Historic Inns of Annapolis Reviews

Historic Inns of Annapolis 5
Historic Inns of Annapolis 6
Historic Inns of Annapolis 7

Mary · Married on 11/14/2009

The maryland Inn was the perfect place for our wedding---it provided the charm, ambiance and serenity we were looking for. Our guests enjoyed it as much as we did.

Sent on 02/16/2010

Lana · Married on 09/12/2009

We had our wedding at the Governor Calvert House and could not have been any happier. It was a beautiful historic inn, and didn't feel like a hotel ballroom at all. The food was absolutely amazing and so many of our guests commented that it was the best wedding food they had ever had. The venue was great to work with and the location was beautiful. There is a great back patio and a beautiful exposed brick wall in the atrium. I looked at so many venues in Annapolis, and this is the only one that was perfect for my 150 guests. I would highly recommend this location!!!

Sent on 02/18/2010

Kate · Married on 06/30/2018

Overall, we ended up having a happy ending with the Calvert House. We booked last year with Laura, and felt very comfortable with her professionalism. Unfortunately, Laura left the Calvert House shortly thereafter, and the following months left us feeling less than confident. The coordinator hired in Laura's place made several mistakes, didn't follow through, etc., and she ended up leaving as well. We worked with a few other people, feeling more and more stressed, until we met the Catering Director, Michael. Michael could tell that we were unhappy and suggested that we have a meeting to go through everything. Michael sat with us and answered every question we had, and went through the contract and the day line by line to make sure everything was in order. From that day on, we felt much better about how things were going. Michael promptly responded to all of my e-mails, and his experience in the business was evident. Day of, everything went PERFECTLY. There wasn't a single hitch. There were drinks waiting for us at the end of the aisle, and appetizers ready in the bridal suite right after the ceremony so we could eat quickly before pictures. All of our decorations had been put out exactly as we wanted them. The entire Calvert House team was on their game, and we had an amazing wedding. The venue has the perfect Annapolis charm, and our guests were wowed by it. Despite the troubles earlier in the process, if I could do it again, I would absolutely have my wedding at the Calvert House, and highly recommend it to anyone considering it.

Sent on 07/11/2018

Dawn · Married on 05/30/2014

3.5

Michelle and the staff were incredible! They made our day even more special with all their help. Amazing venue and team!!!

Sent on 06/10/2014

3.5

We had a fabulous wedding at the Calvert House! Michelle, our coordinator, really listened to us and brought our unique vision for the event to life. Our guests had a wonderful time and raved about the event. The only hiccups in our experience were a couple of delayed responses and mix-ups during the process, though everything was ultimately resolved to our satisfaction. Also, some of our guests were frustrated that the hotel valet could only be used by hotel guests. Overall, we would absolutely recommend the Calvert House to other couples.

Sent on 03/15/2013

Aislinn · Married on 09/04/2010

3.5

Michelle from the hotel is awesome! She try's to work with you, to make it feel like it is truly your day! The space is so unique and with a bit of creativity you can really make the room feel like your own! Most people seem to love the food (I never got to eat) ...
    The hotel charges your 22% on everything and 13% tax of the hotel rooms (our guest were not happy)... I did not have a problem with the front desk but that was the only complaints from my guests.
    Everything seem to run smoothly and the pictures are turning out awesome. The extra space outdoors on the patio REALLY helps!
    And you probably will need or want to rent chairs...
    Best overall the night/day of my wedding was the best WEEKEND of my life, having it in Annapolis was the best decision I made! :)

Sent on 09/09/2010

Maureen · Married on 07/10/2010

3.0

We had both our ceremony and reception here. They did a nice job with the set up of everything. The space in the atirum is beautiful. The patio area in the back is somewhat narrow and long - so not a large square or retangular space - but it's covered with magnolia tree branches, so it's quite beautiful.

Parking here is a bit of a pain. They have limited space for valet, so you're going to have to have the guests who aren't staying at the Inns park their cars at a local garage. NOTE: this garage is for government works only on the weekdays - so don't expect people to be able to park there if they arrive for your wedding on Friday. Annapolis Trolley is great for a fun and interesting way to shuttle everyone back and forth.

They lost points for professionalism because *during* our ceremony, the wait staff was opening and closing the door that was right by where we were standing. They were actually *walking into the room* and looking around and then walking back out. This happened about twice, but that's already two times too many.

