Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer Reviews

Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 6
Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 7
  • Clare

Clare · Married on 09/29/2018

My fiancé and I were lucky enough to have Mike take our engagement photos with our dog, Finn, last month. Taking into account the ease of the experience, the final product, and the overall cost, we are so happy with our decision to go with Choco Studios and would highly recommend them to anyone looking to hire a photographer for any purpose.

While searching for a photographer, I noticed that a lot of studios put limits on how many shots you could keep from your photo session (as few as 3!), and would charge extra per additional shot. With Choco Studios, there was no "catch" or hidden costs - for one very reasonable price, you get the photo shoot and a digital copy of all final photos (typically 80-100 photos) that you can download, print, and keep forever.

Mike is extremely easy-going and flexible to work with. He accommodated our preferred shooting location in the Presidio in SF, and made us feel very relaxed and comfortable during our session. One huge plus for us was that Mike was not only agreeable to - but actually really enthusiastic about - including our dog Finn in our shoot. Having a fellow dog owner and lover as our photographer made the experience really fun and enjoyable, and he captured really stunning shots of Finn.

Within 2 short weeks, Mike sent us a digital copy of the final 102 shots from our shoot, and we were very happy with the result. He takes beautiful, natural photos, and in our case we really felt that our photos reflected us as a family and our personalities.

***Tip - if you have a particular vision or style/aesthetic for your photo shoot, I would definitely recommend expressing that to Mike before the shoot. For example, I selected some of my favorite shots from his previous work and explained what I liked about them, which gave him a better idea of what we were looking for and who we are as a couple. I was really happy that we had that conversation beforehand, because I think it was definitely reflected in our photos.

Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 8
    Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 9
    Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 10
    Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 11
  • Nelly

Janelle · Married on 08/31/2018

I am so happy I go to work with Mike and Choco Studio for my San Francisco City Hall wedding! I am positive the day would not have gone as smoothly had Mike not been there to walk us through the day! He has friendly and professional from the start of requesting a quote to the end of receiving the finished products. He had a quick turn around, and I adored every picture. I honestly think Choco Studio was our favorite vendor we went with for our wedding festivities! Nothing against my other vendors, but Mike went above and beyond to make sure we were satisfied. Mike captured some really beautiful moments on film that I cannot thank him enough for! Could not recommend Choco Studio enough

Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 12
    Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 17
    Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 18
    Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 19

M · Married on 09/02/2017

My husband and I hired Choco Studio for both our engagement and wedding photos, and were very happy with their work. Our photos turned out great, and we really appreciated Mike and Nat's professionalism, especially while we faced a few hiccups on our wedding day due to unpredictable weather. We also loved the personal touches that Mike and Nat brought to the mix - they invited us over for dinner after we hired them so we could get to know one another and we would feel more at ease during the photo shoots, and they even sent us a sweet note immediately after our wedding congratulating us and letting us know they had started to work on our photos. We would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a wedding photographer.

Lis · Married on 06/29/2017

We had such a great experience with Mike! He was extremely responsive, answered all of our questions and we loved his style of shooting. The candid shots really captured the excitement of the day! I love that we had 'unlimited' time in the 2 locations we chose as that didn't make us feel rushed (SF's City Hall is huge so it's a definite bonus to not have to be scrambling around in heels and a long dress just to get to the different locations to shoot). Th images are stunning, he really captures the lighting beautifully. It was easy to book them for a weekday wedding in the city and since they specialize in city hall weddings, he was able to help us out in explaining how things worked. We also took pictures in Baker Beach that I just can't stop looking at! Even with people roaming around the area, he was able to capture a lovely intimacy in his shots. Thank you so very much, you were great!

Kristen · Married on 10/15/2016

We selected Choco Studio after searching through dozens of photographers' websites. Choosing to work with Mike and Nat was one of the best decisions we made for our wedding. From initial contact, to engagement photos, to the final editing on our album, Mike and Nat provided a professional and stress-free experience.

