Expressway Music NYC DJ's Reviews

95 Reviews for Expressway Music NYC DJ's

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

95 Expressway Music NYC DJ's Reviews

Mia · Married on 05/17/2014

David was the most amazing professional DJ for our wedding. Our guests were on the dance floor nonstop for hours with a great mix of pop and R & B and terrific segues to and from the special moments and special songs we had planned for the night.

I would recommend him for any event you wish to be first class, classy, and fun. First of all, David listens; he asks a lot of questions to discern what you want and don't want in terms of style and tone, so much more than simple lists of songs. He is really a designer of sound.

Not that we weren't a challenge. Ours was a Jewish-Italian wedding which included both a male and female vocalist during the evening, and David segued everything flawlessly. Hora to tarantella and then later on to hot dance tunes even supplying the backing track to the female singer during the cake cutting. Ours was also a black tie affair and he arrived dressed formally as well, coming way early to set up and so we had no worries about the music at all. We really enjoyed our wedding, thanks to David and his assistant and Expressway Music.

Daniel · Married on 02/16/2014

Expressway Music is a terrific company, top to bottom, for handling your event's musical needs. For our wedding in February 2014, my wife and I knew we should hire David and his company after our first interaction. He had been recommended by a friend who had hired David for his own wedding, and he (correctly) told us that we couldn't go wrong with a DJ who has David Bowie and Outkast album covers on his office walls. He was right.

David and his staff (who were always professional, courteous and helpful) set the tone perfectly right from the moment we sat down for our first chat. He understood our rather diverse musical tastes immediately. He let us think through each section of the wedding day and what kind of mood we were hoping to set. And while he encourages a limited number of requests, he is able to perfectly read the crowd to get or keep everyone dancing. He also goes the extra mile, as we had selected for our first dance a song that we could only find online, in a live performance YouTube clip. He cleaned up the track and made my wife's day as she got to dance to the perfect version of her favorite song.

I can't recommend Expressway Music and David Swirsky highly enough!

We hired David from Expressway Music for our wedding, and he was great.
    We had an international wedding that included music from Latin America and the Middle East. We also wanted hip hop music, as well.
    I am not sure how he did it, but he combined all of these styles in such a way that basically everyone attending our wedding danced all night long. It really was incredible.

Kristine · Married on 06/21/2013

I found David from Expressway Music through the preferred vendor list of my venue. My husband and I initially wanted a live band but ultimately felt that a DJ would work better for the space. When I met with David, I immediately felt like he was a perfect choice for our wedding.

David is extremely enthusiastic about his work and is also very knowledgeable about music. My husband is especially picky with music, and the two hit it off immediately. We met with David two weeks before the wedding and went through what types of music we wanted to hear during the cocktail hour, dinner and dancing. He also provided us with really good suggestions for the father/daughter and mother/son dances.

I like that David doesn't just ask you to pick a bunch of songs off of a list. He actually pays attention to the crowd at the wedding and chooses music from your desired genres based on the mood of the guests. Everyone had an amazing time and no one left the dance floor until the wedding was over. He caters to all age groups seemlessly so no one feels left out of the dancing, and he also makes sure to keep the volume of music at a perfect volume so as not to overpower guests from having conversations.

Overall, I felt that David was extremely professional and so easy to work with. We had a great time at our wedding thanks to David's music choices and I would absolutely recommend him to other couples.

Sent on 07/13/2013

Expressway Music NYC DJ's's reply:

Thank you! I LOVED DJ'ing your wedding and Kathleen at Endlessly Elated was also so great to work with. Thank you both again so much!

