16 Reviews for Compass & Anchor Club

16 Compass & Anchor Club Reviews

WOW ! Compass and Anchor Club exceeded our expectations for our son's rehearsal dinner of 65 guests. Linda, their coordinator flawlessly followed through with all of our requests and always with a pleasant and professional manner. The food was outstanding. Linda and her staff did everything possible to make this evening a wonderful memory for our family and friends. We highly recommend this venue for all of your wedding or reception needs. Thank you Compass and Anchor for an outstanding job.

The Webb Family in Richmond Virginia

Profile Picture William, 8/31/13, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

From the moment we first met to book our wedding and reception at the Elks Lodge/Compass & Anchor Club in November 2011, to the very end of our evening on August 18, 2012, everyone and I mean everyone was so accommodating. With the help of Kathleen Wheaton, rental agent of the Elks Lodge and the owner of Elegant Momentz by Kathleen, the whole planning process was stress free. The staff of the Compass & Anchor Club are professional. The food was cooked to perfection. This venue is not only great for weddings but any event you may be planning. There is a very nice lawn area that is great for outdoor wedidngs, parties or other events. I would highly recommend this venue.

Profile Picture Linda, 8/18/12, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
4.2

I booked the Compass and Anchor Club about a year before my reception. Tony, the reception site coordinator, was great at that time. For about a two week period that followed he responded to all of my questions very quickly. I occasionally had a question afterwords to which he would reply within a few days. In March, I found out that the Compass and Anchor Club had been sold from the Knights of Columbus to the Elks. Tony's boss (I want to say Scott..?) called me to let me know it had happened and that everything in my contract would stay the same. That wasn't much of a stressful scenario, just a surprise. But it was at this point that I really struggled with my communication with Tony. He would often take several days to answer a simple question - to the point where I would reply to the email I sent in hopes of bumping it up in his inbox. My impatience I suppose was my biggest problem, but there became an actual problem when a question wasn't answered before the wedding - I rented chairs to bring on site. My husband picked them up and went to the site to drop them off at 10:30am and no one could be found at the site. I called Tony, stressed, and he called back an hour later, saying he thought it was 1:30. Luckily, the bartender happened to come early and let the boys in. But Tony never replied to me about when the chairs needed to be picked up. My father-in-law had to find out literally while we were walking out at the end of the reception. Also, I mailed the final check to them with plenty of time but apparently it hadn't been received and Tony chose to tell me this halfway through my reception. I found that to be extremely inappropriate timing. Yes, of course they need to be paid, but its something that shouldn't be discussed in the middle of the reception.
All of that being said, the food was great, the service was great, the set up was great.
The 'stalls' that remain from its original purpose as a barn make it a little difficult for seating - the larger 'stalls' were great with the round tables, but the rectangular tables in the smaller 'stalls' were a little of a tight fit. But that's kind of part of the space. I thought the space was beautiful and unique - it was nice to not have to be in a hotel ballroom. The temperature stayed cool throughout the reception. Ii did have to seat some people upstairs, but no one felt isolated from everything going on.
My husband had promised me chocolate covered strawberries at our wedding :) and even though it was off-site food, Tony was very chill about it, which made me really happy.
It was a positive experience with the exception of the chairs and the check discussion.

Profile Picture Holly, 4/30/11, 7 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I found the entire venue to be extremely helpful. On the night of our rehearsal, Tony (the event coordinator) called to let me know that he was stuck in traffic but was trying to be there. He let me know that he had left Isabella in charge in case he could not make it. Steve, the head chef, took the time to introduce himself to us and make sure that the menu was exactly what my husband and I wanted. On the day of the wedding, Steve even came to us to ensure that we were happy with the choice and quality of foods we had selected. I changed my mind about table layouts at least three times a day, but Tony worked diligently to ensure that on the day of my wedding, I was completely content with the table layout. On the day of the wedding, just before being introduced as husband and wife at the reception, I had a problem with a low blood sugar. Tony completely took charge and knew to bring me orange juice and snacks. He kept the rehearsal running smoothly and the guests happy while I worked on my medical issue. My husband I could not have been happier with this venue and the employees.