Mike took our engagement pictures a few months before the wedding. I highly recommend taking those pictures early. The pictures turned out incredibly well, and we felt even more confident in choosing Mike and Nat once we saw the results they were capable of producing. I used the engagement pictures for our guest book. People loved looking through those pictures at our wedding reception.

We gambled with the weather on our wedding day, but it turned out perfect for photos. Mike and Nat were able to quickly adjust to the changing light conditions and I noticed how they worked seamlessly as a team to notice and adjust settings accordingly. Additionally, Mike and Nat made us both feel very comfortable and relaxed while we were being photographed. They were both able to work with us to capture the most flattering and natural pictures possible.

We love the beautiful photos and emotions Mike and Nat captured throughout our day. The pictures reflect both the overall feel of the wedding and the small details I had spent countless hours planning. Mike and Nat are both incredibly talented, and it was a pleasure working with them.

Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 20

Shannon · Married on 06/18/2016

Service: Like all of the wedding vendors, it was difficult to decipher which photographer to choose (especially when you don't know anything about photography, and all the photos start to look the same). We met with several photographers before meeting Mike and Nat, but we weren't swept away, and we wanted to be as it was one of the larger expenses. I chose to meet with Mike and Nat based on their yelp reviews and was impressed by how many awards they've won. Our meeting with them was the best one as they are warm and professional. They don't pressure you into any services (they tell you that you can decide at any time). They even invited us over for dinner for us to get to know one another. I would recommend an engagement shoot if you can afford it, as it makes you more comfortable on the day of (I felt a little awkward during the engagement shoot, but by the time the wedding day rolled around we felt at ease, and I feel the pictures show that).

Quality: My friends who I shared our photos with raved about how good they were. Mike and Nat have a synergy that allows them to capture a full complement of beautiful formal and candid photos. What sets them apart is how innovative they are with the types of photos, backgrounds, poses, etc. and how well they capture light (I can definitely see how they won all of those awards!). We would definitely use them again for any family photos, events, etc.

Viktoria · Married on 06/04/2016

After a horrible night of stomach poisoning prior to the day of my wedding, the last thing I hoped for is good pictures. My biggest concern was to not fall asleep during my vows or into my cake. I felt horrible, puffy, and tired. I no longer expected for things to go smoothly as planned and some things did not. However none of those things included the work of Mike and Nat with Choco Studio. Everything about their work seemed so effortless. They were punctual, attentive, carrying, non-intrusive, professional, and much more. I never expected to look at my pictures and feel as beautiful as I did. I don't think I knew how much in love my husband was with me until I saw the first look pics. They were able to capture the love, the beauty, and the honesty that I really wanted to see. We have so many favorite pictures from the wedding. We truly enjoy looking at them, which we do often and remember all the emotions of the event. Being bride and groom, it is very difficult to stop and reflect in the moment on everything that is happening at your wedding; the chaos is to great; these photos will forever help me to do just that, reflect and remember, and for that I am grateful to Mike and Nat.

Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 21
    Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 22
    Choco Studio & City Hall Wedding Photographer 23

Veronica · Married on 05/29/2016

Let me start off by saying that I have seen and reviewed THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of international wedding photos thanks to my previous job at a photobook company. After being exposed to the same pretty yet ordinary wedding photos for years, I knew I wanted photographers with a different approach and style- photographers who knew how to steal moments of explosive emotions or thoughts besides "I hope I don't look fat."
    There are SO MANY photographers in the bay area. I started by looking at portfolios and moving on to blogs, social media, and anything I could find on them (It is so important to look beyond their portfolios- that only displays their select very best work!!). After narrowing my options down, I finally stumbled upon Choco Studios on yelp. While their portfolio is amazing, it was their blog and photos I found on google that reeled me in. They met all my criteria- 1) Unique approach & style 2) Experience with taking equally beautiful photos in natural light + artificial light 3) Experience in capturing diverse/multiethnic weddings (We had a Mexican/Indian wedding) 4) Affordable price. I quickly made an appointment and booked Mike and Nat on the spot.
    Mike and Nat go far beyond taking "pretty photos". Indeed, what they can capture in raw photos is exceptional, but it is also their skills in photo editing software that contribute to their unique style. I truly believe that photography is what they were meant for; they have an intuitive nature of knowing the exact moment of when to take photos- when you are looking at the photos later, it truly is like reliving your special day. And their abilities go beyond capturing the bride & groom wonderfully- we have the most amazing photos of guests as well!

