71 Reviews for Greysolon Ballroom by Black Woods

Specialty Beer (1)
Specialty Wine (1)
Lighting (1)
71 Greysolon Ballroom by Black Woods Reviews

We got married in the Moorish Room in June, and it was INCREDIBLE! First off, the whole staff was ahhh-mazing through the planning process. I am type A/OCD and planned our entire wedding, and I cannot tell you how many emails and phone calls I had with them. They were beyond helpful, detail-oriented, and patient haha. Almost all of our vendors had worked within them before, and that took a lot of worry out of the process and big day. And when the big day came, to put it simply, everything ran like clockwork, and it was STUNNING! Our guests could not stop raving about how gorgeous it all was...and how much fun they had. Choosing Greysolon was THE BEST decision we made in planning our wedding. We are so happy!

Photos
Profile Picture Ashley , 6/9/18, 12 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor
Services Used: Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Chairs, Decor, Furniture, Tables, Bridal Suite, Clean Up, Event Rentals, Set Up, Indoor

The ballroom was a prefect fit for us! We used the grand ballroom for our ceremony and reception. The space worked perfectly for both! We also rented the moorish room for cocktail hour. Both rooms are very spacious and beautiful! Our service was very prompt and spot on from the time we first sat down with Jax to the very end! Our food was delicious to! I would recommend The Greysolon Ballroom to anyone and everyone!

Photo
Profile Picture Tracy, 1/5/18, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Wheelchair Access, Bridal Suite, Clean Up, Event Rentals, Set Up, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware

The team at Greysolon is as amazing as the venue is beautiful! My wedding was a dream because of how helpful everyone was. I didn’t have to think or worry about anything all day and there was always a helpful hand when needed. 100% would recommend to everyone! Thank you Greysolon for making our wedding perfect!

Photo for Greysolon Ballroom by Black Woods Review - Beautiful lobby
Photo for Greysolon Ballroom by Black Woods Review - Great photo spots near by
Profile Picture Abigail, 10/14/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Centerpieces, Chairs, Dance Floor, Decor, Tables, Bridal Suite, Clean Up, Set Up, Indoor

We chose the Moorish room and could not have chosen a more perfect venue for our reception. The prexisting beauty of the room meant we didn’t have to do much to it for the occasion. The staff are friendly and helpful and the food was really good. We used their reccommended vendors for everything else and were pleased with how well all the vendors worked together.

Profile Picture Tori, 9/2/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Bridal Suite, Cake, Centerpieces, Chairs, Dance Floor, Decor, Furniture, Tables

I highly recommend Greysolon for your out of town wedding. They took care of everything for us, and it was beautiful and so well organized. We had the ceremony, dinner and dance in the Moorish room. When they ask if you want the decorations, say Yes! It was so pretty, and we didn't have to mess with that, I appreciated that they took a sincere interest in my new daughter in law's wants and advised her specifically about what worked with other weddings. Having the courtyard with the fountain to mingle in while they reset the room for dinner was lovely as well. It was the holidays, so it was also very nicely decorated. The food was excellent! We had a buffet and everything was fresh and hot. I also was so pleased that whenever we asked for something, the answer was always a yes, and they were eager to make everything work. Don't let the 10am rehearsal scare you. It was perfect. We also did the Grooms dinner at the Blackwoods the night before, and that was a great success. Have the Sheraton shuttle your group to that. Excellent caring service!

Profile Picture K, 12/3/16, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Bridal Suite, Cake, Clean Up, Event Planning, Set Up, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Centerpieces, Chair Covers, Chairs, Dance Floor, Decor, Furniture, Lighting, Tables, Parking, Indoor

This venue is so beautiful! Food and drinks were great! We have nothing but really things to say about Jax and Kalysta and their staff! They are very genuine people who really care about their clients. We were very, very happy having our wedding reception here. Thank you ladies so much!!!

Profile Picture Brittany, 10/29/16, 9 Reviews
4.3

We were very happy with the responsiveness and willingness to work with us! Almost everything can be included in your package with Greysolon, up to you what you include, and the people are very nice. My only two complaints were that I didn't meet who would be in charge of running my wedding until the morning of and that some of the cleaning staff were slightly rude. The cleaning staff, the people that came and took plates, water, etc away, were in a hurry and some of the guests complained that the water was taken away early. They also put my cake away, which I was happy about at first but when we arrived home and opened the box it was completely ruined...I'm not sure if the staff did this or if the transport home was too much for our cake. I would just advise you put a bridesmaid or someone you trust in charge of watching your cake be put away if you take any home. Otherwise the venue was gorgeous and I didn't have any problems the night of, everything went smoothly.

