Historic London Town and Gardens Reviews

Historic London Town and Gardens 5
Historic London Town and Gardens 6
Historic London Town and Gardens 7

Katy · Married on 04/27/2013

Choosing Historic London Town and Gardens as my wedding reception venue was the best decision I made while planning my wedding. Everything about this venue and its staff made my wedding day like a dream.
    My wedding reception hosted 160 people with the cocktail hour in the garden with beautiful weather and scenery overlooking the river. We fit 160 people under the tent provided by London town for a seated dinner with dancing and cake in the pavilion. The day flowed so effortlessly and it was enjoyable for everyone. If there were any snags or problems that day, the wedding party and guests would never have known! Multiple people still tell me (6 months later!) that it was the most elegant, beautiful and enjoyable wedding they had ever attended. So much of that success has to be attributed to London Town and it's staff. This venue is incredibly gorgeous if you are looking for a garden venue by the water.
    Jean Shea, the Director of Sales, at London Town is a major reason why this is such a great wedding venue. Her experience in the industry makes her such an asset during the wedding planning process. Jean's knowledge of how to organize the exact itinerary, layout, and equipment required will help any bride plan the perfect event. I called on her on a regular basis during my planning to ask her advice and recommendations. She was so patient with my family and I as we changed our minds constantly and navigated the waters of wedding planning.
    I cannot say enough wonderful statements about Historic London Town and Gardens. I could gush over it for days!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Sent on 10/23/2013

Historic London Town and Gardens's reply:

Katie dear, you were one of my favorites! Thank you for the kind words. Please keep in touch.

Julieta · Married on 04/07/2013

Perfect place for a ceremony
    Wonderful views
    Great attention
    Lots of details
    It was gorgeous

Sent on 04/24/2013
  • Susan

Susan · Married on 03/30/2013

This was a great venue for a 50-100 person waterfront wedding. The gardens were beautiful even for my early spring (March 30th) wedding. We were blessed by a bald eagle that watched the entire ceremony through the windows of the Pavilion!
    The event manager, Jean Shea, is very helpful and is knowledgeable about the best way to set things up. She went above and beyond by following up with my vendors before the wedding to make sure they knew what was expected.

Sent on 04/11/2013

Kristin · Married on 09/07/2012

Historic Londontown & Gardens is beautiful, and everything we could have hoped for as a wedding venue. It's clear they are trying to make themselves the number one wedding venue in the Annapolis/D.C. area.

If I could give "Quality of Service" more than five stars I would. Jean Shea, the event manager, went above and beyond our wildest expectations. She was always responsive with any questions I had, and provided me with helpful guidance on vendors. My husband and I planned most of the wedding ourselves, and it was a very DIY event, so her professional recommendations and years of experience were greatly appreciated. She also hosted an open house for brides-to be and featured several vendors from her "best of the best list." From this evening, we were able to find our photographer and our D.J. - two major wedding decisions taken care of in one night!!! But perhaps the most amazing thing about Jean is her willingness to help. When she found out we were doing our own flowers and had no experience with arranging bouquets or corsages, etc. she offered to help us out the day of our rehearsal. By "help out" I mean she let us come to the venue nearly 4 hours before our scheduled rehearsal time, make a mess of the pavilion, guided us with the bouquets, and made all of our boutonnieres (14 of them!). At the end of the rehearsal day, I asked Jean what I needed to do to wrap the bouquets with ribbon (since that couldn't be done until the wedding day so they'd stay fresh in water overnight), she told me not to worry about it. When I arrived to London Town the afternoon of my wedding and saw my bouquets, I was blown away. She laced each bouquet with the ribbon I provided in such a beautiful way. The flowers were my favorite detail of the wedding, and I got wonderful comments on them throughout the day and after. Thank you, Jean. There are no words to describe how much we appreciate you.

