Heather Ryan Photography Reviews

62 | Bowie, MD

62 Reviews for Heather Ryan Photography

Kathryn · Married on 06/10/2017

We absolutely loved working with Heather! Friends ours had worked with Heather before so she came very highly recommended. After our first conversation with could tell how friendly, professional and organized Heather is. This was especially helpful in the weeks leading up to the wedding. Heather gave great input on our shot sheet so we could be as organized as possible, particularly with our formal family portraits. On our wedding day she did not disappoint. Heather made us, our bridal party, friends and family feel completely at ease. Heather also completely understood the types of photos and aesthetic we wanted, and she totally captured it. We are so grateful to Heather for providing such beautiful photos of our wonderful day that we will treasure forever!

Sent on 06/22/2017

Caitlin · Married on 05/28/2017

Heather did an awesome job both for our wedding and engagement shoot. She had an awesome idea for a particular shot that we ended up using for our save the date and recreating at the wedding. We had a couple of requests for our wedding pictures and she made sure to get them all. We were running a bit behind schedule the day of the wedding, but she was able to get our pictures done quickly without sacrificing anything! I would highly recommend her!!

Sent on 12/28/2017

Jessica · Married on 05/06/2017

We absolutely LOVED working with Heather Ryan. At our initial meeting, her friendliness and confidence quickly put us at ease as she answered all our questions and more. We booked her the next day, opting for the basic package of 6 hours of coverage plus a 1-hour engagement shoot.
    We scheduled the e-shoot for a brisk October morning at Patapsco Valley State Park and Heather was thrilled when we asked to bring our dog Atlas along (She LOVES dogs!). That morning, we got there an hour before it opened (oops, they had just gone to off-season hours) so we grabbed coffee nearby. It actually worked out well: We got to know each other better, so we were more comfortable in front of the camera! Despite this delay, Heather didn't rush us one bit. In two weeks, we received more than 200 beautiful photos.
    Before the wedding, Heather was always available by email and sent us a questionnaire to make sure we covered all our bases. On our wedding day, Heather arrived early (even before we did) and she was definitely a calming presence. She did an excellent job keeping us on schedule during our First Look photos and our portraits, and got some amazing shots of us with Atlas (our ring bearer!). It started raining after our ceremony so she worked quickly through the family photos to keep everyone as dry (and happy) as possible. During the cocktail hour and reception she captured our guests candidly and was also ready to take group shots whenever anyone pulled her over (this happened a lot with our ridiculous group!). When the sun (FINALLY) came out after dinner she grabbed us to make sure we capitalized on the gorgeous Golden Hour light.
    Less than a week later she had already sent us hundreds (!!) of photos as a preview. We can't wait until we get the final delivery in a few more weeks! I can't recommend Heather strongly enough. Her work speaks for itself but she was amazing to work with every step of the way. I can't wait for the chance to hire her again for a portrait session!

Sent on 05/29/2017

Jennifer · Married on 04/22/2017

There are so many great things to say about Heather Ryan Photography, where do I even begin? When we got engaged, Heather Ryan was the first vendor we booked! We met her at a friend’s wedding and fell in love with not only her timeless photography skills but also her fantastic personality. From the first meeting she made us feel so comfortable and she genuinely wanted to capture our day in a way that would be special to us. While posing for photos can be a bit awkward for those of us who are typically less photogenic (myself) she made it fun and stress free. From our engagement session to our wedding day, she truly felt like more of the family and wedding party than just another vendor running around. Even our parents were raving about how great a job she did during the event.

Afterwards, she had photos for us ready in such a timely fashion! She finished a small batch of some of the highlights within about a week, so we had something to look at and share with friends and the rest were finished not long after. I’ve had friends who have waited several months for any of their photos, and with Heather that is simply not the case. The quality of the pictures is phenomenal and she is truly a professional both in skill level and in assurance of a good product. We chose her because she has a classic but natural style. I love the black and white photos personally, but the quality of the color photos is also phenomenal. Her photographs are timeless and capture the essence of the moment.

She is charming and friendly without being overbearing. I would highly recommend her for anyone both for portrait photography as well as weddings! She is above and beyond what you want in a photographer.

Sent on 12/30/2017

Katie · Married on 12/10/2016

WOW. One of the best decisions we made throughout the entire wedding planning process was putting our photography needs in Heather's hands! From start to finish she was a class act - displaying true professionalism and talent. Heather was responsive and made us feel completely comfortable along the way. She is such a kind, genuine person and so much fun to work with. The day of the wedding she arrived on time and ready to go! Her creative eye captured images that truly reflected the entire feel for the day. Our wedding was in December and she worked with us to ensure we had enough daylight to get the photos we wanted.

