Dolly Couture Bridal Reviews

Dolly Couture Bridal 1
Dolly Couture Bridal 2
Dolly Couture Bridal 3

Amy · Married on 11/03/2012

I was very hesitant when ordering a dress online. I wanted a tea length gown but I couldn't find one in any bridal shop anywhere! I decided to go custom, and that made me very nervous too.

Nickie at Dolly Couture put me at ease completely. If I could give her 100/5 I would. She actually shipped me a sample of a gown like mine for only the cost of shipping so I could see what I thought. I just couldn't believe she was that flexible. I kept it for a while and made sure everything was right, and sent her very detailed measurements and instructions, pulled from other photos I've seen to put together EXACTLY what I had in my mind. When it shipped (VERY quickly for a custom gown) I was nervous, I knew I'd have to get alterations or something, but it was perfect. Perfect fit, perfect color, perfect fabric, and I am VERY picky - hence having to go with a custom gown.

Nickie's service and Dolly Couture dedication were incredible. I counted up over 50 emails back and forth I sent with Nickie and each time she was completely responsive and fantastic. Overall I got a completely custom made gown for under $700.

Nickie and her team really went above and beyond - she even called me when she wasn't sure about one VERY MINOR detail of the dress. I knew I was in good hands, but I was just floored! I cannot recommend them enough.

The only tine 0.5 less thing I could possibly say about this dress is that some of the fabric doesn't look completely luxury - but it's not really supposed to. But it's MUCH better than what you'll find at David's Bridal. Or it might just look that way because I'm not that familiar with what a white dress should look like! I got an organza overlay on my dress and overall it really looks fantastic.

Dolly Couture is the perfect match for any picky bride who knows what she wants. If you want to be a little nontraditional with your dress length, style or even color they have you completely covered. My dress was one of their more expensive gowns and I still feel like I got a STEAL. If you're on the fence about ordering a dress online - go with Dolly. You won't be disappointed.

Sent on 08/09/2012

It was such a pleasure dealing with Dolly Couture in ordering my modified Beverlywood dress all the way from Australia. When I first started to look for a wedding dress I found that there were lots of dresses out there that were beautiful, but just not ‘me’. I was so thrilled to first find Dolly Couture and second be spoilt for choice.
    Throughout the ordering process I found the staff helpful and patient with my ongoing questions. The dress arrived promptly and fit beautifully straight out of the box. There was a slip up whereby the protruding lace hem was made with the wrong fabric. The responsiveness and professionalism in which this was handled by the team at Dolly Couture was outstanding.
    On the day the dress was a dream to wear and dance in. I received so many compliments. Thanks Dolly Couture!

Sent on 09/04/2012

E · Married on 10/01/2011

I had planned on going with a long dress and then about six weeks before my wedding i changed my mind and decided to go short. Dolly Couture was incredibly helpful in getting a dress to me on short notice. I even had time to get one layer of crinoline taken out. I know that everyone tells the bride she looks beautiful, but people did genuinely seem into my dress. I'm so glad I went short.

Sent on 10/26/2011

Anne · Married on 12/07/2009

I was an early Dolly bride, before she had her Facebook page, and I dealt directly with Dolly myself. She couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful and was very patient as I vacillated between ideas and hesitated over whether to buy a dress online from another continent. In the end, I went with it and it was the best decision I ever made. The dress was extremely good quality and fantastic value, even taking into consideration the import taxes I had to pay. It was at least a size too big on the bust (fit perfectly around the waist) but this was not a problem as Dolly clearly states that you should source a local seamstress and allow time for alterations to ensure a perfect fit given that you are buying online. My dress was customised with a beautiful floor length tulle train decorated with flowers and ribbon that matched those around the hem of the dress. Beautiful as it was, this is where my only mild criticism is, because it came with 2 safety pins to attach it to the dress which were fiddly and I thought could damage the dress - I solved this by asking my seamstress to add some 'invisible' hooks and eyes which worked perfectly. All round, fantastic quality and service.

