21 Reviews for Going to the Chapel...

Ceremony (2)
Timelines (1)
To-Do Lists (1)
Referrals (1)
21 Going to the Chapel... Reviews

Jan Wise at Going to the Chapel is a miracle worker.!!! My son got engaged over the Christmas Holidays, and due to his move and Naval career he wanted to marry at USNA in August. I seriously didn't think we could pull off planning a wedding in 8 months or less, but thanks to Jan and her team of pros we did it !!!! And it was done with style, and grace. Actually, as mother of the groom, I worked with Jan to orchestrate the rehearsal dinner the night before...and the brides parents used her for the wedding as well.......Jan fulfilled our desires each night, and made each celebration different and unique to reflect the personalities of each family. I would highly recommend Jan, and Going to the Chapel for your wedding planning needs. She is a caring, responsive, professional who takes pride in all aspects, and can put any Bridezilla, and mother of at ease with her warm and gentle way. She's the best.!!!!

Profile Picture Kathi, 8/26/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Wedding Planning

Our son is a Marine officer, and got married at the USNA Chapel in July 2017. Both he and his lovely bride were extremely pleased with everything Jan did to plan the wedding. She knows the ropes with the USNA and everything came off just superbly. She was a big help in choosing a reception venue, organizing tastings with them and with a baker for the cake. Jan is extremely well organized and is superb in helping the families focus on key items while she handles the dirty work. The transportation she organized was outstanding. She helped tremendously in getting everything just the way the happy couple wanted it. She was also a big help in organizing the "I Do" party, a get-to-know each other for all family and friends of the couple on the night of the rehearsal. To top it all off, Jan is a very sweet lady and lends a calm and a joy to the whole process.

Profile Picture Garry, 7/8/17, 1 Review
Category: Wedding Planning

As the Mother of the Bride, I can recommend Jan wholeheartedly! With the bride's family located in Mississippi, the groom's family in Michigan, the engaged couple in North Carolina and the wedding in Annapolis at the Chapel, we knew we needed help. After interviewing Jan and another planner in person, as well as reviewing various planner websites, we selected Jan. It was confirmed repeatedly during the wedding planning process that she was the perfect selection! Not only is she very knowledgeable about weddings at the Chapel, but also extremely gracious. She made suggestions for other vendors, i.e., flowers, cake, band, hotels, transportation, hair/make-up artists, etc. There were several recommendations for each so we could make final selections based on vision and budgets. She was available, thoughtful, thorough and understanding throughout the entire planning process. Jan generated timelines for the big day and distributed to all members of the wedding party so everyone was on the same page. I had no worries because she took care of everything and made the day even more enjoyable for us all. Thank you Jan!

Profile Picture Libby, 7/8/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Wedding Planning

Our situation was a bit unusual as when the planning process began for my daughter’s wedding she was on the West Coast, I was in Texas and the wedding was taking place at the Naval Academy in Annapolis! I realized after we were already into the planning process that we needed someone to help us. I chose Going to the Chapel because of their experience with weddings at the Naval Academy.

Working with Jan was amazing! She was the total professional, always available for conference calls, kept us organized and on a timetable. Jan’s knowledge of protocols for the Academy was invaluable, from being familiar with the paperwork that had to be submitted, making sure the transportation of our guests onto the yard was in order, and providing support and calm direction throughout the day of the wedding.

Jan stayed in contact with all the vendors prior to the wedding so on the wedding day everything ran smoothly.
Jan was with us the entire day, coming to the house first thing in the morning and was still with us at the venue when the reception was over. She was in complete control of the day from making sure we were on time in the morning to overseeing the flowers on the table. And it was not just the big stuff, Jan was there with a bottle of water when needed and a bobby pin to fix that last minute hair that was out of place. Jan is very personable and a delight.

Hiring Going to the Chapel and working with Jan Wise helped create a wonderful and memorable experience and I would recommend her without any reservations.

