Gamberdella Salon for Brides Reviews

Gamberdella Salon for Brides 6
Gamberdella Salon for Brides 7

3.8
      3.0

I wanted to like this place. My issue is with the alterations woman. When I ordered the dress, I said I didnt want strapless, because I dont want to have to keep pulling it up. She said she could make it fit flush with my skin at the top so it would not be a problem. At my fitting, I stressed my concerns because I could see straight down the dress. She added a ribbon inside the waist of the dress with clasps that sinched very tight to "hold the dress up". Every additional fitting was the same thing "ill make it tighter." I had no issue with the dress staying up... I told her it was already too tight (and I am a size 2), but the top was not right. I actually passed out for half an hour during the reception because I couldnt breath and we had to cut the ribbon cinch out of the dress!!! Her next solution was to try and convince me to let her add these ugly straps. She also did an awful job when she originally took in the top and the lace overlay was bulging out. When I asked her to fix it she said no-one would notice but she fixed it anyway. In the end, I had 2 cups sewn into the dress, plus my sticky gel bra, and I still had to hold my shoulders forward so I wasnt exposed. I almost went somewhere else 5 days before my wedding to see if they could fix the alterations.

Sent on 08/18/2012
  • JRuthie61011

Jenny · Married on 06/10/2011

3.8
      3.0

Let me start by saying I absolutely loved loved loved my dress. It was a beautiful Marisa gown. It was beautiful. It was originally out of my budget but my mother fell in love with it and it was the gown she picked and loved. So we ended up getting it. One thing though is that my alterations cost my $650. This was not something I was prepared to pay for. I feel it was their duty to warn me of the alteration costs. I dont know if it was just me being naive but I felt blind sided and I ordered the dress in June of 2010 and it came in January of 2011 so by that time when I did the first fitting and they told me the price it was too late to get another dress in time for my wedding on 6.10.11. The seamstress Eve is a little instense but she knows that shes doing and she was great. I had also ordered a custom sash which was suppose to come for my last fitting and it was not there. My last fitting was 10 days before the wedding and I was getting worried. It did arrive 4 days before the wedding and was perfect. I loved the experience at Gamberdellas but I did not like the fact that I was not warned about potential alteration costs and the girls who helped me were young and had told me when I asked them about alterations when I picked the dress that it would probably be around 300. I chalked it up to the fact that girls that helped me were relativley young and were obviously not familiar with the work involved when it came to alterationes. SO please brides to be ask to meet with the seamstress and discuss possible alteration costs before your purchase.

Sent on 08/22/2011

Patricia · Married on 12/27/2008

3.6
      3.0

My experience here was okay! I would put them well above any chain retailor like David's Bridal for sure, but you are also going to pay for it. Quality of there dresses is great, but the prices are high. At the start of the ordeal it seemed imperative that all the bridesmaids dressed were the same length from the ground, one of the bridesmaids dress ended up 3 inches off the ground! It came in like that! She is 5'9" and I guess her height was never taken into consideration, but this should have been thought of before because it looked a little ridiculous for a floor length $260 gown (before any alterations) was that short! Also, the top of her dress along with another girls was gaping open and the seamstress said it was fine, but it really wasn't, we asked to have the problem fixed. The service was good though and the gowns were beautiful, it was just a bit of a process getting everything right.

Sent on 01/21/2009

Krista · Married on 10/27/2012

3.4
      2.0

I gave the service a 5 because the seamstresses are amazing and make sure your dress is perfect!! Everyone else is sub par in this shop. Making an appointment was difficult even with my wedding coming up. At times I came in the shop and had to wait around for someone because no one was at the desk.

Sent on 10/30/2012

Patricia · Married on 08/29/2009

3.4
      3.0

I was a little disappointed with them. We called to see if we needed to make an appointment to pick up the wedding dress and they said no. However, when we got there (1 week before the wedding) the dress was not ready, so we had to go back the next day. Also, the dress my daughter picked out, was a made to your length dress. When the dress came in we still needed to have a hem put it, costing us another $150.00.