Profile Picture April, 10/9/10, 5 Reviews
2.8

We had our ceremony and reception at the Compass & Anchor Club and were very angry and disappointed with the service that we received on the day of the wedding. Like most couples, we spent nearly a year carefully planning our wedding. We made sure to communicate all of our wishes to the wedding coordinator at the Compass & Anchor Club and he assured us time and again that everything would be handled as we requested. Unfortunately, many of our instructions were completely disregarded, effectively ruining the evening for us. Although we had an agenda for the evening written into our contract, it was not followed. We and our bridal party were introduced 45 minutes later than scheduled, meaning that we missed nearly a quarter of our 4-hour reception. Hors d’ourves were not served to us or any of our guests until approximately 45 minutes into the cocktail hour. We were told by the coordinator that an issue with one of our guests was the reason for the hold-up but later learned that the real issue was that waitstaff knocked over and broke our unity candle holders that had been engraved with our names. Our first dance was played at the incorrect time due to a lack of communication between the coordinator and the DJ, even though the coordinator assured us that he works closely with the DJ to make sure that everything runs according to plan. Our first dance song was then played again later in the evening in an attempt to correct their previous mistake, although we had clearly told the coordinator that we didn’t want it played a second time.

We and our parents spent the majority of the evening looking for the coordinator to fix something that had been done incorrectly. This was supposed to be a night of fun for all of us; instead, it was a night filled with one disappointment after another. We never could have imagined feeling that way about our wedding day and would not wish that type of disappointment upon any other couple. When we confronted the coordinator after the wedding, he did offer us a small refund which he said was “more than fair” compensation for the broken unity candles and “the service part that you feel [the Compass & Anchor Club] did not accomplish.” While we appreciate this gesture, no amount of money will make up for the mess that was made of our wedding. It was unorganized, unprofessional, and it truly seemed like this was the first wedding that they had ever done. When it comes to weddings, the venue and staff have only one chance to get things right and the Compass & Anchor Club failed us on all counts. We have no choice now but to accept what happened to our wedding day but we truly hope that other couples do not make the same mistake that we did.

Profile Picture Christina, 6/26/10, 1 Review
1.5

Embarrassment, frustration disappointment. Of all the emotions a mother feels on her daughter’s wedding day, these are the emotions you never expect to feel; yet this is how I felt at the end of my daughter’s reception at the Compass & Anchor Club. The service provided by the Rental Agent/Wedding Coordinator and his staff was amateurish, unprofessional and unorganized.

After spending more than nine months helping my daughter plan every detail of her wedding and reception, I made it clear to the coordinator that I did not want to work the night of the actual event. He assured me that he would be there to make sure everything was carried out as we wished; however, from the moment I walked into the hall 30 minutes prior to the wedding, I knew this was not going to be the case. Guests were handing me gifts because there was no formal gift table set up as we had requested. The candles were not lit before the ceremony began, as they were supposed to be. My daughter and son-in-law wrote and planned the entire wedding ceremony, but only those in the first couple rows could hear it because no one bothered to set up microphones for the ceremony, as requested. After the ceremony, the bridal party was ushered to the bar downstairs while our guests were left upstairs wondering what they should do while the room was transformed from the ceremony setting to the reception setting. Appetizers were to be served to the bridal party and the rest of the guests immediately after the ceremony; however, when I went upstairs after half an hour of waiting for food, I was mortified to discover that the bridal party were not the only ones without food—my guests had not been served their appetizers during the cocktail hour either.

There was no one present to act as Master of Ceremony for the evening – a coordinator to make sure the evening ran smoothly (i.e., tell guests what to do and where to go, act as a liaison to the D.J. to make sure the timing of the events was correct, etc.). So, rather than enjoying the fruits of our labor, my husband and I spent the night of our daughter’s wedding trying to right things that went wrong. My husband even missed our daughter cutting her wedding cake because he was trying to locate the coordinator, who once again was nowhere to be found.

Looking back, I wish we had chosen a different venue for my daughter’s wedding. Other sites may have charged more, but the service we would have received would have been worth the extra cost.

Profile Picture User1189621, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Everything was fantastic! We all worked well together. Tony was patient, helpful and just fun to work with. When I was nervous, he calmed me down and tied to work with me as much as possible.
Thank yoU!

Profile Picture Barbara, 5/22/10, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our ceremony right outside the Barn, and reception inside the Barn. This venue is wonderful if you are looking for something unique and quaint. We received many compliments on the well picked location, the warm feeling of the space, and the friendly service! As a plus, by having your event at the Compass and Anchor Club, you are supporting an organization dedicated to community service. We believe supporting community is important, so this extra bonus sealed the deal for us! Naturally, we loved having the “Bingo,” and “Friday Dinners” banners hanging outside the Barn as it is part of the character of the venue - although, I’m sure they would take it down if you wanted them too! Also, huge compliments to Tony Sossa (the event coordinator at the Barn); he is incredibly easy to work with, very responsive (I never had to wait more than half a day to hear back from him, often times his responses were within minutes, even at midnight), not pushy at all (as many wedding vendors, in my experience, can be), and made us feel at ease from day one through the wedding! There were no fire drills throughout the planning process, and the “big” day happened seamlessly! Thanks Tony and team for being a huge part of such a wonderful, worry-free, and stress-free day! We had a blast and so did our family and guests!!

