73 Reviews for Desirees Custom Sewing

Bridal Gowns (7)
Alterations (1)
Appts. Only (1)
72 Desirees Custom Sewing Reviews

I hired Ms. Desiree to alter my dress which was complete lace with a scallop bottom. My dress had to be completely cut apart and put back together. Meeting with her, I instantly felt so comfortable and knew that I could trust her to do a beautiful job. She exceeded my expectations! Not only was she an absolutely sweetheart, but you could tell that she has such a talent for this. She even made the bustle look gorgeous and taught my bridesmaid how to do it up for me. I would recommend her to anyone!

Profile Picture Kelly, 6/1/18, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Alterations, Appts. Only, Bride, Bridal Gowns

Saw only good reviews about Desiree so I reached out to her about altering my wedding dress. She was very kind, and accepts nothing but the best in her work. I received my dress about a month later and it was perfect! It looked amazing and she made sure to take care of me. If it wasn't perfect, she was willing to fix it. Definitely recommend her if you want your dress done right.

Profile Picture Grace, 5/20/18, 2 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Desiree was amazing! I initially sent her a few photographs of my dress and she quickly responded to my request with an estimate of what a hem, cups, some small repairs to the dress would be, and options for an appointment. She was extremely kind, thoughtful and honest about what could and couldn't be altered on my dress. She took 2+ inches off of my dress without changing the look of the scalloped lace at all. She made sure everything was just right so I didn't have to wear 6 inch heels and it was perfect for a reasonable cost (even less than her original estimate). I highly recommend her!

Profile Picture Megan , 5/5/18, 1 Review
Services Used: Bride, Bridal Gowns

Desiree was a joy to work with--did a professional quality job out of the welcoming atmosphere of her home. My mother and I did separate research looking for alterations and both came up with her as our first choice. She definitely did not disappoint. Dress looks perfect and customized to what I wanted at a good price.

Profile Picture Kayla, 4/22/18, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Bride, Bridal Gowns

Had a wonderful experience with my bridal alteration. It was nice not having to fight brides for dressing rooms. I felt attended to by Desiree as I was the only bride that was there. She does her alterations by appointment only and I was allowed to bring my mom and sister with me for a very personal experience. She does her alterations out of her home and it is clean and inviting. You can tell she is a busy lady with all of the bridal gowns she had hanging up. She was super fast on getting my alteration correct and her pricing was far better than you could get at a bridal dress store. I was very pleased with her work!

Profile Picture Dwan, 10/21/17, 1 Review
Services Used: Bride

I just picked up my wedding dress from Desiree. It fits like a glove! My dress was to long and the bust needed to be taken in. The store I bought my dress from didn't offer alterations and I was so worried I wouldn't find a good seamstress but Desiree is AMAZING! She worked wonders! I didn't want to take it off after the alterations were done! I can't wait until my wedding day! Thank you so much Desiree!

Profile Picture Laura, 9/9/17, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Bride

Desiree is amazing! Her prices are fair, the quality of her work is outstanding, and I loved that she practices from her home - you don't have to worry about any distractions and it is much more private and personal. I highly recommend her to brides-to-be that are looking for a high quality alteration experience that is more personal and much less stressful!

Profile Picture britney, 5/20/17, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Desiree was extremely helpful and made me feel very comfortable. She responded quickly and I got an appointment right away. I went to a fitting consultation and my dress didn't need to be altered, but I really appreciated that the time she took to answer all of my questions. I appreciated the second opinion she provided.

Profile Picture Amber, 11/5/16, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Bride, Bridal Gowns

Desiree was so great! I dropped off my dress and when I went back to pick it up, it fit perfectly that I did not need another fitting! I felt not only beautiful but comfortable in my dress, exactly what I wanted. I liked my dress but when it came down to wearing it the day of the wedding, I LOVED it. It was made perfectly for me, with the help of Desiree!

