Chef's Expressions Reviews

Chef's Expressions 4
Chef's Expressions 5
Chef's Expressions 6
Chef's Expressions 7

These folks were terrific! We looked at a couple of other caterers before settling on Chef's Expressions and were very glad we did our research and shopped around. In the end, we couldn't have been happier with their food, their service, or their responsiveness. Sorting out the details of the event was surprisingly easy. Bonny and Alicia were very willing to work with us to make the day exactly what we wanted, and they had good suggestions to help us make informed decisions. The tasting was fun (and delicious), and they were happy to modify particular items as requested and to accommodate our vegan guests. Chef's Expressions provided a proposed floor plan for the reception hall and even took care of small items like striped straws in our colors for the specialty drinks.

On the day of the wedding, their team exhibited a level of professionalism that was really hard to believe. The set-up went like clockwork, and during the event itself, the servers were charming and efficient and seemed only too happy to be part of the day. We had one server assigned just to us, and he helped to ensure that we got to enjoy the food and drink as much as possible. The tables and buffet looked very elegant, and Chef's Expressions even arranged for a tent over the terrace, which was a nice touch.

Our reception was an afternoon tea with passed hors d'oeuvres beforehand and cake afterwards. The caterer's chef is English and understood exactly what we wanted. The lobster rolls and crab "spoons" were absolutely delicious, and the scones and cucumber sandwiches won praise from our English and American guests alike. With lemon curd and blueberries between the layers, the cake was the best I had ever eaten at a wedding.

I suppose Chef's Expressions is a little more expensive than some caterers, but we got excellent value for our money. Our guests couldn't say enough nice things about the day. I only wish I had another big event in the offing so I could use this caterer again!

Sent on 06/23/2016

Aaron · Married on 05/21/2016

The choice is simple, go with Chef's Expressions. Their service and attention were superlative

Sent on 06/16/2016

Bonnie and Alicia provided exceptional service for our wedding. We were truly pleased by the level of professionalism and flexibility with planning our 215-person wedding. Our guests were thrilled with the food options, presentation and service. I highly recommend this team for your future event!

Sent on 06/30/2016

Valerie · Married on 05/06/2016

This caterer was not the cheapest option, but they definitely worked with me on price and every single thing was WELL WORTH IT. Bonny and Alicia were beyond helpful every single step of the way. The main reason I went with this caterer is because when you sign with them, not only are you getting great food, but if you sign by a certain day you get a free cake and the onsite coordinator the day of is almost like a day of coordinator. Granted they aren't labeled as your day of coordinator but they act just like one. So for me...I was saving money and using a caterer that had a phenomenal reputation. They came up to my room to check on me and my timeline while getting ready, they made sure to pack us doggy bags and put them right in our room's refrigerator so we could actually EAT after the wedding! They let me bring my own alcohol and were super helpful with guiding me on what to get and for how many people. The servers were attentive, and the day went smoothly because of Bonny and Alicia. Everyone was on point and organized because of them...and frankly it left me with nothing to worry about the day of the wedding. Being that stress free on that day was super reliving, and when i heard my guests "wow!"-ing over the food, I felt so good knowing i picked the right caterer. Every single guest kept raving about the food quality, saying it was the best wedding food they had ever had. If I could go back and do it again, I would definitely chose Chef's Expressions over and over again!!

Sent on 09/22/2016

Michelle · Married on 03/26/2016

Working with Bonny and Alicia was amazing. We planned a wedding in Maryland from San Diego and I only met with them once to do a tasting. Everything else was coordinated via email and Chefs Expressions delivered. Every detail we had coordinated was perfect. Everything went well and as a result, we had an amazing wedding. The food was amazing and tasted exactly the same as it did when I had a tasting. I heard nothing but positive feedback on the food from our guests.

Sent on 04/11/2016
  • User6194112 · 2+ years ago

Chef's Expressions catered my sister's Wedding and a Brunch that I gave. The food was delicious, beautifully presented, included ingredients we wanted and none of what we didn't, they were aware of our food allergies, and the staff was fabulous - professional, understated, fully accommodated our family & guests. After both events I looked for a chance to entertain again so that they could come back. All we had to do was enjoy! Highly recommend for top-shelf cuisine and service. - p.s. Alicia is awesome!

