89 Reviews for Expressway Music NYC DJ's

Do-Not-Play List (1)
Microphones (1)
Uplighting (1)
88 Expressway Music NYC DJ's Reviews

I had so much fun dancing at my wedding! Dave listened to what we wanted and played the best song list. Everyone was dancing - even my older relatives who I have never seen dance before. Dave was able to read the crowd well and knew when to play which kinds of songs. I really enjoyed working with him and his team. They made the process easy and fun. I would definitely recommend him for a wedding or any event where you want people to dance.

Profile Picture User2649431, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: DJ

David Swirsky and his team are the best! We are so happy with our choice. David has an extensive music knowledge and library. But perhaps the most important factor was that it was clear from our first meeting that he doesn’t just play his favorite music. He spent the time to understand our taste in music, and he also knows how to read the crowd. Our party really felt like it was just for us. He and his team were extremely easy to work with, professional, helpful and fun. He kept all of us on our feet the entire night!! We could not have asked for a better DJ!!

Profile Picture Diana, 9/7/12, 3 Reviews
Category: DJ

David and his team were a pleasure to work with from start to finish. They were always responsive and reliable. He took care of every little detail, we didn't have to worry about anything with him. He was an excellent DJ who read the crowd well, played everything we requested and kept the flow of the party perfectly.

Profile Picture Rebecca, 9/1/12, 8 Reviews
Category: DJ

The DJ we had from the company was professional, introduced himself right away, took care of everything, and played a perfect mix of music for us. He played a great blend of requested songs and music that kept everyone happy!

Profile Picture Marie, 8/18/12, 4 Reviews
Category: DJ

Dave was a super easy to work with. He followed our very specific requests for do not play (which wasn't an easy task); he was flexible during the wedding when things went off schedule. He followed up in a timely manner (emails, calls). He worked with our vendors (venue, celebrant, photographer, and caterer) super well. Most importantly he kept all guests dancing all night long! Nice guy and great DJ – definitely recommend him hands down.

Profile Picture ina , 8/17/12, 6 Reviews
Category: DJ

We hired David to DJ at our June 2012 wedding, and we couldn't have been more pleased. He had such a nice energy about him and was so easy to work with during the planning stages. I must admit that I spent the majority of the wedding reception on the dance floor, and that's a testament to how good a job David was doing with the music selection. When he tells you that he can read the crowd and sense what will make them get up, he's totally telling the truth. Everybody was dancing and it was so much fun!! I recommend David 100% for your event and would hire him again in an instant.

Profile Picture Joanne, 6/16/12, 1 Review
Category: DJ

Dave is an absolute gem. From the first day we met with him he was warm and welcoming. His highest priority is to provide you with the ambiance of the wedding of your dreams. At our wedding he balanced his music choices ranging from the 60s to recent hits, which got literally every single guest on their feet. One of my friends asked me if we put aphrodisiacs in the drinks, because every couple looked like they had fallen in love for the first time. Dave created that ambiance. Could not have asked for a better DJ. To boot, he has an infectious positivity that seeps into everybody. The entire time he works he has an enormous grin on his face. You cannot help but be happy in his presence. He absolutely gets our highest recommendation.

Profile Picture Connor, 6/2/12, 15 Reviews
Category: DJ

We hired Expressway Music, specifically DJ Alberto, for our wedding on June 2, 2012 at The Foundry, L.I.C. and could not have been happier! This company is very well run and professional. From start to finish they were extremely responsive and no detail was left undone. The price was fantastic for the level of service we received.

As mentioned above we went with DJ Alberto. What an amazing guy! From the moment we met him we knew he was our DJ. He was so concerned with making sure the music spoke to our style but also made sure something was played for everyone. His announcements were very professional and he kept the dance floor packed all night long! Alberto was very responsive and open to all ideas that we had. He was even very cool about our “do not play” list and even took it a step further to clear all requests with me or my husband the day of the wedding. His personality is so radiant and his professionalism is incredible. If you want your guests dancing all night and walking out the door with some swag then DJ Alberto is your man!