Profile Picture Shannon, 10/29/16, 7 Reviews
Services Used: Bride

I bought my dress out of state and had a hard time finding alteration recommendations from friends in the area. So I literally Googled bridal gown alterations and found Desiree's Custom Sewing. She had the highest ratings online over any other area seamstress, so I was beginning to think maybe she wasn't real. However, I still took a giant leap of faith and called to make an appointment. She was very nice and personable on the phone, asking a variety of questions. She then asked for me to email a photo of the dress, and she replied with her estimates. I bought my dress on consignment, so I needed the hem to be taken up a few inches, and the bust to be taken in. During the first fitting, she was very professional and made me feel comfortable. When I went to pick up my dress 4 weeks later, it fit like a glove and the final cost was a lot lower than the estimate (yay!) I am so glad I took a chance on choosing Desiree. I would highly recommend to any bride in the Hampton Roads area.

Profile Picture Suzanne, 10/15/16, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Bride, Bridal Gowns

You will not go wrong having Desiree work on your gown. I have an extremely hour glass frame and bought a dress WAY too big. After my second fitting (my dress needed lots of lovin') I wasn't able to sleep because of how I thought my dress looked. This had nothing to do with her work. Sometimes the manufactures inhibit how dresses can be altered. She understood my 1 AM email and responded quickly. I was concerned that going to someones home would be uncomfortable or that their home's smell would meld into my dress but not this instance. Her home is clean and inviting. I don't know about how her prices compare but every penny was worth getting the fit I wanted. Desiree is a diamond in the rough and my dress perfect for this perfect day.

Profile Picture User6546287, 1+ year ago, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Bridal Gowns, Bride

I got so lucky - my little sister got married before me and I knew the work that went in to altering her dress and how amazing her wedding dress looked during the big day. So when it came time to get my dress altered, I called my little sister for the referral. She sent me to Desiree and I never looked back. To say I was nervous about having anything taken to my dress is an understatement but Desiree calmed my nerves. She was very professional and flexible (when I had to cancel an appointment due to work). Every time I arrived for my appointment she had my dress pulled aside and ready for me to try on. What was to be my final fitting turned into two extra weeks to let the dress out a little more (thank you stress eating). When making the decision, which I was a nervous mess about, Desiree kept me calm. She completed the work in no time and it fit perfect. Her attention to detail and level of expertise is unmatched!!

Profile Picture Nicole, 9/17/16, 8 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Desiree used to make bridal gowns and now works out of her home for alterations. She was recommended to me by a family member and I am so happy that I found her. She was attentive to detail and helped in every way to make my gown fit me like my dream wedding dress. I would absolutely recommend her to a friend and will continue to use her for my alterations in the future.

Profile Picture Danielle, 9/3/16, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Bride

Desiree Brown is a life savor! So my wedding dress fits great and I fortunately did not need any alterations for the fit but I did need a bustle added to my dress because it has a very long train. My first thought was to just take it to David's Bridal because that is where I purchased the dress but I am a bride on a budget and I called to get an estimate for pricing and was shocked at the pricing they gave me. I immediately became discouraged as there was no way I could afford to have the bustle done by Davids Bridal. Also to add to that I read the reviews for my local Davids Bridal and they were horrible one after another after another of just plain horror stories of the service, quality and pricing. So I began to research top rated seamstress in Hampton Roads and found Desiree....all of her reviews were amazing! I now know why all of her reviews are amazing....from the very beginning to the very end she was professional and helpful and best of all affordable while also providing top quality work. I couldn't be more happy with the bustle she added to my wedding dress its just perfect!

Profile Picture User6368129, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Services Used: Bride

Desiree was wonderful! I had just a couple of alterations needed for my dress and was hoping to find someone who wouldn't break our budget. She was very helpful, returned my calls promptly, gave me a very reasonable price, did great work on my dress, and was just a pleasure to be around and talk to! I would highly recommend her.

Profile Picture Theano & Gerald, 4/9/16, 8 Reviews
Services Used: Bride

I wish I could add a before/after picture of my dress, to show how amazing Desiree is. I bought a sample dress about a year before my wedding, and then proceeded to gain about 20 pounds. After months of unsuccessfully trying to lose the weight, I finally had to schedule my dress fitting. My fitting was at Desiree's house, in Hampton, and it was a really comfortable experience. She saw the problems with my dress and assured me that I wouldn't have to buy a new dress at last minute, then proceeded to snip and pin away. She was so knowledgable about wedding dress design. In a short time, she had everything she needed and asked for 2 weeks to complete the alterations. Two weeks later, I was amazed. Instead of letting out the dress to accommodate the extra weight, she redesigned the back and the result was both beautiful and unique. On my wedding day, I received so many compliments on my dress and I really have Desiree to thank for that. I wouldn't hesitate a moment in recommending her to anyone else, especially someone who has fit problems. Thank you, Desiree!

