Davis Islands Garden Club Reviews

Davis Islands Garden Club 6
Davis Islands Garden Club 7

Brandi · Married on 05/12/2017

3.0

We looked at several venues before we looked at DIG Club and decided this was the perfect place for our wedding. We wanted a place that felt like it spoke to who we are as a couple, wasn't too formal but still very pretty, and would help enhance our theme and colors instead of dictate those.

Day of the wedding, I was able to get inside to drop off everything for my coordinator and I thought I was supposed to get the keys at 10AM but no one ever showed up. I didn't worry too much since I was able to drop everything off anyways. We chose to rent the garden chairs, which was a much better price than if we had gone to an outside vendor to rent chairs, and the cushions for the patio. I completely recommend renting the cushions if you plan to do your dance floor on the patio.

We chose to do our ceremony under the first tree branch when you walk through to the back and it was perfect! I didn't want to do what everyone else did and use the gazebo. Initially, I wanted to do the reception inside but my husband really wanted to do it outdoors and it was the best decision! We had our tables set up on the left side of the lawn and using the beauty of the outdoor space meant we only needed to decorate our tables and added cafe lighting above the lawn. We got so many compliments on how beautiful our wedding was, everything was perfect!

Sent on 06/08/2017

3.5

This is the perfect venue for DIY brides! Gorgeous garden and waterfront venue that is a blank canvas for you to build your dream wedding. Close to downtown hotels and the airport. We even had a grand exit on a boat!!! Beautiful venue!

Sent on 08/26/2015

Rosalinda · Married on 08/13/2010

3.0

The Davis Islands Garden Club is a beautiful venue to have a wedding. The scenery is breathtaking in photographs. The Garden Club grounds are well maintained. Michelle James, the Davis Islands Garden Club event coordinator, is a pleasure to work with, very friendly and a very sweet person. She was quick to respond to emails or phone calls and was available to meet whenever I needed her to.

The Garden Club does have strict rules which must be adhered to perfectly or portions of your deposit will not be refunded. A bit of criticism is that the white garden chairs are an additional cost, and the person renting the facility is responsible for set up, tear down, and proper stacking and placement in the closet.

The venue was the perfect wedding location for an outside ceremony and in-door reception. See our pictures here: http://12-1photography.smugmug.com/Wedding-Photography/davis-island-garden-club/13386435_CUdbH#974309446_GiMEN

Sent on 08/28/2010

Brittany · Married on 09/20/2014

3.0

Our September wedding at the Garden Club was beautiful! Took advantage of the gazebo, the outdoor patio and inside room. Loved how the venue looked in photos with the flowers and water in the background. Needs a lot of decorations to spice up but with the right décor it becomes a very enchanting venue. The price of the venue doesn't include ceremony chairs or the extra décor you see up when touring the venue so keep that in mind when budgeting.

The only flaws I had with our venue was I felt the communication was difficult. Every so often an email wouldn't be responded to, we were told our venue payment and wedding insurance wasn't given to them, but we had the confirmation emails saying they were already paid from them. Gave me a few stresses. Also, there are a few rules that held back the wedding creativity for me. I had a Rapunzel/Tangled wedding and we couldn't do the floating lanterns (fire code I understand) but made me sad that we could of done it with other venues.

Overall I will still be recommending this venue to any friend who wants a smaller, lower budgeted wedding!

Sent on 10/07/2014

2.5

As soon as we saw the Davis Islands Garden Club, we knew we wanted to get married here! It's a beautiful waterfront venue for those who don't want to deal with a sandy, windy beach. We had everything at the same location - ceremony, cocktail hour, reception - and our guests loved that. We received many compliments on the venue from our guests. We were fortunate to have great weather, but the venue does come with a back up plan in case you get some Florida rain. (You can move the ceremony under the covered terrace!) The only draw back was that the coordinator was hard to reach at times. This can be worrisome for a bride during the planning process, but she did respond eventually. All in all, everything was beautiful on our wedding day and the Davis Island Garden Club was the perfect venue for us.

Sent on 11/06/2013

Amanda · Married on 04/19/2013

3.5

The Davis Island Garden Club provided a beautiful venue for my wedding ceremony and reception. All my wedding guests commented on how beautiful the views were of the water. Michelle was very nice to work with and was readily available to get in contact with when I had questions. The venue allowed you to bring in your own catering and alcohol which was nice. However, I feel the venue was a bit pricey for what you get. In addition if you want the white garden chairs for the ceremony there is an additional fee. All in all, I did have a wonderful time and my guests enjoyed the venue.

