DJae Melee Reviews

116 | Uncasville, CT

116 Reviews for DJae Melee

Jessica · Married on 04/07/2013

Jae was awesome to work with. He played all of the music we requested and kept everyone dancing all night long. His online planning form makes planning out the music super easy too!

Sent on 05/23/2013

Melee was great as a DJ. When we first met with him, we had seen other DJs but hadn't clicked with any of them. Melee was down to earth and was just right for what we had in mind. We met with him again about 2 weeks before the wedding to go over song details and he was right on target on the day of the wedding. I would definitely recommend him he was one of my favorite vendors.

Sent on 12/06/2012
  • User2099800 · 2+ years ago

We booked Melee without ever having met him in person. The few times I had need to email him, he replied within the week (sometimes I posted on his Facebook to catch his attention, but I think he would have replied even without that). About 2-3 weeks before my wedding we met in person for the first time- he was really down to earth and willing to play whatever type of music we asked for. The ceremony music was perfect and exactly what I wanted- we could hear it back in our hiding place, so I don't think the guests had any trouble hearing it! I don't know if we used Melee's mics for the ceremony or the JOPs- it sounded to me like they were cutting out a bit, but who knows? It might have just been I couldn't hear the echo. I didn't hear any complaints from our guests. For the reception, we only had two small problems. The first logistics with my venue- Jae came down to talk to us before the entrance, so he had to run back to his table (a long trip outside, along the building, then up some stairs before getting inside). We wanted a low-key intro, so instead of waiting for him we just sort of walked in. Most everyone was still at the bar anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. This was a logistics problem more than anything. The other issue was my fault- for our first dance, M/S dance and D/F dance, I had linked him to youtube videos of the songs I wanted. I didn't realize how long they were, and I never told him to cut them short, so for each song we got about half way through and then started trying to look up and tell him to cut the song… but we just had to dance through it. So advice to future brides: make sure you ask your DJ to cut the dance songs shorter. Other than that, he had the dance floor packed all night (thanks in part to my party hard family!), and played some great music. The only songs I really wanted, I remember he played, and the song I asked for as the last song he also played.

Sent on 06/28/2012

Carrie · Married on 04/21/2012

DJae Melee is great! I had seen other brides recommend him so I decided to contact him. I met with him that week and booked him on the spot. I wanted a DJ who would be able to play to the crowd to get everyone dancing, not overpower with MC'ing or comments, and was a reasonable price. DJae Melee filled all of our requirements. After the wedding we were getting compliments on how good he was. The only negative was sometimes communication was a little slow but I do understand that I was not his only client so it didn't bother me too much. I would definitely recommend him to anyone.

Sent on 05/14/2012

Sarah · Married on 03/05/2011

Jae Palermo is THE MAN! He DJed our wedding on March 5, 2011 and we would recommend him to everyone. He made a custom entrance for our bridal party, and provided many suggestions for songs for parent dances, which we needed some help with. We really can't say enough about Jae- he is awesome. Everyone had the best time ever at our wedding and complimented him over and over. He also played some polkas for us since that was requested. If he is available for your wedding- we highly recommend that you book him. There is NOTHING you will be disappointed with!!!! His lights were awesome, music was great THANK YOU JAE!!!!

Sent on 04/02/2011

Kelly · Married on 10/17/2010

We are very happy we booked Jason for our wedding. He did a great job with his small ceremony set up and with the reception. He was able to incorporate spanish music in with our reception which our family loved. We had a daytime wedding and there were still always people out on the dance floor having fun. He also is very affordable and knows his stuff.

Sent on 11/02/2010

Jennifer · Married on 09/13/2014

3.5

Dj Melee was such an amazing DJ. He DJ'd our wedding at the Riverhouse at Goodspeed Station. We had made a list of songs that we wanted to be played (obviously not enough to cover the whole time) but he played music that he put in the playlist as well. He knew exactly what we were looking for that got everyone up on their feet dancing the whole time!! I would highly recommend him. He is able to put together a piece of music so you can get exactly what you are looking for!

Sent on 11/12/2014

Amy · Married on 11/10/2012

3.5

A board favorite and Jae did not disappoint.Like others have said before, communication before the day of can be spotty, but never fear, the week before he is there for you and certainly is the day of! His online tool was so helpful for us.