Profile Picture Dawn, 10/22/16, 11 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Indoor, Chair Covers, Chairs, Dance Floor, Furniture, Tables, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Dessert, Plated, Server(s), Cash Bar, Clean Up, Set Up

It is one of the more expensive venues in Duluth, after researching the area. But you will not have to spend a lot on decor as the venue is so beautiful on it's own. The people were amazing to work with and they handled the night-of perfectly and professionally.

Profile Picture User5057541, 1+ year ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Wheelchair Access, Indoor, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Plated, Bartender(s), Cash Bar, House Beer, House Wine, Limited Bar, Bridal Suite, Event Planning, Chairs, Dance Floor, Furniture, Tables, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens

We got married in the ballroom, it was beautifully perfect!!

Profile Picture Selina, 5/7/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Working with Kalysta was awesome! She was so helpful during the planning process. We were trying to maintain a budget and she probably rewrote our invoice 15 times. She always was timely and willing to answer any questions you had, even questions that were wedding related but not Greysolon related. The night of the event went smoothly as well. They directed us when to go where and asked us a few questions throughout the evening to facilitate certain areas smoothly. I also have gotten lots of awesome compliments related to the dinner service.

Profile Picture User5580006, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Bartender(s), Server(s), Wheelchair Access, Bridal Suite, Event Planning, Event Rentals, Chairs, Furniture, Tables, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Indoor

I got married at Greysolon on 12/18/2015 and had a wonderful experience. From the time we booked until after the wedding, everyone at Greysolon was awesome. We booked with Jax, and then for the rest of my wedding planning I was in contact with Kalysta. Both Jax and Kalysta are so sweet and so helpful. They know ALL the ins and outs of planning a wedding and they were able to answer any questions I had. Kalysta was very on top of everything I needed and she helped me so much with everything. There wasn't a detail that was forgotten.

When I showed up at Greysolon the day of my wedding, Toni and Cora were managing for the night. Both of them were so helpful. They catered to anything I needed - at one point I was getting pretty wore out and Toni even brought me water. We had pales of ale and mimosas for everyone while we were getting ready and both were exactly as we expected.

My husband and I decided to have Greysolon do our centerpieces and other accents throughout the venue, and when I got there, a gentleman checked with me to make sure it looked how I wanted. I also brought some picture frames and other things into the venue and they made sure that it was all set up where and how I wanted.

The food was fantastic. We had the champagne chicken with gorgonzola gratin potatoes and green beans. We had it plated, and it was served very quickly. Many of our guests have already commented on how good the food was. We had a couple vegetarians at our wedding, and Greysolon staff had no problem accommodating.

From the time I booked until the time the wedding was over, I felt like Greysolon met every need that I had. The venue itself is gorgeous enough for me to recommend it to anyone, but the staff made the experience one I'll never forget.

Profile Picture Nicole, 12/18/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Indoor, Wheelchair Access, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'Oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Centerpieces, Chairs, Dance Floor, Decor, Furniture, Tables, Bartender(s), Cash Bar, Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Liquor, House Wine, Liquor License, Premium Liquor, Specialty Beer, Specialty Wine
4.7

Greysolon is stunning! One of the major advantages that helped us choose a venue was that we knew there would be do additional decorating involved! They even had a centerpiece option with mercury glass pieces which was exactly what we were looking for. It's great that they take care of everything; ceremony, reception, decor, food, drinks, etc. There are a few drawbacks though: they only offer 2 food tastings a year & we weren't available the day that they had one before our wedding, so we're going in blind. Also, they no longer offer chair covers. They need to be rented through a second party, which is so incredibly expensive. The chairs are new & not necessarily bad, but considering the gorgeous surroundings, the chairs themselves don't quite fit the elegance of the space without the chair covers. Another minor issue is that since our wedding is on a Friday, we aren't able to do a rehearsal the night before and can't get into the space until 10:00am the day of the wedding, which throws a wrench into the ladies' prep time, our first looks, etc. All that aside, it was by far the best option for us to get married and have our reception in Duluth!

Profile Picture User4972796, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor

The team at Greysolon makes planning any event so much easier. I have used them for corporate events as well as my own wedding and I am always amazed at how much help they are! They don't just provide you with a space and catering. They really take care of you and your needs, as well as your guests. They are worth every penny and more!

Profile Picture Melissa, 9/17/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

What a beautiful reception. The ballroom has both elegance and class. It was the perfect place to have my wedding reception. Everyone at Greysolon is such a joy to work with. They are very communicative and are genuinely excited with you for your wedding day. They truly treat you like and family and will not disappoint. If you are having a wedding in Duluth, MN go with this vendor.

Profile Picture Emily, 8/30/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We chose to have our ceremony in the Moorish Room as our group was a bit smaller than most (120). The staff and service at the Greysolon is unmatched! Despite the construction going on the enhance the historical aspects of this great building, the space was beautiful and you would have never even known any construction was happening! We came from 2 states away to get married here and were told me so many guests that this was a wedding like they've never seen before! THANK YOU to the Greysolon's amazing staff for making long-distance wedding planning a breeze!