Nancy · Married on 10/13/2012

We knew that DJ Dave and Expressway DJ was the right fit after we personally met Dave at his office. We immediately liked his friendly, warm attitude and his extensive knowledge of all the types of music that we wanted. He made us feel comfortable and we liked his sense of humor. After 2 meetings with us, he was so receptive to any requests and mind you any last minute changes that we had right before the wedding.
    The day of the wedding, he really nailed it!! Thoughout the evening, we had so many people come up to us to say that the music was great. Even my Korean parents friends LOVED the music! Dave was a great MC as well, and always announced everything with elegance and never cheesy.
    He kept the dance floor full! My dad even danced- which was a rare site! Thank you so much Dave for making our wedding a night that we'll never forget!
    I highly recommend Dave for a fun, classy and elegant night! Thank you so much!
    From, Nancy and John Galiski

Jennifer · Married on 09/23/2012

Our DJ was David Swirsky and he was a pleasure to work with from beginning to end. He DJ'ed during our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception. During our first consultation, he really listened to us and understood what kind of music experience we were looking for. We wanted a mix of American, Chinese, Russian, and video game music, and David was very enthusiastic about helping us with that. The booking process was easy, and Charissa (the office administrator), was very pleasant to work with. David and Charissa both were quick to respond via email to any questions that we had. The company website also has a wedding planning form that was very helpful. David met with us again the week before the wedding to go over all the details and make sure that we were all on the same page, which we really appreciated. He had mentioned in our first meeting that he was very detail-oriented, which resonated with me and put me at ease because I'm also very detail-oriented!

It was so great to hear some of our favorite music being played, and David did an excellent job with the rest of the music selection. The music was definitely audible but not too loud during dinner, so that we didn't have to shout to be heard, and even during dancing it seemed to be just the right volume (loud enough to be fun, but not ear-splitting). My husband and I are not dancers ourselves, but I know our dancing guests had a great time!

David's services were a little outside of our budget range, but we decided to splurge and book him. It was well worth it! I highly recommend Expressway Music to anyone looking for DJ services (they have other DJs with different price ranges), and would personally recommend David Swirsky!

I had so much fun dancing at my wedding! Dave listened to what we wanted and played the best song list. Everyone was dancing - even my older relatives who I have never seen dance before. Dave was able to read the crowd well and knew when to play which kinds of songs. I really enjoyed working with him and his team. They made the process easy and fun. I would definitely recommend him for a wedding or any event where you want people to dance.

matt · Married on 02/22/2010

DJ David Swirsky is a great dj and make you want to dance, and played all my fav music!

Jamie · Married on 02/02/2010

On time, great job what more could a married woman ask for.

Elisha · Married on 07/01/2016

David and team were a pleasure to work with and did a great job at our wedding on July 1st. The music from start to finish was what we had hoped for. He knew how to play to the crowd and mix it up for all ages and tastes. Truly a great night that we'll never forget.

Thanks David!

• User5519889 · 2+ years ago

Dave was our DJ and he was AMAZING! Not only did he do everything incredibly well for us (our announcements, our must plays, etc.) but our guests LOVED him! Everyone had a great time dancing- the music was a perfect mix of oldies and newer hits (which is exactly what we wanted). Not only was Dave great, but Charissa, who helped us with a song edit we needed for our father/daughter dance and all of the organizing, was so friendly and knowledgeable! I definitely recommend!

Meaghan · Married on 10/11/2013

David [and Expressway Music] were the perfect DJ for us and our wedding. David worked hands-on with us to understand not only our personal music tastes, but also the tastes of our guests. His assistant even helped me find an instrumental cover of a song that I ended up walking down the aisle to. We hired Expressway Music for our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception, and the transition of music from each space was seamless. During our reception, David really kept the energy up the whole night, and everyone had an amazing time at our wedding -- the dance floor was filled for pretty much the entire night!!

He even went out of his way to help my now-husband surprise me with a singing performance (cover) of a Death Cab for Cutie song, accompanied by my cousin's boyfriend, on the acoustic guitar. It was an amazing moment that everyone is still talking about! This is a professional operation and David will work hard to ensure everyone has an amazing time celebrating at your wedding -- whatever kind of wedding you want to have.