Sent on 09/04/2009

Joetta · Married on 04/02/2010

2.5

My dress from Gamberdella's was beautiful! My dress arrived very late though. No one at the salon seemed to have any idea where it was. They kept telling me that the designer needed more time, but I ordered my dress 1 year in advance. Once it did come in, the seamstress was incredible and easy to work with.

Sent on 05/21/2010

Michelle · Married on 09/19/2009

3.0

My dress from Gamberdella's was absolutely beautiful. However it did arrive about 2 months late, while this did not affect my wedding, for those 2 months no one at Gamberdella's could tell me where my dress actually was, I had to keep calling every week to see if anything had changed. It wasn't until I actually called the designer.. that Gamberdella's magically said my dress was on its way.
    The seamstress at Gamberdella's was wonderful, very efficient, and did a great job.

Sent on 10/14/2009

Catrisa · Married on 10/23/2010

2.0

My initial visit to Gamberdella's was wonderful and they helped me to find the perfect dress. Unfortunately as soon as I said 'yes to the dress' everything went downhill from there. I recommend you ask LOTS of questions before purchasing a dress about hem fees, rush shipment fees, how many bustles will you need and the cost. And unfortunately my bustles were so complicated that they didn't stay in for the reception and my dress got ruined. My dress was actually the biggest headache of my big day.

Sent on 05/25/2011

Bridget · Married on 05/20/2017

2.6
      2.0

I went to Gamberdella to look at dresses knowing my experience could go one of two ways . . . they have very mixed reviews. I arrived with actual magazine pictures and a Pinterest board. The girls who helped were nice to me, my mom, and my sister . . . and they helped me find the perfect dress - I loved it! At the end of appointment, however, I was really bummed out when I saw one girl motion the clicking of a camera and mouth the word "picture" and the other girl shook her head to indicate "No". I was a 41 year old bride so admittedly was self conscious about being an "older bride"; nonetheless, I was hurt. Their Facebook page indicates lots of pics of happy brides who "Say Yes to the Dress".
    I let go of my "hurt puppy" feelings and purchased the dress . . . then it all got worse. I was told my dress would arrive mid March - possible late March ( I ordered in early August) . It arrived April 17th - our wedding was May 20th. The seamstress was lovely, but I thought they could have given me a break on some of alteration costs considering I ordered dress in early August and it arrived very late - they didn't. I had to rush 3 fittings. At final fitting, they told my mom she could pick up May 18th. When my mom got there on May 18th, she had to wait outside for close to a half hour because there was no one in the shop - despite it being a time when they said and advertised they would be open.
    While I was grateful for expertise in helping me find my dress, the service, overall, isn't worth it.

Sent on 07/05/2017

Amy · Married on 08/01/2009

2.6
      3.5
      2.5

I felt like when I walked in, they would only show me the most expensive dresses...make sure to say that you have a price range...even if you don't. They refused to show me more than three dresses, swearing nothing would work as well as what I had on, they were pushy, and short on time. I ordered the dress nine months before the wedding, and my dress came in a month before the wedding and seven inches too short. They reordered the dress, and after a couple of alterations, the dress was ready three days before the wedding. I was a bit stressed about that, especially for all the money we paid. In the end, the dress was beautiful, but it was not the ideal experience of dress shopping.

Sent on 10/22/2009
  • User1120249 · 2+ years ago

2.4
      1.5

I wish I could give a better review for Gamberdella. I got a great price on a sample there, and I adored my dress. I didn't care that I couldn't browse; the dresses that Sarah brought me were all beautiful, in my price range, and flattering. Eve, the seamstress did a wonderful job on the alternations, which were $500.

My major complaint with Gamberdella is that they ordered the wrong veil for me. When we discovered it, we were already out of town for the wedding, and Mary told my mother she understood which veil we'd intended to order but that she didn't have it. I have not since received an apology, a refund, or any contact at all. Now, the wrong veil will not ruin your wedding, but I adored the veil I ordered, and I would have expected better service from them. I handed the veil that I wanted to the woman at the counter when I ordered it, so if there was a mistake, it certainly wasn't mine. Customers don't order their own veils, so I have no idea how they could make such a mistake, but you would have thought that they would have at least sent a note to apologize.