Sent on 09/19/2012

Laura & Patrick · Married on 07/21/2012

London Town is an absolutely amazing place! We first visited in December after looking at a handful of other venues around Northern VA/DC/MD, and immediately fell in love. It is so beautiful in the gardens looking over the South River. We knew if we loved it in December, July would be even more beautiful with everything blooming. Working with Jean and her staff was a very pleasant experience, she was always there to respond to our every need and question. We had a bit of a destination wedding since we live in Northern, Va, so each trip over to Annapolis we checked off as many things as possible. Day off, of course to every brides concern, it rained...all day. We had not really thought much about a rain plan since our love of the venue was on it's beautiful outside. Without a hitch, Jean's staff arranged everything inside and it was spectacular. The rain and lighting made the evening romantic for all of our guests and perfect for us. We would recommend London Town!!! Thank you, Jean!

Sent on 09/11/2012

Richetta · Married on 07/13/2012

I will never regret having my wedding at London Town. Having it on a Friday definitely made it more affordable for us as we were looking for a waterfront ceremony/reception site. Jean Clare Shea is one of the reasons why this venue is so fantastic. In just over the year I was planning my wedding she made lots of improvements like having the interior of the building repainted and adding additional items that could be used and/or rented on site. This location was just beautiful. On a hot July day, there was just something refreshing about being in a garden saying my vows and then getting to look out over the water during the reception and feel like the temperature went down just a little bit. This venue was just right for the unique style I was after for my wedding.

Sent on 08/06/2012

Sherry · Married on 03/31/2012

I can't tell you how many compliments we had from our guests on how beautiful Londontown was for our wedding venue. We had 125 guests so used the tent for dinner and the indoor room for dancing. It worked out perfect and there was plenty of space for everyone. We had a last minute call on having the cocktail hour inside due to weather and it worked our perfect. The grounds are so beautiful and there are so many unique spots to take wonderful pictures. We even had flowers in March since it had been such a mild winter. The tent was just beautiful, and the indoor room had recent painting and renovations that look amazing. Jean is very responsive and knowledgeable to help with any questions you have as well as recommending vendors that fit best to the venue. We could not have been more happy with our choice of Londontown and highly recommend!!!

Sent on 04/20/2012

lauren · Married on 10/22/2011

This place is off the beaten path and a total gem....we wanted something the opposite of your typical wedding factory and London Town was perfect. With views of the water and beautiful gardens, not to mention a plantation home....it gives you all kinds of opportunities. And then there is Jean.....she's wonderful to work with and really takes the time to make sure that your day is perfect and exactly the way that you want it to be.

Sent on 12/09/2011
  • Carol

Carol · Married on 10/02/2011

London Town is AMAZING. It is absolutely beautiful. It is a great price for it being on the waater and it is also great that our money goes towards the organization's mission, rather than just some wedding company. Jean is awesome - super friendly, flexible and responsive through e-mail and helpful (my wedding was on a Sunday and she got us some lanterns from the Friday and Saturday wedding for free).

Sent on 10/14/2011

Shauna · Married on 09/10/2011

We picked Londontown more than a year in advance for our wedding, and I think that is advisable depending on the time of year for the wedding (September seems to be the most popular). For an outdoor venue, I don't think there is a nicer spot for the ceremony and reception than Londontown. The deck looking over the river is great, and the grounds are always very well manicured. If you are aware of the smaller tent size here, then it shouldn't be a problem. Our wedding turned out to be about 75 people which worked fine, there was still space to spare under the tent, but it didn't look bare either.

Jean came on in late 2010 to organize events and sales and she is great. She is super responsive and flexible, within the parameters of the contract and reason of course.

The bottom line is, the venue is great, we got so many compliments on the setting. If you want an outdoor wedding, and are willing to chance it with the weather and some bugs, I can't think of a better place.

Sent on 10/13/2011

Christina · Married on 09/03/2011

London Town is a GORGEOUS place to get married. The wedding coordinator is terrific, and works so hard to make sure everything is perfect on your wedding day. She is the sweetest person. The gardens, tented area, and pavilion area are just stunning. I LOVED every second of my wedding there.