Lastly, on our wedding day, we had a few things go wrong with other vendors, but we were able to count on Mike and Nat to be professional and do an amazing job smoothly, despite messy situations. I cannot recommend Mike and Nat enough!

Leyla · Married on 05/27/2016

Mike is absolutely AMAZING!! I stumbled upon their site on yelp and fell in love with their pictures. Read up on all the stellar reviews, went through their blog and what I really love about them is how they really capture the beautiful, detailed, vivid moments in their photography and that is exactly what Mike captured on our wedding day. When I go through the pictures, it is like reliving the entire day all over again and more! He is not only an incredible photographer, he is professional, thoughtful, well organized, very thorough and puts a lot of thought and care into making everything go as smoothly as possible on your big day! Thank you Choco Studio for helping to make our special day even more perfect and memorable than it already was! We HIGHLY recommend them and hope to work with them again for future family photos! Thanks Mike and Nat! :-)

Carol · Married on 05/15/2016

When we started looking for a wedding photographer we didn’t know what we wanted but when we stumbled upon Choco Studio’s work, we knew that was exactly what we wanted. We wanted to capture all the details and remember the moments of our wedding day as they were. And we wanted the photos to show us how those moments felt. Mike and Nat delivered all that to us and we’re so happy with our photos. They truly knew how to work with the surroundings and natural light. I know my reception space wasn’t the easiest to work with, but the photos still looked great. Mike and Nat were a pleasure to work with from the day we met with them and they made us feel comfortable in front of the camera on the day of. We definitely recommend them.

Dan · Married on 04/23/2016

Mike and Nat were an absolute joy to work with and are great people. From the beginning, their professionalism and ability to understand and provide what my wife and I wanted for our engagement and wedding photography was clearly evident. The engagement session was perfect and exactly what we were hoping for. As far as the wedding day was concerned, their ability to control the timeline while capturing all of the relivable memories was well executed. The photography tells the entire story of our day with beautiful artistry. They take a tremendous pride in their craft. We are grateful to have worked with Mike and Nat and highly recommend Choco Studio.

S · Married on 12/17/2015

Choco Studio was really great with our City Hall wedding pictures.
    Our photographer Mike had a lot of City Hall experience, so knew the best spots for the best background, lighting, etc.
    He also worked very efficiently so we got a lot of both official and candid pictures.
    There are other crucial factors to consider when choosing a photographer, and Mike really stood out in those areas as well.
    First of all, the contract was really straightforward, and it was very easy to discuss questions with him.
    I have seen some weird conditions with other photographers, or they got oddly defensive if you asked any questions.
    Mike is also very responsive to emails, both before and after the wedding, and our pictures were delivered very quickly.
    He is really friendly, super experienced, and put everyone at ease. This made both us and our guests feel more relaxed, which was really important the day of the wedding and for the pictures themselves.
    We'd highly recommend Choco Studio for wedding photography!

Mufi · Married on 09/19/2015

Mike and Nat are BEYOND great! They photographed our wedding in 2015 and their professionalism, flexibility, thoughtfulness, gentile suggestions of things to consider and their short turnaround time on email correspondence was only the beginning.

Now to the pictures....
    We looked at many portfolios and what really made this duo stand out was their ability to document moments that draw you in. Also, the richness of the colors they capture....this my friends, is KEY!
    As a self-proclaimed photo snob, I have to admit, there was not a single picture that I was not impressed with (out of 676 photos). The colors were warm yet vivid, the poses were relaxed, the mood was light....just perfect!

