H & J Hospitality Reviews

H & J Hospitality 4
H & J Hospitality 5
H & J Hospitality 6
H & J Hospitality 7

We had a great experience with Dustin at H&J. We are from out of town so he was very flexible with planning over email and phone. Because we got married at a park with no event coordinator etc, we were responsible for setting everything up. Dustin went above and beyond helping us set up and acting almost as our event coordinator. The food was excellent, all our guests had great things to say about it.

Sent on 12/29/2013

Katrina · Married on 08/10/2013

Dustin was incredibly helpful throughout all of our planning process, and had tons of ideas regarding set up and order of events for the evening. The catering staff itself on our wedding day were incredibly friendly, and provided prime service. The food was DELICIOUS - I highly recommend the Pecan Chicken and the Gouda Mac and Cheese (Seriously, best choice ever!). They were incredibly accommodating and even set up our cupcakes we had delivered from Purity on our cupcake stand.

Sent on 08/20/2013

Caitrin · Married on 10/20/2012

Adrienne and h&j hospitality was AMAZING to work with. She was knowledgable and organized. On the day of the wedding she was there with a smiling face and setting things up. I didn't have to worry at all. I would definitely recommend their services again. Food was great too!

Sent on 11/06/2012

Ryan · Married on 10/13/2012

Adrienne was the catering coordinator for our wedding at Six Mile Creek Vineyard in Ithaca and she was amazing! From start to finish Adrienne was extremely organized and accommodating. She even kept in touch by email while she was on vacation!!
    My wife and I shopped around at several local restaurants and caterers and many of them were inflexible and unwelcoming; our experience with Adrienne and with Joe's restaurant was so positive that we chose to host our rehearsal dinner there with 40 of our closest friends and family members the night before the wedding!
    On the wedding day itself I was impressed by how smoothly everything went and how effortlessly Adrienne put it all together. I didn't even notice her or her staff once things got started, everything just seemed to happen like clockwork without any commotion. The food served at the reception tasted exactly as it did when we tried it in the restaurant and all of our guests commented that it was quite tasty and there was plenty of it.
    Overall I couldn't be happier with our decision to choose Joe's for such an important event. They performed flawlessly and provided warm and professional service, which is a major reason why we would choose to hire them again. And we highly recommend Adrienne as an event planner/coordinator who prepares for everything, communicates clearly and often, and can manage big events and big personalities with gentle ease.

Sent on 01/11/2013

Jessica · Married on 06/18/2016

One of the many reasons why my husband and I chose not to have our wedding in NYC (where we live) is that every vendor really just nickles and dimes you. We wanted a catering company that was reasonable, accommodating, and fair to us, but could also serve exceptional food with exceptional service. H&J was our perfect match - they ended up not only catering our wedding reception, but also our welcome party!

The food was delicious, but most importantly, the people who executed the event were the absolute best. We worked with Dustin for about the first year of planning this out - every glowing review you read, people just rave about Dustin.. so I knew we were in good hands. He was so accommodating and easy to work with. I was able to get all the details we wanted - from the escort cocktails to the signature bride/groom cocktails to the wine service during dinner... anything that we wanted, they were able to work with us on.

One scare that we had was Dustin leaving the company 2 weeks before my wedding. He had been managing all the details (and there were a LOT of details), so I was nervous that something would fall through the cracks with passing everything off to his replacement, Tom. I shouldn't have worried at all because it seems like H&J just hires the best - Tom was so organized and on top of everything. The day before the wedding, I asked if he could come to the venue so we could walk through the floor plan. He completely eased our nervousness and made us feel comfortable with the event management hand-off - I could not be more grateful for Tom and his team's flawless execution of the weekend.

THANK YOU!

Sent on 08/12/2016

Vicky · Married on 08/16/2014

My daughter had her wedding at Emerson park. We worked with Andrea. She did a great job of giving us feedback, ideas etc. She was very professional and knowledgeable. We also met Tim and the Chef who were very professional. The food and the reception were great. The cocktail hour on the Veranda was awesome. I would definitely recommend this facility and H and J hospitality and Andrea for a future wedding or event!

Sent on 08/30/2014

Katie · Married on 08/02/2014

Dustin was extraordinarily helpful during both the planning process and on the actual day! Everyone at H&J catering was super friendly and professional. We got so many compliments on our food (Gouda Mac and Cheese was absolutely amazing!) and how smoothly everything ran. Dustin was a key player in this. He was so flexible and knowledgeable that we never had to worry about anything. Really a pleasure to work with.

Sent on 08/20/2014

Nikki · Married on 08/25/2018

I had H and J for my wedding and they did a wonderful job! Rene is amazing, keeping everything organized and very quick to respond. The day of the food was delicious and all my guest complimented it. They changed the menu according to what my husband and I desired, making it personal. I would recommend them to any bride looking for someone to cater their wedding.

