Historic Inns of Annapolis Reviews

Historic Inns of Annapolis 5
Historic Inns of Annapolis 6
Historic Inns of Annapolis 7

Liberty · Married on 07/04/2014

I just had my wedding and reception at The Historic Inns of Annapolis at The Governor Calvert House. This venue was absolutely perfect for our small wedding ceremony and reception (55 people in attendance). We had a Friday evening wedding and the cost was very affordable compared to other locations we considered. The venue itself is beautiful and requires very little extra decoration although we did decide to go with stringing some overhead lights. The food was fantastic (heavy hors d'oeuvres), the setting was gorgeous, and the event staff were so easy to work with. Overall, it was absolutely lovely. I would highly recommend it as a wedding and/or reception location.

I also have to mention that Michelle, the Events Coordinator, was responsive, flexible, professional and helpful. I enjoyed working with her. She made sure everything was organized. I did not have to worry about a thing. As a bride, that is invaluable.

The only difficulty I ran into had nothing to do with the event planning side of things. Rather it occurred in securing the room block and making sure the reservation process went smoothly for my guests. Everything worked out just fine but you may want to be sure you are clear about the terms and conditions up front (especially about the two night minimum on weekends). Make sure you get your questions answered upfront even if it takes a little extra leg work. Overall, with extra communication, it all worked out and they did work with me.

It is also important to note that several of my guests were unable to make it due to cancelled travel. The front desk/managerial staff were accommodating and understanding. They made an effort to work with me and my guests regarding cancelled reservations. In addition, they were extremely helpful the day of the event.

Again, I would highly recommend the Historic Inns of Annapolis as a venue.

Sent on 07/11/2014

Ashley · Married on 05/31/2014

First off, we looked at multiple venues in Annapolis. We live in North Carolina and my husbands family was from Annapolis. So I thought planning a wedding from out of state was going to be super stressful and difficult.

Michelle made my wedding planning SO easy. Talk about being on her game, she was awesome. Professional, caring, and a good resource for information. She was fast to respond to all emails and get my answers for any questions that myself or my family had during the planning.

This is THE prettiest venue in Annapolis. It needs the least amount of flowers to make the space stunning, because it already it.
    The prices per plate were actually reasonable as well. (about $95-100)
    I will forever be thankful to Michelle for making my wedding day and planning run so smoothly.

Sent on 06/30/2014

We held our wedding reception at Governor Calvert House in April, and it was everything we could have dreamed of, and more. My husband and I knew GCH was the venue for us during our first visit! We looked at each other and said, "this is the one!" The venue is in an amazing location in downtown Annapolis, and has the most wonderful classic atmosphere. Michelle is their coordinator, and she is the best! She is extremely responsive and organized; she was always exceeding our expectations. The rest of the staff is just as wonderful - every person we interacted with was so helpful and friendly. Our guests had a wonderful time, and the guests that stayed overnight had a great experience with the hotel as well. The food is so delicious! Our guests were raving about it, and the hors d'oeuvres in particular. Every part of the night was so amazing, and we were able to enjoy every minute of it because Michelle and the staff had everything under control. We highly recommend this venue! We wish we could do our wedding there all over again. :)

Sent on 06/21/2014
  • W

Wes · Married on 12/21/2013

10 out of 10 A+++. Michelle and her staff at the Governor Calvert House and historic inns of Annapolis are an exceptional crew that can accommodate any of your wedding needs. The staff was flexible and responsive, and we surely out them to the test, with a wedding of 200+ guests, and nearly all of their hotel rooms booked by our wedding guests. They ordered all custom tables, chairs, and place settings for our reception dinner, facilitated a decadent food tasting prior to the reception, and we're consummately flexibility to our every desire. During the weekend, we had full access to the facility and the resources of Michelle and her staff, and she truly goes above and beyond to make your wedding worry free. Would recommend again and again, and my only complain is that our reception seemed to go by too quickly as every detail was perfectly executed. -Ria and Wes

Sent on 01/05/2014

Betsy · Married on 11/16/2013

I just had my wedding at the the Governor Calvert House last month, and I cannot say enough positive things about the venue, and the wonderful Director, Michelle Vellon. Michelle was so detail oriented and patient and made every last small detail we requested happen, from linens, to string lights on the porch, to cocktail hour food, special drink requests, picture and chalkboard layouts. She made us feel like family, and we always loved visiting her to get ideas for the wedding. At the end of the day it was such a beautiful looking event with a special charming feel. Our guests said the food and drinks were wonderful (slider bar and risotto stations were a hit!) and they loved the Inn's coziness and apple cider! It was all that we could want and more, and we will definitely be back to visit, stay and would reccommend this venue to anyone looking for charm, delicious food and special touches!