Another thing to point out is their impressive ability to distill the pictures to a VERY reasonable number. Our photo list was long and that combined with ceremony and reception pictures, we easily expected beyond 1000 pictures. But they were able to cover every part of the event, capture many candid moments and still keep it down to good number! For that we are forever grateful!

Bryan · Married on 09/06/2015

My wife and I hired Mike and Nat for both our engagement photos and our wedding. They were wonderful to work with! Doing engagement photos before the wedding was perfect, because we were able to meet with them and work together before the big day. It definitely made things easier for us on the wedding day. I also appreciated that they always took time to make sure we felt comfortable and were ready to look our best. They are very professional and take fantastic pictures!

E · Married on 12/18/2014

Mike and Nat are extremely professional, very pleasant and personable. It was very easy to connect with them and schedule our appointment. They made us feel relaxed and comfortable while taking pictures. Photos were very tastefully done and sent to us on a scheduled date. We look forward to working with them again.

Alex · Married on 12/09/2014

If you are getting married in San Francisco or any where for that matter, call Mike and Nat. The work was amazing, and they are both so nice and professional. We had not met them before they arrived for our ceremony, however when they arrived, it felt like old friends. They made everything so simple. we talked about what we wanted to capture in the photos and they made sure it happened.
    They really took the time to make sure our pictures were perfect. We were so lost in our moment, and they made sure it was captured for us to remember!

Maryam · Married on 08/29/2014

We first met Mike and Nat at my sister's wedding over 5 years ago. They were so lovely to work with and handled all of the unexpected challenges of a wedding with grace and incredible professionalism (aka they still captured AMAZING shots despite the wedding dress making it late to the venue). My sister still receives compliments on her wedding photos even years later!
    When it was my turn to get married, the one vendor I knew I didn't have to research was photographers. I knew I wanted to work with Mike and Nat. Their style is poetic without being cheesy, and I felt like they truly captured the essence of our multi-faceted and multi-cultural celebration. In addition to their stunning work which speaks for itself, they are just such wonderful people that you can't help but want to stay friends post wedding festivities. :) In short, Mike and Nat are pros who are always on time (in our case even early), organized, incredibly reliable, and simply a pleasure to work with. Thank you again Nat and Mike for your incredible gift of capturing our special day!

Ben · Married on 08/26/2014

Mike and Nat come through for us in a big way! Our Wedding was actually 2 years ago and our Wedding Photographer never showed up! (Yes, that can actually happen... what a nightmare). For our 2 year anniversary we decided to recreate our Wedding Portraits since we never got any on our big day, and choosing Choco Studios was a very smart move. They helped with selecting sites, outlined our schedule with respect to when and where the best possible light would be during the shoot. Most importantly, the photographs that we got in the end are absolutely incredible. They captured our love, relationship, happiness, inner & outer beauty. My wife is super happy, which makes me super happy! Simply put, they are the best. We are truly grateful for their talent and expertise. They made what was truly a horrible situation into a blessing in disguise. We would have never of had such incredible photos on the day of our wedding if the photographer that didn't show up (Ariana Cosmos) would have shown up... Mike and Nat are on a whole other, elevated level of talent. My wife and I love to do photography ourselves, so we were super picky. Choco Studio Photography far surpassed our hopes, expectations, and our own abilities. We will be forever grateful. If you put your trust in them, you won't be disappointed!

Mike and Nat are great! They are very responsive through email, punctual to our City Hall Ceremony, very knowledgeable about the venus we chose, and got us our pictures sooner than we expected!

My husband and I usually look terrible in photos. I am always blinking and he gives his forced smile. It felt awkward for us to pose for longer than ten seconds for your standard picture. Being seasoned veterans they sensed this, and let us take a sneak peek at the pictures. They were gorgeous and it was reassuring that awkwardness we felt didn't come through at all in the photograph. They also navigated City Hall like the back of their hand and knew where and when to shoot.

