Desirees Custom Sewing Reviews

Desirees Custom Sewing 1
Desirees Custom Sewing 2
Desirees Custom Sewing 3

Molly · Married on 10/18/2014

Desiree did a fantastic job on my wedding dress! As every bride knows, things get very stressful towards the actual wedding day and I forgot about getting my dress altered until about 4 weeks before. I was in a panic wondering if I'd still be able to find someone to do it for me, then I found Desiree's Custom Sewing. I contacted her and a few hours later got a response saying she was already at her limit, but since I only needed a few small alterations she would be willing to squeeze me in last minute. I was worried about how any alterations on my dress would look since it is a very delicate lacy material, but when I got my dress back it was beautiful and fit like it was made special for me. I would definitely recommend her. She was very friendly, professional, and does beautiful work for a very reasonable price and a short amount of time.

Sent on 10/06/2014
  • Melissa

Melissa · Married on 08/22/2014

Desiree was amazing to work with. My dress had so many different hidden layers to the skirt of it and she really to her time and made the dress fit me like a glove and not drag. She also took very careful when it came to altering the halter top that had tons of beading work on it. She added a broch to the side of my dress and did a beautiful bustle! Highly recommend her!

Sent on 07/04/2014

Barbara · Married on 08/16/2014

I had my wedding dress taken in and bustled by Desiree. I moved to Virginia 3 months before the wedding and needed to find someone quick! She was more than happy to do my alterations and was so accommodating with my schedule. There wasn't one thing I wasn't happy with. Would definitely recommend her to any bride and would definitely use her services again. Also, her prices are very reasonable and she is the sweetest person!

Sent on 08/09/2014

Alison · Married on 08/08/2014

Desiree was great to work with and helped me achieve the look I wanted with my dress. I bought it off the rack and needed it taken in and chose to take out the crinoline to make the skirt smaller. I was very impressed with the quality of her work and she charged me significantly less than my bridal salon would have. I'd recommend her to any bride!

Sent on 06/19/2014

Tessa · Married on 07/19/2014

I originally had my dress altered at the bridal salon where I purchased it. Long story short, the alterations department at the salon messed up the alterations pretty badly. I contacted Desiree in a panic after being referred by a friend. Desiree saved the day and did a wonderful job! She was also very quick considering the amount of work the dress needed. She made me fall in love with my dress all over again and I can't wait to wear it on Sunday!

Sent on 07/15/2014

Bree · Married on 07/05/2014

Desiree altered my wedding dress and I could not be happier. She is extremely knowledgeable, great personality, great prices, and timely. I would recommend her to anyone! My mom is currently getting her dress altered with her as well. She is a must if your in the Hampton roads area.

Sent on 05/15/2014

Jessica · Married on 07/05/2014

Desiree is awesome. She did a great job altering my wedding dress! My dress has a lace layer on the outside and a satin layer on the inside, and she was great at working with both of them. She hemmed both layers of the dress and added a bustle to both as well. It was a gorgeous bustle. It was a pleasure to work with her and she obviously knows what she is doing. She also worked with my schedule and met me after her normal working hours so that I could come by after work. I was so happy with the work she did and happy to support her business!

Sent on 08/18/2014

Desiree was wonderful! I was still trying to lose weight so she saw me much closer to my wedding date than others would see me. Her work is beautiful and spot on. Both fittings went smoothly and she made my dress look like it was custom made for me!

Sent on 05/22/2014

Amy · Married on 05/18/2014

Desiree did an awesome job on my dress alterations. She was professional, personable, and took the time to show two of my bridesmaids how to handle my dress's 8-point behemoth of a bustle. Thanks for everything!

Sent on 06/05/2014

Sophia · Married on 10/05/2013

Desiree is welcoming and wonderful! It was a pleasure to meet her! We looked for someone to alter our daughter's dress since we were apprehensive about having it sent off a few times with the company she purchased it from. The reviews brought us to Desiree. We were amazed at the quality of work she put into the dress! She sewed an undergarment into the bodice that is hidden and comfortable. She took in the sides of the dress (which has considerable beading), shortened the dress (which has multiple layers of fabric underneath), and added a no-fuss bustle. Honest to goodness, the dress was even more beautiful after Desiree altered it, as it looked more full and elegant. We are on a budget, and her pricing was extremely fair! Desiree, if you are reading this, thank you so much! It warmed my heart to see you smile along with my daughter as she stood on that pedestal to see herself in your mirror, and I felt like you put as much love into your work as if you were doing it for your own daughters.

Sent on 07/02/2013

Desirees Custom Sewing's reply:

Hi Sophie,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to write a review. I enjoyed working with both you and your daughter.

