Highline String Quartet Reviews

127 | New York, NY

127 Reviews for Highline String Quartet

As someone who has deep love, knowledge and appreciation for all musical genres, especially classical and jazz, it takes a lot to dazzle me. However, from the moment I came across the Highline Chamber Ensemble's website to hearing their musicians play I have been thoroughly impressed. Their proficiency in so many different genres is amazing and their musicians are very skilled. Until today, I continue to hear feedback from my wedding guests about how wonderfully our string quartet played during the ceremony and they performed very tough, classical repertoire. In addition, their costs are very fair considering how talented their musicians are. Ross, the director of the group, moved me beyond words when I first heard him play the violin. He is technically brilliant and plays with his heart. I highly recommend the Highline Chamber Ensemble if you want to hire musicians who are skillful and engaged.

Sent on 09/02/2015

Stephanie · Married on 06/06/2015

I was so happy with the Highline String Quartet! They made m ceremony SO special! They are super talented and professional! Ross was great to work with. Hands down one of the best decisions I made in regards to weddin vendors!

Sent on 06/11/2015

Joanna · Married on 04/26/2015

I was the wedding coordinator for the Bodenstein/Silver wedding held on April 26, 2015. The team at Highline String Quartet was professional, communicative and a pleasure to work with. I would highly recommend their services and look forward to working with them again in the future.

Sent on 04/30/2015

David · Married on 04/26/2015

Ross and the Highline Ensemble were great from the start. They have a wide repertoire of selections. They were very flexible and patient with us as we changed our music at least 5 times. We had many people come up to us after the event and tell us how great the music during the ceremony and cocktail hour were. They were a pleasure to work with and I would highly recommend them to anyone else looking for a string quartet for their wedding.

Sent on 05/20/2015

David · Married on 03/28/2015

The highline string quartet arrived timely, well dressed, and prepared with the perfect music for the occasion. I was recommended to use them by a friend who used them at a birthday party and they worked out just as well for my wedding! They worked well with wedding coordinator at the hotel with insurances and paperwork.

Sent on 04/10/2015

Laura · Married on 10/19/2014

We used the Highline String Quartet for our wedding at The Bryant Park Grill on 10/19/14. They were amazing! We were really happy with Ross and the rest of the group that he assembled for the night and our ceremony musics was exactly what we envisioned. And, I have to give the band kudos for bearing with us when the temperature dropped a bit that night - they were champs and powered through! I would highly recommend them for any event.

Sent on 08/03/2015

Kate · Married on 10/11/2014

Highline String Quartet played our wedding ceremony and cocktail hour. The quality of music was absolutely amazing, and the flexibility to accommodate song requests really made our experience unique and special. Even when the timing of cocktail hour shifted, they adapted without hesitation. We would most definitely hire them again!

Sent on 10/28/2014

Diane · Married on 10/11/2014

Highline Chamber Ensemble was an absolute delight to work with. For our cocktail hour we had a unique request and wanted musicians that could play modern music classically. In particular, we were looking for Pop, Rock , and EDM/Club music. Highline completely delivered on that request with a cellist and pianist. The music was fantastic, and the guests had fun guessing the songs. It was such a unique, yet traditional and fun way to entertain our guests.

Sent on 10/28/2014

Adam · Married on 09/28/2014

Not much I can say other than these guys were awesome. They were prompt, flexible and palyed beautifully. Also interesting to not the Joanna who runs the Yale Club wedding said they were a total joy to work with aand obviously she deals with a lot of vendors. Just go ahead, do yourself a favour and book them. You can cross it off your list and know that you are in the best possible hands

Sent on 10/06/2014

Jill · Married on 09/13/2014

I used Highline String Quartet for my wedding ceremony and cocktail hour. I was very impressed by their talent and musical range. For the ceremony, I needed more traditional songs and they offered up suggestions that were perfect. For the cocktail hour, they played contemporary music for which I received many compliments from my guests. They did a fantastic job and were a pleasure to work with. I would definitely recommend them for a wedding or any other social event.

Sent on 09/25/2014

David · Married on 09/12/2014

If you want amazing live music for your cocktail hour, look no further. We hired Highline String Quartet to play top 40 music at our cocktail hour and were blown away by the music they played. Our cocktail hour was on a rooftop in NYC, and the music provided the perfect backdrop for the day - a blend of elegance and "cool".

We were super excited from the minute we found Highline and they exceeded all of our expectations. In addition to playing amazing music, they were an absolute pleasure to work with. Ross was super responsive from start to finish. At one point, I realized that I accidentally wrote the wrong start time in an email and Ross immediately called me back from a Mets game to let me know not to worry at all. In the lead up to the wedding, I started listening to several famous quartets playing pop songs on youtube and my wife Karen started getting worried that I was maybe setting the bar too high. Well, Highline exceeded all of our expectations, played better arrangements and sounded better than the renditions I had listened too. It was definitely one of my favorite elements of the day and we got rave reviews from all of our guests, including several musicians.

If you are planning to have live music at your cocktail hour, Highline will definitely deliver.

Sent on 10/24/2014

Lisa · Married on 08/31/2014

I hired the Highline String Quartet for my wedding over Labor Day and loved working with them! I must have listened to samples from every string quartet in the NYC area (I spent years in orchestra, so I'm picky) and these guys were my favorite. Ross was very responsive over email and I was surprised their prices were competitive.

Leading up to the big day, everything went great. I wanted to perform a song with them as accompaniment, so we scheduled a rehearsal the week before. They printed out several different arrangements of my song, worked with me to change them to my liking, and all four of them together were able to follow my lead as well as a trained piano accompanist. I'm not a professional performer, so I was initially nervous about our rehearsal, but they were so easy going that I ended up having a great time.