Sent on 04/23/2013
  • Laura

Laura · Married on 12/12/2009

3.0

We loved DIGC the moment we saw it! You get a mix of nice garden scenery and city lights that night. Although it is quite pricey for what you get, we are still happy with our choice! I wish more of the clean-up was included. Michelle was great and always willing to help when asked. The inside of the garden club is bland, but you can easily dress it up with lighting and a dance floor. We used events by Amore to help with those things along with our catering!

Sent on 12/30/2009

Jayme · Married on 10/09/2009

4.2

Davis Island Garden Club had everything that I wanted for our wedding. The gorgeous setting outside with the gazebo, the channel and the downtown Tampa skyline provided us with AMAZING pictures! I absolutely loved the covered porch with the wrap around bench! I was great having everything in one place. We received so many compliments on the venue. You can definitely create the wedding of your dreams at the Garden Club. Just make sure you clean up EVERYTHING to get your full deposit back :)

Sent on 11/17/2009

Katie · Married on 10/16/2011

2.0

We had our wedding on October 16th at the Davis Islands Garden Club and it was absolutely beautiful! We loved that we had free reign to do whatever we wanted, we didn't have to decorate much because it is already so beautiful! The one downfall was that we did everything outside and we didn't find out until a couple months before the wedding that all noise has to be done outside at 10pm! :( That was a real bummer, but otherwise everything there was great and it was the most affordable and beautiful place that we looked at it! I'm so happy we used them!

Sent on 11/18/2011

Camila · Married on 04/28/2018

3.5

My husband and I spent hours trying to find a beautiful venue that gave us freedom to use any vendor we wanted and help see our vision come true but also not cost us everything. This venue did exactly that! It's beautiful in every way and our guests couldn't have complimented it any more. Amber is really great too. Forever thankful we found this place.

Sent on 05/02/2018

Stephany · Married on 06/12/2015

Wedding of my dreams

We got married on April 20th, 2019 at the Davis Island Garden Club and it is a day we will never forget. The venue is everything we dreamed of. On the water, lush foliage, room for creative design and the availability to spend our wedding celebration outdoors! Many of our friends told us it was the most beautiful wedding they have ever been to. We had games on the lawn, a photobooth, swings, tables by the water and a dance floor under the stars! Would recommend this venue to anyone who is creative and crafty, because you can turn this venue into your wedding dream :)

Sent on 04/24/2019
    Davis Islands Garden Club 14
    Davis Islands Garden Club 15
    Davis Islands Garden Club 16
    Davis Islands Garden Club 17

The venue was beautiful for my ceremony and reception. On my wedding day it was raining so we ended up holding our ceremony under the terrace then in the garden. The ceremony turned out beautiful. You have an option to rent cushions, pillows, white curtains, and chandeliers to make the terrace romantic. It is an expensive added cost but worth it. Everyone thought the venue was romantic and beautiful... The venue is an open canvas so you get to use your creative side and decorate it anyway you want.

The cost of the venue is a lot since not much is included. you only get the venue, tables, use of their kitchen, and chairs (you need to rent covers for, or white chairs you can use but also have to pay extra for). Also I received a flyer in the mail a month before the wedding asking if I wanted to rent chandeliers for the outside terrace. Thankfully I did because it looked beautiful and also there is not much light outside otherwise.

Sent on 07/07/2012

Sarah · Married on 05/05/2017

3.8
      2.0

This venue is absolutely stunning and could not be more picturesque for a wedding. It is a perfect blend of garden/nature, waterfront and city. The best part of this venue is you are not required to use any certain vendors so you can choose who you want and also do some DIY stuff if you want. Amber was always helpful via email and for scheduling vendor walk-throughs. My one and only complaint is about the security guard who is present during the wedding. This guy was extremely unprofessional. Instead of keeping to the background, he kept approaching my groom and talking and also talking to a lot of our guests. The worst part was when he pulled out his 'sound meter' and told the band they were being too loud and he was going to shut off the power. I was aware of the 10PM outside noise curfew but no one ever mentioned a sound level restriction. The band was nowhere near being too loud and it was appalling that he would keep threatening to shut down our wedding. I hope that DIGC will address these issues with their current security guard and take care of it for future weddings. Seriously though, other than the security guard, everything else about this place is incredible.