Sent on 09/07/2011

Kristen · Married on 08/13/2011

This was SUCH a unique venue to have our wedding. While we chose to marry at a nearby church, it would have been the perfect setting for the ceremony also. It's so gorgeous that we took all of our photos there too, which makes it very easy on planning logistics, especially for large family photos...
    With a guest list of 125, we chose to have cocktail hour outside, which ended up being changed to inside because of the rain. But it ended up being just as beautiful and it still had an outdoor feel. We ate dinner in the tent, and it stopped raining so we didn't have to use the sides to the tent, and guests spent just as much time inside as outside. Dancing was in the ballroom and the bar was on the deck in between the tent and ballroom, making a nice division of space to travel in during the night. There was a quiet refuge for the older folks, a bar for a breather, and a high intensity dance floor all night long. I loved this place. It was everything I could hope for, and never had a cookie-cutter wedding feel to it. It was such a unique place.

Sent on 09/25/2011

Kerry · Married on 06/03/2011

Historic London Town & Gardens is an amazing wedding venue! At first we were worried that the layout would interrupt the flow of the wedding, but it seemed to have done the opposite. We had lots of compliments that moving from the ceremony site, to the tent, to the pavilion was a great flow. It seemed to have attracted more people to the dance floor, too. Our wedding was a huge dance party, which was what we wanted! There are tons of places to take pictures and different ceremony spots. We lucked out weather wise and had a beautiful day, but I do think if it rained it might have felt squished under just the tent and in the pavilion. It was great that people were able to walk around the grounds and be social. The gardens were beautiful!

Jean was easy to work with, responsive to emails, and flexible with all of my requests. I would suggest having a specific person in charge of the timeline or hiring a wedding coordinator, since this is a venue where you bring EVERYONE in. This responsibility seemed to fall on me at the last minute. It is definitely easier to pick an all-inclusive venue, but I am glad that I put the effort into London Town because I had an absolutely BEAUTIFUL wedding!

Sent on 06/10/2011

Historic London Town and Gardens's reply:

Thank you Kerry, the weather could not have been more perfect. I am so glad it was beautiful for you, you deserve it. Best wishes to you both!

katie · Married on 05/07/2011

The grounds are beautiful and impeccably kept. Jean was always replied promptly to my questions and was very helpful in general. Our wedding was absolutely prefect and HLT was a key component!

Sent on 06/08/2011

Hailey · Married on 10/07/2017

This was the perfect venue for our wedding. It has gardens, it has water views, it has a tent, it has an indoor pavilion with bathrooms. Historic London Town and Gardens has it all. Our wedding was gorgeous and we were able to celebrate the entire evening on the property. For our photos, we had such a variety of backgrounds- it looked like we traveled to multiple locations just to get those shots! The vendor list provided had some of the areas best caterers and entertainers, we are still getting compliments on our food (Zeffert and Gold). The staff at Historic London town was very easy to work with from start to finish.

Hailey,

It was so nice working with both you and Taylor. Thank you so much for the kind words and I hope we see you both (and Dougie) back here soon.

Sarah · Married on 09/16/2017

I had a feeling about London Town from the moment I found it online, and I was right. It has everything you could ask for in a venue: waterfront views, beautiful gardens, historic buildings, covered draped tent with included tables and chairs, indoor pavilion, and a gracious, knowledgeable staff to boot. Keara was lovely to work with from the very beginning. On the date we were scheduled to first tour the site, it was unseasonably rainy and cold. Keara called me, unprompted, that morning offering to reschedule for the next day (Sunday) so we didn't have to head out in the terrible weather. Every interaction since then was at that same level of courtesy and professionalism without the fuss or pretense. Guests loved the space and the "flow" just as much as we did and I am truly grateful to have found London Town. You want to like doing business with your vendors, not just the service, but the people, and London Town delivered on all fronts.

Sent on 09/21/2017

Sarah,

Thank you so much for the kind words. It was such a pleasure working with you and we really hope to see you back here at London Town soon!

Kristin · Married on 05/14/2016

We LOVED having our wedding at London Town and Gardens. The location is perfect right on the water, so many amazing places for pictures- from rustic old buildings, to the dock, to the garden, it really has everything. The venue is super responsive and flexible, and your rental includes tables and chairs, so remember that when calculating cost! So wonderful, and we got tons of compliments on the venue.