Sent on 04/15/2011
  • User2719531 · 2+ years ago

0.5

I was excited to make an appointment, called the store, and the girl who answered was so unfriendly, lacked personality, and sounded as though she could care less if I came in or not. Well, I'm planning on spending some serious money so why should I waste my time going to a place that treats their customers off the bat like they could care less? First impressions last!!

Sent on 10/17/2012

Gamberdella Salon for Brides's reply:

Sorry for the seemingly lack of excitement when you called. We are always excited to meet a new bride and look forward to meeting you and changing your first impression. Please give us a call back and schedule an appointment. When you call ask for me and I will personally take care of you. Mary

1.0

I'm honestly shocked by the high reviews for Gamberdella. I was beyond disappointed by my experience. I felt so uncomfortable, rushed, and not listened to. I was in and out within 15 minutes and I felt anxious the entire time (and I am not an anxious person). When I entered, while still standing in my coat, they asked what I wanted. Maybe I shouldn't have started with, "I have a dress to beat." They said 'We'll beat it!" and as I told them what I was looking for, I felt like they weren't even listening. They ushered me into a room with my mom, sister, and grandmother and told me to put on a (previously used) robe. Then they brought in 5-6 dresses that were NOTHING like what I wanted. They asked me to step into a dress - surrounded by my family, so good thing I'm not shy. It was awful - and not even close to what I said I was looking for. I said it was a July wedding so I didn't want anything heavy. So they brought me in a bridesmaid dress that came in white and "would be perfect for the beach." The thing is - I'm not getting married on the beach. I'm just getting married in the summer. As they left to find more, I told my family I wanted to leave. I was uncomfortable and annoyed. The entire thing was so hectic. Two of the younger girls looked like they wanted to offer more help, but the woman leading the appointment (I never even got her name), was a tornado in and out of the room. Luckily, the staff came in to say they didn't have what I was looking for. Truer words were never spoken. I was so surprised by how impersonal the entire experience was. And on top of that, all the dresses looked 10 years old. I would not recommend. at all.

Sent on 11/17/2014

Maureen · Married on 08/07/2010

3.5
      2.0

I purchased my dress here only because I already knew the exact dress I wanted (which was being discontinued) and they happened to carry it. They were able to give me an extraordinary deal on the dress (over half off what another store had offered) but that is where the quality ended. The dress (a sample) had been altered and we were assured that it would be fixed back to the way it was originally. We were told that should there be any logistical problems with repairing the dress, the designer would be contacted directly. However, once we purchased the dress, things changed. We were told the dress "looked better" that way, "probably never was" (the way it had been when I'd tried it on before, in photos, on the designer's website, etc), and that the designer couldn't be contacted because of a language barrier. Essentially, we were told we were wrong over and over again. It took a lot of research, convincing, and persistence to get the dress back to the way it was supposed to be & we were charged for it. It was stressful (at one point I nearly took the dress as-is and left)& I wouldn't recommend this salon. On the other hand, I'm not sure of a salon that isn't stressful when you're making such a hefty purchase coupled with a major life event!

Sent on 08/17/2010

Jennifer · Married on 09/18/2015

1.8
      2.0

This was not the typical bridal experience. No privacy to change and then come out to show my family member- we were all in the same room as I tried on dresses. Also, the sizes all ran very small. I am a size 10 to 12 in normal clothes and not one dress fit me. It is hard to really get an idea of how the dress will look if it is too small. Customer service was fair- not the most friendly. I felt uncomfortable the entire visit. I would not recommend this vendor- there are so many other bridal shops with more selection and a higher level of customer service.

Sent on 06/03/2015

Gamberdella Salon for Brides's reply:

Jen, we are sorry to hear about your experience. We, at Gamberdella's, are always striving for ways to improve. Thank you for expressing your opinion, we have taken your words into careful consideration. We apologize for the experience! Gamberdella Salon for Brides
  • Genevieve

Genevieve · Married on 05/31/2008

1.8
      1.5

When I first went into Gamberdellas, I was impressed with the great service, attention, and ability to help me find the dress that I was comfortable in and loved. And I did love my wedding dress--it was well fitted and exactly what I was looking for. The woman that helped me, Sharon, me had a lot to do with that, and she is the one that will be taking over the business when Mary retires. Both she and Mary were great about giving names of other vendors to me that day.