Darryl · Married on 07/17/2010

Dave, the owner of Expressway Music, was our wedding day DJ and he was fantastic!! He did everything we asked of him (which was mostly make sure everyone was having a good time,) is a great guy, very easy to work with and a wonderful business man.
    He was amazingly flexible, professional, worked with us on all different types of wedding stressors, and really made our wedding an awesome PARTY!! One guest even said that it "was the best wedding he has ever been to." And I know that Dave had alot to do with that.
    He read the crowd, made great choices for dinner music, didn't leave a song playing that wasn't getting a good response, and was very helpful in guiding us through the logistics of how the wedding ceremony and reception were going to go.
    There were a few minor hiccups along the way, due to small lapses in communication on both ends, but all in all Dave exceeded my expectations!
    I am a real believer in you get what you pay for and that you leave the specifics up to the experts - my husband and I let Dave choice the music that worked best at that moment and it was obvious that he really knows his craft. I would stop my search for your Wedding Day DJ and hire David Swirsky immediately!

• User2121705 · event on: 12/02/2011

Great DJ. will def use again. highly recommended

Sarah · Married on 06/22/2008

3.5

David Swirsky was our DJ. We saw him at a wedding a year before ours and really enjoyed his style and approach to wedding entertainment. He checked with us on requested songs, kept the talking to a minimum (which we wanted) and has a really easy to use online song-database where you can create your own playlist for your event. He and his harpist, Christie, were prompt, professional and polite.

Erica · Married on 10/10/2014

3.5

We had Yan play the violin at our ceremony and Michael play piano at our reception. They both did an excellent job. Everything went very smoothly from a logistical perspective, and they both adhered to the preferences we had communicated.

However, we planned the wedding from overseas, and we sometimes found that the people on the admin side were not great at acknowledging/responding to emails in a timely manner.

Sent on 10/22/2014

Expressway Music NYC DJ's's reply:

Hi Erica...thank you for your email just now(below) and thank you for saying that i responded perfectly 99% of the time...I did not get the email you referred to. If i had i would've gotten back to you right away!!!! Thank you!! Charissa From: Erica Krasity [mailto:ekrasity@gmail.com] Sent: Monday, November 3, 2014 11:47 AM To: David Swirsky Cc: Jonathan Andrews; Mom Subject: RE: 10/10/14 wedding Hi Charissa, Overall I think you guys were great and you were very responsive 99% of the time. I was referring to emailing my list of preferences for music and not getting a response and then having to send them again. I'll forward you the original unacknowledged email for clarification. Maybe it also ended up in junk mail? (It may be a gmail client issue.)

Anne · Married on 09/26/2009

4.2
      3.5

David is extremely personable and knowledgeable about all genres of music. Has an online request database and planning form that is extremely helpful. Played the music we requested and the additions he made were crowd pleasers. He really did a wonderful job on a most memorable night! The dance floor was packed all night long and there was definitely something for everyone. I wish I could have danced every dance! We also had 2 percussionists and they created a semi-live feel that really added to the atmosphere. He's a little more than your average d.j. but you get a level of class and professionalism where you really don't have to worry about the music the whole night. Highly recommend!

• amurphynyc

Allison · Married on 04/30/2011

2.8
      2.0

Overall, I suppose my experience with DJ Sean at Expressway Music was pretty good. He was a really nice guy and kept everyone on the dance floor all night. I'm sure I was the only one that noticed the mishaps, but there were a couple major hiccups that I wasn't expecting. First, he played the wrong song for our first dance, which left us standing there for a while, awkwardly, after we had been announced. He did eventually get it right, but the reason I hired a dj was for this very reason. Any of my friends could have just pressed play on our iPod more effectively than this! Second, he came up to me in the middle of the reception and said he didn't have the song we requested for the father/daughter dance, so I ended up frantically running around trying to download it from someone's iPhone for him. Needless to say, he should have taken care of this well before. The final straw was when he had no recollection of the conversation we had with him about how we wanted to give the bouquet to the longest-married couple instead of tossing it to the single ladies. We came over and had to explain it AGAIN to him on the spot. I feel bad posting a negative review for such a nice guy, but I just wouldn't want anyone else to experience this without a heads up. That being said, they did have some very good pricing, so maybe you just get what you pay for.

