Granny Schmidt's Bake Shop Reviews

64 | Whitehall, PA

64 Reviews for Granny Schmidt's Bake Shop

Heather · Married on 05/17/2009

They did a fantastic job creating my dream wedding cake! Michelle helped me and my husband to put together our ideas, which resulted in a gorgeous cake on the wedding day! I highly recommend them! Our cake was not only gorgeous but also delicious! We received many compliments about it from our guests!

Sent on 06/03/2009

Amy · Married on 11/15/2015

Michelle was super fast to respond to all my questions and concerns. The ribbon I wanted on my cake was not what I expected, however the cake turned out beautiful and tasted amazing. She did not charge extra to add my own brooches to the design. The price was reasonable and she makes sure there is enough cake for everyone to have a good size serving and still have the top layer to save.

Sent on 01/22/2016

Val · Married on 12/21/2013

Michelle was great throughout the whole wedding planning! My husband and I had a couple of things go wrong during the planning and Michelle understood our situation and helped us right away. Everyone that i talked to absolutely loved the cake! It was beautiful and delicious! We definitely recommend Granny Schmidt's for any party!

Sent on 01/21/2014

Vicki · Married on 10/26/2012

My husband and I wanted a variety of desserts for our wedding rather than a large cake. Michelle @ Granny Schmidt’s was more than willing to work with us to come up with some great dessert options. She handled our requests efficiently and our meeting with her was one of our fastest and easiest of the whole planning process. We told her what we had in mind, she made suggestions, we picked flavors and amounts, and we were done and on our way to our next meeting in less than an hour. She provided cupcakes, pies, and standard-sized cakes for our guests in a wide variety of flavors. Each flavor was uniquely decorated and our dessert table both looked very pretty and tasted amazing. We’re still getting compliments from guests about how good everything tasted.

Sent on 03/24/2013

Granny Schmidt's Bake Shop's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are thrilled that we were part of your special day! Congratulations again!
  • Sierra

Sierra · Married on 06/19/2016

Michelle and her team are amazing. I must have had some of the craziest concepts when explaining what I wanted for my wedding cupcakes and cupcake "Topper" and there was no hesitation or confusion, just questions, notes and lots of excitement.
    Their flavors are spot on, technique is amazing, and service is top notch. I will work again with Granny's any opportunity that I can

Sent on 09/21/2015

Hi there!
    Thank you so much for your kind words!
    It was a pleasure making your special day spectacular!
    We hope to see you again!
    Michelle

Rebecca · Married on 06/04/2011

Our wedding cake was delicious and looked so beautiful. Michelle was great in working with us to provide a price within our budget.

Sent on 06/28/2011

Rebecca · Married on 04/30/2011

3.5

Cake was gorgeous! And Michelle is wonderful to work with - very responsive and understanding of how hectic the day can be. We gave her our colors and ideas for the cake design - and let her pastry chef weave some magic. The end result looked amazing - and our guests love the cake...

Her prices are in line with other high quality bakeries - but we may have overestimated our cake size as we had quite a bit left over. This may be from how the venue cut the cake - but in all it was a great experience.

Sent on 07/05/2011

The cakes are delicious and they are the only bakery in the area that guaranteed a nut free cake.

Sent on 04/28/2015

Granny Schmidt's Bake Shop's reply:

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We are thrilled you were pleased with your cake!
    Congratulations again!
    Granny Schmidt's

2.0

The cake was gorgeous and tasted good. The owner is not as personable as I would have liked and she constantly tried to push for upgrades even when we made it clear that we had a smaller budget for our wedding. On the day of the wedding, she arrived 30 minutes earlier than she had told us and left before we could give her our cake topper even though I was staying in the same hotel at the time, so the hotel management had to do it for us. In all, I would cautiously recommend her. The product was good and looked picture perfect. However, if you want someone who will work with you and provide a good overall experience and is easy to talk to, you may want to consider a different place...

Sent on 12/29/2014

Marissa · Married on 09/18/2011

3.0

I wanted something really different for my wedding cake. I was doing a Norwegian themed wedding and wanted painting on my cake in the Norwegian rosemaling style. I saw a cake at a bridal show that Granny Schmidt had done with hand painting on it and really liked it. My initial meetings with Michelle were excellent - she was excited to try what we were looking for. In addition, her cakes tasted amazing - so moist and delicious. I wanted a spice cake with an apple butter filling and she made a terrific one. We bought 2 test cakes over the 2 year period leading up to the wedding so that we could be sure that the painting was the way we wanted it. I heartily reccommend doing this if you are asking for anything unusual in your cake!

Everything seemed fine when we saw the last test cake in April (I got married in Sept). However, the final product didn't quite live up to my expectations. The cake itself was delicious - just what I wanted for a fall wedding. And, overall, the decoration came out pretty close to what I wanted. However, there were a number of spots where the fondant was cracked and one where it was folded. The cake, even after sitting out for almost 7 hours, was so frozen that my caterer couldn't cut into the middle of it and we had to delay serving it.

