Detroit Historical Museum Reviews

Detroit Historical Museum 2
Detroit Historical Museum 3
Detroit Historical Museum 4

Nicole · Married on 07/28/2018

Amazing venue and staff!!!!! Our wedding was perfect :)

Lauren · Married on 07/14/2018

Everyone at the Detroit Historical Museum made our special day amazing! Lorraine and her staff worked seamlessly with our vendors to get our venue set up just the way we wanted. All of our guests raved about the venue, saying it was the most unique and fun wedding reception they had ever been too!

Melanie · Married on 09/16/2017

My experience with Sheena at the Detroit Historical Museum was beyond exceptional. She was very responsive to every inquiry and helped to make the day stress free. I would do it all over again if I had to.

Kathleen · Married on 09/08/2017

I cannot imagine any other place being more flexible and responsive than DHS. We could bring in our beverages at our convenience, there were people to direct and help us. Prior to the date of the rehearsal dinner, anytime there was a question, I simply emailed and got a near immediate response. We did not have time to set out the centerpieces ourselves before the rehearsal dinner so I took a photo and left all of the "stuff". Staff did an outstanding job putting the centerpieces in place...better than I could have done. The tables were set up perfectly and everything looked so terrific! The bride told me she never imagined it could be this good. We are so glad to have been able to give this gift to our son. Everyone had a great time. Most of the guests even went for a tour of the museum. Thank you to DHS for creating such a memorable event.

Samantha · Married on 08/26/2017

The Detroit Historical Museum is a lovely place to host a party or wedding reception. We held our reception in the Streets of Old Detroit and received many compliments on the venue. The team was very accommodating, friendly, and worked with me on the layout to ensure I had enough seating, tables, and space for my entertainment. I was also very impressed when they offered to set-up the auditorium to stream a live pay-per-view event for my guests. This was unexpected and very much appreciated! They went above and beyond to make sure my party was flawless.

Nicholas · Married on 07/08/2017

The Detroit Historical Museum staff couldn't have been better in any way. Throughout the process, the entire staff was responsive, flexible, helpful, and professional. We loved the venue. It was such a unique experience to have the event in the Streets of Detroit. We were amazed by the venue the first time we walked into it, but on the wedding day it was incredibly beautiful. We received so many compliments about the venue from our guests. Thanks for being amazing. We appreciated everything that you did to make our wedding so successful.

Leslie · Married on 03/19/2017

Our guests loved the Dossin Great Lakes Museum, part of the Detroit Historical Society! Everyone had fun and thought it was so unique. The staff made us feel loved, supported, and cared about on our special day! And it becomes so elegant once you add chair covers, flower arrangements, and tablecloths. The museum, with it's stunning stained glass room, wowed all. Belle Isle is dream of a backdrop for pictures too. Choose this lovely place!

G · Married on 09/17/2016

Having my wedding at the Detroit historical museum was one of the best choices I could've made. The staff was friendly, professional, attentive and made my wedding absolutely perfect. I highly recommend this venue

Ezra · Married on 05/21/2016

Highly recommended! Our wedding planning went smoothly, the staff was very professional, and they were extremely helpful in dealing with the big picture and small details.

Shatara · Married on 12/19/2015

The Detroit Historical museum provided me with a wonderful venue for both my wedding ceremony and reception. The staff were so helpful and professional. All of my guests enjoyed strolling the museum exhibits and said it was so unique. Overall it was such a wonderful experience!

Sara · Married on 08/21/2015

You guys we're awesome and super helpful!

Cathryn · Married on 06/19/2015

My wedding at the Detroit Historical Museum was beyond perfect. My husband and I wanted something different than your typical hall and we got all that we wanted and more at this venue. From the planning stages through the end of the day the staff was wonderful. Dontez went above and beyond to accommodate what we invisioned.
    I loved that while we were busy taking pictures, our guests had the freedom of waking around and enjoying the museum, and being able to bring in our own caterer saved us a lot of money.
    Our guests still talk about what a great and unique venue we had outer wedding at, and I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Damon · Married on 06/06/2015

We chose the Detroit Historical Museum in the hope that we could make our day, OUR day. We did not want to be forced to eat the "cold chicken" of a mandated vendor that someone else selected for us.