Profile Picture Monica, 10/15/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Wedding Planning

From the perspective of the parents of the groom, our son and his bride received top-notch service from Going to the Chapel and Jan Wise.
In 2016, with not much time to plan a US Naval Academy wedding, the bride and groom needed a wedding planner familiar with the Naval Academy Chapel wedding requirements as well as local venues for the rehearsal dinner and wedding reception. Jan Wise assisted them with the planning process and wedding weekend. Jan anticipated their every need, her recommendations always included options and she delivered on her promise of a stress-free wedding event. Of note is the personal attention she provided to every member of the wedding party. Many of the guests still comment about their beautiful wedding and the fun-filled weekend everyone enjoyed in Annapolis.
For anyone planning a wedding, we most strongly recommend Going to the Chapel. You will be pleased beyond your expectations with Jan Wise and the service she provides!

Profile Picture George and Jayne, 6/18/16, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, DJ, Dress & Attire, Flowers, Photography, Rehearsal Dinner Location, Transportation, Wedding Planning

Jan Wise with Going To The Chapel was absolutely amazing throughout the planning and especially the execution of our Naval Academy wedding weekend. She is an absolute joy to work with and gets all the little details right. She knew our wedding and all our vendors backwards and forwards, and worked with them behind the scenes so we didn't need to. On the day of the wedding, she was indispensable - she went above and beyond to make sure everything went smoothly and that we and our family, entire wedding party, and our guests had a stress free and enjoyable day of memories. We lovrd having her as part of our wedding, as she became more than just our wedding coordinator, but a treasured friend. You will love choosing this company to coordinate your USNA wedding, as they know the staff and the process better than anyone else in Annapolis, and so do their vendors! Thanks, Jan!!

Profile Picture User6235650, 1+ year ago, 1 Review
Category: Beauty & Health, Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, DJ, Dress & Attire, Flowers, Photography, Rehearsal Dinner Location, Transportation, Wedding Planning

We love "our Jane". We had so much fun working with Jane on the planning of our wedding. She introduced us to members of her team that were truly fantastic and thus saved us so much preparation time. . She also helped with a multitude of transportation needs for our four day event. She even knew tour guides that were great and knowledgeable in introducing the area to our many out of town guests. She handled all the details on a beautiful timeline and with complete grace - made the entire celebration seamless. And we need to mention her assistant Jan that helped all of us on the day of the wedding. She was wonderful with the details of lipstick - proper hydration- dress alignment etc....and she was wonderful to be with on that special day. So Rah Rah team Jane. We can't tank you enough!

Profile Picture User6014371, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: Wedding Planning
Services Used: Day-Of Coord., Full Planning, Timelines, To-Do Lists, Referrals, Ceremony, Reception, Military

In light of the number of weddings every year at the Naval Academy, weddings must take place at the Naval Academy Chapel without the help of Going to the Chapel, but, frankly, I cannot imagine how. My son was recently married at the Chapel, and aside from the decision as to his beautiful bride, the decision to engage Jane was the best decision made in connection with that day. Part of what makes a Naval Academy wedding so wonderful is that it is all bound up with tradition and military precision, and it was so helpful to have her assistance and experience. Jane is a retired United States Navy Commander and served as the protocol officer for the Chief of Naval Operations. Based upon those experiences, she was helpful at every stage of the wedding planning. She and her wonderful associate Jan Wise helped me with the choice of venue for and all the details relating to the rehearsal dinner, suggested vendors for transportation, flowers, videography and printing who were in each instance better and more reasonably priced than I could have hoped. We were guided every step of the way on wedding day which was important since timing is very tight.

From the beginning of our working relationship, Jane kept all the principals and vendors on task and on time with timelines and check-lists. Despite the numerous logistical and security factors involved with any Naval Academy wedding, approximately 150 guests were transported on and off the Yard without incident or delay, we were able to get as much time for photographs and videos as we needed, and the day went off without a single hitch.

I cannot strongly enough recommend Jane Richman, her associate, Jan Wise, and her wedding planning company Going to the Chapel. She helped us to plan this most unforgettable day with the knowledge, experience, attention to detail and discipline of a Naval officer, the familiarity with the Naval Academy of the wife of a USNA graduate, and the finesse and heart of a mother.

