Grandale Catering Reviews

105 | Purcellville, VA

105 Reviews for Grandale Catering

Grandale Catering was absolutely AMAZING and we couldn't have picked a better caterer for our wedding. We signed our contract for the venue with enough time to still use Grandale (instead of the solitary caterer the venue was switching to) and thank goodness we did!

The prices were far less expensive than they could have been for the quality of food and service that we received. The head chef, Author, was very responsive and met with us several times prior to the wedding- and he had done several weddings at our venue, so he had a lot of really good input as far as how to set stuff up. The food was phenomenal, and the wait staff was wonderful. We were able to add things to the rentals (tables, table cloths) far later than we would have been allowed to with many other caterers, and really appreciated Grandale's flexibility.

We brought family to the restaurant at Grandale prior to the wedding, so they could taste how good all of the food was, and everyone loved it!

Sent on 08/12/2013

Lori · Married on 07/20/2013

I can not say enough positive things about Grandale Catering to do them justice. Author was an absolute joy to work with. He went above and beyond, every step of the way. From the tasting to clean up, he made us feel like royalty. He kept in touch throughout the planning process and offered wonderful suggestions to make our day fabulous. We had many last minute requests and he never missed a beat or said no to anything.

His team arrived promptly and had everything set up way before schedule. They even helped the event planner set-up extra items. We had a last minute issue with one of our vendors not having a working tent and Author stepped in and saved the day offering to set up his personal tent - which saved our ceremony music!

The food was absolutely amazing! We've been to many of weddings and never tasted better food. The presentation was beautiful, everything was timed perfectly and every guest walked away feeling like they had a 5 star experience. The bartender was awesome and the waitstaff went above and beyond to assist guests. The team was extremely professional and so helpful throughout the day.

They made my wedding day stressfree and the overall result was outstanding! I look forward to using their services for future events. We consider Author a family friend at this point.

Sent on 07/23/2013

Erika · Married on 06/08/2013

I can't say enough wonderful things about working with Grandale Catering. Everything is made fresh with seasonal and local produce. We did a buffet-stye meal composed of a duo of sliders, mixed greens, chicken penne, and antipasto. The food was a hit and I'm still hearing about the yummy sliders and antipasto from my guests. I worked with AJ, who is the executive chef at Grandale, and he was extremely responsive and easy to work with. My wedding planner and I went through multiple versions of floorplans and AJ was always very quick with responding with updated contract information. I couldn't have asked more from my caterer!

Sent on 06/24/2013

Our guests loved the food! We had bacon wrapped scallops, spanakopita and other appetizers during cocktail hour and then moved on to a buffet of antipasto, pasta and sliders. Our wedding was at the start of summer so we wanted to make sure the flavors were light and fresh, but still substantial. Grandale delivered and the sliders especially were a hit. Guests even loved the roasted veggies. Arthur, the chef at Grandale, was wonderful to work with. We went back several times as I adjusted the floor plan and menu, and he very responsive and always professional. The tasting was actually a full meal at the Grandale Farm restaurant. Because they make everything fresh from local farms, we didn't actually eat the items on our catering menu; instead, it was a close equivalent using the available produce at the restaurant that day. The tasting meal was so wonderful at the restaurant that we knew the catered food would be just as great. I would definitely recommend Grandale Catering and plan to go back to eat at their restaurant.

Sent on 12/15/2013

Chris · Married on 05/26/2013

I was in touch with Grandale Catering more than a year before my wedding, and Author was incredibly helpful and responsive throughout the entire process. Day of, he and his staff were very professional, everything went off without a hitch. The food was incredible, and I'm still receiving compliments on how good everything was and how smoothly everything went. I would not hesitate to recommend Grandale for your event.

Sent on 05/30/2013

Laura · Married on 05/03/2013

From beginning to end, the services provided by Author and his staff were excellent. Author really knows what he is doing and is very professional and detail oriented. For example, while I was spying on the wedding set up from my room I heard him talking to a bartender about removing the red wine bottles from the sunny areas of the table. He also carefully plated each individual dish so that the food looked wonderful. Author was also an invaluable help to my mom who was working on setting up my somewhat elaborate centerpieces--he even pulled some of his staff and assigned them to her! She can't stop talking about what a huge help he was to her. His calm, confident demeanor put everyone at ease and everything went so smoothly. And last, but certainly not least, the food was excellent! If I had to do it all over again, I would be back at Grandale Farm for my catering needs.

Sent on 05/07/2013

Great service, delicious food, extremely helpful and easy to work with!!

Sent on 10/12/2012

Alexis · Married on 09/15/2012

Grandale Farms was fantastic. They provided catering, bartending, and the rentals for our wedding. We would recommend them to anyone.