Sent on 01/12/2016

Wonderful food! Careful planning and personal attention from start to finish. A first-rate caterer! Bonny Opper, Alicia Strawderman and their team put on a beautiful wedding reception and dinner for us. Everything looked and tasted delicious and the chef did a great job customizing the menu for guests with special diets. The wait staff made sure that we took time to eat when we weren't mingling with guests, and they stocked our room with goodies for later, too. Chef's Expressions also catered our farewell brunch, which was another beautifully-presented and sumptuous meal.

Sent on 01/05/2016

Alysa · Married on 11/29/2015

Bonny, Alicia, and Lauren from Chef's Expressions are FABULOUS! They had our backs the entire time planing this wedding, and the day of. I will forever thank them for helping us execute our dream wedding. And THANK YOU to the entire serving and kitchen staff! I tried to shake all of their hands and learn their names but there were so many hard working people at my wedding, I could not get to them all. Amelia was the server for our sweetheart table and she was such a sweetheart herself. The food was excellent, the service was so friendly, and our guests said the entire thing was so classy. We told them that my now husband is half Hawaiian and they modified some of their existing dishes to add an "island flair". They even decorated the dishes with hibiscus flowers - such a sweet surprise for us. The cake tasted amazing, and the table set ups were beyond what we could have imagined. I never got the chance to meet the owner but he really helped us manage our costs to stay to our budget. He also picked our white and red wines for the night - amazing! My husband asked to take a picture of the bottles during dinner because they were so great. We are searching for the wines now so we can start drinking them at home! There were a few engaged couples at our wedding, one of which has already asked me for Chef's Expressions contact information because she wants to look into having them do her wedding as well. I cannot thank everyone at Chef's Expressions enough. They are so professional, talented, and kind. Thank you!!!!

Sent on 12/02/2015

Bonny and the Chef's Expressions team provided an incredible menu for our wedding in November 2015! Bonny was a pleasure to work with. She was accommodating for in-person meetings and also quick to respond to emails. After a tasting at their office, we knew Chef's was the best option for our wedding. They designed an incredible menu of a fall harvest salad and butternut squash soup duo, a second course of mushroom ravioli, and braised beef short ribs for the third course--each course was delicious! The hors d'oeuvres at cocktail hour were also great. Our guests are still raving about the food.

Chef's also made us a beautifully decorated and delicious four-tier wedding cake (we had alternating tiers of yellow cake with lemon curd and blueberries and chocolate cake with hazelnut mousse). We opted for passed desserts in addition to cake, and they were a big hit with our guests.

During our reception, Bonny assigned one of her waitstaff to tend to us and make sure we had enough to eat and drink, which we greatly appreciated. Bonny also worked with our wedding planner and venue coordinator to keep the reception on schedule. Additionally, Bonny was flexible with building our bar menu and we arranged to have a champagne toast for guests when they entered the cocktail hour room after the ceremony.

Chef's excellent food and customer service made our wedding day!

Sent on 01/02/2016

I first had contact with this vendor at the Gramercy's open house. The woman who attended the event was very friendly and knowledgable. I told her that I planned to do a "caramel apple bar" and she said that it was not on their menu, but they could make it happen. I was MORE than excited. The food they brought with them to the open house was amazing! The decision was instant.

We met with them not too long ago to plan a menu and pick out the linens. The staff is very helpful and Bonnie is awesome!

Sent on 02/12/2015
  • Jessica

Jessica · Married on 08/08/2015

I knew from the moment we pulled up to Chef’s Expression and there was a reserved parking spot for us this catering company was not like others we met with. We worked with Jen and she could not have been more helpful. She was extremely familiar with our venue and was able to paint a picture in our mind that was even more beautiful when the real day came around. Throughout the process Jen acted as more than an event design consultant, she helped as a wedding planner would. Jen answered ALL my emails in a timely manner and always offered superb assistance. We attended one of their monthly wine dinners and had the opportunity to meet the owner who was just as lovely as Jen. As for the food and the service, it could not have been more spot on. Our appetizers were the most AMAZING wedding apps I have ever had. Our guests were so impressed. The meals came out quickly and were delicious. We had a special attended who catered to my husband and I all night. The cake was beautiful and tasty! At the end of the night I was sad to say bye to Jen since we had been in close contact for a year and she helped make sure everything was as I wished that night. I would highly recommend Chef’s Expressions! They single handedly made our wedding perfect.