When calculating cost - watch out for the extras for chair covers & napkins in your colors. And don't ignore the 8% tax and the 22% gratuity.

Extra points for Michelle, their wedding coordinator. She was very helpful through the process and answered all of our questions quickly. She recommended some great vendors (do NOT go with Facades draping...you'll have more of a hassel than it's worth) She even dealt with a very last-minute breakfast delivery change the night before the wedding.

Sent on 08/13/2010

Carey · Married on 12/19/2009

3.5

The Calvert house was stunning during the blizzard in December---which is when my husband and I were married. The staff were wonderful, there weren't lines at the bars (and there were definitely people drinking.....) the food was delicious, and the setting is unmatchable. The planning process was difficult in the beginning. We blocked off rooms, but the woman that was in charge of it was completely incompetent. I believe during our planning process she was fired, and someone a lot better took over. It was smooth sailing after that. The Calvert House is the perfect place for an Annapolis wedding, and is the perfect size as well! Guests will love staying in the hotel, and the Bride and Groom will remember their wedding forever.

Sent on 08/12/2010

Sarah · Married on 04/18/2009

3.8
      3.5

I had my wedding reception at the Governor Calvert House. Michelle is great to work with here. The food was fantastic! We had a summer spinach salad with strawberries, followed with a choice of beef filets or crab stuffed rockfish. We had chocolate covered strawberries served with our cake (from Fiona's). The food was seriously the best wedding food I've ever had. It didn't taste like "banquet" food at all. The Historic Inns of Annapolis owns the Governor Calvert House. They redid part of the space a few years ago. The bathrooms need to be updated, and it would be nice if the main dining area looked a little nicer (low ceiling, blank walls). We brought in a lighting company to pin spot the flower arrangements, which made a world of difference. We also paid to have the kitchen entrance draped to make that area look nicer.

When choosing this space, I looked at the USNA Officers Club, the Annapolis Westin, Annapolis Marriott Waterfront, and Maryland Inn. The Governor Calvert House gave me the best of what I wanted: a historic location, accommodations for approximately 150 attendees, great food, and a nice ambiance.

While some improvements would be nice, this is a great location for a wedding.

Sent on 06/02/2009

Katie · Married on 10/02/2015

3.6
      3.0

The Governor Calvert House was a beautiful venue for our fall wedding. I loved that everything was indoors and I did not have to worry about rain on our wedding day (which it poured!). I received multiple compliments on how beautiful the venue was with the string lights and exposed brick walls. The food was delicious! There were plenty of appetizers being passed around during the cocktail hour, and the buffet was very tasty. The bartenders were great and very accommodating. Overall, this is a great venue for a wedding!
    Michelle, the majority of the time, was great to work with. During our initial consultation, she was very helpful and informative. She was able to offer us a discount because we were having a Friday wedding. During that consultation, she mentioned that the food could be provided at a discount as well, but when it came time for our tasting, she said there was no food discount available - that was very misleading. The day of the wedding, she mentioned that she would be at the venue the whole day, helping with set up and little odds and ends that came up. We did not see her until maybe 4pm (our ceremony was at 6:30, we had been there since 8:30am). Prior to that, I had no idea where she was and we had to go to the front desk for anything we needed. Good thing I had hired a day of coordinator and did not rely on Michelle solely.
    Also, as we were getting ready/setting up for our ceremony at 6:30pm, they held a rehearsal for the next night's wedding in the middle of our venue area at 4:30. This made it very challenging for pictures and set-up.
    We also had done a room block with the hotel. This was frustrating because it was a two night min and it was not well explained. Many of our rooms went un-used because our guests only wanted to stay for one night. This is a policy they are not willing to budge on. So make your room blocks at another hotel that is wiling to do one night stays.