Profile Picture Madonna, 8/15/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Wedding Planning

Jane Richman of Annapolis Military Weddings is a retired Navy Commander and knows Navy/USMC protocol and traditions inside and out.

Jane has developed a proprietary checklist and uses it to keep track of the myriad of details (and there are hundreds for a destination wedding!), the person responsible, and the deadline for completion.
Jane is a stickler for protocol – that is her forte as she was at one point the protocol officer for the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO), the highest ranking officer in the Navy. A case in point is the sword arch at the end of the ceremony. Jane was particularly specific with respect to procedure and practice. Result? A perfect sword arch to top off the wedding ceremony! This is particularly noteworthy as any wedding at the USNA Chapel draws a crowd. Not only did we have the 125-150 involved in the Chapel ceremony but tourists gather to watch and take pictures – all told I would estimate 200-300 people gathered. Jane even arranged for guided bus tours of the Naval Academy and Annapolis for guests while the wedding party was engaged in formal photographs.

Jane was with us throughout the entire process – the year of pre-planning, the site visits, meetings with various vendors, the week leading up to the events, transporting flowers and table-scapes, keeping everyone on schedule, and a thorough pre-event meeting with parents, best man, maid of honor, and the bride and groom to go over every detail and every minute of the big day.

Our biggest takeaway – and perhaps the most important value in having Jane as your wedding planner – is her cadre of trusted and top notch vendors that she has worked with over the years. All her recommendations were spot on – photographer, caterer, rehearsal and reception venues, hair and make-up, music, flow

Profile Picture User5600530, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Wedding Planning

JANE IS WORTH HER WEIGHT IN GOLD. MUST HAVE for every Naval Academy Wedding!!! My husband and I are both USNA grads, I grew up in Annapolis, most of my family still lives there to include my mom who played a big roll in the plans since she was in Annapolis and I was not. We know the area very well and I didn't think I would need a wedding coordinator even though we were planning everything from Hawaii. I found Jane online by accident, set up a meeting and cannot say enough good things. All of her vendor recommendations were fantastic, she saved me so much time and stress, she's got everything down from military protocol to transportation to great relationships with vendors to welcome books to the sword arch to programs to schedules to literally anything you can think of she already has and worked out all the kinks. On top of all that she's extremely reasonably priced! If you're getting married at the USNA Chapel YOU NEED HER!

Profile Picture Kayla, 4/18/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Wedding Planning

I decided to use Jane Richman of Going to the Chapel as a wedding planner. Being a destination wedding, I needed someone who knew the ropes of coordinating a military wedding for 200 guests who were very unfamiliar with the military. She was much more than a planner. Jane was like a Fairy Godmother. We had most all of the vendors selected by the time we met Jane and I thought we would mostly use her for a day of coordinator. She did much more. She attended vendor meetings with us, some of which were last minute. She introduced me to Cink Art, and helped me finish my wedding invitations in a rush. She created beautiful programs for us, and incredible welcome books. The welcome books were a huge hit with our guests - it had restaurants, transportation, and other fun facts about Annapolis. It allowed my husband and I, as well as our parents, feel comfortable knowing that our guests had some guidance for their visit to Annapolis. She coordinated the transportation we had for our guests, and ensured the day of ran smoothly. She created a detailed day of schedule that was executed flawlessly. She even went to the store, mid reception, to get chicken soup for my Sister-in-Law, and bridesmaid, who ended up getting sick.

Having Jane by our side let us all enjoy the wedding. I didn't want my mom or my husbands mom worrying all day. Jane was able to step in and take care of things so we could all celebrate, relax, and enjoy the day. I would highly recommend her to anyone planning a Naval Academy wedding.

Profile Picture Lauren, 4/11/15, 9 Reviews
Category: Wedding Planning

My daughter chose Going to the Chapel full service package day. Because we live close to Annapolis and are familiar with the Naval Academy, I thought perhaps this was an expense we could forego. I was WRONG! Having access to Jane's expertise, in military protocol and wedding planning as needed for the duration of the planning, wedding day and after helped immeasurably so that my daughter had the wedding of her dreams.

