredible portfolio of wedding cakes and picked elements from a few that we loved. She quickly drew a sketch of exactly what we described. Then, a few months later, the sketch was brought to life at our wedding! The cake was stunning and was the perfect center piece for the reception. Michelle worked with our florist to incorporate real flowers into the design, a perfect touch. Most importantly, our guests could not stop talking about how absolutely incredible our red velvet wedding cake with cream cheese icing was! I had multiple guests tell me it was the best wedding cake they've ever eaten. Thank you, Icing on the Cake!!

Sent on 11/12/2014

Hi Anna,
    Congratulations on your marriage! Thank you so very much for your beautiful review. I enjoyed working with you. :)
  • User4511923 · 2+ years ago

Michelle is a truly amazing artist. We visited several vendors in the area. Her professionalism is top notch. I came in not knowing what I really wanted, except for the cake toppers. She went through her impressive portfolio until I came across a cake I really liked. She took the aspects I liked from that cake, tailored it to fit my cake toppers and sketched out a beautiful cake. If that wasn't enough, her cakes are insanely delicious. The bottom layer of my two-tiered cake was carrot cake. I have never had a better carrot cake in my life. The top layer was german chocolate and was also delicious. You will not find a better baker. Highly highly recommend.

Sent on 10/29/2014

Stephanie · Married on 10/25/2014

Michelle was a dream to work with! We arrived at her kitchen for tasting, and that's all it took. Her cakes are amazing! We were able to describe and show her an example of the type of cake we had in mind, and she sketched out out right in front of us! She is truly and artist and superb chef! She was able to make our vision come to life, while working with our other vendors to top it off with flowers. She provided advice and her professional opinion to help us create the perfect wedding cake! She has so many icings and flavors to choose from... it was such a fun process. We had a 4 tier cake, and each layer was a different flavor! All DELICIOUS. I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited about eating more of it on our year anniversary :)

Sent on 11/09/2014

Morgan · Married on 10/18/2014

My cake was beautiful and I received many compliments about how it looked and tasted. Michelle listened to everything we wanted and did a fantastic job.

Sent on 10/19/2014

Icing on the Cake's desserts were absolutely DELICIOUS and were the best cupcakes I have ever had! Everything was so delectable, I especially loved the red velvet cupcakes, cheesecake and keylime tartlets! We decided to do a dessert table with cupcakes instead of a cake. All the guests loved the idea of the dessert table, it looked so beautiful, but even more importantly, was very tasty. It also looked beautiful. The options Michelle gave us were perfect, and we had only a few leftovers. Her prices are very fair and she is very flexible. No hidden costs or last minute prices.

Sent on 11/07/2014
  • User3301951 · 2+ years ago

Michelle's cake really was the best cake I have ever had in my life. The design was stunning and it looked great, but of course the important part is the flavor, I can't put in to words exactly how tasty this cake was. The tradition of saving the top layer for a year is in serious jeopardy with this cake.

Sent on 03/20/2015

Tiffany · Married on 09/13/2014

Michelle was awesome to work with. Our wedding consisted of a four tiered cake an a mini dessert bar with 305 items. I recommend using Icing on the cake for any dessert need you may have. I have had several guests asking for contact information to order a cake. Michelle's attention to detail and her caring attitude was outstanding. Michelle will give you a cake that not only looks outstanding, but the taste is out of this world. She makes a cake that tastes like a wedding cake should. "No cake mix cake here." You will not be disappointed!

Sent on 09/21/2014

Icing on the Cake's reply:

Thank you so much Tiffany! It was such a pleasure working with you and your family. Congratulations on your marriage! I hope it's full of love, happiness and good health for many years to come!

Carrie · Married on 08/08/2014

The cake was beautiful... but the real compliment to Michelle was that I'm pretty sure most people couldn't help but try a piece from each layer of the cake because it was THAT good! Michelle really listened to what we wanted and delivered an amazing cake that tasted amazing.

Sent on 08/13/2014

Icing on the Cake's reply:

Thank you so very much for such a wonderful review. I really appreciate it. :)
    Congratulations again!! And thank you for allowing me to be a part of your wedding!!

Turquoise · Married on 07/04/2014

There are no words to describe the beauty and delicious taste of our wedding cake. Michelle Fountain came highly recommended from other reviewers on the Knot and she more than exceeded our expectations.

When shopping for a wedding cake, we contacted many different vendors. Michelle was the last vendor that we visited on our trip to Asheville and we instantly fell in love with her. As they say, "save the best for last".

Michelle was very professional and hospitable. During the tasting, she exposed us to many different cake flavors that we didnt even know existed, which was a wonderful experience for us. We appreciated and absolutely loved her ability to mix and match flavors in order to enhance the wedding cake experience. The tasting was a great experience for us. In addition, Michelle's prices are reasonable and fair. With Michelle, we got the best combination of price, flavor, design, and service. She was several hundreds of dollars cheaper than other vendors who were offering smaller cakes for more money.

Michelle was also very flexible in the design of the cake. The bride's dress had a floral design to it so we asked Michelle to add a floral design to the cake and she was able to do this.

Our wedding cake had five tiers, each tier was a different delicious flavor. The wedding cake was the highlight of the wedding. It was absolutely gorgeous. It was the most beautiful cake I have ever seen...just breathtaking and absolutely delicious.

The guest loved the cake and all commented on the fact that it was one of the best cakes they have ever tasted. We highly recommend Icing on the Cake as a wedding vendor. Michelle is an example of professional and her cakes are to die for.

Thank you Michelle for making and designing the most beautiful and delicious wedding cake ever. We truly enjoyed working with you.