Profile Picture Marian, 6/2/12, 4 Reviews
Category: DJ

We have DJ Dave to thank for helping us throw such an amazing, unforgettable wedding reception. I would never have predicted that our family and friends would not get off the dance floor but that is exactly what happened. (And on a Sunday evening!) Dave put together such a fantastic soundtrack that guests could not resist. We have had so many people tell us that they have not had that much fun in a long time.. It was such great feedback to hear. Dave was right on cue about song selection, timing, mood, volume, etc throughout the entire night – cocktail hour was mellow, dinnertime music was appropriate, and the post-dinner dance party was perfect apparently. I can’t express how much fun we had that night – and the atmosphere that Dave set had so much to do with that. (My husband and I were even able to sit and eat dessert while the party continued on the dance floor!)
I have to say that researching DJ’s was tough for us as it’s not something you can taste, sample, or view in a look book. However, once we met Dave we hit it off immediately. He is so nice, professional, passionate about music, and trusting. He received rave reviews from our other vendors who see him in action regularly and now I know why! Thanks so much, Dave to you and your terrific staff.

Profile Picture Annie, 4/29/12, 2 Reviews
Category: DJ

David at Expressway Music was a pleasure to work with! He met with us before the wedding and really listened to what we wanted in terms of music. At the wedding itself, everyone had so much fun- David played a great selection of songs, and literally got some of our eldest guests out there on the dance floor!! Go David!!! His Bose speakers were very impressive- our only complaint were at one point, they were so impressive that it was a bit hard to hear conversation over them- but when we went up to him and asked him to lower the music a little, he was great about doing that. David is a huge part of why our wedding was such a fantastic day- would definitely recommend him.

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 4/14/12, 4 Reviews
Category: DJ

DJ Alberto with Expressway Music did an excellent job. After spending a little time with us, he knew exactly what type of music we were looking for during the cocktail hour and reception. His music and enthusiastic energy had the guests on the dance floor until the very end. Our guests commented on the great music provided by DJ Alberto. We will definitely be recommending the services of Expressway Music and DJ Alberto to family and friends.

Profile Picture James, 12/3/11, 5 Reviews
Category: DJ

David Swirsky from Expressway Music DJ'd our wedding back in September, and it couldn't have been better! When we met him, we were sold. Hiring David was one of the best decisions we made. From start to finish he made the planning process fun and easy and on the day of he was AMAZING!

David was great from the very beginning - offering great suggestions on how to keep the party going. My guests were glued to the dance floor all night long (and so was I). David knew exactly what to play to put a smile on each one of my guests faces.

One of the best things about David was the minimal effort that went into song selection. He basically asked us about the type of music we liked and about the guest experience we were looking for. We got to know each other, and that was it. With little information, he played our favorite songs and provided music that everyone liked. We let him do what he does best - DJ an amazing wedding!

I can't say enough great things about him and his team!

Thanks, David! It was a blast!

Profile Picture Marissa, 9/16/11, 3 Reviews
Category: DJ

David is a great wedding DJ. We had a small wedding so we were looking for somebody to play music as well as make announcements. We gave David a list of songs we wanted to hear at the wedding and asked him to use it as a sample of what we'd like to hear for the remainder of the evening. We also provided him with some mp3s of Russian music. He was great at reading the crowd - everybody was dancing all night long. David and his assistant were working with the venue staff to make sure everything goes according to the schedule. He was great to work with!

Profile Picture Anna, 9/3/11, 5 Reviews
Category: DJ

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING groups of folks who know how to throw a party. They know how to read the crowd and play music that suits the bride and groom but that also creates the mood and flow for the entire night. They also were extremely helpful with A/V needs for the ceremony and slideshow/speeches. I cannot speak highly enough of how sweet, helpful, accommodating, fun and awesome David and Charissa are. Everything was a breeze from beginning to end with them and we got so many compliments from friends and family.