Thanks,
    Desiree

Laura · Married on 10/04/2013

LOOK NO FURTHER LADIES! I don't have enough words to explain how wonderful Desiree is! She is truly a master of her craft! She has the kindest heart and an incredibly calming disposition. My dress was a difficult dress to tackle and Desiree didn't hesitate for a second when explaining what would need to be done and how she would complete the work. She's very knowledgeable about bustles and demonstrated different options for us to choose from. During the last fitting, I felt like Desiree was just as excited and happy as I was in the dress. If you're looking for a seamstress who gives you 110% of their attention and puts their whole heart into your beautiful dress, look no further! You found your girl.

Sent on 10/06/2013

Jennifer · Married on 06/16/2013

Loved the work, loved the price and loved her personality! She not only made alterations to my wedding dress to include a very unique bustle, but fixed my mothers dress which was much too busty but now fits perfect. I've even been back to have a ball gown altered.

Sent on 12/15/2013

Sue · Married on 04/06/2013

My daughter needed alterations on a dress she ordered on line for a wedding in which she was a bridesmaid. I found Desiree Browns website and read the reviews. We are just as pleased as everyone else who has posted a review. Ms Brown is very warm and welcoming and made a beautifully fitting dress at a reasonable price. She also made a few great additions to the inside of the dress so that undergarments wouldn't be peeking out during the ceremony. I highly recommend Ms. Brown for any alterations you may need.

Sent on 02/15/2013

Samara · Married on 02/15/2013

Ms. Desiree was warm, welcoming and genuine! She tries to limit her workload to ONLY alterations but when I begged her to make a custom train as well as alterations she agreed! She is very detailed in her work. She asked lots of questions about what my vision was just to ensure her work was perfect! She exceeded my expectations! I was a last minute customer and she not only finished the job quickly she also went out of her way to do the custom work for me!

Sent on 02/07/2013

Lisa · Married on 10/31/2012

Ms Browne is a miracle worker. After a bridal shop sold me a dress that "just needed a few nips and tucks", I went to Desiree's for my first fitting to discover that my dress just didn't fit my body. I was broken hearted thinking that I had to buy a new dress. But Ms. Browne started her magic with her imagination and expertise and turned my ill fitted mess into my dream wedding gown. During this I was also going through some serious family illness. Desiree was most compassionate and worked with me as far as schelduling my appts.
    She is, in my opinion, heaven sent! I feel blessed to have found her!

Sent on 10/21/2012

Stephanie · Married on 10/06/2012

Desiree is the best kept secret on the East Coast!!! My dress looked GOOD on me when I bought it, but once she got a hold of it she made the necessary changes and I turned around and saw the MOST BEAUTIFUL dress!!! The dress fit me like a glove, and those are the words of all my guests/bridesmaids...She is beyond an expert in her field. I actually first took my dress to a local alternations store and the lady had no idea what to do for my dress (it was heavy on lace) and it was a bit tight in the back and I had that "back roll" and the lady who's name I will withhold suggested that I "lose 5lbs"...I snatched my dress and started looking on weddingwire and came across Desiree...She was a lifesaver!!!! She made my dress fit ME not the other way around.

Sent on 12/17/2012
  • Mary

Mary · Married on 05/29/2012

She is the best...I will tell any and everyone that she is the Vera Wang of wedding dress alterations. Her work is a high grade of quality.

Sent on 06/07/2012

Tiffany · Married on 05/19/2012

Desiree altered my Military Ball Gown. She did an amazing job and was very accommodating to my timeframe. I would highly recommend her services!

Sent on 08/11/2012

Teaira · Married on 04/14/2012

My fiancé and I won a spot in the Valentine’s day mass wedding with our local morning radio show, which only gave us less than 2 weeks to get alterations done to a dress I purchased in 2009. It didn’t need much in the alterations because of the excellent advice Desiree gave me in the past. However, I still needed a bustle.

I previously contacted Desiree in 2010 when I had some concerns with how the dress that I ordered fit me (versus how it was supposed to fit & how I wanted it to fit). I even considered selling the dress because I didn’t think that alternations would be so hard or expensive with the embroidered lace overlay on my gown. Without even seeing my dress in person, Desiree asked me if I had tried on my gown with a slip or petticoat. Which I had not, so when she advised me to try on gown with a slip or crinoline and it worked, I knew she was the first person I would contact when we had the money & decided on a wedding date.

When we found out we won this spot in the Valentine’s Day mass wedding, I immediately contacted Desiree. Whit the short time frame we had to get our wedding attire together, I prayed that Desiree would have an appointment available and could do the alterations. She was able to fit me in and did all the alterations in a few days. I was able to see her after work on her later appointment day and everything worked out perfectly. Thank you for everything Desiree! Even when I came a few days before my wedding, you were able to make my dress fit like a dream and I can’t wait to wear again for our wedding reception this month.