Best,

Sekou and Turquoise

Sent on 07/12/2014
  • User4204264 · 2+ years ago

The cake was absolutely beautiful and soooo delicious, especially the chocolate raspberry. The whole experience with Icing on the Cake was a delight. I highly recommend this bakery!

Sent on 06/26/2014

Dearest Turquoise & Sekou,
    Thank you so very much for the most beautiful review I have ever received! I truly enjoyed creating your cake, and even more, hearing that it was loved and tasted delicious!
    Congratulations to you both!! I wish you both many, many happy & healthy years together!
    Cent Anni!!
    regards,
    Michelle

Brittney · Married on 05/31/2014

Our experience working with Michelle of Icing on the Cake was fantastic. We set up an appointment and met at her home (she has a commercial-grade kitchen at her house), and explained our vision of combining two different cake styles. She totally got what we were looking for and drew a sketch that looked exactly like what we wanted. Then we did the cake-tasting. If you’ve ever tried Michelle’s cakes, I bet you can’t stop thinking about them. We selected a four-tier cake with alternating tiers of red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and amaretto cream cheese pound cake with buttercream frosting. I’m not even a fan of buttercream frosting, but Michelle’s is wonderful. When our wedding day arrived, I was so impressed with our cake – it was beautiful and exactly what we’d hoped for, not to mention moist and delicious. It’s the best wedding cake I’ve ever had. Our guests keep talking about how good it was! I don’t know if we can make it to our first wedding anniversary without eating the top tier we have in our freezer!  We’re already planning to order another small cake on our anniversary – it’s that good. I highly recommend Icing on the Cake and am so glad we chose Michelle to create our wedding cake.

Sent on 06/24/2014

Icing on the Cake's reply:

Thank you so much Brittney!! It was my pleasure and I look forward to making another cake for you!! Congratulations! I wish you both many years of happiness, love and good health!! regards,Michelle

Diane · Married on 05/24/2014

Could not be happier. Michelle did the groom's cake and the wedding cake and both were outstanding! Not only were they beautiful, and EXACTLY what we wanted, but they tasted great. In fact, it is the best tasting wedding cake I have ever had!

Sent on 05/30/2014

Michelle was a delight to work with and her cakes were amazing. I can not speak highly enough of her. We gave Michelle the challange of meeting, and designing our cake 14 months in advance as we were moving to Japan and would not be back until right before the wedding. She absolutely nailed it. She had all the details we had discussed and the cake was the best I have ever had at a wedding. We choose three different flavors and each was moist and delicious. I have received so many compliments on the cake, everyone loved it. I will definitely be using her again when we move back to the States. Thank you again Michelle for all your hard work.

Sent on 05/20/2014
  • Leandra

Leandra · Married on 11/02/2013

Michelle was great - her cakes were so delicious. When cake was served, they were still fresh and moist, unlike most cakes I've had at weddings in the past. She was very flexible in making each layer a different kind of cake with a large variety of cake, fillings, and icing available. We had the strawberry filling which was absolutely amazing. Her design for the main cake was perfect for what we were going for and she worked hard to make the colors and style fit. But the best part was the Jabba the Hutt groom's cake that she made for us. I wasn't sure it was even possible, but it was dead on and everyone commented on how original it was. It looked amazing and exceeded our expectations. It was all very affordable and handled with every bit of professionalism necessary for a wedding.

Sent on 11/18/2013

Icing on the Cake's reply:

Awww!! Congratulations!! It was all my pleasure! I'm so happy you both enjoyed everything! I had a great time creating Jabba the Hutt! I want to wish you both many, many years of happiness, love and good health. Regards, Michelle

Pamela · Married on 10/27/2013

Michelle created the most beautiful and delicious cakes for our wedding. I gasped when I saw them displayed. They were even more beautiful than I had imagined. Everyone was raving about them and about how amazing they tasted. They were really the most delicious, moist wedding cake we've ever had.

Our tasting with Michelle was wonderful, she sketched out my ideas as we went and her designs were amazing. We had 5 different cakes, different shapes, sizes, decor and flavors! It was so hard to choose flavors because they all tasted so good that it was great to have five different cakes. We were lucky enough to bring home a slice of each with us and have been enjoying them everyday since. Can't wait to cut the top of our cake on our anniversary in a year!

Sent on 11/02/2013

Icing on the Cake's reply:

Thank you so much, I enjoyed creating them! Best wishes for many happy & healthy years together!!

Hands down the best tasting wedding cake I've ever had...Michelle is easy to work with and does a great job with design!

Sent on 09/15/2013

Laurie · Married on 07/13/2013

Working with Michelle was wonderful. We had gone to some other local bakeries for tastings and weren't impressed so when I saw the great reviews for Icing on the Cake I decided to set up a tasting. Not only were the samples delicious (much better than the other bakeries) the price was also much less expensive than what we had been quoted elsewhere. I gave Michelle a picture of the cake that I wanted (it was a purple cake that someone else had previously had done at the Biltmore) and when I saw mine the day of the wedding I was very happy. I thought it looked better than the picture I gave her! I couldn't have asked for a better or tastier wedding cake :) Thanks Michelle!

Sent on 09/12/2013

Sadly I never got to met Michelle, but she did a fabulous job! We asked for a 3 tiered cake that was a combination of two cakes we saw on her flickr account. And it turned out exactly as we described it to her over the phone. The cake tasted as good as it looked too.

Sent on 07/02/2013

Michelle was such a pleasure to work with from our initial meeting. She was able to capture my vision immediately for the cake design. The flavors were just amazing and every last piece was eaten. I'm looking forward to our 1 year anniversary so I can enjoy our cake again!!!

Sent on 07/02/2013