douglaslevy photography Reviews

130 | Ayer, MA

130 Reviews for douglaslevy photography

I cannot say enough great things about Doug, but I will do my best!
    From the first conversation with Doug, it was clear that he was the perfect choice. He is the quintessential professional yet somehow friendly and funny at the same time. We immediately felt like we had known him for years and trusted him 1,000% to deliver an amazing product. Whether we communicated by an old-fashioned telephone call, email, or facebook, Doug's response was extremely quick.
    On the event day, Doug made sure to fit in photos of the bridal party getting ready, the ring-bearer/retired Army pup getting his tux on, and then staged family photos with both the bride and groom's families. During the ceremony, he managed to move from one floor to another in a difficult to maneuver venue (Fenway Park). During the reception, we had no clue where Doug was, but if we wanted to talk to him we easily discovered his where-a-bouts, usually only a few feet away.
    Not only is his portfolio beautiful, but our finished product is incredible. We took our time clicking through each photo and found ourselves saying "I love this one!" over and over again.
    In 50 years, our wedding photos will still be beautiful, tasteful, and just remarkable. The value in Doug's work is his ability to capture the "feeling" of each moment with truly timeless photos that are also contemporary and creative. We cannot thank him enough for giving us the perfect photographic story of our wedding day.

Sent on 09/30/2014

I cannot say enough great things about Doug, but I will do my best!

Sent on 09/30/2014

Lindsay · Married on 09/12/2014

I could be considered biased since Doug has been a friend of mine for more than 10 years, but researching wedding photographers (even though I knew from the start I wanted to hire Doug) proved that he is among the best in the market. Our wedding was small and relatively fuss-free, and working with Doug was equally easy. Midway through planning our wedding, my husband and I moved from Boston to Birmingham, AL, and Doug was professional and honest enough to send us a small refund for the difference in taxes. As a bride and groom spending money hand over fist, we appreciate that. On the wedding day itself, Doug was relaxed and went with the flow, which put us at ease and let us enjoy the day rather than feel like it had to be regimented and staged. We received a link to all of our images, as well as the USB containing the high-res, unwatermarked images, less than two weeks after the wedding. As we expected, they were filled with special, candid moments and completely captured the joy of the event. We couldn't be happier with the service, the booking/payment process, and the photos themselves. Thanks, Doug!

Sent on 10/01/2014

Matthew · Married on 08/24/2014

Quality of Service: Doug's pictures and the manner in which his work-product is presented are both beautiful and polished.
    Responsiveness: No other vendor was as responsive as Doug. He fully responded to every inquiry my wife, father-in-law, or myself made, and usually within minutes.
    Professionalism: Doug and his team demonstrated veteran professionalism from day 1. He is timely, efficient, responsive, always prepared, courteous, and congenial.
    Value: We could not be more content with Doug's work-product/cost proposition.
    Flexibility: My wife and I had very hectic schedules leading up to the wedding, and Doug was always able to work around them, from last minute conference calls to last minute engagement shoots.

Sent on 09/10/2014

Christina · Married on 07/26/2014

Doug definitely deserves a 5/5 rating. He was so timely with emails, and an awesome person to talk with. Totally down to earth and very professional. I would recommend him to anyone! On our wedding day, he (and his assistants) were all so efficient and considerate, we are able to enjoy all of cocktail hour all the while getting in every picture we wanted. He knew what pictures we wanted (having talked multiple times prior to the wedding) that I didn't even have to worry about it that night. Also important to note: The fact that we got our finished pictures while we were still on our honeymoon absolutely floored us. We had our proofs within days, our USB drive with pictures within 2 weeks, and our finished photo album within 3 weeks! (Not to mention it's "busy season!") The quality of every picture was spectacular and I'm so happy we went with Doug as our photographer.

Sent on 08/17/2014

Jill · Married on 07/20/2014

Doug is extremely professional and fun to work with photographer. We stole him from friends of ours that got married the previous year and liked how he was able to capture special moments throughout the ceremony and reception. Doug is very prompt in answering any questions you may have throughout the wedding planning process. He works with you individually to create the style of photos you prefer. We thoroughly enjoyed working with Doug and his wife on the day of our wedding and could not be happier with the photos of our special day.

Sent on 08/06/2014

Tony · Married on 06/21/2014

Doug is a gifted artist. We performed an exhaustive search of photographers. His photographs were stunning - they evoked real emotions and really captured the physical beauty of his subjects and the magnitude of the moments. We solicited blind test opinions from our friends and family and from professional photographers. Everyone overwhelmingly preferred the work of Douglas Levy Photography. We also met in-person with many photographers and Doug was our clear pick after that round as well.