Sent on 12/12/2013

Katie · Married on 09/07/2013

We had our wedding at the Calvert House on September 7, 2013, and it was absolutely perfect! It definitely helped that it was in the upper 70s and sunny, but I think it would have been great in less-than-perfect circumstances, too.

We had cocktail hour on the gorgeous back patio area, which everyone loved. For dinner, we chose the rockfish, chicken with white wine leek sauce, and the filet. During the tasting, my husband and I thought that the food was overcooked, and I felt the same way on the wedding day, but we got great feedback from our guests, so who knows. My husband and I didn't get to partake in the cocktail hour food, but the crab balls especially got rave reviews.

The dancing area was big enough to hold our 8-piece band, and I appreciated that the bars were in the same room as the dance floor so that people weren't taken away from the dancing when they wanted a drink. Our guests also appreciated that they could find quiet places to talk (the back patio or the dining room) if they didn't want to dance. So, the layout of the venue is really perfect.

Michelle deserves all the praise that she's received from the other reviewers. She's very helpful and responsive and did so much work to make our day special. For instance, we wanted to upgrade some of the alcohol and needed props for the reception decorations, and Michelle took care of everything. It's amazing that her services are included in the venue fee! What's nice about Michelle is that she puts on weddings at this venue ALL THE TIME. So, she knows what works best and doesn't have to get acquainted with the space. It makes for a seamless event.

I highly recommend the Calvert House for your wedding. It's a great value and a great location. You and your guests will love it!

Sent on 09/25/2013
  • Melissa

Melissa · Married on 07/27/2013

The staff are wonderful and the location is picturesque. The filet mignon and other dinner selections were perfectly prepared. Our guests truly enjoyed the weekend.

Sent on 09/24/2013

We just had our ceremony and reception at the Governor Calvert House at Historic Inns. It was everything we could have asked for and more. The atrium was absolutely beautiful. It made for a great backdrop of our ceremony and had plenty of space for dancing and cocktails. The food was great, I'd definitely suggest the crab crakes! Michelle was such a helpful coordinator. She worked with our every request and was quick to answer emails and phone calls. On the day of, she handled all of the details and made sure everything ran smoothly. The night went off without a hitch. Michelle, the catering staff and the valets were so kind and helpful, and our guests definitely noticed the hard work they put in. While I love this venue and would recommend it to anyone, my one reservation is with the room reservations. The majority of our guests were staying in the Inns, and we did have some trouble with some miscommunication - guests were falsely told our block was booked or there were two night minimums. They were very quick to correct any mistakes and were always very kind and apologetic. As with any hotel, I'd recommend staying on top of your room block and making sure you get the important details out to your guests yourself.

Sent on 04/04/2013

Bonnie · Married on 02/23/2013

My husband and I recently had our wedding at the Gov. Calvert House and it was spectacular. We knew the moment we walked in to the building that this was the venue for us. Truthfully I didn't expect to choose this venue, only because I did not think I wanted a historic site. Was i wrong! I had a couple other venues in Baltimore already in my head, but after seeing the atrium of the Calvert House, i was sold! It is a beautiful room and doesn't require a lot of decoration to be breathtaking. It was the best decision.
    Michelle, the event planner, is a joy to work with, as well as Tara from catering. Michelle is extremely responsive, not to mention friendly, and a true professional. She understood my vision and the day of the wedding, i was amazed at just how beautiful everything looked. She is there for every step of the planning and the day of. She ensures that everything goes smooth, she is a dream!
    Everyone at the hotel is extremely accommodating. If you don't like something, they will change it, no problem. They will make sure you get your dream wedding. Not only is Michelle fantastic, but so is the hotel manager. He made a point to understand exactly what we wanted and any issues we were having in the planning stage. Any issues were quickly resolved. The wait staff and bartenders are also fantastic. They moved things along swiftly and were so friendly with our guests.
    Also, for the bride, there is a nice big room in the back of the atrium to get ready the day of. It's really spacious and comfortable and has a nice huge bathroom with lots of mirrors.
    All in all, I highly recommend the Gov Calvert House. If I needed to plan another wedding, i would choose it all over again! The venue, the staff, the price, the location, everything is wonderful!!

Sent on 07/02/2013
  • Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane · Married on 02/14/2013

I hosted both my ceremony and reception at the Governor Calvert House. Michelle, their catering and event manager, is amazing and did such a wonderful job helping to make my wedding perfect. The food at the Calvert House is wonderful, and as someone who is gluten intolerant, they did a perfect job putting together a menu that I could eat (without scaring off guests!). There ceremony was beautiful and the coordination of the wedding itself was perfect. I couldn't be happier with my decision to host my event at the Governor Calvert House.