Sent on 06/12/2011

`

Jackie · Married on 03/12/2016

2.6
      1.0
      1.5

This review is solely for their harpist, we didn't use the DJ services. If it weren't for Charissa, who does all of the coordination for Expressway, we would have cut ties with them before our wedding. To back up a bit, we had calls and/or walk-throughs scheduled with our DJ, caterer, etc. before the wedding. We thought it best to make sure everyone was on the same page, so we asked Charissa if we could have a short call with the harpist, and to ask her suggestion on a song. For the call itself, after joining about 12 minutes late to a 15 minute call, the harpist was clearly driving and getting in and out of her car. There were many noises in the background, it was hard to hear her and she wasn't concentrating on our call. We'd sent an email before which she hadn't read through, and she seemed confused as to why the call was happening. She acted like the call was unnecessary and was blatantly rude. Tensions were rising, and my usually cool-headed fiance got irritated, we were paying her money and she could care less about doing her job professionally. When it got impossible to hear her, he said let's reschedule the call. Charissa promptly called us and promised to make things right, sending us links to song options, and promising the harpist would be prompt on the wedding day. At the wedding she was prompt and played fine. She had the nerve, however, to come up to me before my husband and I were about to make our entrance into the reception and say, "can you hear me now?!" I realized she meant because we'd gotten irritated on the call over her lack of professionalism. To come up to me in the middle of my wedding and do this was uncalled for. All in all, she did her job and did a good job of it. Personality-wise, I will never hire her again. Charissa I must say though had given us her personal cell phone in case anything had gone wrong over the weekend, and followed up on Monday following the wedding to make sure all went okay. She seemed to go above and beyond.

Sent on 05/20/2016

Expressway Music NYC DJ's's reply:

Hi Jackie, OMG! I'm so sorry that you didn't have a good experience with Syl! :( :( English is not her first language which is why Charissa got involved in the call. Typically we relay the clients wishes/requests to her and she shows up and plays. Thank you for pointing out that she did a good Job and that Charissa was so helpful. We PRIDE ourselves on our Musicians (and customer service) and in the very, very rare case when a client isn't satisfied that really weighs heavily on us which is why i am refunding 1/2 syl's fee back to you. I hope that helps.Please feel free to contact me directly anytime if you would like to discuss more. Thank you! David Swirsky/Owner

G · Married on 09/04/2010

2.2
      3.0

Don't be fooled by how professional Expressway music appears to be.Though they have a great client facing attitude, they ultimately cannot deliver on the services they promise. I hired them to DJ, handle lighting, and play our ceremony music for our wedding last September and was shocked at how many mistakes were made:
    -First, they played the WRONG SONG while our wedding party was walking down the aisle
    - Second, they were incapable of properly setting up the sound system so that music (and speeches) could be heard at proper volume. The music for our outdoor cocktail hour was too soft and the groom had to ask them to turn it up. Also, after we moved inside, no one could hear the groom's speech because the sound system inside also wasn't properly set up
    - They convinced us that they would be able to provide cool club like lighting, but the lighting towers they brought were an eyesore and made the place look like a cheesy bar mitzvah
    - There was no real DJing done -- no fading in and out of tracks, mixing, or reading the crowd -- it just sounded like someone put on an iPod and hit
    play.
    - The made a huge deal out of customizing our song list, but they didn't even get through our "MUST PLAY" list and despite the fact that we gave them a list of over 100 songs we liked, there were still songs played that we hated / didn't recognize.
    - Though they were responsive before we went into contract with them, they went RADIO SILENT the week of our wedding and we had to hunt them down to discuss important logistics of the day.

For how much they charge, brides would be way better off going with a different DJ company.

Sent on 04/01/2011

Expressway Music NYC DJ's's reply:

We care deeply about every client and every event we do (as can be seen by many other 5 star reviews here). Our DJ told us that the dance floor was full all evening without pause. He was quite shocked by this posting he said guests were sweating the third hour into the wedding from dancing so much. We are very sorry this client didn't have a good experience but it wasn't from a lack of professionalism or caring. He was given a list of hundreds of songs and played almost only songs from this list.This is the first negative review we've had for this dj(he's been with us for over 10 years). He consistently gets AMAZING reviews.