Congress Hall Reviews

45 | Cape May, NJ

45 Reviews for Congress Hall

Congress is such a beautiful and unique venue. The grand ballroom where the reception takes place is so cool - tiffany blue walls and a black and white checkered floors.

My husband and I worked with Colleen O'Sullivan, and she was fantastic in every way. She and I communicated through email, and she was always thorough and prompt when responding to all emails. She was specific and communicative about necessary deadlines, without being pushy. For the rehearsal and wedding, she was enthusiastic, professional and kept everything running like well oiled machine. She was so warm and friendly, that I felt like I had hired a friend to take care of everything for me. If you are getting married at Congress Hall, definitely ask for her.

The food was delicious and they have a good selection of wine and alcohol. The kitchen was able to accommodate our vegetarian and vegan requests (they were also delicious!). The service was great!

Sent on 05/17/2014

Jennifer · Married on 11/23/2013

Expensive, however I did not have to worry about anything the day of my wedding. I was calm and Colleen the wedding coordinator was phenomenal. The food was delicious and our guests were very impressed. The whole planning process was a breeze;the wedding team was great. Great venue, unique location and awesome food. I am so happy my husband and I can go back whenever we'd like to remember our special day.

Sent on 03/29/2014

Lauren · Married on 04/21/2012

Congress Hall is the most perfect place in the world to have a wedding!!!! As soon as we walked in the door we were sold! The building and lawn are gorgeous and all of the updated historical details make it so unique looking. We found so many amazing places to take interesting pictures! Krista who works with you in the beginning on the business details and Daniella who helps you plan and facilitate all of the details for the day of are both so friendly and helpful. Daniella made sure everything ran smoothly so I didn't have to think about it on our day. The food was all delicious and the servers were friendly and helpful. Everyone kept telling us how beautiful the wedding was and how much they enjoyed the food and all of the details. You will not regret getting married here

Sent on 07/23/2012

Megan · Married on 04/30/2011

Congress Hall was amazing. Besides being a gorgeous location, Krista and Daniella were incredibly professional and made sure that every detail was taken care of for my wedding. Everyone was incredibly responsive and there to make sure our every need was taken care of. They were wonderful throughout the whole process.
    The food was outstanding! We have gotten so many rave reviews from our guests - especially for the mashed potato bar!
    Although Congress Hall may be a little more expensive for a venue than what many brides are looking for, they certainly were worth the money for the excellent service and the peace of mind we had knowing that our event was going to be perfect.

Sent on 05/24/2011

Josephine · Married on 07/11/2010

We were so pleased with everything at Congress Hall. The venue is such a beautiful, unique space. The food was delicious. The service was outstanding. It was pricey to hold our wedding there during the summer, but we loved the beach feel of that time of year. The planners at Congress Hall were excellent. They were extremely professional and attentive. Our guests had a great time in Cape May!

Sent on 08/10/2010

We were recently married at Congress Hall. The first time I went to Congress Hall and saw a wedding there, I absolutely fell in love. The venue is just absolutely perfect. The colors, the history, the decor, it's all just stunning. So, when after looking at a zillion venues, I finally settled on Congress Hall, it was no surprise. It just felt right.

Our wedding was absolutely magnificent. We had a beautiful day thank goodness. Everything was set up exactly the way I envisioned it to look and everything went so smoothly. We were married outside on the lawn and had our cocktail hour on the veranda. Everything was beautiful, meticulous and every detail was worked out. The reception was also fantastic. The tables were all set to perfection and no detail was overlooked. My guests raved about the venue and the food. Everything was just perfect. After the wedding ended, we all headed down to the Boiler Room where the party continued.

A lot, I have to say had to do with the two wonderful women that I worked with at Congress Hall. First, our wedding coordinator Colleen O'Sullivan was AMAZING. She is warm, caring and very professional. She made me feel at ease and as though everything was SO well taken care of. She was so easy to talk and plan with and I am so happy she was my wedding coordinator.

The other person is Meredith Borrell who was also fantastic. Anytime Colleen was somewhere else, Meredith was right there with me as well. There was never a minute I felt abandoned or neglected. Literally, every detail was clearly explained to myself, my husband, and our wedding party. I have NEVER been to a wedding where this was the case and am happy to say it was my wedding where the venue finally got it right. I cannot say enough about these two wonderful women. They made my wedding day my absolute dream day.