Profile Picture Maggie, 6/11/11, 6 Reviews
Category: DJ

we had provided a list of our favs and we were not disappointed. Dave is very nice and professional. I highly recommend.

Profile Picture jeanne, 6/4/11, 5 Reviews
2.9

Overall, I suppose my experience with DJ Sean at Expressway Music was pretty good. He was a really nice guy and kept everyone on the dance floor all night. I'm sure I was the only one that noticed the mishaps, but there were a couple major hiccups that I wasn't expecting. First, he played the wrong song for our first dance, which left us standing there for a while, awkwardly, after we had been announced. He did eventually get it right, but the reason I hired a dj was for this very reason. Any of my friends could have just pressed play on our iPod more effectively than this! Second, he came up to me in the middle of the reception and said he didn't have the song we requested for the father/daughter dance, so I ended up frantically running around trying to download it from someone's iPhone for him. Needless to say, he should have taken care of this well before. The final straw was when he had no recollection of the conversation we had with him about how we wanted to give the bouquet to the longest-married couple instead of tossing it to the single ladies. We came over and had to explain it AGAIN to him on the spot. I feel bad posting a negative review for such a nice guy, but I just wouldn't want anyone else to experience this without a heads up. That being said, they did have some very good pricing, so maybe you just get what you pay for.

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture Allison, 4/30/11, 8 Reviews
Category: DJ

Had the best wedding day ever!!

Profile Picture Marlo, 3/26/11, 6 Reviews
Category: DJ

Working was Expressway, I got the feeling that we were the only couple they were working with. They asked us questions to get the feel of our guests and played a great mix of music that had my guests dancing the entire time.

Profile Picture Stephanie, 12/11/10, 5 Reviews
Category: DJ

We were very fortunate to have David Swirsky as the DJ for our wedding. He and his team were a pleasure to deal with in preparing for the wedding. More importantly, Dave was great during the wedding. He was able to read the crowd and play music that kept everyone dancing. We had a number of people from out of town and they all told us what a fun time they had at the wedding. While I do not remember many details because the night becomes a blur, my husband and I remember that we had a great time, which is most important. Highly recommend Dave and Expressway Music.

Profile Picture Anila, 11/27/10, 3 Reviews
Category: DJ

A-Maz-Ing! David Swirsky of Expressway Music was the best DJ that I have ever had the pleasure of dancing to. I have been to quite a few weddings with DJs and so many times, the DJ plays the music too loudly, the song selections can be all over the place with little or no transition, and the DJ is in love with his own voice and spends half the reception MC-ing the event. David was none of the bad things, but all of the good things about having a DJ - my husband and I could not have been happier. David is a true professional and the man knows what he is doing - the song selections during cocktail hour, dinner and dancing were all amazing! I didn't even want to leave the dance floor to go to the bathroom :) Our wedding reception would not have been the same without David and we can not recommend him enough! We will continue to ask David to DJ our events in the future and we will recommend him to all of our friends and family. Thank you!

Profile Picture Kelly, 10/23/10, 4 Reviews
Category: DJ

I found the best DJ in New York for my wedding.

I'd always had an idea of the kind of DJ I'd want at my wedding. Someone who would play music for the crowd and not for themselves. Someone with an extensive playlist that would even cover my fiancee's taste in music . Someone who you could even invite to the wedding. Well David Swirsky was that someone.

In the months leading to the wedding I played around with the online planner, selecting the music for the first dance, highlighting songs that should not be played under any circumstances whatsoever, trying to plan every single track.

During the meeting with David a week before the wedding I realised I didn't have to plan every single song, after a few minutes of talking to me he knew the style we were aiming at - how do you mix 80s Brit-Pop with Reggaeton??? I was more than happy to let David go with what he felt was best.

