City of Fairfax Parks and Recreation Reviews

50 | Fairfax, VA

50 Reviews for City of Fairfax Parks and Recreation

Katherine · Married on 02/26/2011

This reception venue is extremely unique and located right in Old Town Fairfax. It was the most awesome place to hold our reception. It's got a great charm to the entire place. They are very flexible and allow you to bring in any vendors you want. You can even do your own catering! Laura, the coordinator, is a wonderful person to work with and is very responsive. She does a great job of accommodating you. Best of all, the pricing is very reasonable.

Sent on 04/28/2011

Carolyn · Married on 11/27/2010

Absolutely fantastic. Laura Lister is great to work with and answered every one of my questions in a timely manner. The venue is beautiful. We had 75 people at our wedding with the cocktail hour upstairs and dinner and dancing downstairs. It was the perfect amount of space for my guests, who needed a big dance floor. Laura made an allowance for us to come and decorate early at Old Town Hall for a discounted cost, which was a great relief. If you can book this place, do it and do it early. It fills up quickly!

Sent on 12/08/2010

Courtney · Married on 10/30/2010

Laura and Amy were very helpful and answered all of our questions immediately. The hall was perfect for our wedding because we wanted an old, historic, vintage feeling. The library was beautiful and perfect for our ceremony and everyone loved how easy it was to go from the ceremony to the reception downstairs.

Sent on 10/31/2010

Teri · Married on 10/10/2010

The Civil War Interpretive Center at Historic Blenheim, also operated by the City of Fairfax, was where we held both our ceremony and reception. A beautiful site, beautiful weather, and a beautiful day for our wedding on Oct. 10, 2010. Our biggest problem was the kiddos trying to climb the trees before their parents had gotten any photos of them in their good clothes! Everything worked perfectly, we had no problems with fitting everyone in or getting everything prepared in the space, and having someone from the city present made everything go so much smoother!

Sent on 10/17/2010
  • Rachary

Rachel · Married on 03/20/2010

Everything about our experience at Old Town Hall was 100% positive. Laura Lister was our contact and she was Awesome - really fast to respond to my emails, always helpful, just super nice. The staff on site is great too, we worked with Amy and Brenda and they were both just, well, awesome. I'm sorry I can't think of any better descriptors than "awesome" and "super." The venue was perfect for our wedding - and being right across the street from a bar is a bonus if your guests might want an afterparty. ;) You can't beat the value in this area either.

Sent on 03/26/2010

Emily · Married on 03/13/2010

Old Town Hall is a great venue. We had our ceremony upstairs - the library is beautiful - and our reception downstairs. Laura was a pleasure to work with. She was very responsive and helpful, even allowing us to drop off centerpieces and alcohol the day before. Her staff was just as helpful every time we visited to review the speaker system, visit with our parents, etc. Amy was great as point person during the big day. Thank you all!

Sent on 03/22/2010

Katie · Married on 10/03/2009

Laura, the contact at Old Town Hall, was absolutely wonderful. She was responsive, helpful, and flexible. She even provided us with decor suggestions based on other Old Town Hall weddings when we went to check the place out. She set us up with a decor drop-off time in advance that saved us a lot of hassle and made a beautiful reception possible. The space was warm, inviting, and cozy. Old Town Hall was simply perfect.

Sent on 10/16/2009

LaJenna · Married on 04/11/2009

The staff was great I would highly recommend.

Sent on 05/05/2009

Maree · Married on 06/28/2008

We were really happy to get the Old Town Hall for our reception site. Laura Lister (the contact for the City of Fairfax) is incredibly nice, responsive, and very professional! About 10 days before the wedding she did a walk-through of the place with me and the caterer and made sure everything was set up so that it all went smoothly. Even after I had to request changes in the floor plan at the last minute, she did a great job and there were no problems.

This place is perfect for a wedding of 100-120 people (we had 130 and it was pretty full, but not uncomfortably so). It's an unusual space in that there are two floors, but it wasn't a problem for us; we had our cocktail hour (and later dancing) upstairs, allowing us to maximize our space for dinner on the main floor. All our guests enjoyed the historic feel of the place and it had enough room for everyone to feel comfortable. The only potential downside is that, despite the air-conditioning, it can get pretty warm when there are 100+ people dancing - but that's pretty much to be expected.

