Chowhound Gourmet Reviews

44 | Livonia, MI

44 Reviews for Chowhound Gourmet

Maria · Married on 06/22/2018

John at Chowhound Gourmet is the one and only caterer you need! John's food was 1000% better than the other tastings we had and the most affordable! Wedding planning score! On top of that, John was so great to work with and made great, unique menu suggestions - much more interesting (and delicious) than your standard wedding fare. Our guests loved the food and so did we! Highly recommend!

Sent on 08/13/2018

Amanda · Married on 05/06/2018

Chef John Breeland of Chowhound Gourmet was the best caterer, and we would recommend him 110% percent. He impressed us from the first meeting to the very last bite.

I am a bit of a foodie, so the most important part of the wedding planning to me was the food. I spoke with 6 other caterers in Southeastern Michigan before finally deciding on Chef John. Not only did he have the most innovative and fun sample menus on his website, but he was able to create a personalized menu for our wedding, and even recreated some of our favorite dishes. The service that he and his staff provided on the day was impeccable. If you are getting married, you absolutely must go with Chowhound Gourmet.

Few more highlights:
    - The food was amazing (coriander steak, burgundy braised chicken, morel risotto, wild mushroom tartlets, roasted eggplant with pomegranate, “biscuits and gravy” hors d'oeuvres…) My husband took one bite of his meal, said that he wanted to kiss the chef, and that it ranked amongst Michelin starred restaurants. Wedding guests kept coming up to us to tell us how delicious the food was, and it made us so happy to see our guests get thirds and even fourths. Two weeks after our wedding, guests are still texting us about how it was the best wedding food they have ever had.
    - Communication was so clear and prompt. He always made sure to send an updated proposal after each change.
    - He created a custom menu that was perfectly tailored to our guests. My husband’s family is from the South, my family is from Asia, and some guests were vegetarian/vegan, so believe me when I say it was no easy feat to create this wonderful menu!
    - Value was exceptional. Chef John’s prices are also clearly shown on his website, which made it such a breeze to plan with him.
    - On the day of the wedding, there was nothing for us to do or stress about. Chef John and his team took care of absolutely everything.

Chowhound Gourmet, thank you a million times over for catering our wedding!

Sent on 05/23/2018

Megan A. · Married on 04/20/2018

We only have great things to say about Chowhound Gourmet. We booked them almost a year from our wedding date. This was easily one of the best decisions we ever made! We met John initially for our complimentary tasting. He called me to confirm the dishes we wanted to try as he was getting the ingredients fresh. We were so happy to see a lot of vegetarian-friendly items! At our wedding cocktail hour and reception, every single person was asking about the chef! They couldn’t stop talking about Chowhound Gourmet! John always made sure we were taken care of and even helped us with our rental order! Thank you to Chowhound Gourmet for your excellent service!

Sent on 04/23/2018

Jane · Married on 04/14/2018

John is a great chef and communicator. He is so personable and made sure our experience for the tasting was impeccable! The portions were real dinner sizes to help us envision what the night would be like. We werent even expecting to but ended up adding extra appetizers since the service and presentation was so great! Our wedding day hasnt come up yet but so far this has been the best contact for our budget!

Sent on 12/05/2017

Jessica · Married on 01/27/2018

My now husband and I enjoyed working with Chowhound very much. Chef John and his staff were extremely professional the night of our wedding. During the planning process, Chef John was extremely helpful and supportive. My husband and I were looking for an Asian themed meal because we LOVE Chinese takeout. There were very few catering companies that were willing to help us do this. Chef John asked us exactly what we were looking for and designed a custom menu just for our wedding day. He made sure that all of the ingredients used were all items that we liked. After creating a menu for us, he invited us to his kitchen for a food tasting. The tasting went extremely well. We gave him our notes and made a few suggestions. The day of the wedding, our food was perfect! He took all of our suggestions into consideration and delivered. Aside from the fantastic food, Chef was extremely responsive. He answered all of our texts, emails, and calls in a timely manor. While we decided to go with plastic ware, he offered to set up all other rentals (linen and china). We were able to enjoy our special day and not stress over anything because Chef John and his staff were able to take care of everything for us.

Sent on 02/02/2018

Lillianna · Married on 10/07/2017

Ohmigosh! I can't say enough great things about John. From our first appointment- where he cooked a full on meal for the trial- through the check in consultations and our wedding day he made sure we had great food and service to wow our guests. I rarely eat wedding food and enjoy it, so it was important to us to have great, comfort food. John even fulfilled my husband's request to have a soup (homemade tortilla soup) instead of a salad as an accompaniment request.
    Thank you John, you are the best!

Sent on 11/24/2017

Jaleesa · Married on 07/23/2017

My husband and I could have not found a better company to use for our wedding. Chef John and the Chowhound crew was the best. Great to work with. So easy, professional and accommodating. We had two or three themes for our menu which Chef John executed perfectly. The food was great and so was the service. We would recommend Chowhound Gourmet to anyone we know. And plan to use them for our upcoming events, if he is available.

