Historic Inns of Annapolis Reviews

Historic Inns of Annapolis 4
Historic Inns of Annapolis 5
Historic Inns of Annapolis 6
Historic Inns of Annapolis 7

We had our wedding at the Governor Calvert House and the brunch the next morning at the Maryland Inn. Both were phenomenal. In the 10 months of working with Michelle Vellon, the catering manager, on our wedding, she was quick to accomodate every request we had and the wedding was absolutely beautiful. The service was flawless as well. From passed hors d'oeuvres to the food service to wine service to the bars to passed late night food, everything was perfect. We also had 100 plus people staying at the Historic Inns of Annapolis for the weekend and Mike April, the front desk manager, was exceptional to work with in booking the rooms.

Sent on 12/06/2012

Becca · Married on 06/22/2012

Applause! Applause! Applause! The staff at the Governor Calvert House were so caring, patient and professional. The venue space was perfect for our needs. We were to have our ceremony in the courtyard, but it rained, so we moved to Atrium space, which was lovely. The complementary bride and groom suite was awesome. Michelle, the Director of Catering/Event Planner, answered all of my many questions. The food was great too! The venue also supplies votives and table card holders - things I didn't want to buy and then have to toss. Super convenient. The only issue we had was valet parking guarantees for guests not staying at the hotel, but most people managed fine.

Sent on 06/28/2012
  • Lisa

Lisa · Married on 05/05/2012

Me, my husband, family, and friends we very pleased with the service, food, and everything about the Governor Calvert House! They set everything up how I had envisioned for our wedding and was very flexible when I kept changing my mind! Michelle the event coordinator responded to all my emails very promptly!!! This venue was the top of our budget but was worth every penny. Michelle was there to set everything up the day of our wedding and there during to make sure everything went as planned. I have only wonderful memories about this night :)

Sent on 07/07/2012

Allison & Doug · Married on 09/10/2011

My husband and I got married at the Governor Calvert House on September 10th 2011 and had a wonderful wedding! The venue is beautiful and has so much character! The set up really lends to a smooth and flowing wedding. The food was very good and the bar service was prompt. The staff was seamless in their transition between the different parts of our event, and did not mess up on any details they were responsible for. Some staff of the Gov. Calvert House even went to pick up my cake that had been dropped off at the wrong location close by, by my baker! The one thing I can say that is not so great, one (out of 2) bartender would not serve alcohol with out an ID to one of the members of our bridal party. She was the only guest out of 134 people who encountered this. She was obviously bridal party and obviously of age (she is in her mid-twenties and looks it.) She was obviously upset and had to go to her room to retrieve her ID. It was ridiculous and inconvenient for her. I am all for not serving to those under age, but this was a hassle. I would recommend to tell all your guests and bridal party to have their ID and have it handy. Besides that it was great. Michelle Vellon the wedding coordinator was truly wonderful to work with. She was so prompt in responding to every email. She took the time to answer all my questions, no matter how repetitive. She really helped this whole thing go smoothly. Thanks again to the venue and to Michelle! I would recommend to others.

Sent on 09/27/2011

Ariel · Married on 08/06/2011

Having a wedding at the Calvert house was very easy! Michelle, the events coordinator, is extremely responsive and easy to work with. The space can be set up in all sorts of ways, so you can design your event yourself, but have all of the catering, chairs, etc. taken care of and not need to coordinate with lots of people. On the day of, the space looked gorgeous and the service was great. We were very happy with this venue!

Sent on 09/11/2011
  • KMG

Katie · Married on 08/28/2010

Michelle Vellon and the team at Historic Inns of Annapolis created a flawless wedding reception and accommodations for my guest. The staff was incredibly attentive and gracious. They greeted everyone with big smiles throughout the weekend.