Sent on 08/11/2015

Miluska · Married on 07/11/2015

I will be forever grateful to Bonny who helped make my wedding so amazing! Everything was better than I ever imagined. People were impressed by all the details and how amazing the food was.

Sent on 07/28/2015
  • User5181965 · 2+ years ago

Food was outstanding: hors d'oeuvres, salad, appetizer, main course, and cake! The service also was friendly and guests with special dietary needs were taken care of very well. The staff members were pleasant and patient and very receptive to changing the menu. I highly recommend this caterer and plan to use them for other events.

Sent on 06/16/2015

Mary Anne · Married on 06/06/2015

Chef's Expressions catered our recent wedding in June 2015 aboard Raven that sailed out of the Baltimore Inner Harbor. I was looking at 2 caterers, the other being a very well known Baltimore caterer, but selected Chef's Expressions because Bonny, their Catering Manager was so responsive when I first contacted her. She was terrific. She would always respond quickly to my emails or phone calls. She had great suggestions while we were planning the menu for the reception, and the decorations on the tables. We had a cocktail reception first, when our guests first boarded the ship, then the ceremony, and afterwards the reception. It was a change to how most weddings go, but Chef's Expressions was terrific. Everything was absolutely perfect for our special day. The food from Chef's Expressions was excellent, well presented and our guests are still talking about it how delicious it was. The staff were professional and courteous. Chef's Expressions offered to include my wedding cake in the contract as well, which made planning very easy for me. The cake was delicious too!!! I cannot thank Bonny and Chef's Expressions enough for making our wedding day so perfect! You won't gone wrong in choosing them as a caterer for your event.

Sent on 06/21/2015
  • W

Winnie · Married on 05/23/2015

I worked with Bonny and Alicia at Chef's Expressions for our wedding at the Peabody in May 2015. Chef's Expressions exceeded our expectations in so many ways:

- They work at the Peabody pretty much every weekend, so they know the place through and through. They were able to give us floor plans and suggested timelines for our wedding.
    - In planning the menu, you have complete freedom for creativity. Bonny and her staff were able to bring in a dim sum cart as a nod to our heritage, which our guests loved.
    - The food is GOOD. Not wedding "good". Sit-down-restaurant-pay-a lot freaking delicious good. They also made my wedding cake which was absolutely stunning, and gave us the top tier to take home (along with plenty of leftovers) afterwards.
    - Chef's worked within our budget, making numerous revisions to our contract until we were happy.
    - Chef's helped with our decor and tablescape setup, and called all our other vendors to coordinate setup, since the Peabody only allows for a small window of setup time.
    - They also worked with us on linens and chair rentals so that we had one less item to worry about.
    - I inquired with the other caterer our venue allows, and found Bonny and her staff far more responsive than their competitor. I received a quote from her (taking into consideration all of our preferences) within a week; their competitor took over a month to get back to me. There's just no comparison.

Absolutely the best service. I would hire them all over again.

Sent on 06/09/2015
  • User5205438 · 2+ years ago

The ultimate professionals in every way! Food was outstanding. Staff courteous and helpful. Bonnie and Alicia are the dream team!!

Sent on 06/24/2015

Leon · Married on 03/21/2015

Bonny and Alicia did a great job. They really took the time to listen and understand the type of event we wanted and did everything they could to make it happen. The night flowed seamlessly and they made sure everything was going according to plan. We received multiple comments on how great the food and the cake was. Overall extremely happy that we went with Chef's Expressions for our wedding.

Sent on 06/23/2015

Christina · Married on 11/08/2014

Chef's Expressions, particularly Bonny and Alicia, provided wonderful service at our wedding! I was impressed at how efficient everything was and how often people came to check on us. Everyone loved the food, particularly the hors d'ouevres! Bonny was very responsive to my phone calls and emails, and she did so much to make everything run smoothly. Thank you again for an amazing wedding!

