Dj Shakey Reviews

68 Reviews for Dj Shakey

1 User photo

• @

Debbie · Married on 09/17/2011

As I told DJ Shakey, she knows it's a success when my husband dances more than two half songs! Not only did he have fun, but most of our guests commented how on how great the music was and how they enjoyed dancing. The icing on the cake for us is when she played "Wonderwall" at the end of the night, at which point our friends spontaneously formed a circle around us and sang to us...maybe it's one of those you-had-to-be-there moments, but it was really touching and speaks to DJ Shakey's ability to read the crowd and almost psychic-pick the right tune. We will always remember that.

She's friendly, laid back, extremely professional, and a great value. You can tell by her library that she has diverse and eclectic taste in music and she's so willing to work around your preferences. We skipped most traditional reception events (first dances, announcement of bridal party, etc) but I could see she would do those things well if you needed. I can't rave about her enough!

Sent on 09/23/2011

Lauren · Married on 09/10/2011

Shakey was an amazing DJ. At first, our families were hesitant to throw a party without live music. They worried that the music would not be responsive to all guests. Shakey's choices of music and willingness to be flexible according to crowd response made our party. Shakey knew how to get and keep the party going and all guests felt included in her musical choices

Shakey is also incredibly easy to work with. Upon meeting the day of, Shakey was easily able to work together with all the vendors, thus creating a fantastic wedding.

We feel so fortunate that she was our DJ and we think she rocks for all types of occasions.

Sent on 09/22/2011

Marlo · Married on 08/18/2011

DJ Shakey was pitch-perfect! She is incredibly reasonable given her extensive resume and wonderful reputation in the press and DJ scene. She took care to understand what we wanted, how we envisioned the wedding, and even worked with us on pacing the evening. We had an Art Deco inspired wedding, and we wanted to evoke the 1930s...but we didn't want to sit in that era all night. DJ Shakey transitioned us into contemporary music as seamlessly as possible, and somehow had our young crowd dancing to swing music! There were no cheesy moments, no surprises, and she isn't a "talky" DJ -- unless you specifically ask her to be. She's extremely responsive and easy to talk to. You'll feel like you're in very good hands!

Sent on 09/06/2011
  • Morgan

Morgan · Married on 07/22/2011

DJ Shakey was awesome to work with! My husband and I are still kind of shocked at how affordable she was.

We met with her based on great reviews on Wedding Wire, and she lived up to the expectations. She was really nice, easy to work with, and is a true professional. She has a great sense of what music to play to keep the crowd happy and on the dance floor.

During dinner she played some light jazz and some mixed other songs as background music. When it was time to dance, she revved things back up very smoothly. She handled announcements (first dance, cake cutting, etc.) well and she was really friendly with my father, who made some requests and hung out with her, chatting for a while.

Sent on 07/30/2011

Lindsay · Married on 10/01/2010

D.J. Shakey was exactly what we were looking for in a wedding dj: she accommodated all of our requests at thoughtful moments, she kept the crowd dancing the entire night, and she didn't call attention to herself but ran the party very smoothly. I would definitely recommend her skills!

Sent on 05/18/2011

Kate · Married on 08/07/2009

DJ Shakey did a great job at our wedding reception. We had a mixed crowd, half American, half Mexican, with a good dollop of indie music kids, and wanted someone who could please all ears. She seemed to really understand our guests, and several people have commented on what great music she chose. The real winner was "Hang On, Sloopy," in Spanish. What fun to see all of our guests dancing and singing along with whichever lyrics they'd grown up with! She was a total professional but also patient with us amid all the planning madness. We recommend her highly.

Sent on 08/19/2009

Maria · Married on 05/02/2009

DJ Shakey was amazing.
    When we were in the planning stages, I was concerned that a DJ would be 'typical', and people would dance minimally. I thought a live band was the only way to create excitement in the room.

We went with DJ Shakey, and I was very happy. She is a master at her craft. People got up to dance for one song, and they never left the dance floor. My photographer was going to leave at a pre-arranged time, and decided to stay because there was so much fun happening on the dance floor that she wanted to capture.

I don't know how she fit in our favorite songs, but she did. We did not want an out of control DJ on a microphone. She announced the items that we needed, and held her audience captive with the amazing music she played. She appealed to all age groups, from my mother to my teenage nieces who kept raving about how cool the music was.

The caterer asked for DJ Shakey's information because he was so impressed with her mixes.

Sent on 06/06/2009

Samantha · Married on 10/14/2017

DJ Shakey kept the dance floor full and the energy high. I can't say enough about how perfect her song selections were throughout the evening. Laid-back and lovely to work with as well. I'd work with her again in a heartbeat.