Sent on 04/06/2011

Janelle · Married on 05/25/2019

For me, choosing a wedding dress was the easiest aspect of my wedding planning. I had been eyeing Dolly Couture dresses for about 2 years, so when the time came for me I already knew exactly which one I wanted: the Manhattan.
    I made an appointment at the Tarzana showroom, tried on a perfect fit, and went home to order it online. 10 weeks later it was at my doorstep, a perfect fit with no alterations required!
    How did I get so lucky?!
    I also love the Facebook integration allowing clients to tag photos and see what other brides have looked like in their custom Dolly dresses. It definitely helps get that inspiration flowing!

Sent on 09/05/2011
  • Justine

Justine · Married on 10/13/2018

So much YES!

The dress was perfect and Merrie is absolutely wonderful!

Sent on 10/19/2018
    Dolly Couture Bridal 4
    Dolly Couture Bridal 5
    Dolly Couture Bridal 6

so much thanks!!!

thank you for the wonderful words i'm honored that you were a DCB. i love the photos of you at the studio and on your big day. thanks for sharing

merrie
    xoxo
  • kat

Kathryn · Married on 05/04/2014

Abby was my consultant over the phone. She was easy to reach and gave great advice over the phone. She made me feel comfortable with the purchase especially since it was over the phone. I was able to try the dress on a year before I bought the dress. It was not the typically bridal experience that you see on those wedding dress shows. I loved the dress. The quality was great. The experience was great. I would absolutely recommend Dolly Couture to any future bride.

Sent on 07/05/2014
  • User3202758 · 2+ years ago

This place is awesome! I went to New York City to find my dress since NO shops in NOVA, MD, or DC carried a tea length dress with sleeves. Personally, I think every wedding dress out there looks the same; a strapless ballgown.

But Dolly Couture is fabulous. Most of the dresses are tea length and they have a HUGE selection to choose from and a nice price point. The dresses start at $500, and go up from there. I personally did not want to spend to a great deal on my dress, but fell in love with the Black Label Beverlywood. So my desire for a cheap dress went out the window, but I bought exactly what I wanted.

Yvette in NYC was fantastic and let me try on at least 10 different dresses. I suggest going to their website and seeing all the have to offer. Via email I corresponded with Montana on the dresses status and she was always quick to get back to me.

They have physical stores in Los Angeles and New York, but most of it is online.

Sent on 10/09/2013
  • Kathryn

Kathryn · Married on 09/15/2012

Did a custom designed dress for me from their showroom in NYC. Such adorable and beautifully made dresses! The only place that does vintage-style, tea length wedding dresses right! They even were able to take fabric from my mother's wedding dress and incorporate it into mine. Now THAT'S amazing.

Sent on 10/18/2012

I bought a dress from Dolly Couture in NYC. They were very professional and helped me choose the perfect dress for my unique vintage wedding. They make each dress so it is very easily customizable. They even allow you to customize it to your size so minimal tailoring is needed later. My only critique is that on wedding day I was snipping off bits of elastic. It didn't ruin my dress but the lace parts had little elastic threads (almost looks like the threads after you hot glue gun a craft) and I had to snip them off.

Sent on 09/04/2013

My dress was absolutely beautiful and SO well made. My partner bought hers from David's Bridal and the experiences we each had are so far apart you cannot even compare them. I went to the Dolly Couture showroom in NYC to try on their dresses which made me incredibly comfortable with them and with their product, I don't know that I would have had the guts to just order it online without seeing it, but I can tell you that the quality was outstanding and the dress is GORGEOUS. The construction of the dress is impeccable, and Dolly's understanding of the feminine form is amazing. I got many compliments on the dress and a number of people suggested I find another place to wear it because it is so flattering. Haha, let me know if you think of other places I could do that!

Sent on 10/09/2012

Chelsea · Married on 04/28/2012

I bought my Dolly Couture dress online and had a wonderful experience. I was a little worried about the inherent risks of ordering my wedding dress online, but everything worked out wonderfully. The measurements they gave for the different dress sizes were accurate and the dress was made out of nice materials and overall well-made. It was sturdy! They were also extremely quick! I think I got my dress 3 weeks quicker than they estimated, which was a pleasant surprise. It was hard finding a dress that fit my qualifications (not strapless, lace, tea-length, reasonable price), but Dolly Couture perfectly fit my vision. I ended up having a couple of small alterations done (took out some of the tulle underneath to make it a little less poofy and stitched the front lace a bit to make it lie better on my chest), but otherwise it fit well. If the 50s vintage style dress is what you are looking for, Dolly couture is the way to go.

