Dar-Lynn's Bridal & Formal Wear Reviews

51 | Matthews, NC

51 Reviews for Dar-Lynn's Bridal & Formal Wear

Alenna · Married on 06/07/2008

Everyone at Dar-Lynn's was very professional and helpful when looking for the right dress. They did not stalk around after me but let me look and take my time. When I found a dress I wanted to try on, someone was nearby and would take the dress into the fitting room for me. The fitting rooms are very large and the staff is helpful with getting into the dresses. After I chose "the dress" they were very kind and professional with scheduling fittings and appointments for alterations and steaming. My dress came in within 2 months of ordering it and they even kept it for me until my wedding.

Sent on 06/27/2008

Benjamin · Married on 10/29/2016

I had a lovely experience shopping for my dress. I purchased my gown and veil from there and also utilized their on-site tailor.

Sent on 12/21/2016

The ladies that work at Dar-Lynn's are very friendly and helpful. It can get VERY busy on the weekends, so make an appointment or come during the week.

I agree with the other review on here that the seamstress that does the alterations is not the nicest person, nor does she do quality work that you would expect with the price you pay. My mother and I had to be VERY pushy to get her to alter the dress the way we liked i.e. the bustle not creating very odd tufts at the bottom. She was very defensive which made it an awkward experience.

Sent on 11/12/2013

I was very happy with the value of Dar Lynn's. They were good to work with, providing guidance and information, and got me my dress in pristine condition. I'm thrilled with my dress and even more thrilled with it's price tag! I call Dar Lynn's the hidden gem off of 74.

Sent on 03/17/2013

Erin · Married on 04/04/2009

3.0

Dar-Lynn's has a huge selection of Maggie Sottero's, which is why I originally stopped in. The young workers aren't exactly professional, but once I found my dress I dealt with an older lady who was immensly helpful.

I knew what I was looking for and didn't require much assistance. If you're dependent on a consultant to help you find the one, I'd consider taking a friend.

I had absolutely NO problems with finding or having my dress ordered from Dar-Lynn's. They called once it arrived and I decided to have my alterations done through them just in case anything happened. They did a fabulous job and alterations were affordable (hem taken up, bodice let out and bustled for $140).

I also had my bridesmaid dresses ordered here. Nothing but positive remarks on this! Dresses came in SUPER fast, all fit well and were a great deal at $124/each!!!

Consider this store while you shop, you'll be please!

Sent on 05/30/2009

Dar-Lynn's is a fantastic shop. I love Casablanca and they have an entire room of this designer's dresses. The dress shopping process with alterations went very smoothly with the staff providing attention to details and not pressuring a purchase. I was able to get a video and extra help with bustling and they had the dress pressed and in perfect condition on pickup. Thanks Dar Lynn's

Sent on 11/01/2015

Allison · Married on 03/26/2016

Dar-Lynn's customer service was great! They were very helpful and listened to the type of dress I was looking for! My dress was pressed great for the bridal photo shoot and wedding as well! Will recommend to anyone for future dress shopping!

Sent on 04/13/2016

4.2
      2.5

Overall, Darlynns had a pretty good selection of dresses. When I entered the store, I was not instantly or warmly greeted. It was a bit awkward at first. But, then the appointment started, and the consultant was helpful as well as manager. Sweet ladies once they warm up to you. The dresses I thought were a bit higher than other stores were selling them. They did though have a clearance room, so that could be helpful to someone. I didn't find my dress here, but I found that other stores in the area just had a more comfortable, cleaner, newer ambience.

Sent on 01/27/2014

Barbra · Married on 07/16/2005

4.2
      3.0

The staff at this petite shop helped me find my ideal bridal gown. They were willing to work with me even though I lived nowhere nearby- I was on vacation when I found my dream gown, so they mailed it home to me in Louisville! Excellent flexibility, excellent prices.

Sent on 01/23/2008

Christine · Married on 07/05/2014

3.0

I had a wonderful experience buying my dress at Dar-Lynn's Bridal and Formal Wear in Matthews, NC for my July 5th wedding in NC. The service was decent (some bridal consultants are nicer than others), but they were on top of their game. They knew the dress industry!! They would get 5 stars in the category "Knowledge of their trade". They found me the perfect dress, in my price range, and everything ended up being great in the end.