Also, I feel that they were competitively priced compared to other wedding photographers in the area for the quality of pictures they were able to produce. We get nothing but compliments on our photos when we show them!

Lori · Married on 08/02/2014

Mike and Nat are absolutely amazing and wonderful people!! They took our engagement and wedding photos and needless to say the pictures came out perfect!!! They captured the happiest moments of our lives in the most beautiful way possible. Their quick responses to our endless questions and their valuable suggestions really helped prepare us for the big day. Every time I look at our wedding photos, I can't stop smiling because they bring back the fondest memories of that day and that's the best gift any newly wed can receive. Thank you, Mike and Nat!!

Nina · Married on 08/18/2013

We were lucky enough to know Mike and Nat personally and we knew that they would be a perfect fit for us. Photography was one of the most important aspects of our wedding. We had been following their blog and were always amazed at the images they produced.
    Choco studio has a knack for capturing the most memorable, emotional and funny moments and a special talent of creating magical photographs.
    While working with Choco studio we noticed that they have mastered not only the artistic part of their work, but the business and organizational side as well. They created an effortless workflow from the moment we booked them to the moment we received our photographs. They were reliable, ready to answer our questions and give us useful recommendations and suggestions.
    The only problem: we've got so many great images now, that it's hard to choose favorites for wall prints :)

We had the pleasure of working with this husband-wife duo on our wedding this weekend. There is not enough we can say about their craft. Mike an Nat are artists. Under their direction and vision, they create intimacy between the bride and groom, even if the whole world is watching. While we will have to anxiously await our wedding photos, we worked with them on our engagement session and the result was pure magic. The quality of their work speaks for itself. Anyone can hold a camera, but these two are not only incredibly easy to work with, but they create masterpieces, each more beautiful and inspiring then the next. We cannot wait to see the memories that they helped create to capture the love and spirit of our special day. Highly recommended.

Sayaka · Married on 06/21/2013

Mike and Nat are so awesome. Our wedding was June 21, 2013 and we also had our engagement pictures taken by them. Although I'm no photography expert, their work is stunning. We have not yet received our wedding day photos but I am so excited to see what they will look like.

On the wedding day, they showed up ahead of schedule and were ready to go within minutes. You could tell they've shot a lot of weddings- they were professional and efficient. For my first look, I had a brief disaster moment with my makeup and Nat was nice enough to help me although she didn't have to. She reassured me that things were going to be fine.

During the ceremony and reception you could barely tell they were there- they stayed out of everyone's way, unlike some photographers who are in your face 24/7.

To top it all off, they are both very down to earth, very nice, cool people which makes them easy to work with. Would highly recommend!!!

Kambria · Married on 06/07/2013

My husband and I did a City Hall wedding in June and we lucked out choosing Nat and Mike! They were relaxed and professional, which helped us focus on each other and our special day. We'd never had our photos done together or professionally, but they helped us feel natural and comfortable the whole time. They were really creative in getting shots around our home and neighborhood in Noe Valley beforehand, and even got great shots with our beloved dog. They got us our photos back online in under 3 weeks. Also, they are wonderful human beings! I would highly recommend them. We will definitely work with them again to capture other precious life milestones.

We feel so lucky to have had Mike and Nat take our wedding photos in April 2013!! They are an amazing team and brought artistry to our small City Hall wedding. We have hundreds of beautiful pictures - a very good problem to have!

You don't always get professionalism with talent, especially with wedding vendors. Mike and Nat, however, not only possess a keen eye and skill but they also are communicative, reliable, patient, and calm. They moved seamlessly between our three locations, and were reassuring when we had an unexpected fire alarm and delay during our ceremony.

They delivered our high res files ahead of schedule and we couldn't be happier with the results.

Get in touch with Mike and Nat, and check photography off your list!