Doug came down to New York City for our engagement shoot and we had an awesome time shooting all around Manhattan. Doug's personality made it easy to feel and act naturally in front of the camera. He was funny, quick, considerate, and personable and really made the shoot feel like hanging out with a friend in the park. The photos were ready later that week and absolutely blew us away. He really captured our chemistry and we looked amazing!

The wedding day was a marathon. Doug and his team pulled it off masterfully. He prepared us with clear and timely communication leading up to the event. We had large bridal party, a space capsule, a dinosaur with a bow tie, and all sorts of twists throughout the day. Doug adjusted without missing a beat. Getting ready, the first look, the bridal party and parents, the ceremony, formal photos, cocktail hour, the reception, toasts, dances, etc. There was a lot of posing and smiling but Doug and the team managed to make it all fun for everyone while keeping things moving along.

The photos were ready just a few days later!! The developed work was gorgeous and of outstanding quality and artistry. Elegant processional shots to heartfelt candid moments, they absolutely nailed it and immortalized so many fantastic moments! These breathtaking photographs will be our family's cherished possessions. We could not be happier that we chose Douglas Levy Photography and I sincerely give Doug and his team my highest recommendation.

Sent on 07/10/2014
  • User4208141 · 2+ years ago

Choosing the right photographer was probably more important to me than choosing my wedding dress. I am that girl who always has her camera with her…the one who forces all of her friends to get together for pictures and who comes home from a night out with 100+ pictures regardless of whether we were at a pub, party, wedding, etc. My (now) husband and I were so lucky that we found Doug and his team in time to hire him for our wedding day. Doug and his team not only met but exceeded our expectations on multiple levels. We were not the best/most organized wedding planners to say the least and Doug was patient, helpful and communicative throughout the entire process. After meeting Doug for the first time, my husband and I were so impressed with his work and professionalism. We also really connected with his personality and felt like he cared to get to know us/understand us and what we were looking for in a photographer, while also giving us honest feedback. We had so much confidence in Doug from the get go that we contacted him throughout the wedding planning process to get referrals for our other vendors, such as our videographer, DJ, photo booth, etc. Doug's team is beyond creative, professional, talented, unique..the list goes on and on. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING THERE FOR US DOUG!

Sent on 06/27/2014

Jess · Married on 05/24/2014

Plain and simple, Doug is AMAZING. His quality of work and ability to make you comfortable is unmatched. He is so organized and on top of everything, and when you are trying to plan a bunch of other things for your wedding this is so important. One of my favorite things about Doug, is his response time. You can email him any time/day and he will get back to you within the hour, even if he's just responding to acknowledge your message and he'll get back to you later. No other vendor was as responsive and on top of everything as Doug was. Being type A, this was extremely important to me, I never had to sit around and wait for him or follow up with him to get an answer. We got our engagement and wedding pictures back within a few weeks, which is not the norm (in a good way). We also had our wedding album a few months after the wedding. Some of my friends who got married in 2013 are still waiting on theirs, so it was nice that we got to show ours off so soon after the wedding! Most importantly, the pictures turned out amazing. He got a great mix of candids and did not put us in any uncomfortable staged photos. After we got our pictures back, people kept telling us how great our pictures were. Bottom line, Doug is everything you want in a photographer and is a true professional!

Sent on 12/07/2014

Rachel · Married on 05/03/2014

We could not have had a better time with Doug - not only did he capture some absolutely magical moments, he was just a blast to work with. We liked him from our first conversation and the whole experience from start to finish was wonderful. As we said to friends and family, find a reason to have him follow you around with a camera - you will be so very glad you did.

Some wedding photographers are very overly-serious about their 'work' and seem to think less about the people and the event - one we talked to assured us that our photos would look like they belonged in Vanity Fair. We didn't want that. We wanted beautiful pictures of people having fun as a record of our happy day. Doug did that and so much more - he is a storyteller with his camera - he captured the mood and the people and the personalities and the special small moments that is what makes a picture come to life.

Sent on 05/29/2014

Doug not only shoots amazing photos, but he has absolutely no ego and is super chill about taking suggestions for different shots. He was so easy to get along with and put us at ease with his quiet confidence. We loved our mix of candid and posed shots and it is amazing how many pictures he got shooting alone. I look at our pictures from both the engagement shoot and the wedding and I see "us." Doug doesn't force any awkward poses or unnatural shots, and the result is that he gets people in true moments of happiness, love and contentment. We were so happy with Doug and would recommend him to anyone. We just feel lucky that we were able to get on his calendar and book him :)

Sent on 05/27/2014

Melanie · Married on 02/22/2014

Doug Levy is an incredibly talented photographer and story teller. He was quietly capturing true and deeply emotional moments during our wedding without us ever noticing that we were being photographed. He was able to blend in so that I never felt that I had to pose for the camera. At the end, I received photographs where my husband and I actually look like ourselves. Somehow, he was able to take photo's of me without my ugly cry face, which I wore the entire time!

