Eric Herod Entertainment Reviews

90 | Fredericksburg, VA

90 Reviews for Eric Herod Entertainment

Tamara · Married on 07/25/2009

Thank you for really making Ryen and Jereme’s wedding an event to remember. Disappointing as it was not to see everything you planned for the evening, everyone raved about our DJ. There was not one guest that didn’t personally comment on the personal touch of Ryen and David’s messages. Actually, many of the male guests were crying. I had guests say they haven’t cried that much at funerals. Way to go! Truly Eric, you are much more than a DJ, you turned their wedding into an event to remember. Thank you so very much.

Sent on 03/22/2011

Michael · Married on 10/05/2008

Eric showed his true professionalism, by being willing to listen to our needs and adjust them to our party. If it was the older crowd that needed encouragement he would do it, if it was the younger crowd who wanted to some tunes to dance from their youth days, he had it.
    Eric put together a CD that we had for our first dance and you can see it at www.mikeandmarygifford.blogspot.com or at Eric's website! He also put together a fabulous wedding story, where he told our story from two different perspectives! This story is found at the blog or his website!
    He was great!

Sent on 07/24/2009

Kate · Married on 05/06/2017

We chose Eric Herod as our wedding DJ after a wonderful Skype meeting. From the very beginning we knew his cheery personality and the professionalism with which he approaches his work would be a winning combination for our wedding! He had our wedding dancing the whole time, laughing, and in tears. He brings original ideas, exciting opportunities to customize your wedding, and a lot of phenomenal experience to his work. He meets with his couples multiple times before the big day, and even helps make your speeches the best they can be.
    Everyone raved about how unique and personal our wedding felt- and we couldn't agree more. We credit Eric for that and will forever be grateful for his hand in making our wedding day the absolute best!

Sent on 05/24/2017

Tina · Married on 04/28/2012

Eric was the best money we spent on our wedding! He helped us personalize our ceremony and reception. The things that he helped us implement are the things that made our wedding unique and special.

Sent on 05/07/2012

Kristy · Married on 09/03/2011

Eric provides much more than just DJ services. He is truly a "Master of Ceremony," during our reception he worked with us and the other vendors to keep the evening moving along a timeline we worked out beforehand. Without being cheesy or domineering, he accomplished it in such a smooth fashion that the guests never realized they were being moved along a schedule. Eric's skills as a DJ are matched by his skills as an Emcee, he offers a truly unique way of introducing the wedding party and the Bride & Groom that our guests talked about all night, and that set an intimate tone for the reception party despite the large number of guests. Our reception was important to us and so we felt (before and after the wedding) that our investment in Eric Herod paid off large dividends in the smooth execution of our big day.

Sent on 09/20/2011

Mallory · Married on 07/03/2010

Eric was absolutely wonderful. He provided great ideas and truly got to know us to help us make our day as perfect as we had imagined. He was always available to answer e-mails, g-chats, etc. He worked to mold what we had in our minds as the perfect reception and made it fit and move smoothly throughout the night. Similarly, he was amazing at coordinating the evening so everything went smoothly. My mother, wedding party, myself-- no one had to direct the evening, from the cake cutting to the bouquet toss. Eric arranged and kept everything moving, which was important beyond words. We were able to just enjoy our night! Overall, wonderful experience with Eric. He was great! I've already recommended him to many of my friends getting married and I recommend him to you, too!

Sent on 09/15/2011

Ashley · Married on 06/12/2010

We really enjoyed working with Eric! We met with him a few times throughout the planning process and when it came down to the day everything was just how we would have wanted it! He put so much effort into making our wedding day special and the "Love Story" was perfect! It was such a great touch to the evening and my husband and I were so pleased with how it turned out! We honestly couldn't have asked for a better DJ for our wedding day and we recommend him to any Bride and Groom that want to have a night to remember! : )

Sent on 07/13/2010

Meghan · Married on 03/27/2010

After reviewing several DJ's I finally choose to go with Eric Herod Entertainment and I am very pleased that I did. I could have not asked for anything better from what we received from Eric. I am amazed at the time and effort he put into creating our song list along with the time he put into creating our Love Story and our Roast for the wedding party.
    He made my husband and I feel very comfortable working with him very personable. Working with Eric was truly a pleasure and I could not have asked for anything better. He comes very highly recommended by my husband and I.