That was where the great service ended, however. I bought the dress where I was going to have the wedding, in Maryland, but I live in California. I flew back a month ahead of the wedding to have the dress fitted. I had even called ahead to ensure that they were aware of that, and that the dress would be there. When I got to BWI, I received a message saying that they didn't have the dress and wouldn't for another several weeks (the dress maker had hemmed the dress incorrectly and it had to be completely remade at the factory). This meant rushing the fitting in the final week before the wedding (which was particularly stressful since I had bought the wrong kind of bra and had to go scouring several stores to find the right one when I was supposed to be doing all the other last minute things, the seamstress had a baby granddaughter on the way and might not be able to be there, etc. etc.). There was no offer and no negotiation regarding the fact that I was there and the dress was not. This dress was expensive, and part of paying so much means that the service should be impeccable, not just on the sell, but also in the follow through.

Sent on 01/05/2009

Misty · Married on 06/28/2008

1.6
      2.0

Wedding dress shopping is supposed to be fun because you try on various styles, colors, etc.; this was not the case during my visit. There practice is to have you tell them what you envision, your proposed budget, and they go into the back and pick a handful of dresses. I wasn't allowed to look through the racks. I was only allowed to try on what they brought me (four dresses). The dresses I tried on were beautiful, but ranged from $3k - $7k, which was more then my budget ($2.5k - $3k).

Go to Betsy Robinsons in Pikesville! They have a tremendous selection of silk/satin dresses and the first thing out of my helper’s (Vera) mouth was, “Let’s go have some fun.” I know four other women who bought their wedding dress from Betsy Robinsons and had the same enjoyable experience.

Sent on 07/08/2008

Lauren · Married on 04/29/2017

1.6
      1.5

I had heard great things about Gambardella’s; however I had a sub-par experience using their salon for my wedding dress. The administration that went into placing the order for my dress turned out to be very unprofessional and disorganized. Despite paying for my dress in full almost a year prior to my wedding date, the store forgot to place the order leaving little time for alternations and unethically leaving me no time to find an alternative option for alterations. After the fact I read other consumer reviews only to find that the store has done this to other customers. It seems that they order dresses late forcing customers to use their alteration services. I would not recommend Gambardella’s for your wedding gown experience. For the amount of money you are spending on this purchase you deserve more.

Sent on 02/16/2017

Dashielle · Married on 10/16/2015

0.6
      0.0

I was shocked at how poorly my fellow bridesmaids and I were treated. I can confirm other reviews saying that they felt fat-shamed-- they had a minuscule selection of size 14 and up dresses, and when I inquired I was told that samples just don\'t come in that size. While I understand the concept of the sample size, most salons offer a wide variety of sizes so anyone can try on dresses and get a good idea of how they will look. The other salons I\'ve gone to have all been much more accommodating. I managed to find a dress I loved anyway, and ordered it. It was gorgeous, and I was happy to spend the money. However, I would have expected a modicum of customer service in return-- that\'s the point of being in the service industry, no? The dresses took twice as long as estimated to come in, and when we called to inquire as the wedding date approached, the owner would answer us with an audible sigh of annoyance. She always acted like we were being unreasonable burdens. My bride was so stressed out by her interactions with the owner that she was repeatedly brought to tears. I think that\'s unforgivable.

Sent on 10/26/2015

Dhorn,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. After 40 years in business we are always striving for ways to improve and have taken your words into careful consideration. Currently we are looking to expand our sample size collection to ensure a better experience for all. Again we apologize for the experience and hope the wedding turned out beautifully.

Sincerely,
    Gamberdellas Bridal

0.5

I did not have a good experience with Gamberdella's. As a bride, I chose for my girls to wear Bill Levkoff gowns in Victorian Lilac and my maid of honor in Eggplant. Gamberdella's had Bill Levkoff's to try on the day we were shopping. Upon arrival, we were not greeted warmly, or helped very much. We helped ourselves and found the gowns we wanted and decided to order them that day. Huge mistake. We were quoted 15 weeks and the gowns took over 20 to come in which was really cutting it close to my date especially since we needed to have them altered.

