Historic Inns of Annapolis Reviews

Historic Inns of Annapolis 5
Historic Inns of Annapolis 6
Historic Inns of Annapolis 7

Kristina · Married on 07/02/2011

We could not be happier with our choice of the Historic Inns of Annapolis for both our rehearsal dinner and wedding ceremony/reception. The location itself is perfect, situated right in the heart of the brick-lined, colonial streets of historic downtown Annapolis. The Inns are absolutely exquisite, filled with colonial charm and elegance. We also enjoyed working with the staff of the Historic Inns. The catering and events staff, including Michelle Vellon, the director of catering, were professional, knowledgeable, organized and responsive. I am not from the Annapolis area, and Michelle was tremendously helpful with her referrals to other wedding services. Also, she was very attentive and certainly made our wedding day flow absolutely perfectly! Moreover, the food and food service was excellent. Our guests at our rehearsal dinner at the Maryland Inn and our wedding brunch at the Governor Calvert House raved about the food and ambience. Our wedding weekend was absolutely perfect and we were so pleased with choosing the Historical Inns of Annapolis as the hub of our festivities. I would recommend their wedding services with confidence!

Sent on 08/01/2011

Sarah · Married on 05/28/2011

The Maryland Inn went above and beyond the call of duty for our event. Michelle Vellon and Kim Rooney were absolutely amazing on every level. Our wedding had some unique challenges due to the fact that it was very DIY and we did the cake and flowers ourselves. The Maryland Inn was very receptive to our wishes, easy to work with, and handled all the challenges we could throw at them with absolute grace. We could not get over the reception quality that we had for the price we paid! Michelle was easy to coordinate and correspond with and was always on top of her game. Our wedding coordinator for the day, Kim Rooney was FANTASTIC! She, while covered in cake icing, still managed to give me a hug and call the salon to tell them I was running late. She also did a remarkable job in decorating the room and setting up everything to our vision. She always made us feel comfortable and confident in her abilities. The wait staff also as well was extremely well mannered and pleasant. Our wedding reception went above our expectations and would highly recommend Historic Inns of Annapolis for any event.

Sent on 06/08/2011

Brooke · Married on 05/07/2011

Where do I start!!!! Michelle Vellon and the staff at the Gov. Calvert House were awesome! Michelle was a great help right from the beginning! My guests are still talking about how perfect everything was! Michelle gave awesome advice on DJ, photographer, etc! I would highly recommend this venue! They made our wedding perfect! The Gov. Calvert House is the perfect Annapolis spot!!!!!!!

Sent on 05/17/2011

Shannon · Married on 05/06/2011

Michelle Vellon (Catering manager and who you work with regarding the details and the planning of your reception) was amazing! Professional, courteous, and I didn't have to worry about one detail regarding my reception because Michelle was excellent!! I knew I was in good hands! I still made sure I got some references and asked recent brides who had had their reception there and they were also highly impressed and satisfied with choosing this venue for the reception.

I couldn't have asked for a better reception! You won't regret it if you pick Governor Calvert House!

Sent on 12/19/2011

donna · Married on 03/05/2011

michelle vellon(director of catering and everthing else) knows her stuff. loves her job. makes your wedding special no matter what the budget.we live in florida and had to do everthing over the phone with one quick visit months earlier. she learned of our style and we then were able to leave final decisions up to her. the food was great (buffet)and we never ran out. kitchen help brought medication to my other daughter's nurse (as requested) upon arrival to the reception. a very caring and professional staff. it was the perfect day

Sent on 03/10/2011

Casey · Married on 01/29/2011

We used the Governor Calvert House as our reception venue as well as the hotels (Maryland Inn, Robert Johnson House, Governor Calvert House) for our guests. The hotel was great! You cannot beat the location right on State Circle in downtown Annapolis. Also, Michelle, the wedding coordinator, was amazing. She took care of so much on the day of - it was great. They also have a great room for the bride and the wedding party for pre, during and post reception stuff - very important. The ballroom is great because you can really transform it into whatever you want. However, the Atrium needs nothing - it looks like a city street - so it works so wonderfully.

Sent on 02/01/2011
  • Meredith

Meredith · Married on 01/08/2011

Absolutely breathtaking! If you're getting married in Annapolis, there's really no place like the Historic Inns. We had our reception there, and all of our guests stayed there. It was so beautiful, classy, and had real character (very unlike a cookie-cutter hotel). Charming!

The catering staff was fantastic. They were so friendly and helpful, and the FOOD was AMAZING! They have such great chefs.

Make sure your wedding party knows which building they're staying in... there are three different buildings. They are very close together, but it can get confusing.

Sent on 01/25/2011

Annemarie · Married on 10/23/2010

Working with Michelle Vellon at the Governor Calvert House (one of the Historic Inns of Annapolis) was wonderful. She was extremely quick with her responses to emails and phone calls and very helpful with all of my questions. She was very flexible to set up meeting times. Michelle was also very helpful when it came time to make decisions. I would highly recommend planning a wedding (or other event) at one of the Historic Inns of Annapolis!