Overall, this is a great venue, with lots of character in a nice historic location. And when you pay less than $4000 for 12 hours (including tables and chairs, etc), it makes for a great value.

Sent on 07/02/2008

Megan · Married on 11/03/2007

Excellent in all areas and a complete pleasure to work with. They make it stress free!

Sent on 01/23/2008

Natasha · Married on 11/11/2006

Laura, who is the main contact for Old Town Hall, is absolutely a joy to work with. She is professional, responsive and you feel like you know her (and I never met her face to face).

She made the entire experience fool proof and was just on top of ensuring that I what I wanted happened.

And you can't beat the price!

Sent on 01/08/2007

Teresa · Married on 08/27/2005

The old Town Hall was wonderful - a great price for such a unique, lovely venue. The staff was very helpful - answering all my questions, offering possible alternatives, and just generally being helpful. We had just under 150 people for a seated buffet - it was a tad crowded, but not at all uncomfortable. We used the upstairs for our cocktail hour, which worked well. We paid to have the piano tuned and found a UMD music student to play for an hour or so during the cocktail hour -- very affordable.

Sent on 02/02/2007
  • GingerTabby

Maddy · Married on 04/12/2014

I am so glad I found the Old Town Hall for my wedding! The venue had everything I wanted- I could have my ceremony and reception at the same location, I could bring in whatever vendors I wanted, there was plenty of free parking, and all tables and chairs were complimentary. The value for the price was outstanding and all of my guests said the setting was beautiful. Brianne, who was my contact with the City of Fairfax, always responded to emails quickly and professionally so I knew I had nothing to worry about.

The event space worked perfectly for my party size (about 50 guests). Everything was clean and in good working order and I received back my security deposit very promptly. I highly recommend checking out the Old Town Hall.

Sent on 04/29/2014
  • I

Ines · Married on 10/17/2010

The hall is beautiful, and it's located in historic fairfax city a really cute town. Fairfax city residents get a small discount. The inside has two floors both with hardwood floors, and white walls, (which is nice to have a blank canvas to decorate, no need to compete with ballroom decor and rugs.). We had the ceremony upstairs and they even have a piano you can rent which was great for the duet my family in law sang for us. The upstairs has pretty vaulted high ceilings and big windows, they use it as a space for artwork and a library so it provides a nice backdrop. We had the reception downstairs which was nice for the guests since they don't have to travel far. My wedding was about 82 people and it fit just right I wouldn't recommend this space for a very large wedding but somewhere in the 100range would work. The staff was always helpful and friendly.

Sent on 01/07/2011

Mary Ann · Married on 05/30/2009

Laura Lister and OTH were great to work with for hosting our wedding reception! I would only recommend 110 or less if you want a decent size dance floor though! Their facility is beautiful and I would highly recommend utilizing the garden area for your cocktail hour. We looked around and compared prices for different reception venues for a couple months and they really have the best deal in the area. We used the tables, chairs and some of their linens. We ended up using another Vendor for all of the guest table linens and napkins (OTH doesn't offer napkins).

Our guests loved the location and building! Parking isn't really an issue anymore as they have several free parking lots that are even very close to the building. They were very flexible and allowed us to store all of the alcohol overnight so we didn't have to designate someone to do it the day of the wedding! This was EXTREMELY helpful to us! No issues and definitely HIGHLY recommend!

Sent on 07/15/2009

I used the upper level for cocktail hour and the main level for dinner and dancing. I would highly recommend it. Brianne and the staff were very responsive to my questions and had everything set up as I requested. The main level was roomy enough for a small dance floor and buffet-style dinner for 110 guests. It felt cozy without being cramped. Even though the garden and parking lot were inaccessible because of construction, the interior is beautiful for photos and there is ample free parking nearby.

Sent on 09/18/2014

Colleen · Married on 08/02/2014

Beautiful location for both ceremony and reception with an upstairs and downstairs. Brianne was fantastic to work with, flexible, and accommodating. The venue was flexible-allowing the use of any catering company. We loved having our wedding here!