Sent on 10/28/2012

Claire · Married on 11/01/2014

4.2
      3.5

I really wanted a tea length or shorter wedding dress, and I had a really hard time finding stores in my area that carried them. I also wear a size 24 dress, so I had a doubly difficult time finding dress shops that could accommodate a fitting for me. I visited the DC showroom in Los Angeles, and they had several plus sized dresses available for me to try on. I went into the store with a pretty good idea of what I wanted, just based on their website, but in the end I picked a completely different dress and fabric. I was able to customize my dress and my fabric choices, and I still kept my dress cost under $1000.

My only criticism would be that, even though the clerk took my measurements, she ended up rounding up to the next highest regular dress size, rather than using my actual measurements to customize the dress, so it ended up being WAY too big for me. Luckily, my local alterations lady did an amazing job fitting me, but she basically had to take the dress apart and reconstruct the entire thing.

Despite that, I had a really good over-all experience with Dolly Couture. They were flexible with my schedule and happy to help me with my customization options. The dress was completed and shipped directly to my house in just a few weeks. I would definitely recommend them if you are interested in a shorter vintage style wedding dress.

Sent on 01/09/2015

4.2
      3.5

I had a 60's themed wedding and tea length dresses are not in abundance, except here. And the value is AMAZING. I gave them lower than 5 stars on a few because I did receive my dress without the petticoat sewed in like agreed and without my sash BUT they were extremely responsive and got it fixed right away.

Sent on 06/16/2013
  • Natalie

Natalie · Married on 03/25/2017

3.5

I knew before I got engaged that I wanted a tea length dress. I'm so clumsy and I've read too many horror stories involving dresses with long trains. I live in the Bay Area, so I planned a trip to SoCal and made an appointment. When you set the appointment, be prepared to say which dresses you want to try on and know your Dolly Couture size. I had to email some of that information after I set the appointment. I met with Merrie at Your Big Day. It was hard to find. The outside is just this sketchy looking warehouse, but the inside was nice. There was a sample sale going on during my appointment and my favorite dress (the Brighton) was only available a size too small. I figured I had plenty of time to lose weight before my wedding, so I bought it, but as my date got closer and the back fat wasn't coming off, this was a huge source of stress for me. The dress I ended up wearing on the day was not a Dolly and it actually looked closer to the Walnut Creek I originally wanted to try on that wasn't available. Merrie also talked me into adding a ruched belt for extra money and I regret doing that now. I feel it's going to make it harder for me to resell the dress. Oh well.

Sent on 04/03/2017

natalie,

i am sorry that you were not pleased with your experience with me. i do remember the issue with adding the sash and went back to review the emails to make sure i had all of the details. also, as with sample sales, not all styles are available in every size so again, i am sorry we did not have your original dress available. my thanks for your feedback and i will always do my best to improve the DCB experience.

merrie

3.5

I ordered a custom dress from Dolly Couture. Based on the top half of one dress - with changes, and the bottom half of another. While visiting NYC, I had my measurements taken and placed my order. 8 weeks later, the dress arrived - early. Yay! And then I checked it out. Instead of Champagne, it was White. Instead of 3/4 length sleeves, they were above the elbow. A number of other issues existed as well, mainly with measurements being very off. I contacted Nickie ASAP and provided her with photos of the measurements compared to what they should be, etc. I sent my dress back. 3 weeks later a new dress arrived. Everything was fixed EXCEPT the sleeves were just to the elbow this time and were missing the buttons that help them to be fitted. However, with an upcoming wedding I couldn't send it back AGAIN. So I sucked it up that I would have *nearly* my dream dress and they sent the buttons and I had a local gal put them on.