However, the reason I am not rating Dar-Lynn's with 5 stars is because of the alterations process (a separate business run out of the bridal salon). I bought my dress at the beginning of March for a July 5th wedding. Alterations were suppose to be completed by mid April. The day they were due, I got a call stating that not only was it not completed, the seamstress had not even started on my dress. The headaches continued from there. The alterations made on my dress had to be fixed by another person and I was left without knowing how my dress would look until the monday before I walked down the isle. If you buy from Dar-Lynn's, MARIE is the little angle that saved my beautiful, $1,000 wedding gown. SHE DOES AMAZING WORK AND I WOULD REQUEST HER FROM THE VERY BEGINNING!!
    My alterations cost $320 but Dar-Lynn's agreed to absorb $40. Was it worth $280 to deal with the headache of the alterations from their establishment? Absolutely not. I will always be willing to pay what it cost for someone to perform a service for me. But the service was not performed the way in which it should have been and a mere $40 discount for over $1,300 spent there, was not enough.
    But Marie fixed it and made sure my dress was everything and more on my wedding day. So Thank you Bridal Consultants for putting me in a perfect gown back in March, and THANK YOU MARIE for saving the day on July 1st!!!!

Sent on 07/16/2014

Marisa · Married on 12/31/2012

2.5

Dar lynn's carries Maggie Sottero, I had already picked out the dress and had tried it on in another store, Dar Lynns didn't have the dress, but could order it in the color I wanted and at a better price. I took a chance. After a few excellent alterations MY dress was perfect, a complete dream dress!

I also purchased several other dresses there for my daughters, one of which was ordered in silver, and came in more of a hideous grey color, the only complaint I have is how they handled that dress, it really should have gone back to the manufacturer it was nothing like the swatch and it was really awful. Instead they tried to convince me it was great, so I left with the dress, which several people referred to as SAD looking. I replaced the dress elsewhere.

Alterations,done in store were perfection! Customer service was wonderful, staff was great!!!

Sent on 01/09/2013
  • Vanessa

Vanessa · Married on 05/13/2017

3.0

The women that run the store can be very moody

Sent on 06/27/2017
  • Jennifer

Jennifer · Married on 09/25/2010

3.0

I found my dream wedding dress at Dar-Lynn's! When I went into the store for the 1st time to try on dresses, all the employees were very nice and accommodating. But after I purchased the dress, they treated me differently since they already had my money/business. I had to go in several more times for fittings, alterations, to find a veil and shoes, and I never felt very welcome.

Sent on 10/05/2010

Joshua · Married on 05/31/2009

3.5

We really like our tuxes and bridesmaids dresses/the wedding dress. The people that worked at the store weren't very friendly but apparently it's the place to go to in Charlotte. Overall I was happy with the price and what we got.

Sent on 06/17/2009
  • Chastity

Chastity · Married on 05/20/2012

3.5

I found my perfect dress. It was on the sale rack- that was awesome! I thought they would let me keep my dress there but apparently since my dress was a sale dress it couldn't stay. Paid for or not... They did let me bring it back to be pressed before the wedding. That was nice. I think they could use a little boost in service and professionalism but other than that, my dress was perfect.

Sent on 06/09/2012

Kristy · Married on 03/31/2012

2.5

The Wedding Dress was purchased there. The dresses that they had were beautiful and the lady that helped us was very nice. The only drawback was that we had a problem with the dress and they wouldn't do anything to help us. One thing that was nice about the place though was that they pressed the dress for us and held on to it up until the morning of the wedding. It all turned out good. They had a much better selection than David's Bridal, which is where the bridesmaid's Dresses were purchased. I would say it wouldn't be a bad place to use for the wedding dress only, not so great with bridesmaid's dresses.

Sent on 04/01/2012

Kelly · Married on 11/12/2011

3.5

Darlynn's was great...especially Mallory! SO much help! I would go somewhere else for alterations though.

Sent on 12/06/2011

Kirsten · Married on 02/11/2012

3.4
      3.0

I absolutely love my dress it was so perfect for me . Darlynn's was the only place that had the Sottero dresses I wanted so, I'm extremely greatful for that.

Sent on 02/28/2012

Britt · Married on 09/08/2007

3.2
      3.0

I bought my dress in a sample sale and got a really good deal. However, the people aren't very friendly.

Sent on 03/04/2008

Natalie · Married on 10/13/2012

2.0
      3.0

I loved my dress and it was a great price. However, the are not at all flexible. I ordered a veil and the company no longer made it. They refused to give us back our money. We had to use it in the store, which was very frustrating! Do not pay for anything unless they're sure they can get it in! On a positive note their alterations lady was great!