Doug didn't exclusively take lovely candid photos either. He also took some of those traditional staged family portraits, which are typically quite boring and go into a frame at the bottom of a drawer. I wish I could post the photo here, but Doug captured one of the greatest family portraits I've ever seen. In the course of just a moment, my 2yr old nephew burst into laughter, and the rest of us started genuinely laughing along side. Doug snapped the photo at just that time, and amazingly our entire family looks gleeful and bursting with happiness, as we actually felt on that day. I never thought I could love a "traditional" photo so much!

Beyond his beautiful photography, Doug was incredibly fair and transparent in his pricing and terms. He went far above and beyond my expectations when accommodating some of my particular requests. Photography is an extremely important part of planning a wedding because the day goes by so fast that these photos replace your own memories. I could not have been happier with my choice of photographer, and thanks to Doug Levy, I have a collection of beautiful memories to reflect on for the rest of my life.

Sent on 08/06/2014

Lindsay · Married on 11/02/2013

One of the most difficult decisions of the entire wedding planning process was picking a photographer. It felt like we looked at every photographer in New England’s portfolio and every time we came back to Doug’s. His ability to capture the natural, candid moments really shined through. In our initial meeting with him it was immediately clear that he was the right photographer for us. His passion for photography was abundantly evident. You could tell by the way he described how a particular photo we really liked came to fruition that this was a guy who really had an eye for the dramatic, that there was nothing he wouldn’t do to get the ultimate shot. In addition, Doug’s turnaround time when answering questions was always immediate. We were blessed with a beautiful 65 Degree November day. Our main concern with it being so late into fall was the lack of foliage and having that bare, dead look in the background of our photos. What really stood out is Doug’s ability to adapt to the environment. His natural talent shined through when picking the spots to maximize color and contrast, setting us up with that one tree still holding on to the colors of Fall making it look like we were in the midst of the beautiful peak foliage of New England. There are more than a few photos taken where I didn’t even know he was there taking them and wondered how he was able to get right into the middle of everything and remain completely invisible. Every candid photo he took has a laugh or a smile, looking back through the photos almost transports you back to each moment as if you’re living it in the present. We would highly recommend Doug to anyone in search of a wedding photographer. His wife Jess who mans the lights and his #2 for the day Ben were just as great to work with as Doug. He really put together an all-star team for our wedding. We couldn’t be happier with how our photos came out. Everyone has also had the same reaction to our photos, that our photographer did an amazing job!

Sent on 12/18/2013

We cannot say enough good things about Doug. We are incredibly happy with the services he provided! Things we loved about working with Doug:
    - He responds to emails and questions incredibly quickly
    - His turn-around time for our engagement pictures was less than a week and for our wedding was about 2.5 weeks
    - Along with the assistant photographer, Doug worked incredibly hard at our wedding and captured moments in his photos that we will treasure forever
    - Most importantly - his pictures are incredible!! They are beautiful and very high quality. Classic and modern at the same time. He captured everything we asked for during the day along with things we didn't even think of. Doug has a depth of expertise and was able to guide us based on his own experience when we were trying to plan our day

We have recommended Doug to everyone we know - he is worth every penny!

Sent on 12/08/2013

Allison · Married on 09/15/2013

Doug captured our day perfectly. Besides his incredible work, what made us hire Doug was his story. I loved the fact that he came from a sports background and wound up in the world of wedding photography. His intro video was inspiring, and I immediately trusted him to do the job.

The last thing a bride needs is added stress, and Doug was the easiest person to work with. I asked a million questions, and I always received a quick response. By quick response, I mean within an hour, or and times within minutes!

When we returned from our honeymoon, I had an email saying the photos were ready. The final product was amazing and clean, just how I imagined them. Now we have wonderful images to remember every part of the day with everyone we shared it with.

Amazing job well done. Thank you, Doug!

Sent on 05/23/2014

I'm not sure when Doug sleeps, he is so quick to respond to emails (I don't think it was ever more than 20 minutes) and the turn-around time for our engagement photos and wedding photos was amazing. On top of that Doug is a truly talented photographer and is really easy-going.
    I recommend Doug to any couple looking for a wedding photographer.

Sent on 09/21/2013

I knew when i started wedding planning that the photographer was one of the most important pieces to our wedding. When i started browsing through different photographers, I quickly learned that my extravagant taste came with a price... Until i stumbled upon Doug. Not only was he responsive and easy to work with right from the start, his price point was completely realistic. Above all, he captured our entire wedding better than I could have ever imagined. He caught moments I didn't even know happened! Did I mention that we received the pictures 4 (!) days after our wedding?! I feel like that is basically unheard of.