Profile Picture Kim, 5/15/10, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The compass and anchor club is by far the best value out there... they were wonderful to work with, the site is beautiful (if you can get past the Bingo sign out front:)) and the food and service was the best!! we would have our reception here again in a heatbeat! also, we defanitely suggest using Kathleen as the decorator... she has been doing it for years, knows the place like the back of her hand and is WONDERFUL to work with and amazingly creative!!

Profile Picture Erin, 5/8/10, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Wonderful venue, especially if you are looking to not spend a fortune. Everyone is still commenting about how beautiful the reception was and how they wish they had known about them before their wedding. If you chose to go with KoC, you NEED to use Kathleen (with Elegent Momentz) as your decorator (she does most of the weddings there and knows how to make the room stunning!) When you walk in, the place doesnt look like that much, but when it is decorated it looks like a dream! Plus, she will work with you to get exactly the look you are going for :)

I cant imagine having my wedding anywhere else, an overall great place!

Profile Picture Erin, 5/8/10, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Tony is great! He literally saved my reception. We got married on the day of the Blizzard of 2009! It was a mess and there was no way our guests or us could make it to the reception hall. A lot of other places would have said, "sorry, you can't cancel and reschedule the day of the wedding" but Tony recognized that our situation was out of our control and a special circumstance. Tony worked with us to find a new date and time with minimal added costs. AND he let us come to the reception hall to show it to our families before they all left town. Even though it wasn't out official event, Tony went out of his way to make sure our family got to experience our wedding reception. am so glad I went with The Compass and Anchor Club. I have never been more satisfied with any service I have ever received!

Profile Picture Alan, 12/18/09, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

When we went shopping for a place to have our reception we looked everywhere! Most of what we found would charge a flat rate for the space rental then either a per plate price on top of that or we had to get our own catering. Then, a lot of them didn't have the beautiful space that the Knights of Columbus Compass & Anchor Club has. It turned out to be one of the prettiest places available and the most affordable.

The menu options was larger than I anticipated and the per plate rate was excellent. It was really hard to pick what we wanted to have because everything we tasted was wonderful. They also offer a variety of packages that were easy to decipher and convenient to choose from. It was very user friendly and not at all confusing.

As for the staff, they were great! They kept us on-time, were flexible with the time and extremely helpful. They even hunted unusual items down that we needed while there. I nearly cried when I found they had removed the lighted wall so I could have a beautiful view from the window behind me. I don't know what I would have done without them! They did a great job; better than I had anticipated.

Profile Picture Shelly, 9/26/09, 6 Reviews
4.7

I had my wedding reception at this location. I was very happy withm everything they did for. It isn't a high dollar venue, which I wanted. Any time I need something Tony (event coordinator) was sure to make it happen. I was verypleased with this location and would recommend it to anyone.

Profile Picture Jessica, 8/8/09, 7 Reviews
Category: Catering

I really loved the Compass & Anchor Club. It fit my budget which was a plus. Also they do the catering for you as well so I didn't have to worry about going and having to find one. The rental hall agent was on top of everything from beginning to end. They are vary flexible with everything. I couldn't tell you how many times I changed my mind from one thing to the other and they went with the flow to make sure my wedding day was what I wanted. My wedding day was absolutely perfect and I wouldn't have changed anything about the entire day. Everything was absolutely beautiful! The experience was absolutely amazing and I couldn't have asked for anything better!

Profile Picture Heather, 5/23/09, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
4.7

My husband and I chose The Compass & Anchor Club for our reception. They were very flexible, kind, and inexpensive. They worked very hard to provide a custom package for us, including finding a DJ and decorating/cake service. We had a great time here!

Profile Picture Emily, 4/20/09, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Extremely pleasant people to work with. We had an unfortunate incident and they were able to accommodate us two days before the wedding date and everything was absolutely perfect. I will recommend them to anyone!

Profile Picture Delia , 1/31/09, 1 Review
Category: Event Rentals & Photobooths, Flowers, Unique Services (Other), Wedding Planning