89 Reviews for Expressway Music NYC DJ's

Do-Not-Play List (1)
Microphones (1)
Uplighting (1)
88 Expressway Music NYC DJ's Reviews

I had so much fun dancing at my wedding! Dave listened to what we wanted and played the best song list. Everyone was dancing - even my older relatives who I have never seen dance before. Dave was able to read the crowd well and knew when to play which kinds of songs. I really enjoyed working with him and his team. They made the process easy and fun. I would definitely recommend him for a wedding or any event where you want people to dance.

Profile Picture User2649431, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: DJ

DJ David Swirsky is a great dj and make you want to dance, and played all my fav music!

Profile Picture matt, 2/22/10, 5 Reviews
Category: DJ

On time, great job what more could a married woman ask for.

Profile Picture Jamie, 2/2/10, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony Music, DJ

David and team were a pleasure to work with and did a great job at our wedding on July 1st. The music from start to finish was what we had hoped for. He knew how to play to the crowd and mix it up for all ages and tastes. Truly a great night that we'll never forget.

Thanks David!

Profile Picture Elisha, 7/1/16, 1 Review
Category: DJ

Dave was our DJ and he was AMAZING! Not only did he do everything incredibly well for us (our announcements, our must plays, etc.) but our guests LOVED him! Everyone had a great time dancing- the music was a perfect mix of oldies and newer hits (which is exactly what we wanted). Not only was Dave great, but Charissa, who helped us with a song edit we needed for our father/daughter dance and all of the organizing, was so friendly and knowledgeable! I definitely recommend!

Profile Picture User5519889, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews
Category: DJ

David [and Expressway Music] were the perfect DJ for us and our wedding. David worked hands-on with us to understand not only our personal music tastes, but also the tastes of our guests. His assistant even helped me find an instrumental cover of a song that I ended up walking down the aisle to. We hired Expressway Music for our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception, and the transition of music from each space was seamless. During our reception, David really kept the energy up the whole night, and everyone had an amazing time at our wedding -- the dance floor was filled for pretty much the entire night!!

He even went out of his way to help my now-husband surprise me with a singing performance (cover) of a Death Cab for Cutie song, accompanied by my cousin's boyfriend, on the acoustic guitar. It was an amazing moment that everyone is still talking about! This is a professional operation and David will work hard to ensure everyone has an amazing time celebrating at your wedding -- whatever kind of wedding you want to have.

Profile Picture Meaghan, 10/11/13, 8 Reviews
Category: DJ

Dave, the owner of Expressway Music, was our wedding day DJ and he was fantastic!! He did everything we asked of him (which was mostly make sure everyone was having a good time,) is a great guy, very easy to work with and a wonderful business man.
He was amazingly flexible, professional, worked with us on all different types of wedding stressors, and really made our wedding an awesome PARTY!! One guest even said that it "was the best wedding he has ever been to." And I know that Dave had alot to do with that.
He read the crowd, made great choices for dinner music, didn't leave a song playing that wasn't getting a good response, and was very helpful in guiding us through the logistics of how the wedding ceremony and reception were going to go.
There were a few minor hiccups along the way, due to small lapses in communication on both ends, but all in all Dave exceeded my expectations!
I am a real believer in you get what you pay for and that you leave the specifics up to the experts - my husband and I let Dave choice the music that worked best at that moment and it was obvious that he really knows his craft. I would stop my search for your Wedding Day DJ and hire David Swirsky immediately!

Profile Picture Darryl, 7/17/10, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony Music, DJ

David Swirsky was our DJ. We saw him at a wedding a year before ours and really enjoyed his style and approach to wedding entertainment. He checked with us on requested songs, kept the talking to a minimum (which we wanted) and has a really easy to use online song-database where you can create your own playlist for your event. He and his harpist, Christie, were prompt, professional and polite.

Profile Picture Sarah, 6/22/08, 6 Reviews
Category: DJ, Unique Services (Other)

We had Yan play the violin at our ceremony and Michael play piano at our reception. They both did an excellent job. Everything went very smoothly from a logistical perspective, and they both adhered to the preferences we had communicated.

However, we planned the wedding from overseas, and we sometimes found that the people on the admin side were not great at acknowledging/responding to emails in a timely manner.

