17 Reviews for Helen Don Photography

Digital Files (2)
High-Res Images (1)
Liability Insurance (1)
Multi. Locations (1)

Helen photographed our wedding last fall in Bethesda. It was my first experience being photographed professionally, besides a headshot for work, but she made me feel at ease and took a ton of shots with natural looking poses. She and her second photographer were very friendly and easy to work with, and provided so many beautiful photos to choose from, both formal and candid ones of our guests having a blast. We got married in a large church in DC with an ornate decorated interior, and I love the photos she captured of the vaulted ceilings from interesting angles. We also had several children at our wedding, both in the wedding party and as guests, and she captured some of their best and most adorable moments. Would recommend in a heartbeat!

Profile Picture Meaghan , 10/15/16, 6 Reviews
Category: Photography

Helen shot our wedding in October of 2016. We had a couple phone calls with her and spent a lot of time emailing back and forth to make sure we were all on the same page. She also set up a brief engagement photo session for us and the pictures came out fantastic. When we saw them, we knew we picked the right photographer to capture our wedding. The wedding photos she shot were terrific and captured a lot of our special moments... and those moment we also didn't know about. Lots of creative, funny, romantic, and unique shots. Helen worked with us to create a package that was perfect for us and we can't be more thankful. One last thing... when the caterer failed and didn't do what they were supposed to do for our Cake Cutting Ceremony, Helen and her assistant stepped up and helped us the best they could so that we could capture that moment the way intended. Thank you Helen! We love our photos!!!

Profile Picture Kris, 10/8/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Photography

loved, loved, loved Helen! We booked her for our wedding and engagement pictures. She was so nice and relaxing and made us feel at ease in front of the camera. During our wedding, family can put a strain and become fairly hectic with all the pictures they want. Helen couldn't have been nicer! She was superb to deal with and even my mom commented how well she handled my mother-in-law. All of our photos were breathtaking and it was hard selecting one for our album. I loved the modern touch and lightness to our photos. Would highly recommend!

Profile Picture User6841960, 2+ years ago, 8 Reviews
Category: Photography
Services Used: Albums, Digital Files, Second Shooter, Additional Hours, Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Liability Insurance

When I got engaged in June of 2014, the first thing I starting booking appointments for was a venue and a photographer. Let’s face it – D.C. is a crazy market and I knew I needed to book someone right away. Your photographer will pose you, snap pictures of your most intimate moments, and capture the memories you’ll keep for a lifetime! After looking through reviews, chatting with friends, and receiving a lot of suggestions I started talking to a few photographers. After all things considered, Helen John Photography stacked up to all of things I was looking for in a wedding photographer. And if you can’t tell by now, I am a thorough investigator. She’s got it all, folks.

There’s a lot I could say to tell you about Helen, but let me hit the high points. Helen is a great photographer. I’m sure she could tell you a more technical description of her style, but I find it mixed between candid and traditional, fresh, full of light, realistic, and magical all at the same time. She’s got an eye for what works and what doesn’t and you’ll see that in your photos. OK, but what else?

Helen is the type of person you think you’ve known for your whole life. This actually matters, though, because you do not want to look uncomfortable in your wedding photos. She’s so easy to be around you almost forget you are taking photos and then voilà! You get the type of shots you truly treasure. Helen will also do the best she can to capture the perfect moment – and this not something everyone will do. I am so grateful Helen John Photography was with us in the morning while we were getting ready, to when my husband and I hopped in our car at the end of the night. Our Helen John Photography team didn’t miss a beat.

My best advice for brides is to talk to a few photographers, look through their portfolios, and then meet them in-person. For me Helen was one of the best decisions I made on my wedding day. Book her if you can and thank yourself later when you get your wedding album!

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 6/13/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Photography
Services Used: Second Shooter, Additional Hours, Engagement Shoot, Multi. Locations, Albums, Digital Files

She responded immediately to my inquiry and understood immediately what I needed! She was very professional and punctual. The service was amazing, photos very professional and perfect. I received way more pictures than I imagined, all edited, in a very timely manner. I would recommend her to anyone!

Profile Picture Brooke, 7/20/14, 1 Review
Category: Photography

Helen John is the ultimate professional. She is so talented and our wedding and reception was photographed so beautifully. It is truly priceless. Thank you again, Helen!

Profile Picture User4371107, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Photography

Helen was amazing from the beginning. She was familiar with our wedding venue and had shot there numerous times, giving us the ability to gain great photos without taking too much time away from our guests. Helen not only captured that moment in time but the pure emotions of happiness, love, joy, and excitement of our family and friends which were there to support our wedding. It was a pleasure knowing that; on a day with so much preparation and so much anxiety there was never a worry or second thought is the photographer capturing all the right moments; Helen was there and got them ALL! Sergio and I were blown away with the final outcome of the photos, and we plan on using and referring Helen John whenever we are in need of a professional photographer.

Profile Picture Trey, 5/17/14, 1 Review
Category: Photography

Helen was amazing from my first email. Planning a wedding from the Middle East was very challenging and Helen made choosing my photographer so easy. She emailed me right back, she was warm and friendly and after our first conversation I knew she would be perfect for our wedding. The first time we met in person was at my wedding and I felt like she was one of my guests. My pictures were amazing and my only problem is trying to decide what images to print. Would recommend Helen to anyone. My husband even said I was right in choosing her :-)

