Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place Reviews

3 | Pittsburgh, PA

3 Reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place

I live outside of PA, so we chose to stay at HGI-University Place for our wedding and for our block of rooms for other guests. The hotel was beautiful and not very expensive, and the staff were extremely helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing a hotel for a wedding in town.

Sent on 09/20/2014

3.6
      3.5

We contracted a guest rate at the Hilton for our guest to stay within walking distance to our reception.

All of our guest said the service and rooms were very nice and clean. Very easy to get to and affordable.

Working with the staff has been a pleasure. They took care of all of the welcome bags and guests gifts for me. They made the process so easy for me and my guests.

Sent on 11/04/2014

Serena · Married on 06/02/2018

2.0
      2.0
      3.0
      3.0
      0.5
      1.5

This is a preliminary review based on interactions PRIOR to wedding date. Our guests have booked over 80 rooms. The Hilton seems to be overwhelmed or, at worst, outright deceptive to upsell you. They sound very inauthentic (where they tell you everything is going to be great without any evidence if it's true). For example, despite the number of rooms we have booked, which has given them nearly/over $10,000 total in a single weekend, they cannot guarantee early check in for any guests (or even for the "bridal" suite (which is not a bridal suite)). They offered a one night complimentary suite (which makes no sense for getting ready bc check in is 3 pm and check out is 12 pm). Instead, they "offered" for us to pay a non-refundable $800 breakfast deposit for an extra night in the suite (even though, I doubt a suite is $800). They told us the evening bar closed at midnight and that we would have to pay hundreds of dollars in extra fees if we wanted to keep it open (just as a cash bar) for our guests returning from the wedding. However, their website indicates the bar is open until 1 am and I had to point this out to them. They said they would provide updates on the number of bookings for our wedding guests as it "neared capacity" but instead of providing updates, they just increased the number of rooms while telling us that we were not near capacity. I'm not really sure to this day what they think "near capacity" means. When we ask to see which guests have booked, the list they give us looks different every time, with no standard format, making it really hard to understand. They said they can handle delivering our wedding gift bags, storing luggage, and confirmed they have the complimentary shuttle service amenity listed on their website, but honestly, I'm not so sure if it will work out day-of. So for brides: even if my day turns out great (fingers crossed), I just want you to know that leading up to the wedding, you will feel stressed if this is your main hotel!

Sent on 05/12/2018