Profile Picture Erica, 10/10/14, 7 Reviews
Category: Band, Ceremony Music
4.2

David is extremely personable and knowledgeable about all genres of music. Has an online request database and planning form that is extremely helpful. Played the music we requested and the additions he made were crowd pleasers. He really did a wonderful job on a most memorable night! The dance floor was packed all night long and there was definitely something for everyone. I wish I could have danced every dance! We also had 2 percussionists and they created a semi-live feel that really added to the atmosphere. He's a little more than your average d.j. but you get a level of class and professionalism where you really don't have to worry about the music the whole night. Highly recommend!

Profile Picture Anne, 9/26/09, 7 Reviews
2.9

Overall, I suppose my experience with DJ Sean at Expressway Music was pretty good. He was a really nice guy and kept everyone on the dance floor all night. I'm sure I was the only one that noticed the mishaps, but there were a couple major hiccups that I wasn't expecting. First, he played the wrong song for our first dance, which left us standing there for a while, awkwardly, after we had been announced. He did eventually get it right, but the reason I hired a dj was for this very reason. Any of my friends could have just pressed play on our iPod more effectively than this! Second, he came up to me in the middle of the reception and said he didn't have the song we requested for the father/daughter dance, so I ended up frantically running around trying to download it from someone's iPhone for him. Needless to say, he should have taken care of this well before. The final straw was when he had no recollection of the conversation we had with him about how we wanted to give the bouquet to the longest-married couple instead of tossing it to the single ladies. We came over and had to explain it AGAIN to him on the spot. I feel bad posting a negative review for such a nice guy, but I just wouldn't want anyone else to experience this without a heads up. That being said, they did have some very good pricing, so maybe you just get what you pay for.

Profile Picture Allison, 4/30/11, 8 Reviews
2.7

This review is solely for their harpist, we didn't use the DJ services. If it weren't for Charissa, who does all of the coordination for Expressway, we would have cut ties with them before our wedding. To back up a bit, we had calls and/or walk-throughs scheduled with our DJ, caterer, etc. before the wedding. We thought it best to make sure everyone was on the same page, so we asked Charissa if we could have a short call with the harpist, and to ask her suggestion on a song. For the call itself, after joining about 12 minutes late to a 15 minute call, the harpist was clearly driving and getting in and out of her car. There were many noises in the background, it was hard to hear her and she wasn't concentrating on our call. We'd sent an email before which she hadn't read through, and she seemed confused as to why the call was happening. She acted like the call was unnecessary and was blatantly rude. Tensions were rising, and my usually cool-headed fiance got irritated, we were paying her money and she could care less about doing her job professionally. When it got impossible to hear her, he said let's reschedule the call. Charissa promptly called us and promised to make things right, sending us links to song options, and promising the harpist would be prompt on the wedding day. At the wedding she was prompt and played fine. She had the nerve, however, to come up to me before my husband and I were about to make our entrance into the reception and say, "can you hear me now?!" I realized she meant because we'd gotten irritated on the call over her lack of professionalism. To come up to me in the middle of my wedding and do this was uncalled for. All in all, she did her job and did a good job of it. Personality-wise, I will never hire her again. Charissa I must say though had given us her personal cell phone in case anything had gone wrong over the weekend, and followed up on Monday following the wedding to make sure all went okay. She seemed to go above and beyond.

Profile Picture Jackie, 3/12/16, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony Music
2.2

Don't be fooled by how professional Expressway music appears to be.Though they have a great client facing attitude, they ultimately cannot deliver on the services they promise. I hired them to DJ, handle lighting, and play our ceremony music for our wedding last September and was shocked at how many mistakes were made:
-First, they played the WRONG SONG while our wedding party was walking down the aisle
- Second, they were incapable of properly setting up the sound system so that music (and speeches) could be heard at proper volume. The music for our outdoor cocktail hour was too soft and the groom had to ask them to turn it up. Also, after we moved inside, no one could hear the groom's speech because the sound system inside also wasn't properly set up
- They convinced us that they would be able to provide cool club like lighting, but the lighting towers they brought were an eyesore and made the place look like a cheesy bar mitzvah
- There was no real DJing done -- no fading in and out of tracks, mixing, or reading the crowd -- it just sounded like someone put on an iPod and hit
play.
- The made a huge deal out of customizing our song list, but they didn't even get through our "MUST PLAY" list and despite the fact that we gave them a list of over 100 songs we liked, there were still songs played that we hated / didn't recognize.
- Though they were responsive before we went into contract with them, they went RADIO SILENT the week of our wedding and we had to hunt them down to discuss important logistics of the day.

For how much they charge, brides would be way better off going with a different DJ company.

Profile Picture G, 9/4/10, 5 Reviews