Sent on 09/24/2012

Diana · Married on 09/08/2012

Holy amazing food!! Grandale was amazing to deal with from the beginning of our journey, and they most certainly did not disappoint! The food at our wedding was simply unbelievable. It was elegant, delicious and provided choices for everyone. We have become frequenters of the restaurant we love the food so much! I can't say enough about how amazing Grandale is and especially head chef, Author Clark. Do yourself a favor and eat there - do your guests a favor and have them cater your wedding!!

Sent on 09/18/2012
  • Reagan

Reagan · Married on 08/17/2012

Grandale was AMAZING!

Hello! I just got married in June 2019. I hired Grandale as my caterer. They went over and beyond in regards to every aspect of my special day. From the first tasting to the conclusion of the event everything was perfect. I still get compliments from my friends and family about the food and quality of service. A special thanks to all the staff! Especially Sarah and Misty! Everything was taken care of and I knew I was in great hands. Highly recommended!

Sent on 12/19/2019

Chef Author at Grandale Farm did a wonderful job catering for our wedding! He was so helpful and knew how to help through a party for us. All his food was delicious and at such great affordable prices. We especially loved the hanger steak dish. His staff also did a wonderful job serving our guests. I highly recommend Chef Author for any wedding or event. We plan on coming back to his restaurant to try his other delicious dishes.

Sent on 07/10/2012

Elizabeth · Married on 10/08/2011

Fantastic catering company!
    The food is wonderful and a great value for your money. But wedding catering is more than just about the food and Author Clark knows that. He's is with you every step of the way to help make sure your event is just what you want it to be. I was a hot mess with the wedding planning before I met Author. I didn't know where to get a tent or table decorations or even a DJ! But Author had the answer to each and every one. Extremely professional catering company and I would recommend them to anyone. If you're looking for value for your money, Grandale Farms is the place to go.

Sent on 10/27/2011

Rachel · Married on 10/01/2011

The food was great and the Executive Chef Author Clark Jr was so pleasant to work with. He was flexible, attentive, personable, and polite. He made the catering part of wedding planning easy which is needed since very little about wedding planning is easy. The only thing is gratuity is not included and can be confusing to figure out. If we could we would've loved to tip more because the service was that good.

Sent on 10/04/2011

Bob · Married on 08/13/2011

It was a total delight to work with Author Clark Jr., executive chef and event coordinator at Grandale Farm, to plan and host a rehearsal dinner and wedding at the farm! He listened carefully to our ideas and had excellent constructive suggestions for improving them. For example, we suggested a Maryland crab feast. He suggested we ask the bride because, although it would be fun, it would also be messy and could be a bit smelly. The bride nixed the cracked crab. So Author suggested crab cakes with free-range chicken and a vegetarian option. We all agreed, and the crab cakes, in particular, received rave reviews.

The phrase, “no problem,” became a refrain throughout the whole wedding weekend – we’d say “I’m sorry we’re late with the table runners” and Author would say “no problem,” even though his crew had to remove hundreds of carefully arranged glasses, install the runners, and replace the glasses. We were having trouble with the flowers we had ordered through our own provider: Author said “no problem” and assigned two of his crew to help re-work the arrangements and save the centerpieces! As the event unfolded, it became clear that Author viewed it as his job to be making our event the best he possibly could, whatever it took. And from his experience, he knew what it would take. A few days after the wedding, I realized that Author had arranged to have his crew of finish “his jobs,” such as setting the tables, icing the beer, and installing the power station, several hours early so they would have time to help us with “our jobs.” That’s what I call support!

Author’s calm, cheerful, and constructive attitude permeated the whole process from planning to clean up – and that’s saying something for an event that is as emotionally charged as a wedding! (I must also say that the bride and groom both contributed to this relaxed atmosphere, which everyone enjoyed.)

Throughout the eight months of planning, various subgroups of bridge, groom, and parents met with Author four or five times and exchanged 30 or 40 E-mails. He was consistently positive, friendly, and responsive to our long lists of questions and suggestions. In addition, he was up front about the expected costs and was willing to help us reduce things when we needed to.

The only suggestion I can come up with for improving the weekend is for Author to hire one or two extra servers for the sit-down dinner so the food could be delivered a little more at the same time.

I would jump at the chance to work with Author on another event, and I strongly recommend that you consider doing the same! By the way, the food was wonderful, the rain stayed away (as Author predicted), the bride and groom were happily married, and everyone went away saying that it was a great set of events!

Sent on 08/26/2011

Krista · Married on 05/29/2011

Grandale Farm is the perfect place for a wedding. It is beautiful with the mountains in the background. Author Clark prepared a wonderful meal--it was hard to choose from all the delicious choices! Everyone made it a point to tell us how much they enjoyed the food and the venue.

Sent on 06/14/2011

Jennifer · Married on 05/28/2011

Grandale Farm not only provided amazing food and service, they also care for their clients as if they are family. Our wedding would not have been nearly as wonderful had we not partnered with AJ and his talented crew.

Sent on 06/07/2011

Linda · Married on 05/20/2011

Grandale provided excellent service and food and made the entire experience wonderful. Chef Author was with us every step of the journey. I highly recommned.