On the day of our wedding, they showed up early. They even risked their instruments to sit upstairs for our ceremony on the roof that we squeezed between freak rain showers! During the cocktail hour, they played fun arrangements of contemporary music, impressing everyone from my opera-going grandmother to my non-musical friends.

I am not sure when I'll ever need a string quartet again (my next voice lesson maybe ... Tuesday evening at home while drinking wine perhaps?) but these guys would be it. They also work with a much larger group so if you need to hire a big ensemble or an unusual ensemble (several cellos for example) they can make it happen. They are consummate professionals and just plain nice. And, according to several of my younger wedding guests, good looking too. So there you go! Hire these guys!

Sent on 09/15/2014
  • User4124876 · event on: 05/14/2014

The Highline Chamber Ensemble 'played' our engagement on our 10th anniversary in Madison Square Park. They were on time (it was very specific), performed beautifully and made it the most amazing night.

Sent on 05/24/2014

A string quartet from the Highline Chamber Ensemble performed at my wedding at the New York Botanical Garden. Ross, the coordinator, was extremely responsive throughout the planning process. And the band consisted of accomplished, young musicians with an appreciation for both classical and modern/pop music. They sounded awesome!

FYI: Make sure you check your venue's policy regarding vendor insurance. HCE does not have a COI.

Sent on 05/19/2014

Robert · Married on 09/15/2007

Ross began by really listening to what we were trying to do. He guided us through potential options and then paired our wishes with some absolutely killer musicians and a "wow" vocalist. They created a special ambiance. As soon as our guests entered the room, they knew that this would be no ordinary birthday party! Thank you Highline.

Sent on 12/24/2016

Great option. Professional. Quick to respond. Flexible re our special requests. Great range of songs they can play. Recommend without reservation.

Sent on 10/10/2015
  • Y

Yuliana · Married on 07/05/2014

The true stars of our wedding. Ross and his team of musicians were excellent. We hired them to play before/during the ceremony and for the cocktail hour. We really wanted classical musicians who would play Fall Out Boy, and Florence and the Machine, etc. and these guys rocked it.

Guests thought it was very cool playing top 40 songs in a classical style - it was the perfect way to blend our love of fun rock music with our desire to have a "classy" wedding. Even older guests came up to us raving about how good they were.

Great price for a a string quartet, great musicians. Overall extremely happy we decided to hire them as it added that extra notch to our wedding day making it kind of edgy but classy at the same time.

Best part, was they knew which songs I specifically wanted to hear, so as soon as the leader saw me in the crowd, he made sure to play the songs I specifically requested!

Sent on 09/27/2014

Marikit N. · Married on 04/06/2019

Amazing & Professional musicians

Highline Quartet provided music during the ceremony and cocktail hour. They are professionals and need no coordination. Ross provided us with a long list of varied music choices from classic to modern to movie/TV themes and they took it from there. Quick turn-around and Ross provided options for an intimate gathering and made it affordable. We love it and our family/friends love them. Highly recommended!

Sent on 04/14/2019
  • Ana D.

N/A · Married on 09/22/2018

We hired Highline for our ceremony only. As the bride I only got to her the entrance and recessional songs. Sounded lovely.

Sent on 10/06/2018

Erica · Married on 02/04/2017

The Highline Quartet was fantastic and the perfect addition to our wedding ceremony. They have such a diverse range of songs that they can play, which suits anyone's taste, they're very professional and flexible in terms of timing, setup, discussing song options, etc. Our ceremony wouldn't have been complete without them!

Sent on 02/10/2017

Ava · Married on 09/29/2016

Highly recommended! Ross and his team played beautifully, our guests didn't want them to leave! They were very hands on with our event's specific playlist. Hope to work with them again soon!

Sent on 10/19/2016

I hired the Highline String Quartet to play music when I proposed to my fiance. Ross and his team played 3 songs during and after the proposal and it made a really special and amazing moment even better. Would highly recommend for anyone who wants amazing instrumental pop music.

Sent on 02/19/2015

Elizabeth · Married on 06/16/2017

Loved working with Ross and Highline. Highline was even willing to learn our favorite Bon Iver song to play during the ceremony! Price was a little high but commensurate with other quartets in the tri-state area.

Sent on 07/10/2017

Johanna · Married on 05/28/2017

3.5

We booked Highline as a trio for our wedding ceremony two weeks before the date, after our original ceremony musicians backed out. Their sample recordings sounded great and they had an extensive song list with both pop/rock and classical options, which is what we were looking for. Ross was extremely responsive and it was such a relief to find Highline at the last minute -- crisis averted. They did a wonderful job and I'm glad we chose them!

Sent on 06/18/2017

Lauren · Married on 10/18/2014

3.5

My husband and I were searching for a string quartet for our ceremony and cocktail hour and couldn’t have been more thrilled with the Highline String Quartet.

We wanted to find local vendors within our neighborhood in Manhattan (where we were also getting married) and were so happy to find the HSQ. We worked with Ross to discuss services/pricing and he was flexible with pricing to meet our needs (four hours total for ceremony + cocktail hour).
    The quartet has a long list of songs to choose from and they agreed to learn up to two new songs at no extra charge, which was so appreciated because the song my husband walked down the isle to wasn’t in their existing repertoire.

The quartet played all of our ceremony songs to our liking and did a wonderful job at the cocktail hour as well; after the wedding, many guests told us that they were so impressed by the quartet.

Sent on 07/07/2015