Sent on 08/21/2014

Ashley · Married on 07/19/2014

We had our wedding reception at the Blenheim Estate in Fairfax City and would highly recommend it to anyone. It is a relatively unknown place- a beautiful historic brick home (perfect backdrop for pictures) and a modern reception hall in the back (the Interpretive Center) that still has lots of rustic charm. The center has a nice covered porch and a pergola where guests can mingle outside. The prices are so much cheaper than any country club or reception hall since it is a city park. Our group was about 150 people so we set up a tent on the lawn for dinner and then had dancing inside. The city was easy to work with and Kaveh was very responsive to all my concerns and questions. He had lots of good suggestions for how things would work well for the reception. You are allowed to use any vendors you want at the reception site. There were a few rules that were a bit of a disappointment like no sparklers and no amplified music outside, but obviously those weren't a deal-breaker for us. The city also puts the responsibility on the customer to obtain proper permits which was a bit confusing and tedious- we had to get a "building permit" to set up our tent given its size, a fire permit, and an ABC permit from the state; but again not a deal-breaker, and Kaveh helped us walk through the process. We were able to set up the tent the night before which was really helpful. Parking is relatively limited so we encouraged people to car-pool. If you end up using Blenheim and not getting a limo- I would recommend having someone save you (the bride and groom) a parking spot! We got there late because of pictures and didn't have a place to park our car which was more lack of forethought on our part than anything else. Our wedding turned out beautifully and we got so many compliments on the reception.

Sent on 09/18/2014
  • Jessica

Jessica · Married on 06/07/2009

This is an excellent venue. It is an historic building in the center of old Fairfax City -- just beautiful. Our wedding was lovely there.

Sent on 06/23/2009

Jeanette · Married on 08/09/2008

We loved the building. We had the ceremony upstairs, and the reception downstairs. The price was reasonable, and Laura was very helpful throughout the planning process. We has about 110 guests, and I think any more would have been too many.

Sent on 09/06/2008

We had our wedding at Old Town Hall in Fairfax. The location was great for what we were looking for. Definitely a great value for the cost. They also let us create our own floor plan to meet our needs.

Sent on 08/25/2015

Tamitha · Married on 05/23/2009

This place is the best, very professional, very flexible and the table, chairs and tableclothes are included in the rental price. The garden out back is a plus in the spring and summer.

Sent on 06/09/2009

I had my wedding at old town hall in Fairfax. Overall, they were great. I was able to bring in everything I wanted to an extent. Since it is a historical building, there are some strict regulations. Also since it is a public building, it was a little inconvenient that we could not reserve parking spots at the venue for the weddinf party and grandparents. There is parking a few blocks down the road in a garage but I didn't want to have some have to do that walk.

Sent on 08/03/2014
  • User3197432 · 2+ years ago

3.0

Old Town Hall was perfect for my October wedding. A lot of dark wood, low lights, large windows, etc. My ceremony was upstairs which held around 75 people, and there was a small room to get ready in, but nothing huge. It was cramped with 6 of us in there getting ready and waiting.

The reception was directly downstairs which was helpful for entrances and pictures, as its a gorgeous staircase to cascade down! It was also helpful to be able to run back upstairs during the reception in case I forgot something or needed to change.

The reception hall was big enough for my hundred guests holding about 10 tables, cake table, buffet tables, DJ, card table, and photo booth! The bar was in the foyer area which was helpful to avoid bottle necking.

Overall I was very pleased with the venue. However, if you need to access to the venue at any time besides your allotted contract time, you will need to pay for it. This is a Fairfax County Property so someone needs to be there to let you in.

Sent on 04/15/2013

Jennifer · Married on 05/29/2010

The Old Town Hall is a fantastic venue. Beautiful and affordable. The main person in charge, Laura Lister, is wonderful. She is very quick to respond to you either over email or phone whichever you prefer. She tries hard to make the day perfect and ensure you are comfortable in the venue. I had a great time working with her. The only small problem I had was a last minute change in table placements that wasn't carried out but I believe that was because Laura was out of town. The other employees there are nice but not as knowledgable or helpful.

Sent on 06/30/2010