If you plan to be marries at the Naval Academy chapel, first call the wedding scheduler at then Naval Academy to secure a date. As soon as you have a date scheduled, call Jane Richman of Going to the Chapel wedding planning, coordinating and much more so that you too can have the wedding you dream of with less stress and anxiety.

Profile Picture Jan, 2/28/15, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other), Wedding Planning

I cannot rave enough about Going to the Chapel. It was one of the best investments made on my wedding day! Planning an out-of-town wedding is stressful, so it was extremely useful to have Jane as our wedding planner. The USNA rules and guidelines are also very daunting, so to have someone that is familiar with the protocol and talk me through every step took away all of my anxiety! She has done several USNA weddings and also has the personal experience of her daughter's Annapolis wedding, therefore she is very familiar with the best area vendors and has wonderful suggestions and tips.

We hired her for the "day-of" services and she exceeded all expectations my parents and I could have ever imagined. She was responsible for recommending vendors (all of which were amazing), coordinating transportation, developing a timeline with all of the vendors and contacting them to ensure everyone is on the same page. The wedding day ran so smoothly and was absolutely flawless. She was the "go-to" person that handled all of the last minute details which allowed my mom and I to really enjoy the wedding day and not have to worry about anything. On the day of the wedding Jane came to the hotel room early in the morning to touch base with everyone, make sure we had everything we need, and deliver the flowers. She then was at the Chapel before, during and after the ceremony to direct guests to where they needed to be and ensure everyone had a ride to and from the ceremony. She stayed with my husband and I until we left the Naval Academy grounds and dropped us off at our hotel before the reception.

I would absolutely recommend Going to the Chapel to any bride getting married at the Naval Academy. Jane's experience and expertise is invaluable and will certainly help make everything leading up to your wedding day and the actual day itself so much less stressful and much more enjoyable knowing that she is there to do everything she can to make your day perfect!!

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 10/4/14, 7 Reviews
Category: Wedding Planning

We live in Pennsylvania, and when our daughter told us she was getting married at the U. S. Naval Academy, she was living in California. We wondered how we would arrange a wedding and reception in Annapolis. Then our daughter found out about Jane Richman of "Going to the Chapel." We hired her to help us plan the wedding, and are very glad we did. She was an enormous help in recommending venues and vendors, advising us on military protocol, organizing timelines, and making sure everything ran seamlessly on the big day. Her timelines and reminders throughout the planning process kept us organized and on track for the wedding day. Her presence on the wedding day, including training for the "Arch of Swords", was very reassuring and freed us to enjoy the events.

Profile Picture Randy and Joan, 9/7/13, 1 Review
Category: Wedding Planning

I am a father of the bride: We simply couldn't have done it so well without her! When I first met Jane I felt the weight and stress of the wedding and dealing with all the details just melt away. Jane's thoroughness and professionalism allowed me the comfort of "no stress." If you are planning on getting married at the Chapel at Annapolis you must get in touch with Jane. She does so much more than just wedding planning. We were trying to coordinate from NJ and CA, without Jane we would have had a very stressful time. She lined up vendors and events and helped with “destination wedding” particulars from the time guests arrived in Annapolis to their departure: things to do, maps, timelines, all in beautiful pamphlets that I am sure are going to be keepsakes. It was refreshing to deal with someone who got so much joy out of insuring ours. I could go on forever. How do you give someone a score of 6 out of 5?

Profile Picture Douglas, 6/22/13, 2 Reviews
Category: Wedding Planning

Six months into my one year deployment to Afghanistan, Sara and I became engaged and planned to marry at the Naval Academy Chapel with the reception at Alumni House.  Separated by military deployment, we needed someone who could provide Sara with direction and advice in planning our Naval Academy wedding.  By chance, we discovered Jane Richman and her unique skill set, background, and temperament became the priceless assets in the planning and execution of our wedding.  Jane worked tactfully and efficiently with all of our vendors, her administrative contributions were seemingly endless, and as a Navy wife she provided a wonderful role model for Sara.
A consummate professional, Jane planned for every contingency, handled problems calmly and discreetly, kept all wedding participants “in the loop,” and took over last minute wedding weekend details allowing us to spend time with family and friends.  Sara and I enjoyed every minute of our special day, blissfully unaware that Jane was dealing with late arriving guests, MIA sword bearers, and a lost diamond bracelet.  Everything was perfect and it was only after the wedding that we found out how she had truly saved the day.
Without the advice and services Jane Richman provided, our wedding would still have happened.  However, we firmly believe that it would have been marred with administrative shortcomings, inadequate “disaster response,” and would not have been nearly as creative and vibrant.
Without a doubt, her services are a bargain at any price!
LCDR Eric & Sara Brown