Sent on 05/23/2011
  • Eddie & Reyna

Eddie R. · Married on 05/14/2011

Author was great to work with. We met him over a year before our wedding and we actually changed our wedding date because we wanted him to be our caterer. His food is delicious and very affordable. Author also gave us recommendations for our wedding planner and florist, which we used!

Author was also very flexible. We changed our menu a few times, added items and moved from buffet to plated. Through all the changes he was very accomodating. The day of the food was great as always. My mom is still talking about how sweet the strawberries were :)

Overall, great service, professional staff, and a pleasure to work with!

Sent on 06/16/2011

Jennifer · Married on 05/07/2011

Chef Author is the most fabulous person. He was so helpful in every aspect. Not only did he provide delicious food and a beautiful setting but he helped me with every vendor and gave invaluable advice. Perfect in every way.

Sent on 05/15/2011

Bridgett · Married on 04/30/2011

Chef Author was very responsive and answered any questions I had very quickly. We also needed a vegan option for the meal and he prepared an entree that was raved about by our vegan friends and family. We received many compliments from our guests about the food. Overall we were very pleased with Grandale Farms!

Sent on 05/07/2011

Sarah · Married on 10/16/2010

Chef Author & his team at Grandale Farms did an amazing job at our wedding! He was so thorough from the very beginning. We had a long telephone call after we had expressed interest in his services, and it was so nice to speak to someone rather than strictly e-mailing, especially when we hadn't even agreed to use them yet! We were invited to the restaurant to experience the food and service- absolutely delicious! Their prices were reasonable when compared to other caterers in the NoVa area and Author was so friendly when we wanted to change linen colors and menu items closer to the date.

We arrived at the reception to discover a sweetheart table. When we informed them that we had planned to sit at Table #1 with some of our guests, the table disappeared in a matter of seconds. When guests ate more fried chicken and shrimp than they were supposed to and it ran out early, it was only minutes before more appeared. Several guests left their belongings on tables, etc.... I received a call first thing in the morning that the items had been retrieved and were waiting to be picked up at the restaurant.

Grandale Farms were so professional, friendly, responsive, and most importantly, I only heard positive things about the food!

Sent on 11/04/2010

Susan · Married on 10/10/2010

Chef Author was outstanding! Very pleasant and professional. Chef Author couldn't have been more helpful. Especially, since we had so many problems with the staff from the venue, (Notaviva Vineyard) without his help, it would have been a lot worse. There is no question Chef Author and his staff care about doing a good job and provide excellent customer service. I have recommended Grandale Farms to several people and will continue to send business to Grandale Farms.

Sent on 12/05/2010
  • Abby

Abby · Married on 10/02/2010

Chef Author and his team provided absolutely fantastic (and cost effective) catering services for my October 2010 wedding in Leesburg. From the planning stages through execution, he was there every step of the way to provide guidance and advice - which resulted in a fantastic experience for my family and friends.

Author was very responsive to all of my email and phone inquiries - unlike many of the other caterers that I had contacted prior to selecting Grandale Farms. He is very personable - and quickly turned around initial estimates, revisions, rental contacts, etc. He was very familiar with the venue I had selected and had a very good working relationship with their staff - which made planning much easier. He provided a lot of best practices and ideas since he was so familiar with the venue. He also helped me determine how much (and what kind) of alcohol to purchase, etc.

Author is an actual chef and has his own restaurant (which is fantastic). He offered much guidance when selecting the menu and type of service that would work best with our plans. The appetizers and food were terrific - I received nothing but compliments from my guests on the food. He even provided fresh cut limes and blackberries to compliment my specialty drinks at the last minute.

He was also very flexible when my family wanted to supply a crazy amount of homemade cookies and treats for the reception (our family tradition). He set-up a cookie table and refilled it with treats all night.

Author also helped coordinate rental contacts with another bride getting married the following day at the same venue - so that we could split the cost of extra chairs and a dance floor. This was definitely above and beyond the call of duty.

Lastly, Author and his team provided great service the night of the wedding. We only had a minor issue with one of the bartenders serving guests too slowly - but the issue was quickly dealt with once it was raised to his attention.

Nothing but compliments to the chef and his team!

Sent on 11/06/2010

Carol · Married on 09/25/2010

Grandale Farms was very flexible and easy to work with. Chef Author was eager to accommodate what my daughter wanted. The food was great and we were very pleased. My favorite course was the hors d'oeuvres-- the crab dip was to-die-for. The staff was efficient and pleasant. I would not hesitate to recommend Grandale Farms. PS. We went to the restaurant for lunch prior to the wedding and it was great.

Sent on 09/29/2010

Cynthia · Married on 07/09/2010

Efficient, reliable, and always professional, Grandale farm provided delicious food and enabled our daughter's wedding reception to be a memorable one.

Sent on 07/11/2010