There was not a lot of communication between Gamberdella's and my ladies. Most, not all, of the interactions were dealt with poorly in their end. I myself spoke with a woman a few times who was short and very rude to me even though I was returning her phone call.

One of my bridesmaids fit into one size, and let Mary talk her into paying an extra $50 for an even larger size "just in case" which she really did not want to do, but paid the $50 anyway. She lost a whole bunch of weight and ended up paying for the larger dress, and a whole lot to have it altered in so much. I felt like that bridesmaid got ripped off and was treated very poorly, which is a shame, since it would have been cheaper to go with a large corporate place like David's Bridal (where I bought my gown, incidentally and we could have gotten a discount because of that). So much for going with the ma & pa place!

I requested swatches of the girls dress colors, which took a very long time to arrive, and when they did, the Victorian Lilac was correct, but they gave me Plum instead of Eggplant, which was very inconvenient for planning the groomsmen attire, decor and other things having to do with color.

The price was fair, but waiting that long for dresses, getting poor customer service and the wrong color swatches made me regret the decision to choose Gamberdella's to have anything to do with my wedding planning experience. Would not recommend.

Sent on 10/26/2015

Shacora · Married on 06/14/2014

0.5

My experience with Gamberdellas has been terrible. I ordered a dress for my anniversary party, which I rushed just to ensure I would have it in plenty of time. I was told I could pay a $50 rush delivery fee and the dress would be delivered within 5 weeks as opposed to the normal 8 week delivery time. When the 5 weeks passed, I contacted the shop to locate my dress, to which the owner Mary responded, "you will have a dress in time why are you worried". I explained that I paid additional money to ensure that my dress would be here in plenty of time. She essentially called me a liar, so I had to retrieve receipts and contact my sister who was there with me the day I ordered. After all that she remembered I had paid the additional fee for a rush, but then changed her story to I never told you 5 weeks. This has been a terrible experience and I would certainly not recommend this shop if you want a stress free experience.

Sent on 05/21/2014
  • Erica

Erica · Married on 10/05/2012

0.5

RUN!! Gamberdella's ruined my wedding dress. I purchased my wedding dress here and they ended up ordering the wrong size. We kept telling the owner and the seamstress that it was too big, however, they kept assuring us that they " dealt with this all the time" and that they would make it fit like a glove. After 10 plus fittings, they made one final alteration the night before my wedding and destroyed my wedding dress. It was so bad that the owner admitted it was not fixable and that I would have to wear a sample gown that they had. I didn't get to wear my own wedding dress on my wedding day and I will never get the opportunity to. They ended up having to clean the sample dress and fit it to me the morning of my wedding. They STILL altered it wrong and I ended up not being able to wear a corset under my dress leaving it gaping in the chest area in my wedding photos. Please don't risk you wedding day here - go somewhere else!

Sent on 11/03/2012

0.2
      0.0

Don't go here!!!!! We ordered our bridesmaids dresses from here back in May and they just came in. Now that they are finally here we ALL have to have them completely reconstructed because the sizes try ordered us are about 5-6 sizes too big, for all 6 girls!!!! And they were the ones who measured us. We drive three hours to this shop just to get measured and that's it! It wasn't the bridal experience we were hoping for that's for sure! They wouldn't return our calls when we would call and ask about the dresses and even told one of our bridesmaids that the dresses had been shipped when in actuality they weren't even finished making the dresses yet. This shop has made our experience nothing but stressful and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!!!!

Sent on 08/13/2013

Elaine · Married on 11/14/2009

0.0

Horrible service, horrible attitude, over priced and poor quality gown. I don't think they care a thing about repeat business. My daughters brides maid gown zipper broke during the ceremony! We had to safety pin it together so it would stay on her. For over $300 you would think it would last at least through the reception. The manager tried to say my daughter must have insisted they alter it be too tight!!! The nerve!!!! She only wears a size zero and has no need to have them make the dress tight. I have never been more pissed off with a store ever.The manager was extremely nasty when she finally called me back after I left several messages. I took the dress back and all they would do was replace the zipper. That was the first week in Dec. It's now Feb. 24th and I haven't heard a word from them. The customer service sucks at this shop. Go some where else!!!!!!

Sent on 01/24/2010