Sent on 05/16/2016
  • W

Whitney · Married on 07/26/2014

London Town was the ideal location for our wedding. It has history, it is on the water, it is beautiful and Adriana was amazing to work with. She was able to respond to all my emails and questions in a timely manner and was helpful along the way.

London Town comes with a list of preferred vendors, so that was a great place to start when we were looking. If you have a specific caterer in mind, make sure they are on their approved list first. Also, being a historic site, you aren't allowed to throw anything that isn't a real flower petal or have sparklers of any kind, so if you are imagining a grand exit like that you may want to think of another spot. We had our guests wave ribbon wands as we came up the aisle and it was magical so there are other ideas to consider.

The gardens for the ceremony and cocktail hour were gorgeous, there is enough space for lawn games, a bar on the lawn and food as well. The dinner under their new tent was gorgeous, the dance floor a great size. We had 150 people. We used transportation but there is also ample parking available.

I love London Town, it was the perfect venue also because it is secluded so you know you only have the people you want around you, but also close to Annapolis and a great number of hotels and restaurants.

Our guests commented on how much they loved the venue and several asked how we were able to find it. I guess we were lucky! When we looked for venues in May a year out, the dates were limited to only a couple so I like to say our date the following July chose us. It ended up being perfect.

Highly recommend!!!

Sent on 07/28/2014

Historic London Town and Gardens's reply:

Thank you very much for your review, Whitney! It was such a pleasure having you here for your wedding and working with you. Come back and visit soon.

erica · Married on 10/29/2011

Gorgeous venue! The only reason the value isn't 5 stars is because it snowed on our wedding day and we had to move the ceremony inside and it just wasn't the best/easiest set-up! We worked through it though and had an amazing time! They worked with our caterer to get what we wanted and even allowed our dog to be present which was a must for us! We did have to pay for an extra hour for the caterers to clean up afterwards and they also said there was room for 150 but the caterers said that it would be super tight with no room to walk around if we had the max capacity (Because of the snow and illness we were around 125 and it was perfect, plenty of room!)

Sent on 11/10/2011

annap · Married on 07/10/2010

London Town and Gardens is a dream wedding venue - absolutely gorgeous !! We first looked at LT in the winter time and it was breathtaking - and that was in the winter !! And, it is even more beautiful in the Spring/Summer. Everything about LT is amazing.

Be prepared to pay a seriously hefty price, but trust me - it is all worth it! It was the perfect, dream wedding venue !!

LT is not your typical wedding venue - as it does not specifically cater to weddings, it is in fact a historical site, and merely provides the means for a place to have your wedding ceremony and reception at one location. This is fantastic - you can have everything happen at one location and it's very convenient for you and your guests.

You are on your own in terms of a do-it-yourself wedding with the venue. The venue does not provide typical wedding services. It provides the site, a bridal room, gardens, tent, chairs, tables (although, we rented bigger tables). You have to bring in everything yourself. You must follow LT rules and their contract is very specific as to what you can and cannot do (ex. don't expect to play music after 10pm). We had to request several things to be changed on the contract. It adds some extra stress to the wedding planning process when you think about how much stuff you have to do on your own in regards to the venue and following their rules vs. a typical all-inclusive wedding venue. But, if you get an awesome caterer like Ken's Creative Kitchen (see my wedding wire review), then the stress immediately melts away and you are in good hands ! You don't have to worry about any of the stressful things to plan that go hand in hand with the venue. So it really helps to have someone there like Ken's Creative Kitchen that is experienced with the LT venue and knows what works.

Don't get me wrong though - LT is fantastic in terms of communication. Their staff is very helpful and very friendly. And, they do try to work with you for whatever requests you may have.

Unfortunately, on our wedding day, it rained all morning/day and finally cleared up by the time of the ceremony. No worries at all - LT has a backup for the rain. We held the ceremony in the pavilion and we couldn't have been more pleased and happy that we did - it was so intimate and great and turned out even better than having it outside, since it was so cozy and a lot cooler!! The pavilion is just as gorgeous as the outdoor garden ceremony site as well. You won't have to worry about the weather that day, as the pavilion is a great alternative.