Sent on 12/25/2017

A friend recommended DJ Shakey to us, and I am so glad she did -- and I, without a doubt, will recommend her to others! She was so helpful and on top of things, especially in those last couple of days when we (the couple) were stressing about last-minute details.

As for the music itself -- let's just say the moment when our first dance finished and she immediately segued into "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" by Whitney Houston, I knew it was going to be a perfect night. Her transitions were flawless. The dance floor was full all night, and everyone has been raving to us about how great the music was.

It was a perfect night, accentuated with perfect music from DJ Shakey. (By the way, her prices are extremely reasonable!)

Sent on 10/14/2013

Jennifer · Married on 09/23/2012

Julie was the best DJ we have ever seen at a wedding (we are so lucky it was ours!), we still have people telling us how amazing she was. Every single song was a favorite and she was able to accomodate a last minute request of a soundtrack to a speech. People did not want to sit down! Also, she was really cool to work with!!

Sent on 10/05/2012

Shakey isn't just a great wedding DJ, she's a great DJ. We gave her a huge list of songs and pretty much told her to do whatever she wanted. She did an outstanding job and a lot of our guests complimented her work. I've never danced so much in my life- she kept me on the dance floor for almost five hours straight. I had a blister on my foot and no complaints about it. We couldn't be happier we chose her and we'd recommend her to anyone else who is looking for a great DJ.

Sent on 10/15/2015

Samantha · Married on 10/11/2014

DJ Shakey (AKA Julie) was one of the only Dj's we spoke with, after a recommendation from our photographer. Her prices were reasonable, and we loved that she wasn't a cheesey-macarena-party favor kind of DJ. She totally understood what we wanted, and asked us questions about our music that we hadn't even thought of.

By the end of the night, we had our friends and big Italian family in a huge circle singing, "When the Moon Hits Your Eye (That's Amore)." It's one of my favorite memories of the whole day (besides actually getting married), and we owe it's spontaneous wonderfulness all to Julie.

We've had so many guests remark on how our wedding was so fun, and the best dance party. Mission accomplished! Thanks Julie!

Sent on 12/16/2014

Julie has awesome music taste and knowledge (and a huge library). She was understated, professional, and kept the focus on the music and kept the party going strong. She was also responsive, friendly, and on top of all of the little details before the event. Our guests kept complimenting our music selection, and we had to admit we didn't choose almost any of it! Highly recommended.

Sent on 05/28/2014

Greg · Married on 09/29/2012

Julie was awesome. She helped prod our collective musical memory to figure out what our tastes really were and how the music should go for the evening. She made every guest at the wedding happy with her choices over the course of the evening (from the 76 year old father, to the 8 year old niece). She took requests (where appropriate) and she helped pace the night. She was just awesome to work with. Couldn't have done it without her.

Sent on 10/17/2012

A. · Married on 09/16/2012

DJ Shakey is a very profession DJ. She handled our wedding entertainment so well, I have guests come to me at the end and said they loved all the songs that were played during our wedding. Our song list was also very diverse and custom-made and DJ Shakey was able to plan them all out so smoothly. Thank you for a wonderful memory.

Sent on 10/05/2012

We had a blast dancing the night away at our wedding thanks to DJ Shakey! She made a great playlist for us that got everyone moving. We had an eclectic mix of music picked out from her survey and she did a good job making everything flow together. Great value and service.

Sent on 09/04/2012

Kendra · Married on 08/25/2018

DJ Shakey did a fantastic job at our wedding! She was professional and easy to work with in advance of the date, showed up and set up without needing any help, and played a terrific selection of music. She's chill, smart, and a cool person. Strong recommend!

Sent on 09/23/2018

Courtney · Married on 08/10/2012

2.8
      2.0
      3.0

When we booked DJ Shakey, we were psyched- the only vendor we booked with 5 stars across the board. I'm writing this based on my wedding and maybe she was having a bad day. We spoke at great length a few days before my wedding. I made it very clear we wante dance music during the entire wedding, with few slow songs throughout. The first two hours was filled with music that, while we liked it, was not danceable. Half way through she put on the music we wanted but this was after going up to her SEVERAL times and asking for the music. I gave her the schedule which she did not adhere to. She messed up our announcement, our first dance & cake cutting. The day of she seemed very disorganized and many of the guests noticed this. It didn't ruin the night but for the amount of money we paid, I expected to here the music I clearly stated we wanted to here. She was really easy to work with and very nice but she is one of the few parts of my night that I wish I had done differently.

Sent on 08/12/2012

Dj Shakey's reply:

Hi, All my clients are very important to me, this client and I communicated and came to an amicable resolution.