Chef By Request Reviews

2.5
      3.0
      1.5
      3.0

Chef by request would not offer me a selection of entrees, they wanted me to serve the same meat to 130 people. I finally got them to offer fish, chicken or steak but I had to pay extra. We agreed on a teriyaki sauce on the salmon and they served the original, dill. When we got to the reception, they only had one coffee station. I insisted and they got a second one. The servers were very nice. The contact person I was given was often hard to contact.

Sent on 01/02/2014

Kristin · Married on 06/02/2018

2.0

Chef by Request courts clients very well. HOWEVER, they turn our poor product and service, and blatantly pulled a ‘bait and switch’ on us.

We had a wonderful tasting in their office and loved the food. We raved about it to family and friends for months up to our wedding. At our wedding, a fatty beef was served (my guests said they would chew and had to spit out fat pieces into a napkin), and bone-in light and dark meat chicken was served, when we had tasted a chicken breast earlier.

When I delivered this feedback, they requested pictures of the food from the wedding or tasting. Who would think of doing that? Sorry, I was busy being a bride and not an event coordinator. .

After the wedding, such as brunch on Sunday and Father’s Day which was shortly after the wedding, family members said they did not expect a chicken leg or wing at a wedding and talked about how ‘gross’ the beef was. It was completely embarrassing. I also learned that the food was taken and given to staff as their meal (totally fine and agreed to prior) BEFORE ALL THE GUESTS HAD EATEN, EVEN MY MOM. I can’t speak to the appetizers as there was one flatbread passed in the area my family was taking pictures and there was probably 30 people hanging out in this space. I got one compliment from 175 guests – the potatoes were good. Hopefully that fact speaks for itself. Like the other reviewed said, DON’T WASTE YOUR TIME AND PLEASE SELECT A DIFFERENT VENDOR.

In the end, we were offered a refund on the cost of the beef - fair. The owner alleged that bone-in chicken pieces was ‘elegant and trendy’. Sorry, that is not elegant, that is BBQ style. Not the look I was going for. Amanda is the coordinator we worked with, and she did a fine job. However, their owner is arrogant and insulting in his email communication.

Sent on 06/20/2018

Jacquelyn · Married on 05/28/2017

1.2
      0.5

We choose Chef by Request for our wedding day after having 2 wonderful tastings with their former coordinator, Katie Merkle.
    2 weeks before my wedding, I sat down with all of my vendors and was told by Katie that she was leaving the company, and introduced me to the person replacing her, Amanda. I was nervous, as Amanda never formally introduced herself or reached out to me via email or phone to go over our complex menu. My wedding planner had reached out to her on my behalf and assured me, things would be just fine, as this is what Amanda had told her.

My husband and I had decided to do stations, where staff would serve our guests. We had 3 stations--tacos, burgers and fish & chips. There were several items on our menu that were not there on our big day, or were wrong. For example, as one of our hors d'oeuvres, we had veggie quesadilla cones. I am vegetarian. They provided chicken quesadilla cones the day of, and luckily I caught it before eating it!

The number one item that was to be MY meal-that many of my guests were excited for-as they are also vegetarian or vegan-was the lentil tacos. The steak was there and the lentils were not. I was lied to several times, told "they'll be out soon!" which I relayed to my guests asking where they were. The lentils never came. Our stations were not stations-they were set up as a buffet. Items were to be labeled and guests were left confused--which burgers are bean and which are beef? Guests told me the beef burgers were SEVERELY undercooked. Fish & chips were not presented how it was stated in our itinerary with several items missing.

The transition of our complex and EXPENSIVE menu was nothing short of unprofessional and unorganized. There were too many details missed or messed up. I was offered a $300 refund (what a joke! We spent well over 10K on our food!!). I wrote a lengthy email back, explaining my points, and was offered $770 total. Still completely unacceptable.

Sent on 08/18/2017

Lindsey · Married on 03/04/2017

1.0

I have nothing good to say about this company. I had the most difficult time trying to set up a tasting for our wedding, and they cancelled last minute on us, TWICE! So unprofessional. I'm glad we were able to move on before investing more time or even money with this company. Not at all recommended.

Sent on 03/13/2017

Chef By Request's reply:

I'm sorry if you felt like you had a difficult time working with us. As we do have to prepare food so it is as fresh as possible for our tastings, we do not cancel last minute unless there are extenuating circumstances beyond our control. We pride ourselves on being flexible to accommodate current and prospective customers and providing exemplary food and service. Please feel free to contact us directly if you have any further questions, concerns or feedback.

0.4
      1.0

Chef By Request served raw chicken to my guests not once but twice during my wedding reception. They reimbursed us minimally for the food cost but will never forget my special day where my 82 year old grandmother was given raw chicken along with my entire guests at my event.To make a long story short they were very difficult to deal with after the event to try and get some of our money back.No one ate and the chef cooking was even caught taking the leftover food home. In closing a few guest went to the Emergency room for food poisoning and I am still completely embarrassed when talking about my special day with family and friends . I would not recommend this company to anyone for any event they are very unprofessional and do not follow food and safety regulations.

Sent on 01/09/2014

0.2
      0.5

Hello Everyone! Sorry to say I am less then impressed with this service.
    I have been contacting this service for a month now, because they were originally my #1 choice for a caterer.

I first received an email saying I would have a phone call, which never happened (1 month ago). Since then I have been calling once a week, leaving voice-mails to get questions answered and to start the meeting process. Finally one the 4th week, an answer! I was told 70 dollars a plate, but when I did the math they gave me I came up with 40 a plate... For a breakfast wedding brunch... with us going to Costco to get alcohol.

I am sad to say that I am pursuing another caterer and I will not be using this service. They have 1 week to answer my email about more questions I have. If they do not answer my questions, I will be calling their customer service.

Sorry everyone for the harsh review, but I expected more from a company that I expected to pay thousands of dollars to.

Sent on 01/15/2014

Roxanne · event on 01/02/2014

0.0

I have no idea who you are and why you are asking for my feedback

Sent on 01/02/2014