Our guests are still raving about our wedding photos and I've already had two friends book Heather as a result of them. I am so grateful we found her as we will cherish her work for the rest of our lives.

Thank you Heather!

Sent on 01/03/2017

Heidi · Married on 11/05/2016

Heather was amazing! When picking a photographer, my number one criteria was finding someone who I was comfortable with - And Heather exceeded all expectations. She has such a great personality and is easy to work with. As far as her photos go, you can see for yourself that she knows her stuff!!

When booking a photographer, I emailed back and forth with a number of photographers and met with a few in person. As soon as we met with Heather, the search was done.

A tid bit of advice - Get the Engagement Photos! We originally didn't think we needed any - But I'm so thankful we got them with our package. We got to know Heather and kind of prepare for how to pose, and what it's like to be in front of the camera before the Big Day. I loved our photos, and we had fun that day! I ended up using the photos to make a guest book.

On the actual wedding day, I couldn't have asked for a better photographer. I was so nervous before the wedding (along with my entire family and bridal party), but Heather was calm and friendly the whole time. She helped to keep everything on track. I made a list of photos I wanted for Heather (her idea), and no matter how crazy or hectic parts of the day got, she managed to get every single photo I wanted (and more).

I'd recommend her to anyone!!!

Sent on 12/29/2016

Karly · Married on 10/08/2016

Heather was absolutely wonderful. She listened from start to finish and gave us so much helpful advice along the way. We had a lot of large groups and odd combinations, and she wasn't phased a bit!

Heather was easy-going, friendly and sweet--truly the best vendor we worked with on our wedding. And did I mention her photos are beautiful? We just love them. I can't recommend her enough! (Her prices are totally reasonable too.)

Sent on 11/01/2016

Kelly · Married on 10/01/2016

We are SO happy we chose Heather to capture our big day. From the initial meeting, to the engagement session, planning before the wedding, emails between, and the big day itself she was fantastic. She was helpful in preparing a list of photos we wanted on the wedding day to maximize our time, and really worked hard to ensure they were all taken. She arrived early to scope out the area, and did a great job of making sure all the details were photographed. She even did some fun spur of the moment whole group shots during the reception that we are so grateful for. Her friendliness, professionalism, and quality of service exceeded our expectations. You can't go wrong with hiring Heather to capture the memories of your day.

Sent on 12/06/2016

Kelly · Married on 09/17/2016

My husband and I felt so lucky to have stumbled upon Heather's website when searching for a photographer for our engagement photos and wedding in 2016. After viewing the beautiful work posted on her website and blog, Brandon and I knew she was not only talented but also reasonably priced! I could not have been happier with the way Heather made us feel so comfortable during the process and the end result of our photographs were beyond beautiful! In fact, my mom, who has photographed a few weddings herself, has not stopped exclaiming what a wonderful job Heather did on both our engagement shoot and wedding photos! Heather has a great rating on Wedding Wire for good reason and I would HIGHLY recommend her to other brides in the area! Thanks again Heather!

Sent on 12/26/2016

Lauren · Married on 07/16/2016

Heather is perfection, stop your wedding photographer search right here! There aren't enough superlatives and accolades to describe what an incredible professional she is. Heather has the perfect personality to be a wedding photographer, immediately putting everybody at ease, and making us comfortable in front of the camera (which is actually a feat for us). She's stealthy with her shots, you barely notice she's there during the reception. Most importantly, her pictures turn out amazing! Going into our engagement shoot, our only goals was to not look super awkward in pictures, but when we got the photos back we had a difficult time choosing which photos were the best. We are both normal looking people, but Heather made us look amazing! Because we didn't do a "first look" before the wedding, we had about an hour to get all the group & family pictures in. Heather was able to get everything done efficiently and the pictures turned out perfect! Going with Heather was one of our best wedding decisions and definitely worth the splurge! My only disappointment is that Heather isn't there in my daily life to make me look so much more photogenic.

Sent on 12/29/2016

Christine · Married on 06/24/2016

I would HIGHLY recommend Heather Ryan Photography. She is detail oriented, organized, and professional. She is very easy to get along with and made my husband and I feel comfortable from the beginning. She shot our both our engagement and wedding photos and we were extremely happy with the results.

