Elle Style Studio Reviews

Elle Style Studio 3
Elle Style Studio 4
Elle Style Studio 5

Tasha · Married on 09/28/2019

So talented and fun to work with

I love this place. All my emails were answered in a timely and professional manner. ( and I had a lot of questions lol!). Everyone I worked with was so kind and knowledgeable. My hair looked so gorgeous and kept in position all night even while I was bouncing around on that dance floor and it was a 100 degree day. 10/10 I would recommend these ladies! I am so happy with my end results! Also my bridesmaids looked stunning and everything was on time!

Sent on 10/14/2019
  • Mariah

Mariah Shaw · Married on 06/22/2019

Beautiful, Talented, Professional

Love Elle Style Studio! Kara and Margaret are AMAZING. After I went in for my hair and makeup trial I was SO excited for the wedding day. Kara is very experienced and talented and can do anything with makeup. I never wear much makeup and went in not really knowing what I wanted, once I showed her some pictures from my Pinterest she made it happen! Margaret did such an amazing job, I got complements on my hair the whole night (she party proofs your hair for maximum danceability but somehow it doesn't look hairsprayed and crunchy). My bridal party loved hanging out with them all morning and they made the day stress-free and fun. In addition to all that Elle Style Studio is very professional and Aileen is very responsive to email, I was able to easily schedule everything. Recommend highly!

Elle Style Studio 6
    Sent on 07/06/2019
  • Dana

Dana Cronyn · Married on 05/04/2019

Loved Welsy and Margaret -- great people who do great hair!

Welsy and Margaret and their hair/makeup counterparts did 8 bridesmaids, 2 moms, and me for my May 4th Virginia Museum of Fine Arts wedding reception -- it was quite a feat that they made look easy!
    The moment they walked in (early, of course) everyone could tell they were in exceptional hands. They were so calming and so much fun to be around. Every single bridesmaid commented on how much fun they had in the chair.

I was a bit nervous going in because I wanted to wear my hair down -- which lots of friends warned me was impossible -- but my hair was picture perfect for humid outdoor photos, aggressive cake eating, and an evening of dancing. I was also a bit nervous because I wanted the hair/makeup to match the venue -- a little bit mid/mod, very classic, no intricate curls or fancy blended makeup (things that are more common but better for outdoor weddings). It's hard to trust someone with your whole face and hair -- talk about high stakes -- but they really listened, worked with me, asked lots of questions, and totally got it. It turned out exactly how I would have hoped.

Last thing I'll say! I really liked the products that both Welsy and Margaret used. You can tell Welsy is literally a hair expert -- how to fill in hairlines, add volume, and get things to "stick." Nothing phased her :) Similarly, I loved all of Margaret's products -- clean brushes, new lash glue, lots of name brand makeup lines. She's a whiz with an airbrush machine and did the most perfect wing I've ever seen!! Can't say enough good things!

Elle Style Studio 7
    Elle Style Studio 8
    Elle Style Studio 9
    Elle Style Studio 10
    Sent on 07/14/2019
  • Elizabeth

Elizabeth · Married on 12/08/2018

Absolutely Perfect

I hired Elle Style after my first hair/makeup crew didn’t work out. I could not be happier with the results! Flora did makeup and Margaret and an assistant did hair for me, my 7 bridesmaids, and my mom. Even with that many people, we weren’t rushed for time! We had such a fun morning getting ready with them, and each girl looked so beautiful and natural! Margaret gave me the voluminous bridal hair I’d been dreaming of, and Flora made my skin look flawless and natural. They made my mom look so beautiful too which made all the wedding planning stress she went through worth it! Communication was easy and I got exactly what I expected with this vendor. Beyond excellent service, and I’d highly recommend them to all brides!!

Sent on 12/21/2018
  • McKenna

McKenna · Married on 10/06/2018

Great bridal experience!

Welsy and LaCretia were a joy to work with for my wedding day hair and makeup. They were receptive to feedback during my trial and made me feel entirely comfortable that they understood my vision. On wedding day, they were on time and professional but also incredibly fun! I would highly recommend Elle Style Studio for any bridal needs, and Welsy and LaCretia in particular.

Sent on 12/17/2018

Sarah · Married on 06/23/2018

Phawn and Desirae were our makeup and hair stylists for the day and they are wonderful! I first met them last year for a trial and they made me feel completely comfortable. Scheduling them through Elle Style Studio was easy and hassle free. They also take cash, credit or check which is was convenient for my bridesmaids! Phawn's ability to apply make-up is STUNNING. She listens to your concerns about skin and appearance and is able to create a look perfect for you. I felt beautiful on my wedding day, but I also looked like myself which was something I was worried about. Sometimes you see beautiful brides but you wouldn't recognize them without all that make up. Not the case for me! I loved my wedding day look and the quality of the products she used to create it. You also get a touch up kit that includes blotting papers and lipstick for touch ups throughout the night. Desirae is a hair genius. Many of my bridesmaids had short hair that couldn't be put all the way up. Enter Virginia humidity in late June...but their hair looked perfect! I loved my hair, it was a braided up-do that looked like it required hair magic to complete. She was able to do it in under an hour! We finished mostly on time and looked perfect for pictures. Not only are both Desirae and Phawn good at what they do, they are pleasant to be around and talk to! Having them in the room getting ready with us felt comfortable and fun. Thanks ladies!

Elle Style Studio 11
    Elle Style Studio 12
    Elle Style Studio 13
    Sent on 07/26/2018
  • ablyssa

Alyssa · Married on 06/02/2018

Since I get my hair cut by Natty regularly, I knew I wanted her to do my wedding hair. With that, I also booked Elle Style Studio to do our makeup and was so excited to have Kara Waggoner!

Natty and Kara both were so wonderful to me during my hair and makeup trial. Kara had to redo my lip color until we found the perfect shade and very patiently helped me find what matched "me", and Natty redid my updo twice with all the patience in the world. On the day of my wedding, they made the day so smooth, fun, and enjoyable, and Natty, Kara, Sam, and Reneé made us all look absolutely stunning. Even after a full day and evening of torrential downpour, our hair and makeup looked flawless!

The booking process deserves a shout-out, as well. Aileen, the wedding coordinator, was so wonderful in answering all my questions about the process. I couldn't recommend Elle Style Studio more for wedding day hair and makeup (and especially in their new space, for regular haircuts as well)!

Elle Style Studio 14
    Elle Style Studio 21
    Elle Style Studio 22
    Sent on 07/26/2018

Peyton · Married on 09/23/2017

Everything went very well from day one - Aileen was great to communicate with and set up all the details. Rachel and Phawn were wonderful for my trial and the day of. They are both super laid back and fun to be around. And, they are both amazing at their specialties. I absolutely loved my hair and make up, and I know all of the bridal party did as well. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!

Sent on 10/09/2017

Gina · Married on 09/16/2017

Welsy is so amazing - she did an awesome job styling me and my wedding party. She's also got such a great personality, she fit in perfectly with us and we had such a memorable time getting ready on the big day. We loved her and her crew. Thanks for everything!

Sent on 09/30/2017

Elle Style Studio's reply:

Thank you Gina!!! You were an absolutely gorgeous bride and so fun to work with! You are the sweetest to take the time to leave such a nice review. Best wishes to you and your handsome groom!!

Daina · Married on 11/05/2016

Welsy did an amazing job on mine and my bridal party's hair. They just had blow-outs but Welsy and her partner made them look anything but basic. They had a ton of volume a looked gorgeous. My hair was absolutely perfect, I received compliments on it for days afterwards. I gave her a basic picture of what I wanted but she took it much further. There was a ton of movement and it worked fantastic with my dress. We also did a trial beforehand so I knew exactly what I was getting before the day of.

Sent on 11/30/2016

Kayla · Married on 10/08/2016

My wedding party and I used Elle Style artists Phawn and Leslie for our make up and hair on my wedding day and I couldn't have been happier with the results. Both ladies were wonderful to work with and we were all very happy with the results. Everything held up amazingly for the entire day, even though it was pouring the entire time. I would definitely recommend both ladies and their studio to anyone who is getting married.

Sent on 10/10/2016
  • Hope

Hope · Married on 07/31/2016

Elle Style Studio is wonderful. Aileen the wedding coordinator has got back with me very quickly and helped me schedule and reserve my wedding day very easily. Rachel Sharder will be doing my day of hair and I am so excited for my trail. Book with Elle Style Studio today so that you do not need to have any worries of your wedding day hair!!

Sent on 05/17/2016

For my wedding I booked Rachel Shrader for hair and La’Cretia Baskfield for makeup --- they were both amazing. They did hair and makeup for me, my bridal party, the mothers, and grandmothers.

Rachel and I did a hair trial about a month before my wedding and her service stood out to me right away. She spent a TON of time experimenting with my hair to make sure I loved the finished product & the style would work with my hair type/length (my hair is very fine). Additionally, on the wedding day she was happy to do my mother's hair twice because my mom changed her mind about the look she wanted.

I also have wonderful things to say about La’Cretia. She is very talented and has a demeanor that will put you at ease. I loved how she was able to understand my vision and executed it flawlessly (I wanted a "fresh" look rather than overdone; however, I have no doubt she could do a fabulous glam look if that is what you desire!). I really liked that she used airbrush foundation because it stayed put all night, even in the heat of the summer.

Check out their Instagram photos to see their great work prior to booking.

Sent on 08/19/2016

Linda (hair) and Phawn (makeup) were a styling dream team. They took care of me (the bride), my two bridesmaids, the mother of the groom and my mom. I showed them a couple of photos from Pinterest to give them an idea of what I wanted for myself, and then they took it from there to work their magic. As someone who doesn't normally wear much makeup, I give Phawn a ton of credit for helping me achieve a look that would work in photos and also still make me feel like myself. As well, I couldn't have been happier with my hair and what Linda did for the rest of the bridal party. They were also a fun, calming presence on the day. I can't recommend Elle Style Studio highly enough!

Sent on 06/13/2016

Emily · Married on 06/03/2016

Rachael was our stylist for my wedding several weeks ago. She did hair for my bridesmaids and me as well as my bridal makeup. The quality of her work was very good and the price was great, especially considering she came to do everything on sight at our venues bridal suite. The scheduling with Elle style studio was very easy, as was signing a contract. I would definitely recommend Elle Style Studio and Rachael to any brides looking for a stylist!

Sent on 06/20/2016

Linda did my hair and Phawn did my makeup. I was so nervous about my hair as I have had nightware updos in the past. Linda did an amazing job, and created the exact look I was hoping for. My hair also stayed in place all night long, and didn't look over sprayed. Phawn made my makeup fantastic. She did airbrush without looking cakey, and is a master at fake eyelashes. I looked great thanks to these ladies!

Sent on 01/19/2016

Laura · Married on 09/19/2015

Rachel did such a great job on everyone's hair! All of my bridesmaids loved their hair and so did I! Rachel's always been a fantastic stylist and it was so great to have her there to do my hair for the big day. We had a great time with her getting ready. I would definitely recommend her in a heartbeat!

Sent on 10/24/2015

Rachel · Married on 06/27/2015

Our hair was perfect, thank you!!! Everyone raved about the hairstyles!

Sent on 09/03/2015

Marianne · Married on 04/18/2015

As soon as you book your date for your wedding, ELLE Style Studio needs to be your next phone call! I used ELLE for my wedding this year and they were amazing. Like most girls, I'm my own worst critic but on my wedding day they helped me feel beautiful. Rachel and Phawn were so positive and fun to get ready with and did the entire bridal party. It felt like getting ready with friends! Their entires staff is warm and welcoming. You couldn't go wrong with booking any stylist with ELLE!

Sent on 12/14/2015

Emily · Married on 11/29/2014

Elle Style Studio was wonderful to work with for my wedding. All of my bridesmaids loved their hair and so did I! Welsy and Rachel were great and a fun addition to my wedding day. In fact, I've become a client of Welsy's and will be going back often to have my hair cut and definitely have my hair done there for any major events in the future. I highly recommend them for any event, especially weddings. It was the perfect experience!

Sent on 12/21/2014

I absolutely loved having Elle Style Studio as part of my wedding day. Welsy, Rachel, and Gerry did a great job ensuring everyone looked fabulous!! They were such a professional group of individuals that did everything to make sure my girls were 100% satisfied with their look. Welsy was truly one of the sweetest and most patient people I was lucky enough to deal with... as the bride I was very overwhelmed and had high anxiety that day, but she stayed patient, positive and fun throughout it all. Would highly recommend all of these stylists to anyone, you won't be disappointed!!!

Sent on 02/25/2015

The ladies of Elle Style Studio are amazing! Not only is their work impeccable, but they work quickly to keep us on schedule. For my wedding, the flower girls' hair was having a hard time curling, but the ladies were persistent to make sure every inch was perfect, spending over an hour re-curling their hair!!! My mother said she had never felt more beautiful, and that is the greatest praise I could possibly give to Elle Style Studio.

Sent on 10/20/2014

Used Elle Style Sudio for my recent wedding. I wouldn't recommend the hair people that I used, but I would DEF recommend Phawn for makeup! She did an amazing job!

Sent on 06/17/2015
  • Christine

Christine Wang Trostler · Married on 09/15/2018

3.8
      3.0

Beautiful work, but business practices could improve

I had Margaret and Kara as my hair and makeup people on the day of the wedding. I got to know them both when I had my hair and makeup previews and they both do amazing work, Kara especially. With little guidance from me she was able to transform me from an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan both during the preview and the day of. Kara was a real professional about her work on the day of especially when a granite top from the suite’s table fell on her foot before she started her work. Despite the pain she was able to make all of us having makeup done look beautiful.
    Margaret is their newest stylist, but she was able to tame my hair into a perfect updo that lasted all night long. I was a bit worried whether she was up to the task after the trials. The first updo we tried pretty much fell apart an hour after I left the salon and it looked really messy with all of the flyaways just going everyone, which was not the sleek, elegant look I was hoping to have. We did a second updo which came out better and this time I had less flyaways since Margaret used her wedding day products unlike the first time. I still had a couple edits afterwards, but I was reassured for the wedding day look. Day of look was perfect, though I did have to ask her to make one edit just as she was packing up.
    My one big complaint with Elle is that there seems to be a disconnection between the wedding coordinator and the contracted stylists as to pricing and expectations. The signed contract lists that the bridal hair preview is $100 and so is the makeup preview. This is the same price breakdown for the day of hair and makeup services. For Margaret’s hair service, it matches, however for Kara she charged me $115 for the preview and for the day-of service. I am not sure who sets the artist’s price, whether it’s the artist or the studio, but I think they should address this somehow this rather than surprising a client on the day of the preview. Also, I had asked the coordinator about receiving a touch up kit on the day of and she reassured me that yes I would receive one. And again on the day of, Kara said she didn’t have one to provide me, which made me think the coordinator either misrepresented to me about such a provision or she didn’t even ask Kara about providing me with a touch up kit or didn’t communicate to me that Kara doesn’t provide one after asking her. Either way I think this was just very jarring all around for a salon considered the “best in Richmond” and which is the only studio you have to put down a $200 nonrefundable deposit to reserve their services on your date (and which is not applied to your services). One bright point is that Margaret was really kind enough to give me an unused lipstick she had on hand that was close to the color of the lipstick Kara used on me.

Sent on 11/30/2018