Sent on 09/24/2018

H & J Hospitality's reply:

Thank you, Nikki!
    It was a pleasure working with you and meeting your wedding needs.
    I admire you for your ability to plan such a beautiful wedding in the face of weather issues, and from a distance. I am happy to have been a part of it!

Rene Peckham - H&J Hospitality, Sales Manager
  • Kristen Kramer

Kristen · Married on 10/03/2015

Dustin and his team were incredible to work with. His responsiveness and flexibility were such a relief in the hecticness of wedding planning. He would always respond to emails very quickly and was willing to make every change we requested (large and small). He even helped us find ways to cut down costs along the way. The food was great, and his staff were very helpful and friendly. We used H&J for both the wedding and our rehearsal dinner and everything was great!

Sent on 10/25/2015

Sarah · Married on 08/02/2014

Our original cateer fell through last minuted. We called H & J Hospitaity, panicked and by the end of the phone call all our worries were gone and every little detail was taken care of. Dustin was our planner and was very detailed and on top of everything. We are so grateful for this wonderful team and all our guests LOVED our reception food!

Sent on 09/22/2014

Ruth · Married on 06/24/2017

3.0

Tom was so great to work with and made our wedding day super easy and relaxing. We had a great breakfast (for dinner!) buffet with mimosas that all our guests loved and the catering team went above and beyond what we asked/planned for making our day so much fun.

Sent on 06/26/2017

Donna · Married on 08/15/2015

3.5
      3.5

I hired H&J to provide catering for our wedding. Throughout the whole planning phase Dustin was great. He worked with me and my fiance to make sure we were getting the most for our money and was very honest about alternative options to lower costs. Dustin was also helpful during the reception making sure we kept on schedule. One downside is that they prepare food offsite. As wedding days go, our timing was a bit off (no fault of H&J) but the food suffered as a result. Overall everything went well and my guests were happy. They also worked well with the onsite event coordinator at my wedding venue which helped a lot.

Sent on 11/01/2015

In general we were very pleased with the service, the food, and the responsiveness they had to our questions. I would definitely recommend the food to others in the Ithaca area.

Sent on 11/06/2012

Christine · Married on 09/10/2016

2.8
      2.5
      3.0

We had a very mixed experience. The proposal from H&J was very reasonable and Dustin was wonderfully flexible, working with us to add items that weren’t on the menu, figuring out a way to include a craft beer that we wanted, and offering lots of suggestions about how to set up the space. He also consistently responded to emails within an hour, if not less, which we appreciated when we were trying to make tons of decisions. But Dustin left H&J a few months before our wedding, and Chelsea took over. And that’s when we started to have problems. Although Chelsea was similarly accommodating when we requested tweaks to the menu and other changes, it would often take days to get responses to my emails - and often only after I had sent another email to follow up. There were several other communication issues that caused us unnecessary stress in the final weeks leading up to the wedding: when we were trying to finalize our seating chart, Chelsea told us that the space could only comfortably fit 4 fewer tables than we had originally been told. Two days before the wedding, she told us that the rentals would be arriving on Friday (not Saturday, as we had planned), and although no one from H&J would be there to meet the delivery folks, I was told they would know exactly where to set things up. That didn’t happen; the delivery people showed up on Friday, clueless, and although my dad happened to be there, he had no idea what to tell them. Finally, we had arranged to have a special meal for a guest with significant dietary restrictions, but no one had asked us where that guest was sitting, and the meal was inexplicably given to one of our vendors. The food was fine - everyone raved about the passed hors d’oeuvres, but the dinner was dry and a little disappointing - but the headaches with the final month of the planning process made me seriously second-guess our decision.

Sent on 10/16/2016

Meagan · Married on 09/04/2016

1.8
      2.5
      1.0

I'll start by saying that 1) we started working with Dustin, and ended up with Tim, and 2) the servers and bartenders were fantastic - extremely professional, up beat and attentive and 3) the food was very good. That said, working with Tim was a bit of a nightmare. He was supposed to get the paperwork (liquor license, insurance, etc.) to our venue two weeks in advance - it got to the venue TWO DAYS before our event. Our venue owner had never seen anything like it. And we had been hounding him to get it in. We paid for kids meals and vegetarian meals that weren't served, the bar had to be closed a half an hour before it was supposed to (because of the paperwork issue), and Tim was barely apologetic. The food we did have was very good (apart from the sad little cheese and fruit display), so I wouldn't NOT recommend this company, I would just try to work with someone else and make sure the keep you completely in the loop. Overall the even went very well, but I certainly wouldn't work with Tim again.

Sent on 09/12/2016