Profile Picture Cassie, 4/2/16, 7 Reviews
Services Used: Bride, Bridal Gowns

Thank you Desiree for your beautiful work on my daughter's gown and bustle! My daughter had the gapping bodice problem that often comes when a bust size is larger than a B cup. Desiree was able to alter the top so it lay smooth across her chest without gapping. The French bustle was perfect for the style of the train! My daughter was so relieved to have her dress looking perfect for her big day! Thank you for making this such an enjoyable and stress free situation!

Profile Picture mellissa, 10/24/15, 1 Review
Services Used: Bride

Desiree is simply awesome at what she does! She bustled my dress and also took it in 2 inches and her work was flawless. She was very efficient in getting my dress done within a week and flexible with her schedule when I needed to pick my dress up early. I was very pleased with the service and I would definitely recommend her to any one of my friends.

Profile Picture User5504707, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Desiree provided a wonderful experience for my wedding dress alteration needs! She was extremely responsive, flexible, and very professional. I highly recommend her services! I can't wait to wear my dress on 9/26/15!

Profile Picture Lauren, 9/26/15, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

I went to Desiree with a sample gown that I had gotten a great deal on but definitely needed to be taken in. Not only that, there were a lot of layers of organza and lace so I knew it wasn't going to be easy or even possible. I was in minor crisis about it by the time I met with her because I was so worried I had made the wrong decision buying that dress. I set up a consultation with her and she quickly put my mind at ease. She thoroughly examined my dress to see ways it could be altered and even saved me money by recommending higher shoes so I wouldn't need a major overhaul to shorten the dress. In the end, she made my dress look like a million dollars without breaking the bank. She truly cares about her brides and the quality of her work. She'll never take on too many clients at one time so I highly suggest making an appointment with her ASAP. She's the best in Hampton Roads!

Profile Picture User4838809, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I was recommended to Mrs. Brown by a close friend. She had raved about how great she was, so I set up an appointment. I was planning my wedding fairly quickly, so initially I was worried about the time and work needed on my dress, however when I met her, she put all worries aside. Mrs. Brown provides an extremely comforting environment in her home. She is very talented and can tell you everything there is to know about dress alterations. She made sure that everything fit great and gives thorough suggestions. She knows what can and can't be done so you have to trust her! My dress came out absolutely stunning. I can't say how thankful I am for her work.

Profile Picture User4581891, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

The best experience ever!!! Take your dress to Desiree and just relax. I'm glad I did!

Profile Picture Karen, 10/25/14, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Desiree did a fantastic job on my wedding dress! As every bride knows, things get very stressful towards the actual wedding day and I forgot about getting my dress altered until about 4 weeks before. I was in a panic wondering if I'd still be able to find someone to do it for me, then I found Desiree's Custom Sewing. I contacted her and a few hours later got a response saying she was already at her limit, but since I only needed a few small alterations she would be willing to squeeze me in last minute. I was worried about how any alterations on my dress would look since it is a very delicate lacy material, but when I got my dress back it was beautiful and fit like it was made special for me. I would definitely recommend her. She was very friendly, professional, and does beautiful work for a very reasonable price and a short amount of time.

Profile Picture Molly, 10/18/14, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Desiree was amazing to work with. My dress had so many different hidden layers to the skirt of it and she really to her time and made the dress fit me like a glove and not drag. She also took very careful when it came to altering the halter top that had tons of beading work on it. She added a broch to the side of my dress and did a beautiful bustle! Highly recommend her!

Profile Picture Melissa, 8/22/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I had my wedding dress taken in and bustled by Desiree. I moved to Virginia 3 months before the wedding and needed to find someone quick! She was more than happy to do my alterations and was so accommodating with my schedule. There wasn't one thing I wasn't happy with. Would definitely recommend her to any bride and would definitely use her services again. Also, her prices are very reasonable and she is the sweetest person!

Profile Picture Barbara, 8/16/14, 1 Review