Sent on 12/15/2012
  • User2719732 · 2+ years ago

DJae Melee is an amazing DJ, he is very nice and experienced with weddings. On the wedding day everything went beautifully, he played the right songs to keep the dance floor full and he was perfect with announcement. He worked with my husband on a custom entrance mix and it was awesome. Jae also did uplighting in the room which looked beautiful. His prices are so affordable and you can tell he enjoys what he does.
    My only critique would the communication, Jae's business has obviously grown significantly in the last few years. As a bride sometimes it is easier for me to shoot an email off with a question, sometimes the email would get lost in the shuffle. However if it was something urgent or once the wedding date got closer, if I picked up the phone I would hear from him within 24 hours. I would not change a thing, we enjoyed working with Jae and he did an awesome job on our wedding day!

Sent on 10/29/2012

Melissa · Married on 09/03/2010

DJ Melee was very accommodating to our theme, which incorporated a wide range of music genres spanning the 1940s through modern day. He was always responsive and made time to talk through the playlist, figure out reception logistics, and check in as the wedding day was approaching.

Sent on 10/19/2010

Shauna · Married on 08/14/2010

3.0

We are very happy with the outcome of music for our reception. He arrived on time, very professional demeanor and played all the songs that we wanted. He even took some unplanned requests and accommodated my Dad's little congrats speech that we weren't expecting. Our reception turned out to be smaller and at a different venue, he dealt with all of my many changes very well. Thanks Jason - you did a fantastic job!

Sent on 08/24/2010

Selena · Married on 04/13/2017

4.2

I am very glad we had Jae at our wedding!!! He was very easy to work with, and he gave us a ceremony AND reception that just went beautifully well. There was always someone on the dance floor, and I loved the way he made it so that there was no silent or awkward moments on the dance floor. We all had a blast and danced the entire night!! Our uplighting also looked amazing!! Definitely a great touch to pull the whole venue together. Jae is a very busy man, so he is difficult to get in contact with. But I assure you, you won't be disappointed when working with him! He is great! Thank you Jae!

Sent on 05/07/2017

4.2
      2.0

Jae delivered an incredible party with music that kept our guests dancing the entire night. We had such a blast and couldn't get off the dance floor. He played mixes of songs that were amazing!! He isn't the most responsive in the beginning, but closer to the wedding he was much more prompt getting back to us, and I couldn't have been more pleased with everything the day of. Jae totally rocked it. And he's totally affordable, too. Highly recommend.

Sent on 04/30/2013

3.2
      1.5
      3.5

We got married a few days ago, and our wedding was really fun, people enjoyed my mother-in-law's slide show, people had fun dancing, and it was a great day. However, there were a few issues and near-misses on Jason's part.

Cons:
    - Despite having discussed bringing in a projector for a slideshow AT LENGTH with him prior to the wedding, Jason said he knew nothing about a slideshow when my mother brought him the projector the day of the wedding, which caused her significant panic.
    - My mother's family is Greek, and we had discussed with Jason before the wedding (when we booked him, even) that we wanted a few traditional Greek dancing songs played at our wedding. Jason informed us that he had DJ'ed for Greek weddings before, and that he had tracks. However, given that there are several different versions and regional differences in these traditional songs, my mother asked for a few examples of tracks he could play in the weeks before the wedding. Jason was not responsive to emails or calls asking for these songs, and when he did send them, they were poorly labeled and he seemed to have poor knowledge of this music. My mother did find one song he had that she liked, and asked him to play it. At the wedding, he did not play this song, but rather a song that we had not requested and that my family does not know how to dance to. When my mother went up to him and asked him to change the song to the one he had emailed us only a few days before, he said he didn't know how to find it again.

Pros:
    - He did eventually get the slideshow up and running on the projector and it ran very smoothly.
    - When he was playing the dance music, he really got people up and dancing! Our friends and family enjoyed his song choices.

Jason is a great party DJ, but he not very responsive to emails and calls and he was difficult to work with in regards to specific requests that we had for our wedding.

Sent on 10/15/2015

Tricia · Married on 05/06/2011

2.6
      2.0

Jason's prices were very reasonable, but in regards to our wedding, we felt like you got what you paid for. The quality of sound was awful, we couldn't hear the music most of the night, he refused song requests from guests, and played a CHRISTMAS SONG during dinner!! Communication before the wedding was good, but the day of services were very disappointing!

