Darla Photography Reviews

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

1 User photo

Darla Photography 1

Melissa · Married on 06/19/2010

I found Darla Photography early in my wedding planning and met with her. She was charming, not pushy, friendly, funny and knowledgeable. Coincidentally, she had just done a wedding at the church I was getting married in, and was kind enough to pull up the photos. Even more coincidentally, the bride in the photos happened to be a colleague of mine who had gotten married a few months earlier! I had a good feeling about Darla as it was, and the glowing review my colleague gave me the next day at work sealed the deal. In the meantime, I had only met with one other photography vendor and they in no way compared to the warm & fuzzies (yes, I know this sounds cheesy but when it comes to wedding planning, I think warm & fuzzies are important) that I got from Darla.

On the day of the wedding, she arrived RIGHT on time -- on the nose. She helped keep the guys on schedule and out to the church on time. She assisted with my bustle issues. She helped me receive and manage the floral arrangement delivery, which arrived two seconds after she started doing some awesome boudoir shots, when I was, um, not quite dressed to answer the door. :) She thoughtfully arranged with the reception venue/hotel to park in a spot right behind where the limo was to pull up so that she would be right behind us the whole time. There was just many little details that she did that made things flow smoothly. She didn't miss a beat. She has a positive energy and is really fun and easy to get along with. She showed me a few of the pictures as she was taking them, and they looked amazing. I can't wait to see the prints and get all the photos once they are ready! (Darla - I have a few fun photos of YOU with the belly dancer that I need to email you!) On an administrative note, she is organzied and follows up when she says she's going to. She helped keep me on track with payment schedules and even helped me figure out my timeline, too. You simply can't go wrong with Darla there to photograph your big day. The day was better and more perfect because she was there.

Sent on 08/24/2010

Bill · Married on 06/05/2010

Darla is simply the best. She is kind, polite, professional, absolutely fantastic at her job and best of all, she is within budget. I have had nothing but great experiences with Darla and her staff. She treats you like a friend instead of a customer and I value her opinions and guidance. Do yourself a favor and use Darla and have a carefree wedding day, knowing your pictures will turn out to be amazing.

Sent on 07/12/2011

Melyssa · Married on 05/22/2010

Darla was amazing, I read reviews about her online and then set up a meeting with her and right away I felt confident in her services. She is very professional yet fun, organized, reliable, and personable. I was very happy with my photo's from the wedding, just sad that it rained :( But all in all I have great photo's for a great price. Darla was right on time for my wedding and was always available if I needed to talk to her. I would highly recommend her for any of my friends/family.

Sent on 12/15/2010

Jennifer · Married on 05/01/2010

Darla was very professional. She arrived early and took very special pictures on our day. As soon as the pictures came back she invited me over to view. She knew everyone at Celebrations and the property which made it easier. SHe captured some very beautiful moments. We cannot thank her enough for being a part of our special day. Thanks so much!! Jen & Keith McGee

Sent on 09/10/2010

Leslie · Married on 04/17/2010

Darla photography from the moment I first talked with her I could tell she would be easy to work with. She didn't pressure my fiance and I into buying more then we budgeted for. She has excellent credentials and the pictures to back it up. Her team and her provide top notch quality photos that capture parts of your day in so many different lights. She helped keep the guests in line at the ceremony and organizing the family shots with ease. At the reception she blended into the background and was always moving around. She even stayed longer then what we contracted her for to get additional shots. On top of that we got a great deal when paying in full. Looking forward to seeing the photos. She showed me a few while she was taking them and they looked beautiful.

Sent on 05/05/2010

Stacia · Married on 08/09/2009

Darla was great! When I first spoke with her on the phone she was very straight forward with me and I liked that. She has been doing photography for a long time and she said listen to her and she will get great pictures. She gave us a great deal for paying in full and it was nice because it was one less thing to worry about. On the day of the wedding she came an hour prior and she took a lot of the pictures before so it didn�t mean taking so many pictures after the ceremony. At the reception party she blended right into the party, she danced with our guest, chatted with them making everyone comfortable while she was taking pictures. She was great and my husband and I were very happy with her service. We haven�t seen the pictures but I have no doubt they will come out very nice.

Sent on 08/23/2009

Kimberly · Married on 07/04/2009

Darla Photography was one of the best vendors I have EVER had the privilege to work with. First, her resume and skills are impeccable (Vogue & Glamour how can you top that?) Second, Darla's prices and packages set her aside from the other photographers we interviewed. In fact, the package we selected was by far the best package offered amongst all of the photographers we interviewed. Prior to booking Darla, my husband and I spent a lot of time and energy interviewing local photographers. We considered photography to be a top priority in our wedding planning because after our wedding we will only have our pictures and memories to remind us of our special day. We have absolutely no regrets in our decision to use Darla Photography.