Sent on 10/19/2015
  • Melissa

Melissa · Married on 09/29/2018

3.4

Definite Pros and Cons

We had a bumpy road with Historic Inns of Annapolis. We met with their coordinator Laura when we first looked at the venue. She was nice enough but took a long time to get anything back to us. Getting a signed version of the contract was a bit like pulling teeth. We worked with Laura for a bit and it was fine. She took a while to respond to our requests but it was manageable. My husband reached out to her at one point and heard nothing back. He reached out a few weeks later, only to be told that Laura no longer worked there. We were never notified of the change, which was very frustrating. Our new contact was a woman named Ally. She seemed to be a little more organized when we talked to her. During this time, we set up a room block with the hotel. Sallie was probably the nastiest person we interacted with at the venue. Our guests were calling the front desk, only to be told that we didn't have a room block with them. When I brought this up to Sallie, she got short with me about how none of her other couples were complaining about this problem. I assured her that my only concern was for my older guests who might get confused by their lack of discussion on a staff level. We worked with the coordinator Ally for a while but the same thing happened that happened with Laura. We stopped hearing back until we got in contact with someone on their marketing team who let us know that Markus would be our new contact. The venue does a very poor job of notifying couples when a new coordinator is in charge of their event. I can understand staff turnover but the couples should be notified of these changes. Markus was a lot easier to work with, but would still take a little while to respond to us. We worked through all of the details with him, but even though he took notes, it seemed like some things were still mixed up when we got to the wedding. They weren't big details, so this wasn't a particularly big issue. It also took FOREVER to work out paying our deposit for food and drinks. We told the venue multiple times to charge the account before the deadline, but we weren't getting charged. I felt a bit silly begging these people to take our money, but it was frustrating that we were the ones who had to drive that forward. Markus seemed to hang out in the shadows during the wedding. I can only remember seeing him once during the entire day. We hired a coordinator to help us with the event and I'm really glad we did because it helped the day run smoothly. I'm not sure that would have happened without her. The venue itself is beyond amazing. It's such a unique space and in a prime location. Be warned that there isn't parking at the actual venue, so guests will have to park at a nearby parking garage. The food was phenomenal and our guests loved it. The banquet captain that night, Mrs. Cruz, was outstanding and attentive to our needs. The entire banquet staff did a great job. The turnaround time from the ceremony to reception was outstanding as well. The wedding was amazing and I'm glad we had it there, but there are a lot of communication issues to be endured before you get to that perfect day. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and accommodating throughout the entire weekend. We had a (what turned out to be) minor issue the day after the wedding and the staff was quick to jump on top of it. If you're good at being persistent and want a truly unique venue, Historic Inns is a beautiful backdrop for a wedding. Be aware that communication with the venue could be very difficult at times, though.

Sent on 10/15/2018
  • Alexandra

Alexandra · Married on 03/18/2017

2.8
      3.0

Let me just preface this by saying that the venue is absolutely beautiful. The poor rating is entirely related to the lack of staff competency. When we booked initially we were working with Michelle Vellon, who was the event coordinator. Several months ago she left and has been replaced by Laura Studebaker, the catering manager. Laura is very nice but not a wedding coordinator. We were supposed to receive an invoice for our first payment in September and it never came. We must have spoken to Laura at least half a dozen times (when we could get a hold of her) and still could not get an invoice to pay by check. No one in the billing department seemed to know what to do and after months of back and forth we finally just dropped the check off in person at the front desk. I ended up hiring a day of coordinator because at that point I was worried she wouldn't be able to manage things the day of and I'm so glad I did. The day of the wedding there were legislators eating breakfast in the room my bridal party and I were supposed to be getting ready in (per the contract we had the room at 9am). The front desk staff had to ask them to leave by 9:30 so we could get in there in time for hair and makeup. Laura was in a tasting in our reception space while we were getting ready. My coordinator kept having to come up to me and ask questions because Laura was unavailable all morning due to this tasting which my coordinator felt badly about- she said she usually doesn't have to do hardly anything with catering, the caterer is supposed to handle it. Then the couple at the tasting ended up walking through our reception space while things were being set up. Luckily I had amazing vendors otherwise so the day ended up going smoothly despite the initial hiccups. I think I saw Laura maybe once from afar at the reception- she didn't speak to us at all that day and my coordinator said she didn't see her. The actual venue is beautiful, though.