While the sleeves left me sad (seriously - proper 3/4 length is much more flattering), the dress did look beautiful. I've had so many compliments. My big complaint is that the errors never should have occurred. The sleeves, when measured, are still not the right length as we discussed on my purchase contract or the revision. HOWEVER, Nickie and the DC office were nothing but apologetic about the errors and incredibly helpful. In the end, I'm still glad I went with a Dolly dress.

Sent on 11/05/2012
  • Octomama

Lily · Married on 08/15/2009

3.5

If you are looking for shorter, vintage style wedding dresses, Dolly Couture is the place to go. A little risky ordering online, but well worth it. Quality material, great customer service, and truly unique wedding dresses. I ordered the "Marin County" and loved it! You can even see "real brides" wearing these dresses on facebook. Made it a lot easier to imagine how I'd look in her dresses. Highly recommended.

Sent on 09/04/2009

Jennifer · Married on 10/10/2009

3.8
      3.0

I was so excited when I found Dolly Couture. She made dresses that were in the style I had dreamed of for my wedding. I was skeptical of the quality due to the reasonable cost, and the outsourcing of the dressmaking. I also was a little skeptical because a lot of the dresses on real brides on her facebook page looked ill-fitting/cheap. I decided to go with her anyway and was so excited that she could make my dream dress a reality. Dolly & her staff are very responsive and open to any idea you may throw their way. We went back and forth for maybe a month and finally nailed down exactly what I wanted. Well... it took a lot longer than expected to arrive and when it arrived it was HORRIBLE! It was a week before the wedding with little time for alterations. The quality was fantastic but the cut was all wrong. It was HUGE and the sweetheart neckline was about 5 inches too high. The sleeves were as loose as a t-shirt and they were NOT as we agreed upon (satin with lace overlay, they came as just lace) and I was pretty upset about the whole thing. I looked like a little kid playing in her grandmas closet. Luckily I was able to find someone to alter the dress on the fly and when I got it back it was stunning, but I credit the seamstress for that rather than Dolly Couture. The seamstress did remark about the fantastic quality of the dress construction though. If I did it again I would have tried to meet with Dolly in person to talk about the dress and take my measurements. No bride should have the stress I went through just 1 week before the wedding.

Sent on 12/03/2009

Brenna · Married on 08/24/2013

3.6
      2.0

I hate to write this. I've never written a review before for anything, but I need to for this.
    I knew exactly what I wanted going into the showroom in NYC. I believe my consultant was Yvette, and she was a very nice lady. However, she definitely pushed me into things I didn't want. I was looking for the Avila Bay dress, off the shoulder, with sleeves. They didn't have the entire dress that I wanted, so I tried on multiple dresses each with something that I wanted. Yvette was very insistent that I shouldn't get the ruched waist detail that comes on the dress, which I loved from the get-go, but I understood what she meant about it breaking up my body too much. She also insisted that the waist needed to be dropped, which I didn't really understand at the time, and it made the dress lay funny on my when it came. The biggest thing that bothered me was that she absolutely refused to listen to me when I said I wanted the dress shorter. I'm only 5'2, so the dress was pretty long on me. She said no, I just needed to wear heels. I tried to explain to her that I can't wear heels, not only because my wedding was outdoors on bumpy ground, but because I have problems with my feet and I literally can't wear heels for 5 minutes without not being able to walk. But she wouldn't listen. She said there was no way I could wear flats. Keep the dress the way it is, wear heels, that's that. I just gave in eventually because I figured she knows way more than me. But when I got my dress, it didn't look right. The length of the dress made me look super short. It also didn't fit, even though I hadn't gained even an inch. I was very strict about my measurements. Also the chest was super pointy, like a Madonna bra! My seamstress did her best to flatten them twice but they were still so pointy. I feel terrible for feeling this way, but I felt awful and uncomfortable in my dress. I feel like I was pressured into something I didn't want, and then what I got was even worse. I'm still sad about it

Sent on 02/23/2014

Hi Briana,

I'm deeply saddened to hear you didn't have the best experience with us. I wish you would have contacted me (or anyone of our sales experts) about this before your wedding. If we would have known about all of this, we could have corrected the dress and given you exactly what you wanted. Please know that. We do not want any unhappy brides, and we move mountains to give our brides exactly what they want. But if we don't hear about the issues until after the fact, unfortunately our hands are tied.