Now I was relaxed about the music, but what about the actual ceremony? I didn't have a clue (first and only wedding for me) how it all worked and what music was played and when, and what happens after and how does cocktail hour go and when do we cut the cake? David was great, in fact this is where he went far beyond what we asked. He has so much experience with weddings and has seen so many he knows how everything works. His assistant Taylor prompted us on a couple of occasions and everything just fell into place. The timing of the music during the ceremony was exquisite and the music he played during cocktail hour was great. Once the main event i.e. the actual dancing, came around David was in his element. He knows his music and what songs work with the crowd he has before him. So much so that I'm still coming to terms with the song I danced to with my mother-in-law.

Profile Picture Kevin, 10/8/10, 1 Review
Category: DJ

From the first phone call to the last dance of my wedding, everything went just as I had hoped (and even better). I was truly lucky to have Sean as the DJ on wedding day. He did everything perfectly! My fiance and I have the exact opposite taste in music, but Sean was able to mix it up so well and had our guests dancing all night long! A friend of mine is getting married next summer and I will definitely be passing on your information to her!

Profile Picture Ellie, 10/8/10, 1 Review
2.2

Don't be fooled by how professional Expressway music appears to be.Though they have a great client facing attitude, they ultimately cannot deliver on the services they promise. I hired them to DJ, handle lighting, and play our ceremony music for our wedding last September and was shocked at how many mistakes were made:
-First, they played the WRONG SONG while our wedding party was walking down the aisle
- Second, they were incapable of properly setting up the sound system so that music (and speeches) could be heard at proper volume. The music for our outdoor cocktail hour was too soft and the groom had to ask them to turn it up. Also, after we moved inside, no one could hear the groom's speech because the sound system inside also wasn't properly set up
- They convinced us that they would be able to provide cool club like lighting, but the lighting towers they brought were an eyesore and made the place look like a cheesy bar mitzvah
- There was no real DJing done -- no fading in and out of tracks, mixing, or reading the crowd -- it just sounded like someone put on an iPod and hit
play.
- The made a huge deal out of customizing our song list, but they didn't even get through our "MUST PLAY" list and despite the fact that we gave them a list of over 100 songs we liked, there were still songs played that we hated / didn't recognize.
- Though they were responsive before we went into contract with them, they went RADIO SILENT the week of our wedding and we had to hunt them down to discuss important logistics of the day.

For how much they charge, brides would be way better off going with a different DJ company.

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture G, 9/4/10, 5 Reviews
Category: DJ

David from Expressway Music did a great job dj'ing our wedding. We really had a wide range of guests and he managed to get everybody on the dance floor - from our twenty something cousins to the groom's 85-year-old grandfather to everyone in between. He also played ethnic music like we requested and everyone really enjoyed it. Not only did he listen to what we wanted and didn't want, but he was also able to get the groom's weird requests in. The volume was great all night earning compliments from our guests (it was loud enough to dance to yet guests were still able to have conversations without shouting).

Finally I just want to add how much fun we had; I don’t think we have ever danced that much, even to all the Ukrainian songs!

Profile Picture joann, 8/28/10, 1 Review
Category: DJ

Dave, the owner of Expressway Music, was our wedding day DJ and he was fantastic!! He did everything we asked of him (which was mostly make sure everyone was having a good time,) is a great guy, very easy to work with and a wonderful business man.
He was amazingly flexible, professional, worked with us on all different types of wedding stressors, and really made our wedding an awesome PARTY!! One guest even said that it "was the best wedding he has ever been to." And I know that Dave had alot to do with that.
He read the crowd, made great choices for dinner music, didn't leave a song playing that wasn't getting a good response, and was very helpful in guiding us through the logistics of how the wedding ceremony and reception were going to go.
There were a few minor hiccups along the way, due to small lapses in communication on both ends, but all in all Dave exceeded my expectations!
I am a real believer in you get what you pay for and that you leave the specifics up to the experts - my husband and I let Dave choice the music that worked best at that moment and it was obvious that he really knows his craft. I would stop my search for your Wedding Day DJ and hire David Swirsky immediately!

Profile Picture Darryl, 7/17/10, 1 Review