Sent on 05/22/2011

DJae Melee's reply:

I am not going to dispute anything about their opinions on my services, but I'm going to point out a few background points. First, the "Christmas" song she is referring to is Ella Fitzgerald's version of 'baby it's cold outside'. That song is not a christmas song, but a duet of love and intrigue dialogued through a mouse and a wolf. The original song was a love song, and really has only been converted to other artists for Christmas music recently in COUNTRY ALBUMS. At holiday parties, I have yet to play this song, yet I play this song at many weddings throughout the year when weather permits the use. It was not a warm day.

If they feel the sound was not adequate, I can see this happened for one reason. I was simply placed in the farthest corner from the dance floor, outlets, and their table. I told the caterer this sound situation was going to be difficult, because I was so far away from the event and dancefloor and that I had no where to hook my power up. I'm very sorry it was not adequate, I wish I could remedied the situation, but I did not have any say on where I was placed. The venue was not built for weddings, but for carousel & park use. I admit I should have gone to the venue to research the power access and acoustics, and I have changed that part of my research process for future couples.

As far as requests, I repeatedly was asked to play music that they had said not to play. I was refusing to play music that was on their DO NOT PLAY list, such as macarena, electric slide and more group stuff. I have a do not play list for each couple for a reason, and any reasonable request that was asked was made (abba-dancing queen), anything on that list was not (Kid Rock).

To be honest, I don't believe this is the reason for the dispute. My contract states that each couple must pay their final balance the Wednesday before the event, making financial conversations during or after an event unnecessary. Those conversations can be awkward and also get in the middle of saying goodbye to family and friends. This couple did not pay for services the wednesday before, and I let it go. Before, during, and after the event I was told that I would be paid by the mother of the bride. The couple left right away at the end, which forced me to confront the mother for payment. She said she had no way to pay me and that she would send a check, and then offered to have me to drive to her home at midnight. Needless to say, this made the situation exactly what I did not want. I didn't feel comfortbale in the position I was placed in, and I didn't feel comfortable putting any other person into that position. I was paid, but with an attitude like I was doing something wrong. I felt awful when I left the site, knowing I had done nothing wrong, but it still made me feel guilty.

I don't believe the couple had researched their venue enough to realize that the power provided was inadequate, I was placed well over 70 yards from the couples table and at least 30 yards from the dancefloor. These two factors would create a less than wanted sound level at any site. My sound equipment is powerful and brand new, used at Society Room in Hartford (60 foot walls) and for outdoor events covering 1000 ppl.

Again, everyone has their opinions, and I believe that every review, good or bad, improves my business. That is what reviews are for, and I appreciate her insight, and wish her and her husband and healthy and happy life together!

kathleen · Married on 03/21/2014

2.6
      1.5
      2.5

My experience with Djae Melee was not great. On the positive end, he is affordable for what he offers, has a lot of useful equipment, offers a comprehensive online planning tool, and he was pleasant to speak with prior to the wedding. Unfortunately that's it :/ We had an initial meeting via skype bc he couldn't make an in person meeting work. I told him that we were interested in him b/c he was a seasoned club dj and we didn't want to hire someone who only did weddings. We had listened to a lot of his mixes on soundcloud and they were great. I explained that we wanted a "club style" with lots of mixing and dancing and he understood. The music played was extremely important to us and my husband and I loved the planning form tool on his website. We spent a whole night filling it out, picking our favorite songs for our "must play list", and gave detailed instructions on what type of music to play when. We made it SUPER easy for him to make us happy. All he had to do was follow it. Things started to go awry once dinner started. He stopped following our plan and was barely referencing the must play list. We were actually hearing music we hated. Eventually we calmly asked him what was up. Not only did he argue with us, but he placed blame on the truly wonderful venue staff and complained that I hadn't been specific enough. He also suddenly refused to play dance music between dinner courses like we had requested, bc he said he was the professional and that wasn't how it should be done. When I asked him to do that prior he had no issue with it. He looked sulky the rest of the night, and no one started dancing till after 10pm. We spent a portion of the night just being angry that one of our vendors would actually argue with us at our own wedding. If music is really important to you and you have specific taste I would not recommend Jason's service because he made it clear to us that it is more important for him to do what he wants than to ensure the couple's satisfaction.

Sent on 05/24/2014