We couldn't be happier with Doug and would wholeheartedly recommend him to any bride who is stressed about this part of planning. I truly hope I get to work with him again in the future.

Sent on 09/13/2013

Kelly · Married on 09/01/2013

I could not have been happier with Doug as my photographer. He always responded to any email or phone call immediately. I had my engagement pictures back within a week and my wedding pictures back before I was even home from our honeymoon! Not only are his pictures beautiful but he's very personable and easy to work with.

Sent on 09/18/2013

Emily · Married on 08/31/2013

Doug, his assistant photographer and his wife Jess who helped Doug throughout our wedding were amazing! Our photos were ready so quickly which was an additional bonus and so fun to look at while we were on our honeymoon. Doug has a good sense of humor and is un-phased by any changes or hiccups. The other great thing I would say about Doug is that he floats around almost unnoticed. I can't even imagine how he got some of the shots he did! I hope many friends will use him in the future and I would recommend him and his team to anyone.

Sent on 09/09/2013

Sarah · Married on 07/27/2013

We LOVED working with Doug! He shot my sister's wedding back in June 2011. When Brian and I got engaged he was the first vendor that I called! Doug is so down to earth and extremely easy to work with. From our engagement shoot to our actual wedding day, Doug made the process so easy. He offered great suggestions while planning the wedding. He was also EXTREMELY prompt in responding to all my emails. As a nervous bride (perhaps a little bridezilla?!?!) that really put my mind at ease. :)
    He is not big on "posing" pictures, which I absolutely loved. His pictures are natural and genuine to the feelings and excitement of our big day. Also, Doug is basically Houdini, because it was like he wasn't even there! At other weddings I have been to, the photographers have been in the way and very "in your face". Doug is not like that at all! Yet, he captured all the great moments from getting ready to the late night dancing.
    My husband and I are so happy that we have amazing pictures that will help us remember our wedding day. I would absolutely recommend Doug to anyone. He is the best!

Sent on 08/09/2013

Paula · Married on 07/27/2013

Doug photographed both of our daughters weddings. Brett in 2011 and Sarah 2013. We love how Doug captures the joy and happiness not only in the bride and groom, but in the guests as well. We look back on the pictures and they bring us right back to the moment whether it was 2 weeks ago or 2 years ago. Doug is a very talented photographer. He is extremly professional and dedicated to his craft. We are so very pleased with Doug's work. Although we have no more daughters to marry (whew) we hope that in a few years there will be little ones to photograph! Can't thank you enough!
    Paula and Roger Sanderson

Sent on 08/09/2013

Claire · Married on 07/14/2013

I'm just going to gush a little more by adding on to my husband's post - Doug is wonderful. I usually hate having my picture taken (I'm the person in group photos who hides behind the tall people or makes a stupid face out of nerves), so choosing a wedding photographer that we could trust to capture us at our best was really important. From day one, Doug was professional, informative, and clearly dedicated to making our experience exactly how we envisioned it. By the time the wedding came along, I really felt like we knew Doug, and that he knew and understood us - photographs were not something that I had to worry about on that day. After seeing the photos (which Doug got to us just two weeks after the wedding!), I'm even more impressed. Like Mike said in his post, Doug (and Ben) managed to capture every detail and every special moment of the day; he was creative but not over-the-top artsy, always nearby every time we wanted him for something (if not already taking that very picture), but not at all intrusive - a true pleasure to work with overall. I enthusiastically recommend him to anyone in the New England area!

Sent on 08/03/2013

Karen · Married on 07/12/2013

I can't say enough about Doug. His work is just beautiful and he is extremely professional and downright a cool guy. We chose a package for our wedding that included engagement photos. Our pictures came out so nice and he put them together in a nice signing book that we used for the wedding. At the wedding itself, Doug captured every moment without really being noticeable. He is very high tech and even had a small monitor at the venue that showed a slideshow of the pictures we took before the wedding! Our guests really enjoyed that! IN addition, he is QUICK! I was soo excited to see our pictures but knew it would probably be a few weeks. Nope, DOug had them done within days. They came out so stunning, his style is just so creative and gorgeous, I couldn't be happier with the results. I can't wait for our photo book!! Thanks Doug!!

Sent on 07/21/2013

Carolyn · Married on 07/06/2013

Doug and his wife were awesome! They were able to capture great moments in even in our under 5 minute ceremony in over 90 degree weather! They make it easy to act like any other day, just with better posture! We are delighted with our photos as well as communication throughout the process!

Sent on 07/17/2013

Kim · Married on 06/29/2013

Doug was great to work with. He always responded to my e-mails and questions the same day and our photos came out great!

Sent on 08/21/2013