Profile Picture Sara, 10/15/11, 1 Review
Category: Favors & Gifts, Unique Services (Other), Wedding Planning

"Worth her weight in GOLD!" Jane was recommended to us by the photographer for our daughter's wedding. Our daughter, non-military, married a marine lietenant at the Naval Academy Chapel. There are many procedures (both security and logistical) to be followed including paperwork when one gets married at the Chapel: access and transportation to and from the yard, strict ceremony timelines, forms to be completed, and more. Jane's unique skills, military background, and repore with the Naval Academy are exceptional and MOST beneficial when planning a Naval Academy Chapel wedding. Our daughter felt such a sense of relief knowing Jane was at the helm coordinating the transportation for the guests on and off the yard, coordinating the florist and photographer with the Chapel coordinator and staff and training the 'Arch of Swords'. The wedding went off beautifully and memorably. She was a true blessing in every sense of the word! We thank her for all her hard work and dedication in helpijng to make Kimberly and Tyler's special day PERFECT!

Profile Picture Sharon , 10/13/12, 5 Reviews
Category: Wedding Planning

We were so grateful to have Jane recommended to us by our caterer. I work in public relations and have helped 3 of my sisters and countless friends plan their big day, so I knew I had all of the typical details covered. What I was missing was a knowledge of the Naval Academy's particular rules and protocol. From our first meeting with Jane, I knew that she was the missing piece in our wedding planning puzzle. Her advice on security, transportation and military protocol was invaluable! She helped us work through all of the minutia that can often get overlooked, but ultimately made our day perfect-- for us and our guests. Her support from the day we met, up until our big day was unwavering and most noticeable on the day before our wedding. We arrived at the reception site to drop off decor and flowers as scheduled, but when we arrived, the doors were locked and no one was present. Jane quickly tapped into her extensive Annapolis vendor network to call a friend who got in touch with the site manager. Within 10 minutes, we were inside the house and safely deposited the reception decor. Major crisis averted thanks to Jane! That was just one of many examples of how Jane helped make our wedding the most special day of our lives. If you are having a wedding at the Naval Academy, please give Jane a call. You will be glad you did!

Profile Picture Tracy, 6/2/12, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other), Wedding Planning

Going to the chapel is so unique since it is tailored specifically for military weddings. CDR (ret) Jane Richman knows the ins and outs of the Naval Academy and the city of Annapolis. Her expertise in protocol and her eye for details are key to her success, our day ran so smoothly that we didn't have to worry about a thing! I highly recommend her services for your big day!

Profile Picture Sian, 5/2/15, 1 Review
Category: Wedding Planning

Though our wedding day went off without a significant hitch, the process of
getting to that point was unduly stressful and I felt excessively expensive
for the service provided. Though Jane Richman is familiar
with the Naval Academy and a certain set of service providers, and certainly
understands and emphasizes formal military protocol throughout (to a fault),
both her personal fee and vendor fees were significant from my perspective.
On a personal note, Jane and I never developed a warm and trusting
relationship, though her assistant Jan was an encouraging and responsive
woman, whom I appreciated. Most direct contact with Jane was overwhelming,
frustrating, and stressful. Between the first day of initial coordination
with potential vendors and the final week flurry of preparation, she was not
responsive to my questions in the intervening period. Though on one level I
do appreciate her organizational skills and certainly the results, in
hindsight I should have passed on using a wedding coordinator and worked
directly with the vendors and the great USNA chapel staff.

Profile Picture User5187219, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews