14 Reviews for DuPortail House

Covered Outdoor (2)
Uncovered Outdoor (1)
Bridal Suite (1)
Event Planning (1)

My husband and I got married at the Duportail House on June 26th, 2018. We were married in the barn, had Hors d'Oeuvres on the patio, and dinner in the two dining rooms. Let me start by saying that it was an amazing venue for a wedding, and Kate (who is the events coordinator) was awesome to work with. Kate made sure that everything was set before the wedding, and the day of the wedding, she was there to help everything run smoothly!

We were going for a rustic theme, so the barn was perfect for us! For a while, we weren't too sure if we wanted to use the barn though, because with the wedding being in June, we were afraid that it would be too hot (there is no A/C in the barn). We ended up watching the weather the week before and seeing that it was going to be hot but not too hot, so we decided that we would be fine in the barn, and we were! The barn has a concrete floor and partial stone walls, which keeps it a bit cooler. My guests kept saying how beautiful and just downright awesome the barn was!

After the ceremony, our guests went to the patio for Hors d'Oeuvres and we also had a photo booth there (side note: the photo booth was a huge hit!) to keep guests entertained while my husband and I took photos. After we were done with the photos, we came inside and by that time, the guests had found their tables in the 2 dining rooms. We had a nice buffet style dinner (the food was in the breezeway of the house, you will know what I am talking about if you see the house!). We had about 63 guests, and everyone fit comfortably in the two rooms, and there was still room for people to move around.

Overall, it is an absolutely beautiful venue! The barn is beautiful, the house is beautiful, and the grounds are beautiful! I would highly recommend this venue!

Profile Picture Amanda, 6/26/18, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Event Planning, Bridal Suite, Parking

This venue was absolutely perfect for our wedding. The grounds and inside the house and barn are stunning. We had a small wedding of 50 people and the size was perfect. That being said, we were at a wedding back in April with over 100 people and that was comfortable too. Our guests couldn't stop talking about how pretty the site was. Kate, the site manger is very knowledgeable and accommodating. One of the things that I love about this venue is that, if the weather doesn't cooperate, you can switch things up seamlessly AND without feeling like you're settling.

Profile Picture Coleen, 10/28/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I cannot say enough how much I loved having my wedding at the Duportail house and working with Kate. She's my type of girl- straight forward and on top of everything. She was so helpful and responsive and was active the entire time leading to the wedding, at the rehearsal and the day of the wedding. The Duportail house is so beautiful and has so many options for how you can lay out your wedding. I highly recommend.

Profile Picture Samantha, 6/30/17, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Parking
4.3

The Duportail House was the perfect fit for what we envisioned our wedding to be. We had our wedding ceremony and reception here in November and absolutely loved the venue. We did get lucky with the weather and turned out to be a perfect day. The property allowed us to have some amazing pictures and can’t wait to get the rest of them from our photographer. Since our wedding was in the fall and on the Sunday, the rental prices were reasonable in our opinion. But make sure you know what you are getting with that price.
That being said, there was some negative experiences with the Duportail House:
•We paid for additional 2 hours before our contracted time frame so that we could get everything done a head of time but when we arrived the venue was not cleaned from the wedding the previous day. We were unable to start decorating and had to wait until that was done. So we paid extra to sit around and wait for it to be cleaned. We’ve e-mailed, called and even stopped by during open house hours and have not heard back.

•Venue staff can be little difficult to work with at times. You get mixed answers to your questions and makes things confusing at times.

•Venue has maximum capacity of 160 guests. In our opinion, the only way you can have that many guests here is if you rent an additional tent on top of the patio tent they have. This is costly but does not increase how many guests you can have. Also, plan on having to rent additional tables for your reception and chairs for your ceremony.

•Planning out a seating chart can be rather difficult because the venue has 4 separate rooms for seating and is not an open floor plan.

•Parking on site is very limited (50 cars) and wound up being more difficult than it should have been. You are not allowed to park on the street or side streets even though no signs are posted. You’d think they offer suggestions on parking since they do weddings all the time but offered little advice on this. They suggested having a sh

Profile Picture Patrick, 11/13/16, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Parking

The Duportail House made my wedding dreams a reality! I absolutely loved working with Kate. She was so easy and kind. We had 140 guests at our September 2016 wedding and rented a tent for our dinner reception/dancing/stage for the band. With string lights, a 12 piece band and fans for the tent (it was VERY hot that day), there was some concern for all of the electrical work, but Kate handled everything and everything ran smoothly all night long! She also coordinated with our tent vendor (event quip) to handle the setup of the tent, stage, dance floor and lights so we didn't have to.

We got married on the front porch and utilized the house for cocktail hour. It was nice and cool inside the house. Then we moved everything out to the tent for dinner. The flow was really nice and the house allowed plenty of room for our guests to spread out.

Our photographer had a field day with the property for our photos. We did first look on the bridge, we did photos around the barn and walking paths, we did family photos in front of the front porch. And we didn't have to do too much in terms of flowers because the landscaping around the house is just so beautiful. For the party, there are even string lights (the big vintage looking ones) in the permanent tent over the patio. It was all so gorgeous!

I will say the one minor con to this place is that the kitchen only has a convection oven and no stove top, so I had to rent a stove for my caterer, but that was a fairly small expense in the grand scheme of things.

I LOVE this venue and hope to use it for future events we may have!

Profile Picture alix, 10/19/19, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Parking
4.7

We had our August wedding here and the day was a dream come true! We rented a large tent for the lawn and the majority of the wedding was outside. The grounds are beautiful with lots of different places to take photos. For a wedding of 120 the inside of the house would have been tight for everyone so thank goodness it was a beautiful day. There is a nice size and recently updated bridal suite upstairs. Kate was so helpful throughout the whole wedding planning process! She knows the business of weddings and was able to give me advise on vendors and set-up. She went above and beyond! For a small wedding Duportail us perfect!

Profile Picture susan, 8/22/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The DuPortail House is an absolutely beautiful venue! My husband and I were married here in June, and it could not have been more perfect. We had an outdoor ceremony and cocktail hour and an indoor reception with 64 guests. Kate is so easy to work with and was always available to answer any questions we had, as well as being there the day-of to make sure everything ran smoothly. We are so happy we chose this venue for our wedding.

Profile Picture Kimberly, 6/5/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

As soon as my husband and I saw this venue, we knew it was the perfect place for our wedding. It was the best possible mix of rustic and elegant, and both the indoor and outdoor spaces made it a truly memorable event. Our guests are still talking about how cool and unique it was and how lucky we were to have found it!

Profile Picture Natalie, 11/8/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Duportail House is a beautiful, historic, unique venue. We absolutely loved having our wedding here, it was perfect for us, and we had so many guests comment on the beauty of the location. The pictures don't do it justice, we had an October wedding and it could not have been prettier.

We had our ceremony outside on the front steps, cocktail hour in the barn, dinner in two rooms of the house, and dancing on the porch. We really enjoyed the flow, and never feeling stuck in one room, but it is very different than a traditional ballroom wedding. We had 90 guests and they fit very well in the two rooms. I think you could easily fit more than that, but 120 would be packed very tightly.

Kate Frey was very helpful and always willing to answer any questions I had (and I had a lot!) On the day of our wedding, Wendy was there and was very helpful. I hadn't met Wendy before but she was very kind and very helpful as well. We had hired a day of coordinator, so this was no issue.

We looked at a lot of venues, but Duportail was the clear winner. It has a beautiful outdoor space, but also has a really lovely indoor rain option. Plus, we saved a lot of money and time on decorations. It's already a very sweet, charming space, you don't need to add much (or really anything) to make it a unique and memorable space for your guests.

Would highly recommend!

Profile Picture Emily, 10/18/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This venue is beautiful and unique. Tons of amazing photo opportunities. Everything we were looking for. Kate Frey was very helpful in the planning and quick to respond to my numerous questions. On our wedding day Wendy Hartigan helped in every possible way. She was like a gift from heaven. The night was absolutely perfect.

Profile Picture Kristelle, 9/19/14, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I’m so happy that we chose Duportail House for our wedding and reception. We planned on having small wedding with 50-60 people tops. My husband and I worried that our wedding party would feel swallowed up if we went with a traditional large venue. I loved the rustic elegance that Duportail offered and it was perfect for my little wedding. Kate Fry was great and was always very prompt with her responses to my numerous emails. On the day of, Kate couldn’t make it and sent her friend Wendy to oversee our day. Wendy was such a sweat heart and helped guide us through our day with ease. It was pouring rain on our wedding day, so our outdoor wedding turned indoors and I didn’t even care once I saw how beautiful the ceremony turned out in front of the historic hearth of the home. Duportail will always have a special place in my heart.

Profile Picture Kelly, 9/13/14, 4 Reviews
4.7

This was the most dreamy place to hold a wedding reception. It was an amazing evening and just out of the story books. The weather was perfect which just made the venue that much more magical. I would recommend this story book wedding location to ANYONE!

Profile Picture User3893850, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Duportail is so beautiful, and it was exactly what we wanted for our wedding - historic, homey, and elegant. We chose to have our ceremony in front of the gazebo and we really felt like we were getting married in nature there, which is exactly what we wanted.

The space is a little odd for a wedding: there are two rooms, a solarium, and a tented patio. We had a lot of trouble figuring out how we wanted the evening to flow because we didn't want our guests to have to shuffle from room to room to see various things happening. We worked it out, and we knew it going in, so it's no fault of Duportail. That's just how it is and it's something to keep in mind when planning.

They can fit 120, and they have held events for even more, but this seems to be best if you rent an additional tent and have your event outside. If you want to be inside (as we were, for dinner) our 76 guests were a perfect fit. I don't see how you could fit many more people in those two rooms, but I suppose it's possible.

Kate, the director and event manager, is awesome. She was always responsive, she remembered who we were and what our date was every time we saw her. She knew both me and my fiancé by name and talked to us in detail about our plans, even at Duportail events that had nothing to do with our wedding. It was just so lovely to have that kind of attention from a clearly very busy event manager. She was very flexible in working with us and our plans, tolerated surprises from vendors with grace, and even offered to be the 'bad guy' for us with them, which was above and beyond. When we were setting up decor the day before the wedding, she saw us pondering what to do with our chalkboard seating chart and offered up an easel they had in the back. She communicated with each of our vendors on set up and delivery times. She was so pleasant to work with and made our planning process a lot easier. We can't say enough good things about Kate!

Profile Picture Kristen, 9/15/12, 5 Reviews
4.3

The most important thing to release about this venue is that it is a historical landmark run by a board of volunteers. During the year or so between the time we booked DuPortail and the actual wedding day, our go-to person for things like the venue contracts, getting in touch with tent rentals, and for all our other questions changed three times. This was irritating, as we had to constantly update the contact person about the details of our event, but on the bright side, the shift was always to a person with more wedding and event experience, and our final contact, Kate, was the kindest and most flexible of all three contacts.

The house is absolutely gorgeous, but indoor space is limited, so unless your party is going to be less than 120 people, plan to have the event outside in a tent. And, if you'll be using a tent, you should know that the DuPortail House has an exclusive contract with EventQuip for tent rentals, and that they are not the cheapest in the area -- although the tent they put up was absolutely gorgeous, we spent a lot more money in the end than we intended when we first signed the contract (though it didn't help that our guest count rose by 30 people in the fortnight leading up to the event -- but everyone was very flexible in finding ways to accommodate our 150-guest party...hence the increased tent costs).

These inconveniences aside, we had plenty of access to the house in the months leading up to the wedding, whether to show the caterer and florist around or to discuss the best place on the premises to hold the ceremony. Our contact was there on the wedding day to make sure nothing went wrong and there was always a board member in contact with us during times of transition. Overall, it was a very positive experience.

Profile Picture Marielle, 9/13/09, 5 Reviews