Sent on 12/11/2016

Laura · Married on 06/18/2016

My advice for couples looking for a wedding photographer would be to BOOK HEATHER RYAN! Let's face it, wedding photographers are expensive, so you want to make sure you're getting the most for your money and the best quality pictures you can. I was also interested in having two photographers for the big day to get multiple angles of different big events. Heather took care of hiring a second photographer who met her quality standards, and it couldn't have been easier. I also looked at the quality of her photos and wanted to make sure that I could get clear, non-blurry pictures even once the lights went down on the dance floor. Darker dance floor pictures from other photographers I'd seen were blurry or had the dj's neon lights stringing through them. Heather assured me that she had the tools to take excellent and clear pictures even once the lights turned down, and she definitely delivered. The dance floor pics from our wedding are some of the absolute best ones! We also liked Heather's prices, and she offered us several different package options to choose from. (Adding a second photographer was an additional fixed hourly rate, regardless of who she ended up hiring). We ended up choosing a package that included an engagement shoot, even though we weren't planning to. To make it more "our style" we asked Heather if it would be ok to bring our dogs to the shoot and get some "family" shots also, and she wholeheartedly agreed. Despite the fact that we were not really excited about doing the engagement shoot, we ended up LOVING the pictures. Literally just last night, my husband was saying they are by far some of the best pictures of us, and he chose a "family" shot with the dogs to send out with our Christmas cards this year. As a result, we started recommending Heather to our friends even before the wedding, and several have booked her. I could go on and on here, but suffice it to say, when its time to take pics of our kids, I'll be calling Heather Ryan.

Sent on 12/06/2016

Stephanie · Married on 06/11/2016

Can I give more than five stars on all the things? Heather is an absolute sweetheart and such a talent!! We had another photographer booked a year in advance for our June 2016 wedding and found out that January that she was pregnant and due on our wedding date! Eeep! My sisters photographer recommended Heather, who had been a second shooter for a few of her weddings. I contacted her, praying she'd somehow be available and coincidentally, it was the only June date she had open. It was meant to be!

Did I mention we were planning our Delaware wedding from California? Since we couldn't meet with Heather in person, we skyped her to chat about our relationship and our wedding plans. We instantly got along so well! We weren't able to get back to Maryland for an engagement session with her, so we scheduled a pre-wedding session for a few days before the wedding to make sure the day of went smoothly. She made us both feel so comfortable during the session and it felt more like hanging out with an old friend than being photographed!

Our wedding day couldn't have been more perfect and having Heather there to hang out with us and capture all the amazing moments was incredible. Every single photo she took was breathtaking. Thank you a thousand times over, Heather. Not only do we have fantastic photos to remind us of our beautiful day, we have the amazing memories of the time we got to spend with you! Can't wait until our next family milestone that we can have you photograph! :)

Sent on 01/01/2017

Charlotte · Married on 04/17/2016

Heather is incredibly personal, willing to work with you, and infectiously joyful, which is an excellent combination in a wedding photographer. She was the photographer for my brother's wedding, and we knew we wanted to have her for ours as well.

Sent on 12/26/2016

K. · Married on 03/18/2016

Heather is absolutely amazing!!!! First, anyone looking for a photographer I highly.. HIGHLY recommend Heather Ryan Photography. Heather interaction from start to finish with my wife and I throughout our wedding/engagement process was outstanding. The quality of her photos, her personality, her flexibility, her response time, and her skills as an overall photographer is just outstanding. I love when I can see someones passion in their work and Heather makes every portrait shine. See captured so many great photos during our engagement session, wedding and reception that it's so hard to choose my favorite photos but I definitely choose Heather as my favorite photographer. If you read this Heather, I truly want to say thank you again, you are a great photographer and a great person... "5 Star Photographer"

Sent on 12/18/2016

Loren · Married on 10/03/2015

Best decision we could have made! Heather Ryan is not only the best photographer I have ever met but, she is also so easy to reach and incredibly friendly. Right from the start she was so easy to communicate with! We were not close in distance so set up a meeting via Skype and my husband and I knew right away we wanted to book her for our big day. We were paying for the wedding ourselves and knew that out of all the vendors, the photographer was one of the most important ones and it just so happened that we found Heather and she is very affordable and fantastic.
    The weekend of our wedding there was a huge tropical storm and since our wedding was in OC Maryland, and planned to be outside we had to have a few back up plans but none of this phased Heather for even a minute! She still managed to get absolutely stunning photos of the area we were suppose to get married and then several of the new location. A few of our favorite photos are some where she took us outside into the storm with umbrellas and rain boots!! I can't wait to use Heather again in the future!

Sent on 12/25/2015

Sarah · Married on 09/26/2015

I can not recommend Heather enough to prospective clients. She was an absolute dream to work with and the quality of her photographs are astounding. Heather was extremely personable, relaxed, and funny - three characteristics that I needed to have around me on our wedding day. Heather made sure that we got the photographs that we wanted as well as making sure that we enjoyed ourselves during the whole event. Our guests and family rave about how beautiful the photographs turned out and I can't agree more - we are having difficulty which ones to choose to display. Heather is an untapped resource in the greater Washington, D.C. area and her prices are beyond reasonable for this area. I can not express how great she was and I will be using her for future needs :-)

Priyanka · Married on 09/20/2015

Words cannot explain how amazing and talented Heather is. My husband and I do not do well with photos together. He hates getting his picture taken, and I can never take the most flattering pictures either. However, Heather made everything so easy and comfortable for us during our engagement shoot and our wedding day. And even better, they came out beautifully. So many people said our engagement photos looked so romantic and natural, which is amazing considering we felt ridiculous holding our poses out in public. We had so fun on our engagement shoot. My husband's main priority on our wedding (besides marrying me) was the food. He wanted our photos to be taken quick, and Heather did a wonderful job making that happen. We got a library of photos, and my husband got to eat as much as he wanted!

Pricing was reasonable. Most professional studios were requesting our first born just for a basic 8 hour wedding day shoot with engagement photo session. Heather, who is a one person team did not even come close to that price range and her photos came out just as well if not better than the other high-end professionals.

She is so sweet and so perfect! I will definitely call Heather Ryan Photography again for our future family photos!

Sent on 12/17/2015

Mimi · Married on 09/12/2015

Heather did an amazing job as our wedding photographer. She took over 800 pictures and we hardly knew she was there. Great photos of not just the bride and groom but also our guests. Heather is professional and friendly. I have and would continue to recommend her as a photographer.

Sent on 12/20/2015

Sara · Married on 06/27/2015

We used Heather Ryan Photography for our engagement and wedding photos. Heather was friendly, very easy to work with, and very responsive to emails. She put us at ease throughout the entire process. Her directions were always easy to follow and her suggestions for photos helped us get truly beautiful shots. On our wedding day it absolutely poured rain but Heather showed up right on time despite being a little damp, and adjusted the plan for bridal portraits accordingly with no difficulty. During the ceremony she was unobtrusive and took great photos. She managed to get photos of almost every single person in attendance at the wedding. Heather's photos are a great balance between the classic wedding photos and creative candids. Our photos really tell the story of the day and will be a beautiful collection to revisit in years to come.

Sent on 12/27/2015

Heather is an absolutely amazing photographer. She is incredibly friendly and knows how to make you relaxed and put you at ease. I have been in several weddings and she is by far my favorite photographer. We have had lots of people ask us who our photographer was, and everyone is shocked when they hear how affordable she is. I was nervous about having only one photographer for my wedding, but somehow it seemed like Heather was everywhere at once and I don't think any moments or angles were missed. She is extremely prompt and professional and most importantly the pictures came out beautifully!

Sent on 08/04/2015

Ana · Married on 05/22/2015

Heather is super talented, extremely professional, and beyond invested in capturing your special day. The engagement session that was included was also a great bonus to chronicle everything.

Kesha · Married on 05/08/2015

Words can't begin to express how much we just love Heather and all her work! She was amazing from start to finish. My husband David and I got married at Top of the Town in Arlington, VA and from the very beginning of meeting Heather we knew she was the perfect match to capture our special day. We were a bit nervous at first because we didn't get the opportunity to meet her in person at first since we live in another state. However from the moment she arrived she was amazing and blended right into our family. Our pictures came out amazing and I wouldn't change a thing!!!

Sent on 07/07/2015

John · Married on 04/24/2015

Heather did a wonderful job photographing my wife and my wedding. She was on time, organized, and fulfilled all of our needs and then some. Her flexibility and having an eye for the perfect photos are her biggest strengths in my opinion. I would, and have, recommended her for any occasion that you would like photographed.

Elizabeth · Married on 04/24/2015

Heather is amazing. She took our engagement photos as well as our wedding photos. She is patient and accomodating, no matter what the situation. It was chilly on our wedding day plus we have small children and she managed to get shots of everybody and we constantly receive compliments on all of our wonderful photos. If you are looking for an AWESOME photographer, Heather is the way to go! :)