Commander's Mansion Reviews

Commander's Mansion 5
Commander's Mansion 6
Commander's Mansion 7

Mary · Married on 10/15/2016

The Commander's Mansion is such a beautiful and versatile venue, and we are so happy to have had our wedding there. The staff was always very friendly, and worked hard to make sure our big day was everything we hoped it could be. It was such a positive overall experience and we would recommend it to anyone looking in the area for any variety of events!

Sent on 10/29/2016

Dana · Married on 02/29/2012

3.0

I can’t imagine a better place to have a wedding than Commander’s Mansion. It was the only venue we looked at and we knew from the moment we stepped in it was perfect. Victoria was amazing to work with and made us feel at ease and supported through the entire process. The best thing about the mansion is that it provided variety while being all in one location. We were able to do our ceremony out in the arbor (which is GORGEOUS in the summer/fall), the cocktail hour inside the mansion and the reception out in the tent. That allowed us to keep things interesting without dealing with the headache of transporting our guests to multiple places. Commander’s Mansion is definitely a phenomenal place to have your wedding!

Sent on 09/17/2017

Brittany · Married on 07/22/2017

Commander's Mansion was everything we were looking for in a Boston-area venue for our mid-July wedding! Near the airport, lots of good hotels nearby, flexibility on timing and vendors (which was especially helpful in keeping alcohol costs down), and big/beautiful grounds so that different parts of the wedding could occur in different locations. We had a little trouble getting in touch initially, but everything was smooth sailing after that. We held a picnic event for our guests at the mansion the day before our wedding, and then had our ceremony (grape arbor)/cocktail hour (indoor/outdoor)/reception (tent in the back with a permanent brick floor) at the venue the following day. It was perfect for everything. The mansion is well air conditioned, which is a game changer during the summer so guests can cool off during the cocktail hour. The grape arbor was lush and beautiful for the ceremony. And the fact that we didn't have to pay separately for the reception tent made it a much more affordable venue. Would highly recommend the Commander's Mansion!

Sent on 09/19/2017

We had our wedding at Commander's Mansion last month and could not have asked for a more unique, beautiful venue! Throughout the months leading up to the wedding, everyone was so flexible and really helped make the process as special as possible. Tammy is so sweet and terrific!

Sent on 06/09/2015
  • W

Whitney · Married on 07/05/2014

This is a lovely venue and the staff (Tammy and Rae) are fantastic! I am so glad we held our wedding here. The indoor and outdoor options are priceless in case of poor weather.

Sent on 08/05/2014

Bristol · Married on 08/20/2017

4.2
      3.5

This gorgeous venue is a hidden gem in the Boston area, an incredible value for the price! We loved the flexibility and variety of all the different indoor and outdoor spaces around the property. The patio tent looked very elegant. The property is spacious, comfortable, and accessible.

Sent on 10/20/2017
    Commander's Mansion 8
    Commander's Mansion 9
    Commander's Mansion 10
    Commander's Mansion 11

Molly · Married on 06/18/2016

3.5

We got married at Commander's Mansion last month and couldn't have asked for a more beautiful venue. When my husband and I started looking at venues, we fell in love instantly with the Mansion. We loved that we were able to have the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception in three different places so that our guests could appreciate all the venue had to offer. We started out working with Casey, who was wonderful, and after she left our main contact person was Tammy, who was also great. At times, it did seem like we had to email or call a couple of times before we received a response, but during the week leading up to the wedding, they responded more quickly. Our only disappointment was that you have to pay extra for any time over 8 hours. This made getting ready at the mansion as we had hoped, out of our budget. Overall, a beautiful venue that feels like you're farther from the city than you really are!

Sent on 07/15/2016

Rachel · Married on 05/24/2009

3.0

We stumbled on the Commander's Mansion one day when we lived in Watertown and got lost on the way to Panera. It's a unique, beautiful venue, and everyone told us how much they loved it, and they appreciated being able to wander around inside and out, and not be stuck in one room the whole day. We did not have our ceremony here, but we did utilize the grounds for photos, and we had the reception inside the mansion, which helped force us to keep our guest list small, since the ballrooms only hold 88 people, tops (we had 84 and it was a little tight).

Our communication leading up to the event was fabulous, and Rae was so sweet and responsive. She told us about the Watertown resident discount, which saved us 20%, and all we needed was a "sponsor" who lived in Watertown. She was also very quick to respond to emails and help me with layout and logistics ideas. We also met Tammy a couple days before the wedding, and she was equally sweet and helpful.

However, on the day of the wedding we had a different staff person working our event, which disappointed me a bit, since we had worked so closely with Rae. This other staff person couldn't figure out the A/C, so I was stuck upstairs in the sweltering heat getting ready. Then at the end of the night, we were the only ones left (my husband, my parents and I) and we were looking for her to thank her for her help, and she was nowhere to be found. When we did find her, I told her that my husband was upstairs looking for her, and she says "yeah, well I was cleaning up vomit in the bathroom, so oh well". Ok, sorry that one of my guests got sick, but, um... really? I'm in my wedding dress, and you're going to complain about vomit? It just seemed like she didn't need to complain to the bride. She also told us we weren't allowed to bring the leftover alcohol with us that night, which was about 6 or 7 half-full bottles, and that we'd have to come back on Tuesday to get it. Well, my husband went to pick it up on Tuesday, and it was all gone. Not that it's a big deal, but it was just the third in a string of behavior that was so different from what my planning process with the mansion had been like.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend the mansion, as it is a beautiful spot, and very unique.

Sent on 06/30/2009

Helen · Married on 08/20/2005

3.0

We had a great time at the Commander's Mansion for our wedding ceremony and reception. The reason why I gave it 3 of 5 stars for professionalism, there was some staff turnover that resulted in a few mishaps here and there, but things worked out for the most part.

Sent on 11/20/2007

Jennifer · Married on 10/12/2008

3.8
      3.0

This venue is definitely a hidden gem and everyone truly enjoyed the reception. The mansion is run by the city of Watertown and does suffer from a few bureaucratic snags: I found that communication was key! Although you can bring in all your own vendors make sure you ask permission from the Mansion before you book them! Compared to other like venues in Massachusetts, this home is much better preserved and offers a lot more flexibility and is very close to downtown Boston.

Sent on 01/04/2009

3.4
      2.0
      3.0

Absolutely beautiful venue -- our guests were amazed, and the whole environment made our wedding really special. We had our ceremony in the arbor, cocktail hour in the house, and reception outside in the tent. The house and arbor are both spectacular. We are also Watertown residents, so we got a discount (I definitely recommend this venue for Watertown folks). It is on the grounds of Athena Health, so you might get a discount there if you work there (it is worth asking!).

Since this is a historic estate administered by the town, there are a lot of bureaucratic tasks that you will have to do yourself. ex: getting permits and such from the office in Watertown. We did feel that because of this the staff seemed to be working against us at times instead of with us. This is our first time getting married and my husband and I planned the entire wedding ourselves, so we needed a bit more guidance than the CM was willing to give. We also felt that they seemed to be working against our vendors at time too. That being said, they ended up being extremely flexible and friendly the week of the wedding, and the woman who was on staff the night of was helpful.

All in all I would definitely recommend this place due to the ambiance, but know that you might have more administrative challenges to overcome. I've never been married anywhere else, so maybe this is just how it is!

Sent on 09/27/2015