Congress Hall is just the perfect venue for a romantic weekend. Your guests will LOVE it and absolutely rave about every part of your wedding weekend.

Sent on 04/27/2014

Alaina · Married on 10/02/2011

Congress Hall provided the perfect setting for our dream wedding! Gorgeous grounds, indoor and out, required very little additional decoration. We seriously felt like movie stars from another era! It was the first and last place we looked. Our guests have provided nothing but great feedback about the food, service, location and accommodations.

Also important to note - Daniella, the day-of coordinator, was a life saver! She was extremely professional and made everything run like clockwork. Krista, the sales manager, was also helpful and great to work with.

The only thing I'd say needs improvement is their vendor list. It was somewhat limited and I didn't have a good experience with a few of the vendors, particularly the florists.

Sent on 01/24/2012
  • W

Whitney · Married on 10/23/2010

Congress Hall is an amazing place to visit and an amazing place to host a wedding reception. The staff is flexible, responsive, professional, and very communicative. The venue is beautiful and classic, the food was great (including the cake!), and the service was excellent. The price is a bit high, but completely worth the expense.

The flexibility rating only reflects the fact that Congress Hall does have minimum guest requirements and specific time frames for the reception (although that worked fine). When we had fewer guests than initially expected, Daniella, the event coordinator, was great about working with us.

Also of note, the staff at Congress Hall is extremely helpful with set-up and clean-up. I dropped everything off the morning of the wedding and it was all taken care of by Daniella and her staff.

Sent on 11/09/2010

Erin · Married on 06/07/2009

My wedding at Congress Hall was a fairytale! The wedding coordinator was fantastic. She was always available to answer any questions. She was very flexible in her meeting times. She had a wonder worksheet that we completed together that contained all the details. The wedding went very smoothly without any issues. Our ceremony was on the beach, and she made sure everything was set up and people were in their proper places. All the staff at Congress Hall are very friendly and professional. The service is fantastic and the food excellent. The cake was beautiful and very delicious. Kudos to the chefs! The building and the grounds are beautiful. It's a perfect place for pictures. I would highly recommend Congress Hall!

Sent on 06/30/2009

Beth · Married on 10/27/2007

The staff here was more than willing to help with the planning, set-up and anything else we requested. Although the cost is a bit high, being that this is the premier venue in Cape May to get married/have a reception at, the cost was more than worth it. Everything was beautifully set-up, the food was A+++ and the venue itself was grand and gorgeous, with the ocean right across the way. Our guests gave us so many compliments on the ceremony and the reception; we would recommend this business to anyone planning to get married in Cape May, NJ.

Sent on 01/04/2008

Marisa · Married on 05/29/2011

We had our 5/29/11 ceremony and reception. Overall, a wonderful location. Very unique and old world seaside charm. I didn't want a token wedding "hall" and this definitely was not that. Very beautiful grounds and great service. We had our ceremony on the lawn--much better than beach b/c of wind. The reception room is just gorgeous--Tiffany blue walls, black and white floors, chandeliers. Amazing! The rooms are fab too. Cape May is a great location!

Sent on 06/20/2011

Gabrielle · Married on 05/03/2009

Couldn't recommend Congress Hall more!

Sent on 05/19/2009

Susan · Married on 09/12/2014

We had our reception at Congress Hall and it was wonderful! It is a spectacular venue and our guests are still raving about it. The food is very good and we were pleased with the way everything worked out. Our coordinators were great and responded quickly to any requests, it was great to know we were in good hands and did not have to worry about anything. It is a very special place and the perfect atmosphere for a wedding reception.

Sent on 11/08/2014

Jennifer · Married on 12/22/2012

3.0

Our winter wedding at Congress Hall was absolutely beautiful. Daniella and Krista were AMAZING to work with! CH was so stunning and decorated so nicely for Christmas...our guests still talk about our wedding months later. The food was over the top delicious and our cocktail hour was to die for! We had an acoustic guitar player, John Valerio and a cigar attendant, Chris from Up in Smoke. Our hotel rooms were so clean and quaint. We had a WONDERFUL wedding at Congress Hall and look forward to visiting again! Thank you again!