Profile Picture Bonnie, 5/10/14, 1 Review
Category: Photography

My wife and I are both from Ohio and planned on marrying in Maryland after she graduated from AIT. We were both worried and stressed about planning a wedding long distance and Helen helped make that process so much easier. She was always quick to respond to any questions or concerns we had and was very flexible as we tried to plan out the logistics of the rest of the trip since my wife and I would be travelling separately from two different states to get to the wedding.
We cannot express enough gratitude towards Helen for the kindness she showed us as well as extreme professionalism. The day of the wedding, Helen was at the venue before us and ready to go! She even surprised me with a homemade bouquet since she knew we were on a budget and wouldn't be having any flowers. Somehow after just exchanging emails and a phone call she was able to pick out the perfect flowers that I would have picked myself which just stands as proof of her amazing attention to detail. There was even a moment where it did not seem like the minister was even going to show. Instead of panicking like I was beginning to, Helen made the best out of a bad situation and reassured us that no matter what we were going to take some beautiful pictures and have an amazing day, reminding us of all the positives we had to celebrate that day. Luckily the minister did show up and we were able to have the small and simple wedding we had hoped for.
We got married outside at a local park across the street from the courthouse, just my wife and I along with the minister, Helen, and Rob. After the ceremony, they took us to the Glenview Mansion gardens for the majority of our photographs. She even surprised us with a small bottle of champagne to celebrate.
Helen truly helped make our day more memorable than we thought possible and we would recommend anyone to use her services in a heartbeat. Thank you again, Helen, for helping make our day so special and helping us preserve so many memories!

Profile Picture Caitlin, 4/12/14, 1 Review
Category: Photography

Helen did such an amazing job capturing our wedding at the United States Navel Academy! Every smile, tear, and kiss we are able to view forever. Helen was kind, professional, friendly and put us at ease on the biggest day of our lives. We would highly recommend Helen for any event and look forward to using her in the future. We will forever cherish the moments that she photographed!

Profile Picture Megan, 2/8/14, 1 Review
Category: Photography

Helen is an amazing person to work with. Not only is she friendly, honest, funny, and professional, but she is an incredibly talented photographer. We used Helen for our engagement pictures and for our September 1st, 2013 wedding at Kentlands Mansion in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Both sets of pictures turned out beautifully and she was a real joy to work with. She gave us a great deal on engagement pictures after we booked her for our wedding at an incredibly reasonable price. I did a lot of shopping around and she was one of the most competitively priced photographers in the DC area. After meeting with her, I knew that we would hire her because she put me so at ease with her personality and her portfolio. We were able to customize one of her standard packages based on our budget and the amount of time we needed her for on our wedding day. Score!
On the day of the wedding, I was a nervous wreck and Helen was incredibly patient, kind, and organized. Her awesome skills made it look like I had it all together even when I was a sweaty, hot mess! She adapted very well to our very non-traditional ceremony, reception, and after-party. Our wedding was outside and it was so stinking hot! My husband and I are one of those couples that don't really enjoy getting our picture taken but Helen was able to move us from shot to shot painlessly so that we were done with the structured shots in no time and were able to return to the party and enjoy our guests and each other. The photos turned out beautifully and she also was able to capture a lot of really great candid moments throughout the day.
Helen went above and beyond what was required of her in terms of the quantity of great photos that she delivered. We did not order any albums or prints but received over 1200 digital images when only 500-600 were required in our contract. Talk about bang for your buck!!
We cannot say enough good things about Helen and of all of our wedding vendors, she was the best! :]

Profile Picture Rihana, 9/1/13, 2 Reviews
Category: Photography

My wife and I can't say enough about Helen John's photos. First off, I'll be candid to say that the photographer was a second or even third-tier priority of ours. We were much more focused on venue, food, and music. When we saw how well the pictures turned out, however, we realized how truly important it was to have a great photographer. Neither the venue, nor the music, nor the food brought tears to anyone's eyes. Helen's pictures did.

Her attention to our needs and the timing of our photos was impeccable. We had an outdoor wedding and her expertise on when to capture the best light made some of our pictures look like something out of a magazine. Indeed, one of her pictures of us WAS selected to be in Glamour magazine and several other news outlets, as we are a same-sex couple and the timing of our wedding coincided with news coverage about same-sex marriage. Helen was a true pleasure to meet and work with, and I can't recommend her enough.

Profile Picture J, 3/30/13, 7 Reviews
Category: Photography

Helen was amazing to work with. She completely saw our vision and made it a reality. She was up on table tops taking the hardest shots and didnt take a break all night! We are so happy to have her beautiful images forever!!

Profile Picture Julie, 1/20/13, 1 Review
Category: Photography

Helen is an absolute pleasure to work with! She knows what she is doing, and she is personable and sweet! She makes picture taking enjoyable and fun... and the results are breathtaking! Im so happy we found her. She was so accommodating to our requests and flexible to work with. I would recommend her to anyone and I will definitely use her in the future for family photo shoots and any other events we may have!

Profile Picture Raquel and Vincent, 10/20/12, 2 Reviews
Category: Photography

Helen is not only extremely talented, but has a warm and light heart. She is calming and reassuring during the most stressful times. In a total panic about my hair & veil on my wedding day, she jumped right in to help & because of her impeccable eye for style, she knew just what to do with my veil.

Profile Picture Laura, 8/11/12, 1 Review
Category: Photography

I do not know what to say except - THANK YOU! I wanted a photographer who would take candid and unusal photos at our wedding, we did not want to spend hours standing around getting 'posed photos' so we asked Helen to take many photos at the cocktail hour (before the ceremony) so that we had pictures of people looking their best. We have a few sneak peak photos that are amazing, we can't wait to see them all.

Profile Picture Mary, 6/23/12, 5 Reviews
Category: Photography

Helen did such an amazing job on Saturday. I was so lucky to have her as part of our wedding. She's professional, responsible, responsive and the quality of service was out of this world. I would recommend her to anyone for any future event (just check out our photos, they are amazing!). Thanks again Helen for doing such a great job.

Profile Picture Melissa, 2/18/12, 3 Reviews