Sent on 04/18/2010

Brenna · Married on 05/30/2009

LOVE LOVE LOVE Eric Herod Entertainment!! Best go-to-guy for dj services for weddings!

Sent on 07/03/2009
  • Sarah

Sarah · Married on 12/27/2019

A great time!!

Eric was so fun to work with!! He was super helpful in our planning process and was also super responsive when we wanted to switch some things up to personalize our day to what we wanted. He did a great job playing the songs we wanted and also read the crowd well when playing other songs. He even took time to dance with us on the dance floor! It was the most perfect evening and we can't thank Eric enough for being a part of our big day!

Sent on 01/08/2020

Jay · Married on 10/28/2017

Eric gives it his all! He takes the time and puts in the work to really make your reception personal to you. At first I had my doubts about some of his ideas, but he was spot on. People are still talking about the personalized introductions and the Love Story now two months after the wedding. Those were two highlights of the reception that people remember because they aren't things you typically see at a wedding reception. Leading up to the wedding, Eric was easy to work with....probably the least stressful part of the wedding planning process.

Sent on 01/14/2018

Eric Herod Entertainment's reply:

Jay, thank you so much for the kind words. It was such a pleasure and honor to help you create a wedding that you and your guests will remember for years. I'm so glad to hear that we were able to achieve the results you hoped for and even exceeded them. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jessica · Married on 09/29/2017

3.5

Eric is a DJ like no other! As a Wedding Entertainment Director, he was super involved and really made our wedding day special. Our ceremony was so intimate and our reception was a blast, we couldn't get people OFF of the dance floor, all thanks to him. He was able to accommodate special request with music and interact with our guest. What he was able to do with his equipment is much more than just playing song after song.

Sent on 11/16/2017

Laura · Married on 10/24/2009

3.5

Overall a great experience. Only thing I wish I had known was that I would not be able to edit my music website the week of the wedding. I had a few more things that I wanted to add and was not able. Other than that, it was a pleasure to work with Eric.

Sent on 11/18/2009

Betty Ann · Married on 05/05/2018

1.0
      1.0
      3.0

Unfortunately, Eric was a big disappointment. Being a first-time mother of the bride planning a wedding, I knew entertainment was most important and was willing to spend extra for his services. Eric made numerous mistakes at the wedding reception, including not introducing the father of the groom. He also forgot to make a few announcements. He advertises his bridal party entrance and “love story” as big highlights. We were looking forward to it, however, turned out all wrong and unimpressive. The bridal party was confused upon entering and he did not explain to them. We selected a song and short bio for each person; the songs were mixed up and very unorganized. My daughter wanted the bridal dance, also known as polka dance, for the finale. It is a tradition in our family. Since many guests had already left and not enough people, we could not have the dance. Eric did not keep the guests engaged on the dance floor. He did not use our timeline or song list, including the guests’ preferences. If he followed the timeline or noticed guests leaving, he could have announced the bridal dance sooner. We were so very disappointed.

Paying $3400, we were expecting great entertainment for our guests. A very hard and expensive lesson learned. Unfortunately, we cannot recommend his services.

On a lighter note, Eric is a nice man and very friendly. He did a nice job with the ceremony.

Sent on 07/01/2018

Eric Herod Entertainment's reply:

I’m sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at your daughter’s wedding. We are normally known for our exceptional attention to detail and regret we missed the mark. We did personally reach out to the father of the groom. If you or anyone should have further questions or concerns regarding our level of service, please contact us at eric@ericherod.com for further discussion about how we can make things right.

Ariana · Married on 03/19/2011

1.8
      1.5
      2.5
      0.0
      3.0

Here are the things Eric did well:
    - He's easy to work with;
    - There were no last minute charges - his pricing was straightforward (though quite high);
    - He had creative ideas and was willing to personalise the wedding with dedications;
    - He sent us a book ("best wedding reception ever" by Peter Merry) which had really great reception ideas and was very helpful for our planning;
    - He attended the rehearsal and helped with details like making sure the men were holding the women's arms properly, etc.;
    - He gave us a discounted rate ($2k as opposed to $3k) since it was off-season;
    - There was no inappropriate or offensive music played;
    - Guests stated they enjoyed his personality and the reception.

I always try to look on the bright side and give people the benefit of the doubt, but for the most part I was dissatisfied with Eric at the reception (which surprised me a LOT because he's so personable and easy to work with). I used to work at wedding receptions, so I have a lot of experience with wedding DJs, and high expectations that were definitely not met. Here are the issues we had:

- There were several moments of dead air (each lasting several minutes). For what we paid, there should have been NO time without music. That's one reason for hiring a DJ and not a band.
    - When he played songs or made announcements that cleared the dance floor he was unable to fix the problem graciously. For example, instead of the bouquet/garter we planned a nice dance for single men and women so they could mingle a bit, but instead he called up single girls only & made a joke at their expense (I don't think he meant it maliciously, but it came out quite badly). Instead of our nice, hopeful moment (I'm an 32-yr old 1st time bride), it just served to highlight their single status. Additionally, there was a lot of time when no one was on the dance floor, which related in part to the fact that the weather was lovely and people were on the outdoor veranda, but also partly to the fact that Eric couldn't switch gears fast enough to keep people interested in dancing (and we have a crowd that loves to dance...usually).
    - Eric gave us a lot of music to listen to and make requests from. He had an online form for us to fill out, but when I didn't have time to do his data entry, he said I could email him the list of songs & ratings we made originally after listening to hundreds upon hundreds of songs that he sent us. In the book he gave us it says basically that "you should be able to pick out every song that is played at your wedding", so I expected he would play mostly songs on the list I sent him. I didn't expect every song played to be from our list, but MOST of the songs he played were not ones we picked, AND one slow song that I notated I specifically wanted to DANCE TO was played during dinner, so my husband and I had to get up from our meal to dance to it. A few of of the (maybe 8) "must-play" songs we listed I never heard, so he either played them during cocktail hour (which seems to defeat the purpose of "must-play") or skipped them altogether. If he was going to ignore our requests, I wish he would have told us in advance so we could get the many hours of prep time back.
    - He has a lot of personalisations, which seems great, but the execution was poor.
    --He does personalised wedding party intros, but we told him we wanted short, funny one-line intros. The wedding party intros took AGES and were much longer than we wanted. Apparently the guests enjoyed it, but it wasn't what we discussed (I couldn't hear most of it from where we were standing).
    --He also does the "Love Story" which seems nice, but he completely skipped the high energy intro we wanted, confused us (& venue staff) by not announcing our names at the intro, so we missed the timing, and he just left us standing awkwardly (not sitting in chairs as we originally discussed) near the dance floor while he told "our" story.
    --He had a phone number that we could call to do voice-dedications for songs we requested, but the quality of the recordings was so poor that it sounded like the teacher from Charlie Brown (whah-whah-whah-whah). If he had told us how poor these would sound we would have told him to skip them, and not been upset by the time we wasted writing and doing the dedications. HOWEVER, since no one could understand them, we were not only disappointed but distracted by the noise. (My husband thought that maybe he just had low-quality speakers...?)

Even with the discounted price, Eric's fee was double the average price of DJs in our area. We thought we were paying a premium for an exceptional DJ, and instead I feel like we got the bait and switch. He knows a lot and attempts to incorporate unique services that make him stand out, and our guests enjoyed the party (those we asked said he was 'fine' or 'good') but for a bride and groom that spent lots of money and time to set the mood and have a certain kind of reception, it was a huge disappointment.

Sent on 03/21/2011

Eric Herod Entertainment's reply:

Our clients’ satisfaction is our number one priority here at Eric Herod Entertainment so we are disheartened to hear that we did not meet expectations for this particular wedding.

As a master of ceremonies, I strive to find a balance between honoring play lists while also using my professional judgment to play songs based on the “feel” of the crowd. There are also certain times in which the event needs to “breathe” and perhaps take a moment to honor a moment versus immediately going into the next song. My goal is to keep the guests happy and dancing- although admittedly it can be challenging to compete with a beautiful evening out on the veranda, a scenario with which I was faced at this venue.

As always, we would be happy to offer as many references as needed. Should anyone have further concerns regarding our level of service, they are welcome to contact us directly to discuss.