On the morning of my wedding day, she arrived at my bridal suite (early) and took amazing photographs of me and bridesmaids getting dressed. She captured photos of my "ladies in waiting" helping me into my wedding dress and fastening the rhinestone buckle on my shoes. She took detail shots of my Presidential Suite while at the same time ushering us out of the door to make it to Oxon Hill Manor on time for my wedding. (Thanks Darla) She is amazing and her attention to detail will allow you to relive your wedding day in the images she captures.

Hiring Darla Photography was a "no brainer" and one of the easiest and best decisions we made for our wedding. She is amazing and trust me you will be pleased.

Sent on 09/17/2009

Lindsay · Married on 06/20/2009

I was very pleased with Darla's work as our wedding photographer. She was very honest in telling us what would work and what wouldn't, and I really felt like I could rely on all of her experience to produce a great product. Additionally, she was very thorough and was such a help the day of the wedding. I didn't hire a wedding planner, and Darla really went above and beyond to help make sure that we got all of the photos that we wanted during the hour between the ceremony and the reception. She wasn't afraid to help usher family and friends into the correct spots, and I really appreciated that she was so willing to help out. At the wedding, she was extremely professional, and she blended right in with the guests. I really wanted artistic and unusual shots, and she really delivered! I was also very impressed that she had printed out a 4x6 photo of each of our photos to use to chose the final shots for the wedding portfolio. It's wonderful to have each photo printed out! Lastly, Darla is one of the best values for the money that you can find in the DC area! I would definitely recommend her to other brides!

Sent on 12/17/2009

Debby · Married on 05/09/2009

Darla was wonderful to work with. She did not pressure us to buy more of a package than we wanted. Her prices are very reasonable. We had just her taking pictures and no videophotography. She was polite to all and very thorough. We received our pictures after around 4 weeks and they were great! She thought to take pictures of things I did not consider (i.e. bridal shoes) and got a lot of good candids. She gave us a DVD and let us decide what kind albums we wanted. A real delight.

Sent on 05/25/2009
  • I

Luci · Married on 04/11/2009

Darla did the photography for my best friend's wedding, a few years ago. I remember getting her card and I called Darla to do my wedding a couple weeks ago. Darla was already booked on my wedding day but she sent me two of her photographers. They were wonderful! They arrived on time, they were professional and they did everything that I asked them to do. They came to my house to take pictures of me getting ready. Then they met me at the church. After the ceremony, I dragged them out to a few Washington D.C. monuments to take pictures. They ran from place to place and never complained.

The two photographers were at my house at 3 PM and they left my wedding at 12 AM. Darla only charged me $2300! I thought that was amazing! Before the photographers left my reception, they showed me a few pictures that they had take of me on their digital cameras. I was so excited. The pictures looked great! I can't wait to get my pictures.

My experience with Darla and her company has been pleasant. She always returned my calls and reponded to my e-mails. I liked her customer service.

At first, I was afraid to accept any other photographer but Darla sent me the best two men she had. They were so wonderful to deal with. They always smiled and they gave me and my bridal party a lot of attention. I am sure that my photos will be awesome.

I will be most happy to share my photos with others. If any bride wants to see them, they can e-mail me: iknowlucy@yahoo.com

I have recommended Darla to a few people. They have already booked their weddings with her. For the price and service, you will not find anything better.

I very lucky that I booked my wedding photography with Darla. I know that her staff did a wonderful job.

Lucy

Sent on 04/24/2009

Lauren · Married on 01/18/2009

Darla is great. Our pictures look fantastic and she is so easy to work with. She has such a good time you can't help but have a great time with her. I would definitely recommend her.

Sent on 03/04/2009

Toni · Married on 01/10/2009

Darla provided photography for my daughter's wedding. She was just a wonderful addition to the day. Meeting with my daughter and her future husband ahead of time to understand what they wanted and what the sensibility of the wedding photos should be. Darla captured the playful, loving spirit of this wedding of a couple in their early 20's. Though she was unobtrusive, her photos seem to have been taken from every angle at all the right moments. The resulting photos and albums are just great. I would highly recommend Darla to be your wedding photographer.

Sent on 01/11/2010

Abby · Married on 09/19/2008

Darla is out of this world. Her service and attention are amazing. Her prices will shock you, especially once you have seen her portfolio. She should be charging much more for weddings, considering she is an accomplished/published photographer. She is hysterically funny yet very professional and down to business. You will not miss a picture that you want but she flies through the photos so you can get to the reception. I highly recommend Darla.

Sent on 10/07/2008

MYYS · Married on 07/26/2008

I've been meaning to write this review for a while. I've recommended Darla to several brides after she did an amazing job on our wedding. We had over 350 guests and to see her work the church photos to make sure everyone on our very long list was photographed is something we still talk about. Her packages are great too!! Book her!!

Sent on 10/21/2009

Kimberly · Married on 07/19/2008

We haven't received our pictures yet but wanted to rate Darla anyway. She is absolutely amazing! She was so much fun to work with and made us feel so comfortable. She made everyone comfortable. She is so passionate about her work. Darla added to the amazing day that we had. Thanks Darla!