Sent on 05/16/2017

Davis Islands Garden Club's reply:

Hi Sarah, Thank you so much for your review we appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about the venue. We are glad that you enjoyed the space and would like to apologize for any miscommunication. We do have to have someone on site to measure the sound to be sure that we comply with the county noise ordinance. Typically bands do read a bit higher on the decibel reader and we work with them to stay within a comfortable parameter so that a noise disturbance isn't reported to TPD; if we were not there to read the sound and someone complained (we are in a residential area) and called TPD they would come out and fine the event plus possibly shut the sound off. I believe this is the information that security was trying to relay, we sincerely apologize for the miscommunication/poor delivery of information. Our contracted security/staff is there to make sure you have no issues building or property related, and we take pride in that. We also absolutely do not condone contracted staff/security fraternizing with guests; we have addressed that issue internally. Again, thank you for taking time to provide valueable feedback on how we can improve!
    Best,
    Amber Beaty

Meghann · Married on 03/03/2012

3.6
      3.0

The Davis Islands Garden Club was the perfect location for our Vintage at Home themed wedding. The 1920's building brought a quaint charm that provided a beautiful backdrop to our big day. Michelle was very professional in her contracting and paperwork, however, there were many rules and regulations for the venue that affected our reception timeline and decor. The venue was perfectly beautiful and yet the cost of the venue was expensive for what was included in the contract. There are extra fees for decorations and liability insurance and if there's so much as a napkin left over you risk loosing your deposit. As long you know what you're getting into it is a wonderful wedding venue.

Sent on 03/20/2012

Kathleen · Married on 06/16/2012

3.6
      3.0

Davis Island Garden Club is a BEAUTIFUL venue. The day of the wedding was picture perfect weather, but do have contingent plans for inclement weather. It was hard to coordinate a time to get inside the building to plan decor, etc. Be aware that nothing is provided except tables and chairs (which you will definitely want to upgrade for a wedding). The grounds are beautiful and the patio is perfect for cocktails.

Sent on 06/18/2012

Amanda · Married on 11/26/2011

3.5

My husband and I got married here in November 2011. The venue was amazing and everything we were looking for. The outdoor area was fantastic and it was great to have the indoor area for dinner and as a "just-in-case" area for if it rained. I do think it is ridiculously expensive to rent there and it was annoying that basically nothing was included with the rental price. I loved that inside was like a blank canvas so you can decorate it however you like. I highly recommend uplights inside otherwise it'll look too bland with the plain walls. We had our ceremony at the pavillion outside which was gorgeous. Our DJ and dance floor (and where we spent the entire evening) was the covered patio. It was a fantatstic, cool night and we could really enjoy the weather and the view of the river.

Sent on 05/21/2012

Adrienne · Married on 06/20/2010

2.5

The Davis Islands Garden club is a beautiful venue that you can certainly make your own. We had our ceremony outside on the canal...it was perfect. The patio is fantastic for a cocktail hour. It was large enough to hold our guests, a photo booth and live entertainment. We couldn't have hoped for a more beautiful setting. Be prepared to purchase all decor and furnishings separately including the ceremony charis, curtains and cushions for the patio benches.

Sent on 06/24/2010

Michael · Married on 11/01/2008

2.0

The venue was beautiful. We had some initial issues with our booking date/contract. We didn't get the original date we had chosen for the wedding, through no fault of our own. Michelle James, the coordinator at the venue, misplaced our original contract, and re-booked the date for someone else. We had a few clerical errors with checks making their way through to them (some were the mailman's fault, some we suspect were just disorganization). Otherwise from these few issues, we loved the venue, and would definitely book there again for an anniversary party or other event, albeit with a little more preparation next time.

Sent on 11/14/2008

Carla · Married on 05/29/2016

3.0

Beautiful venue, but very difficult to contact the venue coordinator.

Sent on 06/19/2016
  • Mandi & Greg

Mandi & Greg · Married on 11/12/2011

0.0
      2.0

The location is beautiful. All our guests were amazed and I think it looks more expensive than it really is. Only problem is Michelle is impossible to get a hold of. Every one of my vendors could not reach her day of and had trouble accessing the site. Don't get married there unless you have a wedding coordinator, because I did not. Michelle and the Garden Club put the wrong (ugly) chairs at all our tables and it ruined the look of our wedding. A coordinator would have hopefully prevented that. But the site is beautiful.

Sent on 11/20/2011

Breanne · Married on 04/02/2017

0.5

The venue itself is beautiful, its a centralized location, it is an empty canvas for you to mold as you wish. Not to mention the view on the water is stunning, especially as the sun sets & seeing the view of downtown.