Sent on 03/26/2017

Megan · Married on 07/19/2008

2.4
      2.0
      3.0

I was dealing with Doris for the first couple months, but then one day I called and she never called back. So I kept calling and found out that "she no longer works here." So from then on I dealt with the Director of Catering. She was very helpful but one big complaint I had was that I had ordered one vegetarian meal and was promised grilled veggies in puff pastry. What my guest got was cold plain spaghetti. Needless to say she was disappointed and asked what happened and the wait staff just said that was all they had. Also, the kitchen ran out of salmon even though I had given them exact numbers as to how much we would need. When the night was over at 11pm they immediately turned on all the lights and told everyone to leave. Almost everyone was staying at the hotel so most were just mingling but I thought the staff was rather brusque about the way they did it. There were also some problems with reserving the rooms at a special rate for our guests. We were promised 15 rooms but when our guests called to reserve them they were told that we only had 10 rooms so the grooms grandparents had to stay at another hotel.

Sent on 01/30/2009

Erin · Married on 11/24/2018

2.4

Great Wedding, Terrible Planning Process

Let me start by saying, the actual wedding day at the Historic Inns was beautiful and everything I could have asked for. But, the planning process was more than a bit inconvenient. In fact, it was downright frustrating and caused me to question whether or not we had made the right decision by hosting our wedding at the Historic Inns.
    First, the wedding planner at the Historic Inns changed four times in the year and a half that we were planning our day. We only found out that the wedding planner had changed because our emails to the original planners had gone unanswered. We resorted to calling the front desk and asking for our planner, only to be told that they no longer worked there. This happened THREE TIMES.
    We were finally put in touch with Michael Burdish after I sent a disgruntled email while I was on deployment. After a condescending and borderline disrespectful reply from Michael, in which he insinuated that I was being unreasonable by requesting that my parents receive the invoice for our day, he took over as the planner for our wedding. When the groom went to meet Michael with my parents, in September 2018, he STILL had the old wedding date for our day on his records (which was changed in August of 2017). We had already done a tasting, of which Michael had no record, and proceeded to start from the beginning during this September 2018 meeting.
    The blocking of rooms was unnecessarily difficult, and the price that we got for the rooms ended up being more expensive than the Priceline advertised price. Additionally, the entire wedding party (bride, groom, parents, maid of honor, best man) were all put in rooms in the Maryland Inn (which is NOT where the wedding was being held). We had to switch all of our rooms the day before the wedding when we checked in, and we were told that there was PLENTY of availability at the Governor Calvert House. Why we weren’t put here in the first place remains a mystery.
    When Michael saw the groom during our rehearsal, he said it “was so nice to meet him.” They had sat together and planned the wedding for two hours in September, and Michael did NOT remember meeting him. While I understand that he deals with a lot of couples, this seems like a gross oversight.
    Despite all this, the actual wedding day was beautiful. The venue space is fantastic, the head caterer was wonderful and very helpful, the food was great, and all of our guests had a good time. Yet, the difficulty of the planning process causes me to NOT recommend this venue to any other couples. We never asked for anything unreasonable, merely decent customer service, and the planning process, working with Michael Burdish, and the changing of wedding planners was unnecessarily hard.

Sent on 11/30/2018

1.8
      1.5
      0.5

From the first day I looked at the Governor Calvert House they fixed up a lot but I struggled through most of the wedding planning process. If you want to do easy wedding planning then don't go here BUT it is a very different look and feel so you can make it work. Just note that you have to stay ontop of every little detail to make it work.

I hired Weddings of Romance to coordinate my day. They have worked at this location before and know how to deal with them. If you are looking to hold your wedding here to save yourself I would also hire Weddings of Romance (www.WeddingsofRomance.com). I hope this information helps you.

Sent on 10/18/2007

Tricia · Married on 05/30/2009

1.6
      1.0

The Historic Inns of Annapolis owns 3 hotels in Annapolis, The Governor Calvert House, The Robert Johnson House, and The Maryland Inn. Back in January we made reservations for a suite in The Governor Calvert House. We were notified a short while later that they messed up our reservation and double booked. We were given the option of a two story townhouse which was part of The Robert Johnson House. We ended up liking this better, so we were fine with the switch. I went to look at it and it was very spacious, with two full baths and a downstairs for getting ready, and the bedroom upstairs. Since Hair and Makeup were coming to us space was definitely needed.

Friday evening (around 7 or 8) after the rehearsal dinner my husband and I went to check in. I was spending Friday night with my sisters and figured it would just be easier to check in now, and then my sisters and I could bring our stuff from the Doubletree over later. I was told that our reservations had been canceled and the place had been given to someone else. They stated that it was canceled that afternoon and the woman that canceled it was on a plane and couldn't be reached. The only note in their computer system was change of plans.