Sent on 11/12/2012

Trina · Married on 10/13/2013

2.4
      3.0

My wedding was last Sunday (10.13.2013) and although in the beginning of my experience with Dar-Lynn's was quite enjoyable, the sooner it got to my wedding the less enjoyable it became. The alterations lady was extremely rude in my own opinion to me at times and also to one of my bridesmaid. My second fitting ended up with me noticing part of the boning in my dress was sticking out. The alterations lady assured me that she would take care of it. That next weekend my mother and I went back so she could learn to tie up the back of my dress and while lacing it up, noticed MAKEUP or some other kind of stain on the back of my white dress. Also, the boning was still sticking out. Another lady again assured me that all would be taken care of when I came back to pick it up. 3 weeks later I went back. I asked to see my dress before taking it home, looked on the back and the stain was STILL there. The one girl apologized and luckily removed the stain in the store. 3 days later it was my wedding day, I put my dress on and to my shock and horror the boning was sticking out!! Everyone said they could not see it, but I knew they were only being nice. I would look in the mirror and see it sticking out the side. The whole day that thought was in the back of my mind. Dar-Lynn's in my eyes did not care. I don't know why it changed so much. My experience went from being so happy and relived that I found a dress to crying on my wedding day because they did not fix what was promised to me. If I could change one thing about my wedding, it would be that I found my dress somewhere else.

Sent on 10/20/2013

1.2
      1.0

If you are at all plus size or on a budget, I don't recommend. I went in with my goddaughter, at first things were nice. I was greated soon as I walked in and we got started. I'm maybe 40lbs over weight. One of the owners was helping me. She had me in and out of dresses so fast I barely got to take a look at them. I maybe had 6 dresses on and off in 10 minutes. Finally we found one I demanded I get to really look at. She kept making small jabs about my weight. Then she said "if you loose 5 or 10 pounds, you'll look great." I was in shock. She should have never said anything like that. I know I'm not perfect but alterations can be made. Seemed as though she just wanted to not have me there. I got back into my clothes thanked them and left. I was so hurt. I understand I'm not the idle size but to say that to someone is uncalled for. No matter a woman's size she should feel beautiful on her wedding day. But seems to me not everyone feels that way, at least not there

Sent on 07/13/2016

Christina · Married on 06/27/2015

1.5
      1.0

I went in looking for a wedding dress and was not happy with how I was treated, the person that I spoke with made it very obvious that I was taking up her time and she had no desire to help me. When I asked about seeing the gowns they have available she pointed me where they were and asked when my wedding was; after telling her she crunched her face and said, "well you will have to be happy with something off the rack then because there is no way I can get you anything special ordered by then." (wedding is 5.5 months away). As I entered the small area the gowns were she asked so how much are you wanting to spend anyhow? I told her I was free to spend whatever I chose but that didnt plan on going crazy. I was a little offended by her first question...I mean it wasn't what are you looking for? or what kind of wedding are you having... not anything to make me feel welcome, valued or my business wanted. I turned to look at the gowns and when I looked back she was gone.... my suspensions were correct, she didn't want my business....so I left. I will go to my wedding in jeans before I buy from them..... By stating that I conducted business with them, I am saying that I went in with every intent on spending money and they ruined the chance to have me as a customer.

Sent on 02/11/2015

katie · Married on 05/04/2007

0.6
      0.0

My husbands tux was supposed to arrive 2 days before the wedding and he had to got get it the morning of the wedding. Very unprofessional. They value their prom people mre than their brides. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent on 04/09/2008
  • Mrs. Duda

Annezelle · Married on 06/17/2017

0.4
      0.5

[I would highly recommend, suggest, and beg you to go elsewhere.] I bought the dress a few weeks ago and long story short: they forgot to give me the $100 towards my dress when they charged me so I had to remind them they gave me that. I also had to remind her she said I would get $150 towards any veil, but I decided to purchase my veil elsewhere anyway.
    We went back for alterations and I never thought something so simple could end so poorly. When we purchased the dress, we decided only to do the arm-area. When we arrived, the lady hands me push up padding. I was so confused, but assumed it was for making sure the fit was right if I put a bra on. Nope, this was like 3 cups bigger than what I really am. I told her I didn’t need them and she comes back with a slightly smaller size. I love how I am being passive aggressively insulted for my small chest before I am ever even greeted, congratulated, or asked how I am doing on this raining day? I am happy with my chest and told her that I didn’t want it (I never even asked for it!?!?)
    Rather than shortening it where the strap thins and would be easily hidden with my hair, she wants to add a seem in the middle of my back! I asked her to pin it back the other way on my one arm so I could see the difference between the two. It was $135 for the complicated, dress-ruining way and $165 for the practical, easily hidden way. I told her I wanted it the practical way as long as they remember to cut the slit under the arm a little (because now the arm eye is smaller, too).
    They tried to charge me $175 after telling me $165. He was nice enough to go confirm this with her but she hesitated and denied it. A $10 difference isn’t the reason I left. The terrible customer service, poor judgment call by the ‘seamstress’ on where to alter the lace, the changing and denial of the price, and the constant dumbfounded look I probably had on my face after half the stuff that was being said is why.

Sent on 04/25/2017