However, Amber the person who runs the DIGC, in our experience was difficult to get a hold of, as well as meet up with, she was also unorganized & wouldn't get things to us in a timely manner. We had given her a deposit check, signed a contract, & then had to wait almost 3 weeks for our copy of the contract. She had excuse after excuse why it wasn't ready. During the wedding planning process to not have a contract, to feel you could lose your wedding day, or have given money to a vendor with no proof, isn't a good feeling. The day of the wedding she forgot to unlock the shed with all the garden chairs inside, thank god my fiance stopped by the venue, noticed, & was able to stop her before she drove away. Also it took almost 4 weeks to get our deposit back, & we never received an email prior to the check stating if we were even getting the deposit back & if there was any issues. We tried to set up several appointments to meet up with her for various things & she was also confused on the date or moved it. We know several people who have had similar problems & complaints about Amber. Also she up charges things that use to come free with the last caretaker (I spoke with her before she left DIGC) curtains, cushions, etc. So while it is a great venue, be aware that you may have similar problems with Amber that we all have.

5/24/17 I have updated my review by lowering the professionalism, due to the fact that within an hour of posting this review Amber immediately called me & then proceeded to texted me. (keep in mind at this point our business had concluded) She argued about my review & then asked me to call her to talk about it. After I told her no politely, she tried to have my review removed. That is about as unprofessional as it gets.

Sent on 05/05/2017

Davis Islands Garden Club's reply:

Thank you for taking time to write such a detailed review. We welcome and appreciate all feedback and we would like to take a moment to address your concerns after thoroughly researching the files.
    Our representative is an independent contractor that makes/sets her own hours and they do very depending on event schedules. The email correspondence between the client and our rep was always answered within a 1 to 2 hour time
    ​ frame-around the clock.
    Per the contract signed at the time of booking the deposit takes 30 days/four weeks to refund-which is standard. All of our client contracts are filed off site so additional requests of a contract may take up to two weeks to provide. This client was provided a hard copy at execution and then a scanned copy 10 days later. Furthermore, The garden club is not responsible for any draping or extra add-on rental items as these prices are set and enforced by the independent contractor or vendors hired which is outlined in the contract (paragraph 10.).
    We apologize for any miscommunication and asked our rep to reach out to the client to resolve any underlying issues as this is our first time hearing of them, at that time this client told our representative not to contact her anymore as our business has concluded. Again we would like to apologize that our client was not 100% satisfied with their experience. If there is anything in the future we can do to create a more satisfying experience please do not hesitate to let us know.
    Thank you!

Michelle · Married on 03/22/2013

3.0

The location and view of the venue were awesome. It was a bit pricey and it was difficult to work with Michelle the wedding coordinator. She often did not respond to emails and if she did it was a week or two later. It is a bit of a hassel because you have to do everything yourself but the location makes it worth the effort.

Sent on 04/01/2013

2.8
      1.0
      3.0

Beautiful venue overlooking the water. Very quaint and homey which is why I liked it. There is a beautiful gazebo in the back and a huge patio perfect for cocktail hours or even dancing.

Sent on 02/10/2014

2.8
      2.0

Davis Island Garden Club is a gorgeous venue...the weather was perfect and the grounds looked lush, for the most part. Our only hang-ups were the communication with the building manager and a few details of the physical property. It took several times for us to reach out to the manager before we would get a response back from her. She was incredibly friendly, but never seemed to receive emails or follow up on phone calls in a timely manner. At one point, I was asked for my security deposit when the check had already been cashed. That was pretty discomforting. As far as the physical property, we paid $2.14/chair to rent and were responsible for unloading and restacking them. They were absolutely filthy with dirt and bird poop on the day of the wedding. We complained to the manager about this issue after our wedding, but we still have not received a response to our complaint in over a month. The air vents were dirty and disgusting and the bathrooms were incredibly outdated and insufficient. For the price to rent the property, the quality should be above and beyond. Again, the property has a ton to offer and is beautiful, but when paying top dollar, you should expect the service and property to match.

Sent on 12/02/2013

Davis Islands Garden Club's reply:

My cel phone is available to everyone now. As the only employee it challenging at times with 100+ brides We have also gutted and renovated the bathrooms this past summer & they are GORGEOUS!!
  • MICHAEL

MICHAEL · Married on 07/04/2009

2.4
      1.5
      1.5

The venue was beautiful and our event went smoothly, however I was on my own as soon as I arrived to set up. Our wedding was on the fourth of July so it may not reflect the typical experience. The garbage dumpster was overflowing and visible from the street (nice touch for my wedding) the person who let me in kept saying "this is not my job" and "someone else is supposed to do this" very unprofessional. My contact person was at the other coast and semi-available via phone to answer questions or solve my issues with the venue. All in all the staff was much more interested in renting their additional accessories to us than actually providing the service that I paid for. Again the grounds are beautiful and the facility is fine just don't expect it to be run like a business...

Sent on 09/08/2009