Overall, Lt is definitely worth it (and I'm going to have to add one more time it is definitely even more worth it when you have an awesome caterer taking care of everything for you at the venue). It is an absolutely beautiful, breathtaking, well maintained venue. It has great charm and character and is worth every penny. If you have the budget, LT is worth the splurge!!

Sent on 08/19/2010

Allison Riddle · Married on 11/03/2018

November Wedding

Historic London Town was the first and only wedding venue that we visited before we chose this special place for our special day. Keara and the rest of the staff were extremely professional and helpful, but so personal and friendly at the same time. We couldn’t have asked for a better day to celebrate our marriage.

Sent on 11/11/2018

Historic London Town and Gardens's reply:

A+J - we're so happy you are married! It was a pleasure working with you and we hope to see you on site soon!
  • Laura

Laura · Married on 10/14/2018

A Romantic Fairy Tale Garden

Historic London Town and Gardens is a beautiful place to get married! My husband and I took many trips to the venue during our year of wedding planning and it was beautiful in all seasons. We loved all of the different backdrops for photos. The brick of the William Brown house was sophisticated, the waterfront and dock offered a beach-like feel, the Lord Mayor's tenement and the carpenter's shop provided a historic/rustic back drop, and the gardens offered a woodland fairy tale scene. We chose this venue over other outdoor venues because it has a beautiful pavilion (complete with hardwood floors and big windows) that could be used for the ceremony if it rained. The white reception tent had beautiful chandeliers and twinkle lights, and was spacious without feeling too big for our 70 guests. The bridal suite was really cute as well and great for photographs before the wedding.

Keara always responded promptly and kindly to all emails, even when they were frantic and at 9:00 PM on a weekend. Keara sent us a list of preferred vendors after we signed our contract, which was a very helpful starting point for finding other vendors. We used it for our alcohol provider, bridal party hair and makeup, cake, DJ, and dance floor rental.

London Town requires you to pick from a list of their caterers, many of which were expensive. We eventually decided on one that was within our budget and the food was amazing, but that was stressful at the beginning. If you are going to dance in the tent, London Town requires you to rent a dance floor, which is an additional expense. Many wedding parties use the pavilion for the dance floor and the tent just for dinner, but we didn't want to separate our older, non-dancing guests from the group. Additionally, there wasn't a good spot for the groom to hide out before the wedding, which made it challenging to make sure that my husband and I didn't run into each other before the ceremony.

The positives far outweigh the negatives and we were thrilled with our experience at London Town!

Sent on 01/26/2019

L+A,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. It was such a pleasure hosting you and I am so happy you loved the variety that LT offers for photos and setting. I wish you two a wonderfully happy marriage and hope to see you on site soon.

Warmly,

Keara

Rosie · Married on 08/18/2018

Londontown is a perfect venue for a wedding! It has both beautiful gardens and waterfront views. There are so many amazing photo opportunities to choose from. I believe for the location and everything included it is priced very reasonably. Keara, the events director always responded to any emails very quickly. I highly recommend Londontown.

Sent on 08/29/2018

Kellie · Married on 09/09/2017

We had our wedding at Londontown in early September and was absolutely amazing. Keara was so helpful and easy to work with and the venue is gorgeous. My husband and I are both from Annapolis and felt this venue spoke to both of us-- the beautiful gardens, waterfront view, and historic buildings captured everything we wanted from a venue! Our guests were raving about the scenery and the comfortable atmosphere We highly recommend using Londontown for your wedding!

Historic London Town and Gardens's reply:

Thank you so much for reviewing us Kellie! I hope that you and Nick have a wonderful holiday season and I look forward to seeing you both in the future.

Danyelle · Married on 07/15/2017

Absolutely gorgeous venue! And the service flowed like a well oiled machine. This place definitely knows what it's doing!

Hi Danyelle!

It was such a pleasure hosting you and Scott here. We hope you are enjoying being married and thank you for choosing London Town.