The museum was amazingly helpful in letting us curate our own experience, while still providing great support and expertise. Everyone we worked with, from our coordinator to the facility staff, and even the volunteers, made it clear that this would be "our space" for the day and they were there to help.

A bonus! We were also able spend less time and money on decorating because the venue has so much inherent character and detail. While we do not plan on having another wedding (the first one worked out for us!) we would pick the Detroit Historical Museum again without hesitation.

It started off great and was a little shaky in the middle due to the power outage downtown Detroit. They ended up being very helpful and I rented out every room. It was worth it

deb · event on: 07/23/2018

From the sales process to the actual onsite event was an easy process with a flawless delivery. The staff responded quickly with information that was needed in the pre planning stage, provided a recommended list of excellent professional vendors and accommodated last minute requests.
    I look forward to repeating this event with my corporate group.
    Sincerely,
    DB

Adam · Married on 09/15/2018

The Dossin Great Lakes Museum (operated by the Detroit Historical Museum) on Belle Isle was such a unique venue, and we loved hosting our wedding there. Our coordinator, Dontez, was friendly, flexible, creative, and overall FANTASTIC to work with. Holding your wedding at the Dossin will require a little bit more work coordinating vendors (as compared to a hall) since it's a museum, but don't let that scare you away. Help is available, and it's so unique and the interior and outside view is beautiful, that it makes up for it. Our guests loved the venue, and talked about it for a long time after. CHOOSE HERE!

MaryAnne · Married on 11/04/2017

Our wedding was fantastic! Sheena and all of the staff at Dossin Center Great Lakes Museum went over and above with everything. Thank you again so much for making our day amazing!

Detroit Historical Museum 5
    Detroit Historical Museum 6
    Detroit Historical Museum 7
    Detroit Historical Museum 8

David · Married on 03/14/2015

Chose this venue on short notice. Had the wedding in the Streets of Old Detroit, Guests loved it because it was so different from the usual hotel/country club ballroom.

DWW

Nicole · Married on 06/14/2014

This was the best place for our wedding. It. Was so unique and our guests really had a nice experience. You rent one exhibit but your guests have access to the whole museum!! Plus you save so much on decorations because all of it is in the artifacts they have collected. I would definitely recommend this venue to anyone planning a unique wedding in Detroit

Valaurian · Married on 10/05/2017

The staff was awesome, and the space is such a unique venue option. SO glad I went with them. If you have a large family like myself, I'd recommend a more 'strolling' option/hybrid. Max, you can fit about 16 tables between the old streets of Detroit & the grand trunk room, so that's about 130 folks. I chose 14 tables, and put hightop near the bar, and went with an hors d'ouvres instead of a traditional buffet so that I didn't have to worry about assigning seats. It worked out VERY well.

Dontez was super creative and patient with me, as I went back and forth a fair amount about final layouts. He always had great suggestions and has such a warm and calming demeanor that it kept me relaxed and confident that things will work out.

The ONLY downside is the amount of time they give you for set up. It's about an hr & a 1/2. So warn your vendors that they may need extra staff to make that happen.

Tylise · Married on 08/01/2015

3.5

We LOVED this venue! This is not only a place to celebrate but it is an experience for your guests. My husband and I absolutely loved having our reception there and wouldn't change a thing. The staff was fast with email responses and even accommodated us if we just popped in to ask a question while planning. Dontez was absolutely wonderful and helpful during the evening of our reception and the other planning staff were just as great through the process. We had our reception set up in the Streets of Detroit and the pictures turned out fantastic. Since the flooring changes as you walk through the streets I provided flip flops for ladies that had heels. Best wedding ever was the common comment that our guests said.

Diana · Married on 09/03/2016

Overall great venue! Worth the money! Great work!

madison · Married on 10/18/2014

My wedding was held at the museum on October 18th, 2014 and it was AMAZING! Coolest, most unique location ever. There were a few miscommunications along the way with changing staff, however, we figured it all out and I had a beautiful wedding! The value was OUTSTANDING!

alisha · Married on 07/02/2016

4.2
      3.5

Go through the museum and looking at where you would like things placed. See how many people will fit in the space that you selected.