Sent on 02/26/2013

Amanda · Married on 02/09/2013

My husband and I were married 2/9/13 and it couldn't have turned out my perfect! I cannot not say enough good things about The Historical Inns of Annapolis and Michelle Vellon! They really do whatever they can to make sure that if you want something it happens. I was nervous about having to plan the wedding from another state (and me not being very good at things like this) and I can say having my reception there made it a lot less stressful. Michelle was very responsive and really did an amazing job of putting everything together. The venue is also just perfect. You really don't have to do too much as far as decorations becuase the place itself is such a unique space. Everyone that came to our wedding raved about the location and how great everything turned out. If you are not sure where to do your wedding/reception trust me just do it here and it will be amazing (and so much less stressful)

Sent on 03/21/2013

Randall · Married on 02/02/2013

"I never really understood the hype. Now I know why people get so excited about weddings." This comment from our friend summed up our wedding at the Governor Calvert House. We wanted something simple and fun; we got the most incredible weekend of our lives! And it was all so effortless, thanks to the professionalism and tenacity of our wedding liaison Michelle and her staff. After just one meeting, it seemed like Michelle knew us completely and moreover, knew everything we wanted. From the candlelight on the back patio, to the fried chicken and waffles, to our grand exit, Michelle and her team nailed it! We think about our wedding almost every day. And when we do, our only regret is that we can't do it again. We love the Calvert House! - Randy and Hadley Leonard

Sent on 03/07/2013

sue · Married on 01/19/2013

It was such a pleasure to work with Michelle. She handled every detail from our first meeting to the day of our wedding. She was always available to answer any questions that we had. We were so thrilled with how great our wedding was at The Maryland Inn. It was a dream come true thanks to Michelle and her wonderful staff...I would highly recommend having a wedding at The Historic Inns of Annapolis.... we want to do it all over again!!

Sincerely,

Eric & Susan Reichard

Sent on 03/25/2013

Kristen · Married on 01/09/2013

The Historic Inns of Annapolis is the ideal wedding venue. All my guests raved for days about how perfect the location, food, and service was! Michelle Vellon is amazing and very easy to work with- she will make your days run smoothly and exactly how you planned it!

Sent on 02/28/2013

Alyssa · Married on 12/08/2012

Beautiful venue, great value and extremely responsive, professional service in planning the wedding.

Sent on 03/27/2013

The Historic Inns of Annapolis (Governor Calvert House) was the ultimate venue for our wedding in Annapolis. We were having all of our guests come in from out of town and wanted a venue that could host our wedding and all of our guests along with providing our guests with a feel of Annapolis. We looked at the other hotels in downtown Annapolis and none could offer us the charming, historic feel of Annapolis until we visited the Governor Calvert House. The inside of this Historic Inn is just charming. The wedding reception takes place in the Atrium which provides such a cute historic feeling. There are hotel rooms that even overlook the Atrium. Talking about the hotel rooms - they also provide a cute, historic feel HOWEVER they also come furnished with new, soft, comfy beds and sheetings as well as flat screen televisions. We loved how they were updated yet historic!

Michelle Vellon (the wedding coordinator) is THE BEST!!! There is no question about it. She made the wedding planning process SIMPLE. She was extremely responsive throughout the entire process and kept us updated with what we needed to provide her. She will do anything to help make your day special. Words can not express how AMAZING she is.

Now lets talk about the food! We our foodies and wanted to make sure that we had great food at our wedding. We have been to many weddings where the food is okay. We actually took a gamble on the Historic Inns based on reviews and recommendations from people that have attended a wedding there in the past. When we went to the food tasting, we were certainly not disappointed! The food was AMAZING. Allison, the head chef, took time to meet with us - she is a great chef. She will also do anything for you. Our guests especially raved about the appetizers. I would strongly suggest that you try the crab cakes and beef wellington at your tasting. YUM!!!

Our wedding was everything that we hoped it would be and ALL of our guests had a wonderful time!

Sent on 09/09/2012

Erin · Married on 07/28/2012

My husband and I had our reception at Governor Calvert House on July 28, 2012. It was absolutely perfect! We worked with Michelle to set everything up, and she was so easy to work with. She always answered any questions we had prior to the wedding very quickly, and set everything for our reception up beautifully. The food for dinner was absolutely amazing, and a ton of our guests commented on it. Everyone on the staff was so friendly as well. They constantly checked throughout the night to see if we needed anything. We recommend the Historic Inns of Annapolis to anyone looking for a reception venue!

Sent on 08/01/2012

Very convenient spot for a reception if you're getting married at the US Naval Academy. I recommend the Crab Cakes.

Sent on 09/13/2012

Megan · Married on 06/09/2012

This venue is absolutely gorgeous and unique. We hosted a lot of out-of-town NYers, mostly from Long Island, who are used to big beautiful weddings! I can't even tell you how many people came up to me and said it was the most beautiful wedding venue they had ever seen.