The problems you had have been addressed, and I'm very sorry you had this experience. I'm even more saddened we weren't given the opportunity to make things right - which we absolutely would have.

I wish you a lifetime of happiness in your marriage and thank you from the bottom of my heart you chose us.

Vanessa · Married on 07/11/2015

2.6
      1.5

There is no showroom in NYC. I was able to try on a choice of 2 dresses in the home of a store rep, which was inconvenient and strange. I liked one of the dresses and ordered it, however when it arrived it had extra puffy layers that I had to pay to get removed. The dress ended up working out well, but I would have rather gone to a regular bridal shop with more selection and service.

Sent on 07/27/2015
  • Aurora and Greg

Aurora and Greg · Married on 02/18/2012

2.6
      0.5
      3.0

I really wanted to love Dolly Couture. They had exactly the style of dress I was looking for, short vintage, so I was completely jazzed to get a dress from them. I didn't have the best of experiences, when my dress came in it fit badly, made me look like I had a bun in the oven (even though I drove 3 hours to DC to have them measure me). Also there were a couple of mistakes made on the dress such as a petticoat being sewn into the dress even though I paid extra to get a separate petticoat that I could remove. The quality of the stitching was poor as well, with some asymmetrical hems that made it look cheaply made. I had spent ALOT of money on the dress and didn't get what I thought I would. DC was very nice about it all though, they apologized and said they would fix it, so I sent the dress back to them and they ended up making me a new one. When I got that new dress in the petticoat was still sewn in and it was too late to send it back to them so I just had to work with a tailor to fix it. In the end I think DC shouldn't be charging so much for their dresses, and having some sort of quality control in place that won't let a dress get shipped if it's not made correctly.

Sent on 04/18/2012

2.2
      3.0

I was so excited when I found Dolly Couture online. I needed a dress for our elopement, and thought a short dress would be great. I went with the Beverlywood because I wanted my arms covered. Well.... I emailed to make sure of some things before ordering, was not told that a petticoat would be sewn into the dress. So I ordered one and later discovered it was unnecessary. The only asked for two measurements, which unfortunately did not fit a standard size, was between 2 sizes. So I stupidly ordered a custom (which cannot be returned). The dress arrived quite quickly, which was good. The quality was not very good (I had threads coming out from the sleeves etc and they looked awful and cheap basically). The buttons on them looked cheap and tacky and like they'd fall off pretty easily. The dress was far too big for the measurements I gave. The dress was not tight to the waist or the breasts. It was also far too short on my body, making me look far larger than I am. They really should be asking for more measurements. I'm trying to sell the disaster dress now and I bought a much more beautiful one for less than this cost. Nearly a grand wasted at the moment on dealing with this company. Oh well, shouldn't order dresses off the internet from a store that refuses to accept returns for 'custom' measurements I suppose!

Sent on 06/30/2014
  • Southern Fried Karma

Jamie & Max · Married on 10/17/2010

2.5

I was thrilled to have found Dolly Couture – a dress company that offered to make me a custom vintage-style dress in my choice of colors – but the results were disastrous. The online sales consultant was slow to return my emails. When she did return them, she was thorough and helpful. She was happy to modify a dress design for me and source two specialty fabrics. However, when I asked to get swatches of the fabric, I was told I could only get one of the fabrics. I should have known that something was wrong based on the service I received, but I had few options to get the dress I wanted. So, I took a chance on Dolly Couture based on very good online reviews. I had to pay for the entire dress upfront (rather than a deposit like most designers charge). The dress was over a month late in arriving, and, when it did, it was ill-fitted and poorly constructed. The fabric was of decent quality, but both fabrics were different colors than I requested. The custom crinoline I paid to have dyed to match was also the wrong color and did not match the dress. It was unwearable as received. Dolly offered to modify the dress, but I did not feel that we had time to modify the dress one month before my wedding given their poor history of construction and timeliness. Thankfully, I found a wearable dress at a sample sale, but I was almost without a dress due to Dolly Couture’s mistakes. I was also out almost $1,000 (not including the new dress) as they refused to refund any of my money based on their mistakes.

Sent on 11/09/2010