Sent on 11/08/2010

Joan · Married on 10/02/2010

We loved the venue as it provided charm, interest, great location and intimacy. The venue can be transformed into a lavish affair or understated. Since we felt the venue was perfect as is, we didn't have the need to add too much else.

We did not know anything about the quality of the food prior to the wedding. We were pleasantly surprised at how delicious everything was. We had many compliments on the food.

We had a wonderful experience at Historic Inns of Annapolis and would certainly recommend this venue for a wedding or event.

Sent on 11/02/2010

Jessica · Married on 07/03/2010

This was such a beautiful location right in the heart of downtown Annapolis which made it convenient for out of town guests to enjoy the town before and after our event. The coordinator, Michelle, was an absolute dream---so helpful and always quick to respond to any questions I had. She and the entire Historic Inns of Annapolis team made my wedding more than I could have imagined!

Sent on 07/20/2010

Ashlun · Married on 06/12/2010

The staff was so great to work with! Everyone was so helpful, accommodating and understanding of what we wanted our day to be. They worked with outside vendors to make sure all the details fell perfectly into place. We had a special request hor d'oeuvre that they were more than happy to create. The Rockfish Oscar was scrumptious! The venue space was a beautiful backdrop and not many extras were needed. Our guests cannot stop telling us how lovely the day was. Thank you so much HIA!

Sent on 07/01/2010

Katie · Married on 04/30/2010

As soon as I walked into the Governor Calvert House I literally thought “this is the place!” And it truly was perfect. Looking back, I can’t imagine having my wedding at any other venue. First of all the location is amazing. Being in downtown Annapolis directly across from the State House allows for incredible pictures. The location also made our guests even more excited to attend, especially out-of-towners who had never been to Annapolis. Once you walk inside and see the exposed brick and beautiful wood floors you just smile. And having a huge terrace as a place for guests to mingle really makes the space open up. Secondly the staff at the Governor Calvert House is awesome, especially Michelle Vellon!!! She was very open and responsive to questions, suggestions, and was just willing to help us out in any way to make the day so special. Michelle told us not to worry about anything she was there to set things up and coordinate with vendors and that’s exactly what she did…and then some! I was sure she was going to laugh when I showed up with a huge pile of things (pictures, time capsule, favors, programs, pens, etc…) to be set up on the wedding day, but she didn’t even blink an eye. Michelle made my wedding day stress and worry free. I am so thankful to have had her there! And the food is awesome! Kudos to the chef! One problem we did have was with some of our guests who booked to stay at the Governor Calvert House were bumped to the Maryland Inn. It’s not a huge deal since the Maryland Inn is right around the corner, but it was a little annoying. Overall, The Governor Calvert House was the perfect setting for my wedding, if you haven’t checked it out yet I really suggest that you do!

Sent on 05/19/2010
  • Betsy

Betsy · Married on 04/17/2010

From beginning to end, our rehearsal dinner event at the Maryland Inn was perfect in every way. Michele's attention to detail was top notch. Having a cocktail hour in the main lobby was brilliant and allowed guests to mingle before dinner. We chose the Chesapeake Buffet which gave our out of town guests a chance to enjoy some authentic Maryland cuisine. The rockfish topped with crab was a huge hit as was the peach/blueberry cobbler for dessert. All the food was delicious. Not only was the planning of the event simple, but the service at our dinner was outstanding. For the price and service we received I would definitely plan another event here.

Sent on 08/18/2014

Katie · Married on 04/10/2010

I feel that every single person that we worked with at the Historic Inns was 100% professional, and went above and beyond at every opportunity from the first time I contacted them. We had been looking at various venue options throughout the area, and also had a size issue that ruled out a lot of smaller venues in the area. Some of the things that drew us to the Calvert House were how unique and quaint the facility was, the location, and the price compared to other options in the vicinity. You really get a lot of value for your dollar there. Our wedding was at the Naval Academy, and we loved that our guests would be able to walk from the hotel to the wedding and then to the reception. Also, they were right downtown when the reception ended. It worked out so well!
    We ended up taking the Calvert House to the very brink of their capacity for a sit-down dinner in the end, but they made it work. We had invited 300 people to the wedding, and the capacity for a sit-down was 200 in the ballroom with overflow to the atrium. However, Michelle was so great at showing us all of our options no matter what the number was. Leading up to the wedding we were going between doing a sit-down with assigned seating in one room and a cocktail style with open seating throughout the two rooms and outside. It was only when we got to our magic number a week before our wedding that we decided to do a sit-down. It was completely seamless to make the transition, and they made it work perfectly. They were able to accommodate every request that we made. It felt so great not to have to worry about anything. They made the bridal room that is off the atrium available for my bridesmaids and I to get ready on the day of the wedding including having our hairdressers there. We were able to have a lot of people in that room and had space to bring in some snacks for the bridesmaids and my family, which made it very fun and cozy. There were couches and a TV that kept the little ones occupied and happy!
    The food was absolutely incredible! The chef was awesome too. The hardest part of the food tasting was deciding what to choose. Since we could not try the pork entree, we asked if we could at least sample the glaze and they were glad to do that. The glaze sold us on the pork entree. We wanted to eat whatever it was put on! One of our other entrees was the crab cakes, which our guests are still raving about.
    The hotel rooms were very nice, and the staff was great. It was so neat that some of the hotel rooms overlooked the atrium, where all of the dancing was going on. One of the highlights for many was my dad playing the air guitar from the window of my parents' hotel room during the reception.
    I honestly do not have any complaints except that I was sick and could hardly eat any of the delicious food! All in all, it was such an amazing setting for a reception. I felt so unbelievably taken care of by the spectacular people there, and I recommend the Historic Inns to anyone. They are incredible!