I spoke with Michelle after the wedding and we did come to an agreement about the issues and an adjustment was made in the price. I'm not sure why we had these problems, my advice is to make sure there is plenty of time for the cake to come to room temperature even though Michelle insisted that it hadn't been frozen. I will emphasize again that the cake was absolutely delicious and very moist - something you don't often see with wedding cakes. Perhaps if we had wanted something more traditional in the decoration we wouldn't have had these problems.

Sent on 10/10/2011

Laura · Married on 11/28/2009

3.5
      2.5

Our cake was absolutely delicious- and we received many compliments on it- but the decorations and the design was not as elegent as I wanted it to be. I gave them a picture and tried to explain the important of simple but elegent but somehow it did not communicate well- The price was higher then other vendors in the area, but if you are looking for taste their taste out beat everyone else- just watch when it comes to deisgn and gum pasting....

Sent on 12/22/2009

Kathleen · Married on 09/17/2016

2.8
      2.5

I took a lot of time to think about how/if I was even going to write this Then I visited Granny Schmidt's Facebook page...To start, the cake was delicious. If this review was based on taste alone, it would be 5 stars. However, the cake looked nothing like we expected. My husband and I chose a three tier cake that looked like a birch tree. When I arrived at the venue the day of the wedding, our birch tree was yellow. It looked like a tree carved out of butter. Not at all like the picture sent over with our contract, or the birch tree I saw at Granny Schmidt's table at a bridal show (which was made out of fondant, while ours was buttercream) or the birch tree in their show room, and certainly not at all like an actual birch tree. I was pretty disappointed. Who has ever seen a yellow tree? Our wedding was September 17th. A picture of our cake is on Granny Schmidt's Facebook page (cake with K & J). Another birch tree cake (initials M & C) was posted to their Facebook page on September 11. These two cakes look NOTHING alike. The M & C cake is distinctly brown, while our cake is yellow. Again, disappointing to see the two cakes in comparison. When we called, Michelle asked "Well did people eat it"? Of course they ate it. It’s still cake. The point was, it looked nothing like the picture attached to the contract I signed. And the only response was "did they eat it"? Really? Michelle did give us a partial refund, but now seeing this other cake that was made just a week prior, I feel her response was a little indignant. Clearly, our cake was not what it was supposed to be. Yet, it was still sent out to our wedding looking as it did. Again, yes our guests ate the cake and it tasted VERY good. But it just was not what I signed a contract for. Wedding cakes are not cheap and to have the cake not turn out looking like what I signed off on does not sit well. And though Michelle did attempt to make things right, her verbal response just adds insult to "injury" at this point.

Sent on 10/07/2016

Hello Kathleen,
    I am sorry your cake was not what you expected. Sadly, I did not speak to you. I spoke to your mother. Your mom explained about the color difference. I did try to tell her the cake in the photo was on a Gold Board with Brown and Fall colored leaves, etc.. you requested a white board with all Green leaves. Sometimes lighting from photographers etc.. can play a role in color change. I did ask your mom if the guests ate the cake because I wanted to make sure you were happy with the taste. It was difficult at times to speak with her because I assume it was your dad in the back round talking over her. So I was quiet until I could ask what they were looking for to make it right. I did refund them the portion of the cake they had requested.
    The cake photo I had in your folder was one we previously did with the color variations I explained above. When you change a design in anyway sometimes it can vary in the look.
    Again, I am sorry for the confusion. I appreciate you taking the time to write your thoughts.
    I wish you and your new husband a wonderful life together!
    Sincerely
    Michelle
  • Z

Megan · Married on 04/28/2012

2.2
      0.0
      0.5

I want to state right away that the cake was absolutely delicious and we got many compliments on it. We got the chocolate and peanut butter cake with a vanilla buttercream and it was super yummy.

With that said, the cake was decorated wrong. There was supposed to be a swirl of flowers twirling up the cake turning from white to lilac to a dark purple, and instead the cake was just covered in little flowers, all spaced out. It didn't ruin my day or anything, but when you ask for several photos as examples of what I want... I expect it to be at least somewhat similar.

Second, when the cake was delivered she hung around for a bit and yelled at somebody on her cell phone. While I'm there in my wedding gown, preparing things. What the heck, lady. Go outside for that.

Again, the cake was delicious so no complaints there, but I wouldn't recommend this to anybody who has any specifics on what they want their cake to look like.

Sent on 05/21/2012

Gigi · Married on 06/04/2011

1.2
      1.0

My fiance and I were very disappointed in how we were treated by the owner. She made it sound as though we were an imposition because she is so busy. Never did she address my husband b his name, and the quality of the cake was pitiful. It tasted like a freakin' box cake, and the decr wasn't even what we had agreed upon. I will never recommend this bakery - it's not even a physical bakery. My husband tried to get me to buy elsewhere; next time I'll listen.

Sent on 07/09/2011