I find it hard to believe that someone just happened to need a two story townhouse and asked about it the day that it was randomly canceled. I still don?t know what happened, but either way, they messed up and they informed us that legally they couldn't kick out the individuals staying there. I fought, cried and asked them to talk to the individuals in the room. They said they did, and they wouldn't leave. They gave us a room at The Maryland Inn, a nice suite, about 1/3 of the size and they gave it to us for free. Yes it was nice to save the money, but I had to call all my vendors (hair/makeup, florist, photographer and limo) all after 8 at this point and give them a new address. Plus I had less space for my girls and I to get ready. It still pisses me off when I think about it.

Sent on 07/18/2009

rosalie · Married on 05/12/2018

1.4
      2.0
      1.0

BRIDES BEWARE OF THE CALVERT HOUSE!
    Let me start by saying that the actual location and venue are beautiful. But that is as positive as I can be in this review. I booked this venue in January of 2017. Between Jan 2017 and May of 2018, I had to work with, meet with, and juggle THREE different coordinators as each would just randomly quit. The even bigger issue is the Calvert House’s lack of communication-- how did I find out each coordinator left? I was met with radio silence for WEEKS at a time until I finally was able to reach someone who would nonchalantly inform me that that coordinator had left “a few weeks ago” like it was no big deal.Communication was an absolute NIGHTMARE! Not only could I never get in touch with anyone to answer basic and time sensitive questions, but one coordinator would tell me one thing and the next representative would tell me something completely different. It took over seven days to get in contact with the Calvert House the TWO WEEKS before my wedding- when I did hear back, yet again, there were contradictions and major issues. Just three days before the wedding, I had to hire and pay for a “day of planner” from an outside company because I was so terrified by the lack of communication and lack of promised services. Our bills were overcharged and did not match the contract at all. We had to sit down, just TWO DAYS before the wedding, and go over the bill item by item to correct several mistakes in order to reflect the agreed upon pricing in the contract, something that should’ve been worked out weeks or even months before that date. Very unprofessional for the amount of money being spent at this location. Cake was not cut at wedding (total waste of 400$) and our wedding party was not served any appetizers in the bridal suite.

I would NOT recommend the Calvert House to any of my friends getting married!!! The stress you will experience truly takes away from your big day.

Sent on 05/27/2018

Historic Inns of Annapolis's reply:

Dear Rosalie, we want thank you so much for having your wedding with us and letting everyone know you loved our location and beautiful venue. We sincerely apologize regarding some of the communication problems and the missed items. This certainly was due the turnover we had, however we did compensate you well for these things. You did mention in a letter to me how Markus, your wedding coordinator here at the Calvert House / Historic Inns single handedly accommodated you and made you confident in holding your event at the Calvert House and he deserves 100% praise for the work he did, we appreciated those great comments. For those future brides, we now have seasoned Wedding Director of Catering name Michael Burdish. He will ensure to avoid any problems we may have had in the past. Rest assured we have the right people in place to handle anything going forward.

Regards,
    Daryl Strayer VP/GM

Theresa · Married on 09/30/2016

0.4
      0.5

This Venue is the WORST. Staff quit, no experience. Over charge. Do not present balance until day before at your urging. Venue bathrooms dirty. General Manager rude, does not care.
    Request copies of credit and the lose information three times!!!!!
    Valet Parking logistic nightnare

Sent on 06/05/2018

Historic Inns of Annapolis's reply:

Dear Theresa,
    Thank you for sharing your wedding with us at the Historic Inns. We would like nothing more than for you to feel differently about your experience with us. We know that during the months leading up to your wedding two of our coordinators moved on in their careers and for a bride that can be a bit disconcerting.
    That's why in the weeks leading up to your special day, we assigned two of our coordinators to focus their attention on you and your wedding with the goal that everything would turn out wonderful.
    I have spoken with both of those coordinators and they each confirm that your ceremony was beautiful and that your guests really seemed to enjoy the reception. Both coordinators spoke about how happy you said you were with their service on that day.
    Still, we understand that the road getting to that day was made a bit rocky with the staff turnover you experienced.
    Please be assured that everyone here at the Historic Inns does care about you -- from the coordinators who worked directly with you to our General Manager -- you have all our best wishes for a bright and happy future with your new husband and family.

Warm Regards,