Desiree’s experience with wedding gowns is beyond any I have seen in our local formal/bridal gown shops. She knows how to work with all the bridal materials and she fixed all of my original dress concerns. During my fitting, Desiree even pointed out that my dress was dragging on the floor when I walked around. I didn’t notice this the times that I tried my dress on before. Her prices are very reasonable and her schedule/hours are was more flexible than the other alteration/gown shops. Desiree’s website was one of the only websites that showed the different gowns bustled/unbustled and all the different bustle styles. I would definitely recommend Desiree’s Custom Sewing to all my friends and family that need alterations in the future.

Sent on 03/18/2012

Amanda · Married on 02/18/2012

Believe every positive thing you read on this and any other site about 'Ms Desiree'. Her work is impeccable! She is a professional in every sense of the word, yet personable in the way you want and need someone working with you to create your perfect gown to be. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the turn-around time, even with the most difficult of tasks (2 weeks to do what a costume designer in another city had said would be impossible!). My dress is BETTER than I had envisioned it, thanks to her input, vision, and talent!

Sent on 02/03/2012

April · Married on 10/02/2011

Mrs. Desiree completely gave my dress two different looks. I was more than happy when I saw my dress after she completed the alterations. She is the absolute best.

Sent on 12/13/2011

Jaclyn · Married on 06/01/2011

Desiree literally saved my wedding!! When my dress was late and had to be altered last minute here in Virginia due to a delay at the manufacturer, she agreed to work with me when I thought no one would! On top of that, she did an amazing job on my dress, she beautifully hemmed the complicated silk organza layers and designed a bustle that make it look perfect even when bustled. I am so lucky and happy to have found Desiree and I would recommend her to anyone here in Virginia who needs wedding dress alterations!! Thanks again!

Sent on 07/08/2011

Kimberly · Married on 05/14/2011

My daughter and I called Desiree desperate for help in altering a prom gown that we had ordered online. My daughter was extremely nervous and Desiree immediately put us both at ease. Not only is she very professional, but more importantly, she is extremely kind and personable. In a world that has become business oriented, Desiree is a throwback. For the hour or so that you are IN HER HOME you are her sole focus and she is there to make sure that you feel special. We couldn't have asked for a more comfortable experience and we couldn't have been happier with the results. Desiree went above and beyond by adding little details to make sure that my daughter was comfortable. Desiree's heart and talents took my little athlete and made her the bell of the ball. Her gown fit perfectly and the confidence that gave her showed all over her face; she couldn't quit smiling. I would definitely recommend Desiree to anyone and everyone and if next year's gown come in too big in certain places, I will definitely be calling Desiree as soon as possible.

Sent on 05/16/2011

Sara · Married on 10/10/2010

There are not enough wonderful things to say about Desiree! She was so helpful from the very beginning when I was first just talking to her about purchasing a used bridal dress to have altered to when I came to her to have her design & sketch a custom gown for me to have had made elsewhere to when I finally found my gown at a bridal salon and came to her to have my alterations done. First off, her home is CLEAN!!! No smoking, no pets, etc. Second, she KNOWS her stuff. Lets just say I wanted to make mountains out of molehills when it came to my cleavage and she made me look phenomenal :) I also wanted her to take extra material and hand sew two extra pleats to the bottom of my bodice. She talked me out of this (which wasn't easy to do!) because she knew it would mess up the proportions of the dress & wouldn't look right in the end. She added an under bustle to my dress since I never found an outer bustle that I liked. And she also flipped the comb on my mom's veil as well as removed the barrette clasp on my hair flower to add a comb instead. Last, but certainly not least, the customer service & attention you get from Desiree cannot be beat!! She schedules you by appointment only so you are the only bride there during your appointment. It was awesome never being interrupted or feeling like I had to compete for attention. I am so glad I found Desiree!! Her prices are very fair & her work is flawless.

Sent on 10/14/2010
  • W

Becky · Married on 10/08/2010

100% worth the drive from Richmond.

Desiree took a very intricate J. Crew wedding gown that was a little too big and too long for me and made it fit PERFECTLY. All the while, setting me (who was quite nervous at first) at ease. At first I was a little uncertain, being that her shop is in her home (my first time with a real seamstress!) But her home soon became part of what I liked about the whole experience of working with her; very clean, comfortable, and her grandkids are adorable!

So my dress was a J. Crew sample sale item valued at just under 3,000 bucks I bought on ebay (a gamble that paid off) for $800. It was a vintage, flapper style, heavy, sweeping, antique white gown, with layers of silk slub tiers, that might have made me look like a wet sheepdog with some unwise moves on the part of a seamstress.

Desiree saw right away what this dress needed. From the moment she first pinned it up, I knew she was the one. She managed to make the dress even fuller and more sweeping in the manner by which she layered and over layered the tiers. She did not remove a bit of fabric, but left it so I could have it let back out to resell if I wanted to (which I will Not).

She gave me tons of good advise about care for the dress, and really instilled confidence in me in helping to make decisions about fit and accessorizing. She knows her stuff. I would trust her with anything. I cannot recommend her highly enough. Her price was very fair. My mom and I were blown away.

Thanks Desiree!!