Michelle was wonderful to work with and made sure every one of our requests was honored. She was always available on email and very responsive. The caterers hand crafted a few hors d'oeuvres for us, which were delicious, and the catered meal was top notch. They were quite willing to add any specialty requests we had to the food and drink menu. For instance, we were able to go with the basic liquor and beer menu, but could add premium gin and scotch. We also added sliders and french fries with old bay, that were made available around 10pm. A great (delicious!) perk...esp for those brides who miss dinner!

We had 176 guests and throughout the planning process I was so nervous that the ballroom would be too cramped. Michelle continued to assure me that it wouldnt be a problem, and she was right. There was plenty of room between the 18 tables and it was easy to move around the room to greet our guests. I was also nervous about the ballroom being separated from the atrium/dance floor, but that was not a problem at all.

Historic Inns created a flawless reception in a charming, historic setting.

Sent on 09/18/2010

Vlasta · Married on 01/13/2018

This is a beautiful historic venue for my daughters wedding reception. The reception area is spacious and charming and the food was delicious, the service was great! Rave reviews from our guests.

Sent on 02/01/2018

Karen · Married on 10/15/2016

I can't say enough how happy I was with this venue. Laura Studebaker was amazing to work with and she kept things going smooth all night. She was very responsive with all our needs right before the wedding. She did a great job in setting everything up exactly how I had envisioned. The atrium was perfect for the ceremony and I can't wait to see all the pictures. The food was amazing from the cocktail hour to the sit-down dinner. We have received so many compliments from our guests.

Sent on 10/18/2016

Angela · Married on 05/14/2016

We immediately fell in love with the beautiful, intimate, historic space when we saw it on-line and again in person. We ultimately decided on having it in the Governor Calvert House Atrium and Ballroom. We were also able to use the outdoor area off of the atrium, which worked out perfectly, because we had a cigar roller, and we were able to smoke them out there. We worked with Michelle, and she was amazing! We had to change the date of our wedding because the best man was deploying (which I’m sure you can imagine is extremely stressful). She was extremely helpful when we had to move it. She answered all of my many, many questions (for over a year and a half) quickly. We decided to add a pasta station, the seafood bar, and an additional passed hors d’oeuvres to the cocktail hour. Our guests loved them. She was so organized, accommodating, followed up on everything, and had an amazing ability to reduce my stress levels. The day of the wedding she handled all of the vendor coordination, and the schedule (cake cutting, sparkler send-off, etc.) It was a pleasure to work with her. The only thing that I want to mention, that was disappointing (non Michelle related\ different depatrment), was the way that the staff handled a situation with my room blocking approximately 2 months before the wedding. The week before I was going to send out my invitations (on which the hotel info was printed), I was informed that all of my rooms on the block, had been booked, and that I could not block 10 more rooms at the old rate. No solution was offered, the Sales Coordinator apologized, and told me this is a very busy this time a year. She then proceeded to give me a quick lesson on how she needs to run a business. It was just an extremely unprofessional way for someone in the hospitality business to handle a situation. It eventually worked out; I received so many compliments on the hotel rooms and the staff, after the wedding that overall I was happy with their service.

Sent on 06/21/2016

We want to thank Michelle Vellon and the staff at the Governor Calvert House for a great wedding experience! We chose the Governor Calvert House for its downtown Annapolis location and could not have been happier. The location is perfect for guests to enjoy the city of Annapolis, and it provides the historic charm that Annapolis is known for. Michelle is a fabulous, and you can tell that she has coordinated numerous weddings. She had the answer to all of our questions, handled all of our requests with ease, and helped with all the last minute craziness of the wedding day. Her staff is also just as fabulous as she is. They were extremely helpful in letting us store rental items at the facility and went out of their way to help me find a sentimental item that got lost in the busy shuffle of the day. The only downside to this venue is that you are obligated to use their food and bar resources, which got a little pricey when we wanted to customize certain items. However, the experience was well worth it!