Sent on 02/17/2018
  • Liz

Liz · Married on 07/08/2017

John and his team are SPECTACULAR! His cooking is phenomenal, and you get so much for your money!! I will forever recommend Chowhound Gourmet to EVERYONE and I will continue to use him in the future for all our catering needs!!!! THANK YOU JOHN!!!!!

Sent on 07/21/2017

Rachel · Married on 07/03/2017

We booked Chowhounds for our wedding and they were awesome from start to finish. John was so kind and accommodating, even when we had last minute requests. Guests raved about how delicious the food was and our coordinator said they were so professional to work with! I couldn't have asked for a better caterer-John and his team helped make our reception absolutely perfect! I would recommend them for anyone with an upcoming wedding!

Sent on 08/03/2017

Chelsea · Married on 06/30/2017

We loved Chef John and Chowhound Gourmet- the food was fantastic and it was easy to come up with our menu in our price range. We couldn't say enough about how happy we are! All of our guests loved the food! Thank you Chef John!!

Sent on 08/06/2017

Marjorie · Married on 05/20/2017

I hosted a small shower for 20 guests. Chef John gave as much attention and creativity to my function as you might expect for a large wedding. His menu was creative and delicious. Several guests commented on how much they enjoyed their meal. Would highly recommend Chowhound Gourmet.

Sent on 05/21/2017

Michelle · Married on 01/20/2017

John's food is amazingly delectable.... whenever I use him for an event, I receive rav reviews and requests for his information!

Sent on 01/03/2017

Helen · Married on 12/31/2016

Chefs John and Jeff did a wonderful job catering our recent event. They accommodated us on short notice and provided us with choices we wouldn't have thought to ask for. Everyone who attended commented on the freshness of the food and the attention to detail of the presentation. I would highly recommend Chow Hound Gourmet for any event you are planning.

Sent on 01/19/2017

Holly · Married on 10/22/2016

Chef John was amazing! He came up with a menu for our wedding that was unique and special for us. We still have people raving about how incredible the food was.
    If you want something other than the traditional chicken and fish that you get at a wedding, go with Chef John and Chowhound Gourmet! You will not be disappointed!!

Thank you Chef John for making our wedding amazing!!

Sent on 01/05/2017

Tom A. · Married on 07/29/2016

Chef Breeland and his staff were incredible to work with EVERY step of the way. From the initial consultation, to choosing a menu, and executing the meal at our wedding, they were top notch in service and value. Chef Breeland customized our experience, took a vested personal interest in our event, and was an absolute pleasure to work with. We'd recommend him to anyone looking to have food in ANY sort of setting...even just a meal at your house! Did we mention that the food was incredible too? Because it was! Can't say enough good things.

Sent on 12/29/2016

Shiela · Married on 06/30/2016

I had a terrific experience with this particular catering company. The chef is bright, energetic and creative. The folks at Chowhound Gourmet were considerate and patient with my many questions and requests. And the food...the food was incredible! I will undoubtedly be calling Chowhound Gourmet for future catering.

Sent on 12/30/2016

Barbara L. · Married on 03/08/2016

Top Notch Job!!! Amazing food and service!

Chowhound catered my nephew's wedding hosted at our residence. They did a phenomenal job!!! It was extremely hot that day and they had to go up and down a hill but that did not stop them from providing excellent food and service to all the guests. Megan gave special attention to my mom who was 2 flights away from the rest of the guests due to her mobility issues/age. We just cans't say enough about this fine company!!! Highly recommend!!! Very professional with great attention to even the smallest details!

Sent on 09/01/2020

Chowhound Gourmet's reply:

HI, Barbara!

Thank you so much for taking the time out give our team a review! And thank you! It was a joy to serve you and the families:) And I am lucky to have such an awesome team that cares!

Very best JOhn

Christopher · Married on 08/04/2018

We met with Chef John over a year before our wedding. It was one of the first tastings we went to and we went in saying we aren't going to be impulsive and book, but it was so terrific we didn't need to see anymore.

We chose the salmon and the New York strip and both were absolutely perfect on our big day. Our reception was nearly two hours from John's kitchen yet you would've never known that it wasn't made right on site. John made a special visit to see us and our facility to get the "lay of the land" and make sure everything would work. It did.

John's staff was courteous and friendly, the food was fantastic and we heard nothing but compliments from our guests and fellow foodies. I would highly recommend John and his staff for any fine dining experience. Thank you for being a part of our special day.​

Sent on 09/20/2018

Vickie · Married on 12/17/2016

I can't believe what a awesome job that they did for our wedding. The food was fabulous and the service was the
    best everyone at our wedding want to know who the company was because they loved the food and the experience
    that had. beyond our expectations!!

Sent on 01/17/2017