Sent on 08/11/2008
  • Colleen

Colleen · Married on 03/29/2008

Darla was a FIND! I had looked at quite a lot of photographers when I stumbled across her - I don't remember how now -- but she is not only a great photographer, but a riot to work with! She made everyone laugh during pictures and she has such an easygoing, yet direct manner - she was able to keep things moving along and everyone in line for pictures, yet had them laughing at the same time.

We can't wait to see the results but from my experience interviewing 1/2 dozen photographers, she is definitely a great value!

Sent on 04/22/2008

Alejandra · Married on 03/08/2008

She was amazing!!!! the pictures came out great and she captured every moment that i and my husband wanted. i would recommend her in a heartbeat to anyone who asked. i loved working with her and would do it again on another occasion!!

Sent on 07/07/2008

Diana · Married on 11/24/2007

Darla is GREAT! She was one of our favorite vendors to work with. We talked with quite a few photographers before making our final decision, but at the end – her pricing for packages along with the quality of her work was unmatched.
    Darla is awesome to work with – her sense of humor and no-nonsense personality makes sure that you get exactly what you want. She’s got great creativity – especially for the small details (my jewelry, reception lehenga etc.). Ours was an Indian reception, and Darla was unfazed by the strong personalities of Indian parents! She also went above and beyond the call of duty – she helped get a hold of wayward caterers, stylists, errant in-laws etc. We can’t wait to work with Darla in the future (her maternity portraits are wonderful)!

Sent on 05/17/2008

Sheila · Married on 05/26/2007

Note- I am completing this questionnaire prior to seeing my pictures. My wedding was 2 weeks ago. However, based on Darla's professionalism at the site, I know the pictures are going to be perfect. Darla was more than a photographer for me at the wedding, she assisted in coordinating details (i.e., getting party to stay on tasks). She highly professional and responsive.

Sent on 06/12/2007

Karen · Married on 08/12/2006

DARLA Photography is the best photographer hands down!!!!! You must check out her website to see everything she offers for wedding packages. Every bride wants to have a photographer that understands their unspoken needs, especially on that special day. As for me, she was everything my husband and I were expecting and MORE. Her outgoing personality and honest approach in her business is very difficult to find in photography - other photographers are placing an unequal balance on profits (high) and quality (low). Her phenomenal work has kept her in this competitive business for over 35 years and has clients worldwide. This fact alone is enough said.....but let me go further. DARLA Photography offered my husband and I soooooo much for such a GREAT PRICE that we could not believe, and trust that we shopped around for weeks before discovering Darla via bridal magazines. Again, she is the best out there. I still have so much gratitude to her for capturing so many beautiful memories back on August 12th....she has become a family friend.

Sent on 04/16/2007

I hired Darla Photography for my bridal portrait and wedding/reception photography. Darla did the bridal portrait herself and it came out excellent. She was not available for my wedding day so Catherine was my photographer. She was very pleasant and easy to work with. She was not up in our face the entire day but did manage to capture a lot of really great photos!!

Sent on 06/08/2007

Jessica · Married on 08/23/2003

Darla was excellent. We were extremely pleased with both our engagement and wedding photos. We also were able to keep the negatives (pre-all digital) and that was a great bonus.

Sent on 06/23/2008

We loved Darla for our wedding nearly 10 years ago, and when I came across a Groupon for her services in August 2012, I snatched it up. I had just been thinking about a family photo shoot for our gang of 5 so it seemed like kismet to find her again!

On our wedding day she worked very well to keep everyone on task and on time. She took my requests in stride and even helped out when the groom needed assistance. She went well beyond the role of a photographer and is definitely experienced in all kinds of wedding situations!

We had her photograph our family and she was able to come to a location we choose (in the rain). She had great suggestions for us and took lots of great pictures of the children and of the family.

We liked that she gave us our files to keep and that she was so reasonable and flexible for our budget and what we wanted. I would hire her again for an event or family shoot. She is personable, funny and professional. Highly recommended!

Sent on 04/29/2013

Kathryn · Married on 04/25/2009

Darla was a pleasure to work with during the planning process for our wedding. She showed up on the day of my wedding and blended right in, using her professionalism to capture the important moments without causing a scene. She was very efficient in getting people to where they needed to be, taking the necessary photographs, and ensuring that each moment was captured perfectly. She promised me the digital pictures 4-5 weeks from the wedding, so I can't wait to see them soon. She did a wonderful job and my husband and I would highly recommend her!

Sent on 05/12/2009

Keisha · Married on 09/16/2006

Darla was one of our favorite vendors. Her packages are great! We could not believe that we would get so many pictures in our package...along with the negatives. We have received so many compliments on our engagement pictures as well as our wedding pictures. We look forward to using her services again for other occassions.

Sent on 04/30/2007