Sent on 11/30/2014

Kyle · Married on 11/07/2014

Chef's Expressions was an absolute pleasure to work with. We had the fortunate opportunity to work closely with Jennifer Pellegrino on our wedding. She was extremely pleasant to work with and was always available for our questions and concerns. The entire Chef's Expressions team was professional and provided high quality of service.

Sent on 11/16/2014

Pippa · Married on 10/26/2014

I cannot say enough about Chef's Expressions and Bonny Opper. I worked with Chef's Expressions and Bonny for my wedding at Gramercy Mansion on 10/26/14. From the first time meeting Bonny at a wedding open house I immediately knew I wanted to work with her. Her dedication and professionalism were easily apparent, but she also expressed immense creativity and passion for her work. She recommended each of my vendors and she was spot on with every one! She also worked with me individually to develop a custom menu that was not only seasonal but also very personal to my fiance and me. She and Chef's helped me plan my menu, decor, timeline for the day, from start to finish with zero stress!

The day of my wedding everything was flawless! The food was amazing and Bonny worked with each vendor to ensure that everything was absolutely perfect! We even had our own assigned waiter that brought us our dinner from the stations, desserts, cake, drinks, etc. The best part of all - Bonny had hors'duerves delivered to our room during the cocktail hour (for us to eat together after pictures) AND packed up and delivered food/drinks/champagne/cake to our room after the wedding for an afterparty!!

I would 100% recommend Chef's Expressions to any bride/couple and don't forget to ask for Bonny!

Sent on 11/30/2014

Alli · Married on 10/25/2014

We used Chef's Expressions for our recent wedding at the George Peabody Library, and could not be more pleased with their service. Bonny and Alicia were incredibly helpful from day one - always responding to emails and answering questions very promptly.
    Our guests our still raving about the food (as are we!), and Alicia was a dream to work with the night of the wedding. She checked in with us frequently to make sure we had time to eat, and that the timeline was flowing smoothly and how we wanted.
    My only suggestion is to ensure you coordinate the pick-up of any decorations that the Chef's staff sets up for you at the wedding. Even if Chef's brings it to the location, you will need to take everything with you after the event (rather than picking it up the next day). We had to delegate quickly for this!

Sent on 12/07/2014

Chelsea · Married on 10/12/2014

We were looking for something a little different from our wedding catering, and did Chef’s Expressions deliver! Our guests loved all the food, from the maple bacon hors d'oeuvres to the barbecued beef brisket and macaroni and cheese. Despite the casual food options, Jen Pellegrino and the rest of the Chef’s Expressions staff did a fantastic job of keeping our event classy and tasteful while still being a great time for my husband and me as well as our guests.
    In addition to fantastic day-of hospitality, Jen met with us regularly to discuss our options and was able to accommodate us in many ways in order to make our event a success. She made sure we ate, and even wrapped up boxes of food for my husband and me to take home - wedding dinner times two! We would highly recommend her and her team to anyone looking for great food and great service!

Sent on 10/22/2014

We loved working with Chef's Expressions! The food at our wedding was incredible but their best quality is really their service. Bonny doubled as our wedding coordinator for the day of and did a perfect job. She makes sure all of the vendors are ready to go and helps to guide the processional. Bonny's staff is also incredible. We had a very large wedding and they were great with both the cocktail hour and dinner service. They also provided the cake for free which was delicious. They are not cheap but they are worth it if you're able to afford them!

Sent on 12/02/2014

Eliza · Married on 09/13/2014

Worth every penny!!!! Chef's Expressions did a fabulous job catering and coordinating our reception! The food was outrageously delicious, from the appetizers to the bacon-wrapped chicken stuffed with four types of Italian cheese. The entire staff was a delight! They also made our wedding cake, which was both gorgeous and scrumptious.

Moreover, our catering manager, Amanda, was a god-send. She had everything running like a well-oiled machine and always had a smile on her face. I cannot speak highly enough of her! She was like a fairy godmother who just made magic happen - professional, kind, organized, and efficient, while also just being so fun to work with!

Hands down, Chef's Expressions was fantastic!

Sent on 10/11/2014

Nancy · Married on 09/13/2014

Flexibility at event was wonderful, and compliments to the chef on food and presentation!

Sent on 12/25/2014