We opted to have our ceremony on-site in the atrium of the Calvert House and it was perfect. I am thrilled we were able to give our out-of-town guests a real taste of Annapolis, for a surprisingly reasonable cost compared to some other venues in the area. There is a ton of space for the bridal party to get ready and relax, before and during the wedding. Our photos are amazing, most of them taken on the terrace or across the street at the State House. The food was EXCELLENT! (Get the lamb!) I was happy to have 3 entree options to offer our guests, as many venues in the area only offer 2.

Given our wedding size (120 guests) we only looked at the Calvert House so I can't speak for the other spaces offered by the Historic Inns of Annapolis, but do not judge this hotel by the outside. Once you walk inside you will be amazed at the space, character, and beauty of it!! I have lived in Annapolis and worked downtown for 8 years and never even knew this place existed.

Michelle is awesome and a pleasure to work with. She answers emails almost immediately and made everything seamless, easy, and stress-free! Very flexible to last-minute changes and really helpful beyond words.

I could not be happier that we chose to get married here!!!!

Sent on 06/22/2012
  • MSH

Maureen · Married on 04/27/2012

The staff at the Historic Inns of Annapolis was fantastic. They helped make sure the day went smoothly and everything was perfect. The food was terrific and we were able to relax and enjoy ourselves. They even helped us out the next night with a card table delivered to one of the rooms, so that some of the guests could play a few games. Michelle was delightful to work with and was very quick to respond to all of my emails and questions. I would definitely recommend the Historic Inns to future brides.

Sent on 04/30/2012

Andy · Married on 12/17/2011

We had our reception in the Duke of Gloucester Ballroom at The Maryland Inn. With just 26 total people at the wedding, we were able to have one large table for everyone for dinner. It added an intimacy and closeness that I have never experienced before. Add in the holiday decorations, the active fireplace, and a wonderful history and it was just an exceptional evening. The catering by the Treaty of Paris restaurant was excellent and having a menu for guests to choose from was a great option instead of worrying before hand about collecting RSVP choices. And the suite we had for two nights had a huge room for the bride to use to get ready and the privacy desired for a good night's sleep.

Sent on 01/17/2012

Heather · Married on 11/11/2011

We worked with Michelle Vellon, and she was fantasic about helping us keep on budget, meet our needs, and find the right balance of individuality and tradition. They were such a great all-in-one find, in beautiful downtown Annapolis. Since we had a small reception, we were at the Maryland Inn which was perfect for our 45 person reception. We also hosted our rehearsal dinner at the Treaty of Paris restaurant. We received so much positive feedback at both the reception and the rehearsal. We had to do very little the day of the wedding itself and the staff were professional, courteous, and responsive.

Sent on 11/15/2011

Avery · Married on 11/05/2011

Michelle at Historic Inns of Annapolis is amazing! She is on the ball and takes care of everything before you can even think to ask about it. She is the reason our wedding day ran as smoothly as it did. My only complaint is that during our wedding dinner, a banquet manager that I had never spoken with before came over to me and my husband and gave us attitude about a mistake in the dinner order. However, Michelle swooped in and remedied the situation right away. She is 100% trustworthy and I would hold another event there in a second.

Sent on 01/17/2012

Dan · Married on 10/01/2011

Erin and I had our reception at the Governor Calvert House after a beautiful ceremony at St Mary's on October 1st, 2011. Both venues, as well as our florist, the band, and the photographer exceeded ALL expections. All of our out of town family and guests were awed by the wonderful service and intimate character of the Governor Calvert House. The wedding coordinator from the Calvert House, Michelle Vellon, was extremely personable, accomodating, and always made herself available for us. Chef Allison prepared a wonderful spread for dinner, our guests were floored! I highly recommend a mashed potato bar, it was a big hit. The bartenders were prompt and took special care of the wedding party.

The staff was on the ball when it started raining and we had to move the stations inside, no one was any the wiser that anything was wrong; it was seamless. My West Coast family was extremely pleased and very impressed with the way everything was handled by Michelle, Allison, and their staff.

I would recommed the Governor Calvert House to anyone... btw, we were comp'd a room at the Maryland Inn and were extremely enthused with the size of the room and the view of the State Capitol building. After the party was an after party!

Sent on 10/06/2011

Valerie · Married on 07/16/2011

Historic Inns of Annapolis was a great wedding venue for our reception. We looked at many facilities around the Annapolis area, and quickly picked HIA/Governor Calvert House. Michelle was great to work with, very personable, responsive and organized. The food was great and the reception went off without any problems. One of my favorite things about the venue is that it has three seperate areas - which really accomodated different guests interests and facilitiated mingling, dancing and for those who wanted to hang outside. 90% of our guests stayed at the hotel, and loved it and it's great location. The front desk was easy to work with and helped to organized our room block, they were very accomodating to all of our guests. Made for a great weekend for everyone. Would def. recommend it to anyone else in the area looking for a wedding venue.

Sent on 07/29/2011