Profile Picture User5386251, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor, Wedding Cake, Wedding Planning

We chose the Moorish Room to hold our ceremony and reception. The staff here is beyond compare, the true meaning of professionalism. The venue is stunningly beautiful and the food was amazing. We loved working with Kalysta and Jax. These ladies know what they are doing. The entire staff is amazing. They made our wedding the best experience possible. Our guests felt like they were inside a fairytale. We will definitely use them again and if you are looking for a venue to plan an event, you just can't do any better than Greysolon. All we can say is WOW!

Profile Picture Axel, 7/25/15, 7 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Our daughter (the bride) commented the next morning that she and her husband both felt that their wedding day had been "more wonderful than they'd ever imagined it to be." Dancing at her wedding in the Greysolon Ballroom had been a dream of hers growing up in Duluth. This couple LOVES to dance so the ballroom was the absolutely perfect venue for their wedding reception. The staff - Jax, Kalysta and their team took care of every single detail - sometimes before we even thought to ask the question! Kalysta kept in touch on a regular basis and really helped us make wise decisions along the way for everything from food and wine choices to timing of the grand march and meal service. And guests are still commenting about how fabulous the food was as. Hats off to the chef - the filet mignon & walleye duet plated meal was spectacular!

Profile Picture Adele, 7/10/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Ever since I was a little girl I have dreamed of having my wedding here. Now it finally came true, right away when I got engaged I went and booked it. Throughout the two year engagement we kept in contact about what I wanted and they helped me find all the vendors I needed. The week of the wedding Kaylista was very efficient on calling me back, and taking all the stress off of me. The venue is like a dream and I would recommend Greysolon and their amazing staff to anyone who is looking for a happily ever after wedding night!

Profile Picture Stacey, 6/27/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

How do I say how wonderful this place is to have an event. AMAZING!! Everyone should chose this as your place to have an event. They are professional and work with you to make everything work to your needs. We as a family would go here again and again for our events!!

Profile Picture Linda, 6/12/15, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Greysolon was a dream to work with. They'd take maybe a day or two to get back to emails, but otherwise, they were great.
The food was AMAZING. I dream about the manacotti still!
The staff is experienced and everything ran so smoothly. I was so relaxed on my wedding day and I owe a huge part of it to them.

Profile Picture Kathryn, 3/14/15, 7 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
3.2

Greysolon was the most beautiful place to have our wedding ceremony and reception. However, they provide NO security. We had an individual come in and steal purses and coats while we were eating dinner. I had to grab something from the bridal suite and found her there and notified the staff. She was apprehended and things were returned. But I had police at my reception and spent 45 minutes thus missing dinner almost entirely because of this. My bridesmaids and groomsmen all missed dinner as a result because everyone had to give statements to the police. Greysolon responded by giving us another pass of wine and some pizza for a late snack. In my opinion this is not enough. For the price of the reception and the fact that the ballroom is NOT open to the public, the Greysolon should provide more security. During the night I learned that all the doors were unlocked and that there were more than just the robber in attendance. My father and sister had to escort people out of our reception who were there for the free beer. Some even came in full snow suits. This is unacceptable. In speaking to other people who have had their receptions there, they had the SAME problem. This is not an isolated incident. Greysolon should be more proactive rather than reactive. They need to provide personnel who are there for the purpose of guarding the area. At this point I cannot recommend this location to anyone.

Profile Picture Kindahl, 11/28/14, 6 Reviews
4.7

They were absolutely amazing! The staff, the coordinators, everyone was there to help and make sure our day went as smoothly as possible. We had the perfect wedding and cannot thank Greysolon enough. I would highly recommend this venue.

Profile Picture User3762945, 2+ years ago, 8 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Greysolon was absolutely amazing! My wedding was a dream come true!

Profile Picture April, 10/24/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Jax and Kallysta were wedding day "fairy Godmothers". The amount of work these ladies had put in for our wedding day was completely unbridled. Above and beyond what was ever imagined or expected. The staff on our wedding day were so patient, friendly, courteous and just pleasant. They addressed every simple request and made every detail stand out. Our food was amazing and every guest left with an incredible experience from the ballroom. I can not express or explain enough just how impressed and blown away my husband and I are. We managed to not only plan a wedding that was a fairy tale, but we built a relationship with these two ladies that has forever touched a part of our hearts... WAY TO GO LADIES!!

Profile Picture Heather, 10/12/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

LOVED working with Kalysta throughout planning our wedding!! Great food and the event manager helped make the ceremony and reception seamless. Such a wonderful night!

View Vendor Response