My only complaint is Congress Hall doesn't allow a time gap in between the ceremony and cocktail hour which would of been great to do our pictures. That's the only reason why I rated flexibility 3 out of 5 stars. We were really disappointed we couldn't have a lapse of time to do pictures. But besides that, everything was perfect.

Sent on 05/07/2013

Stephanie · Married on 11/15/2008

Congress Hall is a beautiful venue. This hotel, built in the early 1800's, is extremely historic site, and has retained its charm. The ballroom is extremely unique with original black & white checkerboard wood floors and tiffany blue walls... no cookie cutter ballroom here!
    Due to weather we had to have everything inside (and the cocktail hour in the downstairs club, the Boiler Room). Though this was the Plan B, it all worked out wonderfully and still provided an amazing night. Our original plan was to have the ceremony and cocktail hour outdoors under the veranda - it would have been beautiful.
    They were amazing to work with, the food was excellent, the cake gorgeous, and the entire event was seamless. Lindsey, our wedding coordinator, truly ran the whole day & night for us so that we could just relax and enjoy ourselves... I don't think I've ever danced so much!
    I wish we could do it all again! It was truly a perfect evening.

Sent on 12/09/2008

Brynn · Married on 07/23/2010

Our experience with Congress Hall was AWESOME. We absolutely loved the venue and although it was pricey, it was worth every penny.
    We gave the pastry chef a photo of an idea for a wedding cake and they did a beautiful job interpreting the image for our own personalized cake. The food was spectacular as we had expected (if you have eaten at the Blue Pig you know what great food you will be getting). They were flexible and helpful with our personalized accents for the wedding (fresh cut lavender in the champagne glasses, arranging the centerpieces since we did them ourselves and there was no florist, allowing my husband to open the champagne bottle with a sword...) One of the bonuses of having you reception at Congress Hall is working with Danielle, she's a lifesaver and so calm! It like having a wedding planner without the pricetag! Aside from the character of the room which i feel most venues lack, the best thing about having a reception at Congress Hall is the ability to go back and spend the night, eat or just visit!

I think the only issue we had was that prior to the wedding I specifically asked that there be no tip jar on the bars (because it's tacky and gratuity was already included in our fees) however the jars appeared on the bars part way through the reception. grrr. But that was the worst of it!

Sent on 04/26/2011

neda · Married on 07/08/2012

My wedding was beautiful. Congress Hall really made my day special.

Sent on 08/16/2012

Rachael · Married on 08/04/2013

4.2
      3.0

This venue is both amazing and gorgeous. The whole place gives off such personality that we fell in love with it the second we set foot on the property!
    The gardens are beautiful, the ball room is fantastic and the food is delicious!
    We had some minor communication issues a few months before the wedding due to some staff changes, but everything worked out beautifully in the end. The wedding went without any issues, and we couldn't be happier.
    Open bar, amazing cake, incredible food!

Sent on 08/28/2013

Hadley · Married on 08/01/2015

3.4
      3.0

Congress Hall is an unbelievably gorgeous venue. Definitely has the best views and prettiest venue in Cape May. From the cocktail hour on the veranda to dinner and dancing the the ballroom, it's all so perfect. The food is not the best, which is what you expect from a wedding, but at around $200 a plate after taxes and tips, I'd expect the food to be a little better... The cake that CH does, was amazing though! CH is flexible with moving tables and bars around to be where you want for the cocktail hour. We had 180 people, and if it rained it would have been very tight under the veranda for the cocktail hour. Luckily, it didn't and we used some of the amazing lawn and had plenty of room. My biggest problem day-of was that there were some random kids running around on the lawn, darting between guests. They cannot make the cocktail hour completely private, so that's definitely a downfall. They block it off slightly, but not fully, but our day of coordinator did not do a great job of keeping strangers away. At one point, ANOTHER BRIDE walked through our cocktail hour. That was totally uncalled for.
    Our day of coordinator also didn't show up the day of until around 1230/1pm and we had been there since 8am. I am not sure if this is usual, so definitely make sure you are clear on this. We needed her (or anyone) for some parking problems my photographer had and no one was there to help.
    Everything else as far as set-up and timing went very smoothly.

Sent on 08/19/2015
  • I

brent · Married on 08/12/2008

2.6
      0.5
      3.0

i thought it cost way to much compared to what we got. It was a beautiful day but MUCHO bucks!

Sent on 09/23/2008