Sent on 05/13/2015

Bridget · Married on 06/06/2014

Historic Inns was the perfect place for my vintage themed wedding! Michelle was amazing! She was very responsive. She replied to all my emails promptly and never seemed annoyed or gave the impression I was bothering her. She was very professional and great to work with. She handled all my requests. There wasn't anything she said no to. Historic Inns was very flexible and worked great with all our vendors. Michelle was also great at handling my last minute requests. The venue was perfect! It was beautiful and spacious! The flow was great between ceremony, cocktail hour and dinner. Parking can be a little tough for your guests but if you plan ahead this isn't to much of an issue since there are several parking garages and a local shuttle. I recommend Historic Inns for your big day or any other event!

Sent on 06/30/2014

Amanda · Married on 08/17/2013

After searching all over Annapolis for the perfect reception site, we finally found the one that had everything we imagined and more! The atrium was the perfect place for dancing and we loved how there were areas for our guests to go outside in the courtyard and the dining room was separate which was a bonus. Michelle was by far the best and most professional out of all the wedding coordinators we met with. She always had a smile on her face and ensured that everything was perfect for the day of our wedding. They have the best location and the historic charm of Annapolis can't be beat!

Sent on 08/25/2013

Lauren · Married on 12/11/2010

Michelle is amazing! Everything went very smoothly, the food was wonderful (our guests are still talking about it) and the food and bar service was impecable. The bartenders were very professional and efficient with getting the drinks out fast so the guests didn't have to wait. Michelle ran things like a true professional and kept me calm throughout all of the planning. She was open to different suggestions and ideas and helped us create an amazing day.

The only tiny issue was with our block of rooms, the guests all wanted to stay in the Calvert House, but all of the rooms in the Calvert House weren't available in our block so some stayed at the affiliated hotels a couple of blocks away. But it was no big deal.

Sent on 12/21/2010

Heather · Married on 05/12/2007

Doris, my contact for the reception venue at The Maryland Inn, was a delight both professionally and personally. She made the evening a success; but even more importantly dealt with a long-distance nervous bride with grace and reassurance. She made it all very very easy. The food service and staff at the Inn was also excellent. Who doesnt like crab cakes at their reception???? :)

Sent on 06/03/2008

Elizabeth · Married on 09/01/2013

It will be hard to keep this review short -- the Historic Inns of Annapolis was absolutely everything I had dreamed of for my wedding. Michelle -- the coordinator with the Historic Inns -- was absolutely fantastic to work with. Throughout the entire wedding process, she answered every single stupid question that I had, and was helpful to make recommendations and accommodation. Once we got down to Annapolis the weekend of the wedding, she was on top of absolutely everything -- even with having another wedding the handle the day before. She helped coordinate all the decorations I had brought, and even re-alphabetized my seating cards when we realized there was a problem with what we had originally planned. She walked us through every part of rehearsal and helped us come up with solutions to getting my unique party down the aisle. By the time the "day-of" came, Michelle had a handle on absolutely everything that was going on, and even spent some of her time putting rose petals up and down the aisle for us. I don't think there is any way to thank her for all of the things that she did for us, and I cannot imagine having planned this wedding without her. Historic Inns of Annapolis truly know what they are doing. Also - I just want to quickly mention that absolutely every single one of our guests were enthralled with the wedding venue and the quaint beauty of the Governor Calvert House. Most had never seen a venue like that before and everybody complimented us on it -- as well as the food! Nobody likes bad wedding food, but the Historic Inns provided the exact opposite -- so wonderful. If there is anything that I felt even a hair of doubt about, it was that we did feel as if we were completely rushed out as soon as the 11:00 PM bell hit. However, with that being said, I do understand the need to get people out, we could have definitely hung around all night. Michelle did a great job of helping getting us everything that we had left - just A++!

Sent on 10/09/2013

Noel · Married on 07/26/2013

Our wedding reception was beautiful at the Governor Calvert House. The food was incredible and our guests have been complimenting it since the wedding!
    The only downside is that we bought the open bar package, but they will not pour shots because of their liquor license...so be warned.
    With all the taxes, it ended up being about $150-$160 a head, which was a little up there, but again, the food was great and the service was as well.