Sent on 11/15/2010

John · Married on 03/27/2010

The Maryland Inn Duke of Gloucester room was the site for our wedding. Michelle Vellon was a pleasure to deal with and the chef and catering staff delivered an event that all of our friends and family have been raving about ever since. It truly exceeded our expectations and I would highly recommend the Historic Inns of Annapolis for your wedding. We booked a block of rooms and most of our friends and family traveled in for the big event and the rooms were comfortable, quiet despite being located in the middle of Annapolis and there were no complaints!

Sent on 04/04/2010

Jessica · Married on 07/25/2009

Great prices, great service. This reception venue is wonderful.

Sent on 09/02/2009
  • Holli

Holli · Married on 09/20/2008

The Governor Calvert House was a fantastic wedding location. It's beautiful with a historic feel and an area that allows flexibility for the layout and flow for the entire day. They were extremely helpful in suggesting vendors and working with everyone. The supplied all the table, orders the upgraded chairs we wanted and even offered two linen choices if you wanted to use them. The team at the Gov. Calvert House was amazing. The inn was full due to a Navy game but they helped us find rooms for all of our out of town guest. And the event was catered by The Treaty of Paris restaurant which was phenomenal and the their were plenty of options for the cocktail hour and dinners. They also provide champagne for toast and a chocolate covered strawberry with every piece of cake. I would recommend the Governor Calvert House without any hesitation, we loved it and all our guest loved it too. Michelle the wedding coordinator was a huge help during the planning process and on the big day. I have a very detail oriented bride and she was always available and on top of everything. If i had it all to do again, i won't look anywhere else. This location is perfect and that id what you want on your special day.

Sent on 10/05/2008

Kristin · Married on 01/12/2008

We really enjoyed the quaintness of our reception at the Governor Calvert House. It was large enough to hold 165 guests comfortably. Our coordinator was also readily available to ask questions to, set up food tasting and even meet our servers and chef. We had a wonderful reception with foods that were specific to our requests, plenty of servers to keep our food on time and a extremely tasty menu. Our guests raved about the site and food!

Sent on 04/15/2009

Karen · Married on 08/28/2004

Great venue for both ceremony and reception!

Sent on 03/20/2009

We just had our wedding reception at The Governor Calvert House and loved it! Michelle was a dream to work with as she was quick to answer all of our questions and provided great service. We had many compliments on our venue from our guests! We would recommend the Calvert House to anyone looking for a reception venue!

Sent on 01/26/2015

Rebecca · Married on 10/25/2014

We received so many comments on the beauty and class of our reception venue! It was truly the right size for our 115 guests and offered both indoor and outdoor spaces. The staff at the Calvert House were accommodating, and Michelle Vellon was not only professional and helpful but went out of her way several times as our day-of-planner, allowing my husband and I to truly trust her and enjoy the party (we had realized during set up that we had neglected to put together an entire box of favors, Michelle saved the day!). Our reception at the Calvert House was everything we had hoped it would be, and we highly recommend this venue to others looking in Annapolis!

Sent on 11/12/2014

Jennifer · Married on 08/31/2014

I knew I wanted my wedding to be in downtown Annapolis, but I didn't know where. As soon as my fiancee (now husband) and I saw this place, we knew it was perfect. The red brick/historic look fits in perfectly with the downtown vibe. It also has rooms for guests, great food (and S'mores!). The best part was working with their wedding coordinator Michelle. She was a real-pro and really helped us navigate all of our options and work within our budget.

Sent on 11/03/2014

Jane · Married on 01/19/2014

The Maryland Inn is a beautiful historic venue in the heart of Annapolis, MD. The staff were patient and helpful throughout my planning process. The were happy to work with me to craft a party that matched my desires and stayed within my budget. The menu choices were varied and delicious. Service was professional and elegant. The Duke of Gloucester room is a gem with large windows and flanked on either end by fireplaces.

Sent on 02/11/2014

Jordan · Married on 12/28/2013

Michelle and Renee made my life so much easier. They left decisions up to me but otherwise they handled everything without questioning me 24/7. I got to focus on the more important details.

Sent on 02/15/2014

Anthony · Married on 08/17/2013

The wedding coordinator Michelle Vellon provided excellent service from the first time we began looking at different venues for the reception, the menu selection and the recommendations for music entertainment, photographer and transportation. She was very responsive and provided accurate and timely information throughout the process always with a smile on her face. The end result was a memorable wedding reception with delicious food and excellent service throughout the evening.

Thanks to Michelle and her staff for an excellent evening.

Sent on 10/13/2013