Sent on 08/07/2013

Cortni · Married on 01/13/2013

There truly are not enough words to describe how wonderful, professional, and friendly the team at the Maryland Inn are that created such a beautiful wedding. Our wedding was beyond perfect thanks to Michelle Vellon and her staff. I went to several hotels in the Annapolis area looking to host my small but intimate wedding and many directors didn't even bother to respond back to my emails when I said the guest list would be below 50. Once I saw the Maryland Inn and met Michelle I knew I found the perfect spot to have our wedding. Michelle's vendor list made the planning a breeze due to all the vendors being very familiar with the hotel and being local. Annapolis is home to us and the place we love to live and the only place to have a local wedding is with the Historic Inns.

Sent on 01/26/2013

Jill · Married on 04/28/2012

For a whole year before the wedding Michelle made us feel as though the wedding was next weekend and we were the only ones on her schedule. She was the most responsive and flexible vendor we dealt with. Michelle and the chef helped us (and by us I mean my husband and two sets of parents!!) adjust the menu to exactly what we wanted. The kitchen made some some special spaghetti and chicken tenders for my nephews and niece just moments after making the request. Michelle even arranged a "to go" plate for my friends who had to go to the hospital that day and stopped by in their street clothes to congratulate us. Absolutely fantastic. Thank you, Michelle!

Sent on 05/09/2012

Kelly · Married on 06/11/2011

3.5

I could not be more thrilled with the exceptional attention and service provided by Michelle and her team with the Historic Inns of Annapolis for my wedding reception on June 11, 2011 at the Governor Calvert House.

They were more than willing to accommodate my budget and were always a pleasure to do business with, whether in person, over the phone or through emails. Michelle is a very capable wedding coordinator and would answer any questions I had about any aspect of the event. Every detail of my reception was noted and perfectly executed. There was absolutely nothing I had to worry about with Michelle in charge.

I am so happy that they were willing to provide the most beautiful venue and exceptional service for my afternoon heavy hors d'oeuvres reception. The space was so beautifully decorated as it was that any decoration on my part would have been completely unnecessary. The food was all delicious and fresh, and the servers were all wonderful. My husband and I even had a gorgeous complimentary Honeymoon Suite included in our package.

I highly recommend the Historic Inns of Annapolis to anyone who needs a beautiful, classic yet unique venue. I only gave a rating of 3.5 stars for Value because of their unfortunate lack of convenient parking, however, they do offer a valet service.

Sent on 08/21/2011

Laurie · Married on 11/13/2010

The Historic Inns of Annapolis was the perfect spot for our wedding day! Specifically, our reception was in the Governor Calvert House. It is a beautiful place with a unique set providing a sense of charm that our guests truly loved! They thought the Atrium was amazing. More than the outward appearance of the Governor Calvert House and reception space, we are thoroughly pleased with our on site coordinator, Michelle Vellon. From our initial meeting, to signing the contract, and planning all the last minute details before and during the wedding day, she was a pleasure to work with and very helpful to us! She answered all of our questions promptly and explained every last detail well. We had no worries! Plus, the food is incredible! The chef worked with the menu to provide choices that fit our tastes. After the menu tasting, we had a tough final decision to narrow down the choices! Our guests raved about the food. The bartenders were excellent. I cannot recall anyone waiting for drinks and Marty always had my drink ready to go. We highly recommend the Historic Inns for a reception venue!

All our guests loved staying at the hotels. Everyone was very accommodating and it is much appreciated as my husband’s family stayed for 7 nights! In fact, many of our other guests stayed for several nights. (we did too). The valets and front desk staff were truly remarkable.

On the other hand, working with them for planning our hotel block was a bit frustrating at times. We were given conflicting information regarding the ease of adding rooms to the block. Of course we wanted as many as possible in the Governor Calvert House. The first time we tried to add rooms, they gave us more rooms in the other hotels instead. We had to constantly ask that our guests be put in the hotel with the reception. At times, our guests were told there were no rooms left in our block when we did have availability. Another time we added rooms to the block, we were told the rates may increase. Just be sure to ask questions and gather information. Their General Manager was very helpful to clarify things for us when necessary. We are happy he was able to help and in the end, things worked out in our favor.

Sent on 01/06/2011

I loved having my reception at the duke of Gloucester within the Maryland Inn. We had an intimate wedding of 40 people, and the place was perfect. The only complaint was the slightly small dance floor. Most everyone stayed at the hotels in this group of three hotels. I was slightly upset mr he coordinator, Michelle, never offered to meet with me to say hello. I know she is busy and I was busy, but to call and check in after someone spends a lot of money with your business is thoughtful. Otherwise, GREAT experience!!

Sent on 04/01/2014
  • Beth

Beth · Married on 04/20/2013

Wonderful, wonderful place to have a wedding. Michelle V is incredibly responsive and helpful. We felt very comfortable knowing that she would take care of everything. All of our "personal touches" like photo table numbers, wedding favors and guest noes/cards were displayed exactly as we wanted and we didn't have to worry about a thing. The evening went like clockwork and everyone had a great. Not cheap but worth every penny!!

Sent on 04/30/2013

Excellent place for a wedding and reception! We had a great experience working with Michelle Vellon, the event coordinator there. She clearly enjoys her job and she's very good at it. She was very responsive to every single email and phone call. We were able to plan everything the way we wanted it and she offered great suggestions when we asked for them. We were able to drop off all of our decorations the day before the wedding and go through everything with Michelle so she knew how we wanted everything to be set up. My uncle raved about how smoothly the event unfolded and how attentive the staff was. Having worked in the catering/event planning industry before, he can be very critical of these events so receiving his praise says a lot! My only complaint was about one hiccup in the food service. We chose to have food stations and at one point they ran out of crab cakes. I was LIVID and approached a staff member telling her that I wanted a crab cake. She said there was another batch coming out in 2 minutes. They did come out in less than 2 minutes, but I was still disappointed in this interruption in service.

Sent on 06/21/2012

Kerry · Married on 10/30/2010

This review will take two parts - the catering/reception bit, and the hotel rooms.

Michelle Vellon and the catering and banquet planning team were AMAZING. I can't have enough positive things to say about Michelle. She was easy to work with, incredibly flexible, accommodating of all our strange requests. The food was delicious, the service was excellent, the bartenders were quick and every ran incredibly smoothly. Not to mention the space (we were at Gov. Calvert House) is downright gorgeous.

Sadly, Historic Inns can't get a 5 star review out of me because the rooms - and more importantly - the front desk were absolutely atrocious. When securing a block of rooms, they wanted me to financially guarantee the rooms (90% of total if not filled) AND release the block a month before the wedding. I booked a block 6 months in advance to be told there were only 15 rooms left. On the weekend of, guests were checking in well after check-in time to find that their rooms weren't ready. Valets took 45 minutes to get cars around. ALL OF THE CLOCKS in the hotel reset on Saturday night so everyone was an hour behind on Sunday morning (they programmed daylight savings incorrectly). More than that, the front desk staff was generally unhelpful and occasionally just rude.

So, 6 stars (on a scale of 5) for the banquet people, but 2 for the rooms and front desk. I'd definitely recommend hosting an event here, without hesitation, but it's worth the hassle to suggest that guests stay elsewhere.

Sent on 11/09/2010

Anna · Married on 05/30/2010

Michelle was amazing to work with. She answered all of our questions quickly and ran the day of the wedding without a single problem. I will note that the one time I spoke to the general manager Joe about a concern (the new mural that was put up without telling any of the brides) he was completely unresponsive and dismissive.

However, over all the experience was fantastic, and I credit most of that to the high level of service provided by Michelle.

Sent on 06/10/2010