Chef by Design Reviews

91 | Virginia Beach, VA

91 Reviews for Chef by Design

Dee · Married on 08/09/2014

Great service, great staff, and even better food! Chef By Design made us feel like family from the first day we met with them, so warm and welcoming! I Wish I could get married every day just to eat their stellar food! I highly recommend working with them for any and all occasions!

Sent on 11/09/2014

Krystal · Married on 07/14/2014

Joanie worked with us on all levels. We had budget issues and she was able to get what we wanted on our buffet within our budget. The food was absolutely outstanding and all our guests loved the food as well!! Thank You for everything!

Sent on 07/24/2014

We had a wonderful tasting where we got to know the team. The crab cakes are amazing.

Sent on 11/09/2014

Sophia · Married on 09/14/2013

Chef by Design did an amazing job with our wedding! The food was delicious (and they even sent us home with some since we didn't have much to eat during the party!) and the service was excellent. They took care of so many details so we could just relax and enjoy the party. I had no idea what I was doing with the wedding planning, and they answered all of my questions and helped out much more than they had to. I would hire them again in a heartbeat!

Sent on 09/15/2013

Christina · Married on 09/14/2013

We hired Chef by Design for our wedding on 9/14/13. We were initially interested in hiring them because they already provided vegetarian and vegan options and we knew our guests would need these accommodations. We did the tasting and everything was absolutely delicious. Even better, the food was fantastic on the day of the wedding. Everyone raved about the food and my brother said the vegan dish was the best he had ever tasted. The staff was very professional and were not intrusive in the evenings events. They even served my and my husband's plates so we didn't have to go up to the buffet line. I would absolutely recommend their services to anyone, totally worth the value.

Sent on 10/21/2015
  • Shannon

Shannon · Married on 07/14/2012

Chef by design is amazing! We're so glad we chose them for our wedding! Our guests are still raving about how wonderful the food was. Joanie is awesome and went out of her way to meet with me and my vendors to ensure my vision for our big day was captured. Joanie & her team were fabulous, thanks guys for making our event one to always remember!!

Sent on 08/14/2012

Julie · Married on 11/27/2010

Chef By Design is a wonderful group of people who made our reception incredible! The food was delicious, they have so many choices, plus they are very flexible in accomodating your taste. They can also give excellent advice as to what works best with the kind of atmoshphere you are looking for. The staff was also very professional the night of the reception and worked tirelessly to keep things going smoothly. I would HIGHLY recommend them for any event.

Sent on 01/29/2011

Erin · Married on 10/04/2014

I couldn't have asked for a better team or more delicious food!!

Sent on 10/14/2014

Joanie and Marci were wonderful- flexible to new ideas on both food and decorating.

Sent on 01/14/2015

Ruth · Married on 05/27/2012

3.0

DELISH!!!!!! Chef by Design is incredibly amazing!!!! My husband and I went to many tastings. My husband is the cook of the house and is very picky. After meeting with Marcy and Joanie we decided from their elaborate menu what we wanted to taste. Everything from the salad to the main entrees was simply scrumptious!!! We planned our menu over a year in advanced. We were a tad leery that maybe would not be the same on the day of the wedding. A few weeks before the wedding our guest count went up, Joanie and Marcy worked with us through a few bumps in the road. On the day of the wedding Beth came out with their full staff EVERYTHING WAS BEYOND PERFECT!!!!!The food actually was better then what we had originally tasted, fit for a king and a queen! Our guest even now 2 months later are still raving about the taste and quality of the food!!! Chef by Design is simply the best in Hampton Roads!!! Thank you Marcy, John, Joanie, Beth and all of Chef by Design staff for making our wedding so grand!!!!

Sent on 07/17/2012

Ruth~
    You were such a beautiful bride, and your wedding was fantastic!! Thank you for allowing us to work with you on your special day! (ps. you really should go into wedding planning - you did an amazing job!! ) It was so great to see it all come together! Best to you both!! Marcy, Joanie & Beth
  • Marina

Marina L. · Married on 10/10/2020

3.0

Delicious food for our small ceremony!

If you want great quality and a great variety of options for food, hire Chef by Design!! We were so pleased and so were our guests! I definitely recommend to anyone looking for high quality catering in the 757!

Sent on 10/19/2020

Lisa T. · Married on 04/06/2019

Chef by Design

Overall the food was good. I was disappointed in a couple of items served. I felt they did not taste as good as they did when we had our tasting appointment. For amount of money we paid, it should have been amazing. But it wasn’t.

Sent on 04/13/2019

Christine · Married on 05/07/2016

4.2
      3.0

CBD was one of the preferred vendors for our venue, and the food was phenomenal. People went back for thirds on the food and many complimented the catering. The staff was also very helpful on the day of our wedding and worked with my wedding coordinator to make sure everything went smoothly. However, the weeks leading up to the wedding were stressful - they were not the most responsive with emails, and it was hard not to worry if things were going to go off without a hitch. Their responsiveness did get better the closer we got to our wedding date. We provided our own liquor supply for a full bar but had two bartenders; I did have some guests complain about one bartender not knowing how to make drinks -- one said that other guests were putting down their still full drinks and going to the other bartender. However, the rest of the wait staff was excellent - we had a dedicated waitress who made sure our plates were full and we had drinks in hand. Overall, we're pleased that we went with them, mainly because the food was just that good.

Sent on 06/22/2016

2.0
      3.0

The moment I found Chef by Design, I knew I wanted them as our caterer. Initially, they seemed to be very responsive but as soon as we paid our deposit we had a horrible time trying to communicate with them. Our wedding planner called more than several times, I called and sent multiple e-mails, but it was very difficult to get a hold of them. I understand they are busy, but the communication needs to improve; this affects their responsiveness but also their professionalism ratings. During our tasting, they took our feedback into consideration and made the revisions for our wedding. We had a backyard wedding, the bartenders also came from this company and the day following our wedding, my husband and I had to clean up lemons, limes, straws, and other trash that the bartenders had just dumped into the grass. It was hard for us to believe that if they had catered at a museum or business, they would dump items such as these in the yard instead of throwing them in the trash can. The food was delicious and everyone loved what they had, we provided three different options.

We ended up providing my parents, aunt and uncle with a private dinner as our gift to them from Chef by Design. It has been months after our wedding and they constantly talk about this experience- the food, the wine, the hospitality. It was definitely something special and I can't thank Chef by Design enough for helping to say thank you to my family and making them feel as special as we did on our wedding day.

Sent on 01/27/2016

Kristen · Married on 06/14/2014

3.2
      0.0
      2.0

If you like good food and have a lot of money and patience then this might be the caterer for you. The food was one of the most important parts of the reception, so we chose Chef by Design based on the recommendation of our venue and the delicious tasting we had before the wedding. The food is divine and the people are nice, but they are the only vendor I regret hiring. They are terrible about returning calls or emails. It became a running joke how many times I would need to contact them before they would respond. Much of the time I felt ignored even though we were dropping $12,000! They are also not up front about pricing. Somehow the price went up nearly $4,000 from the price they quoted me when signing the contract. This is in part because of extra rentals (like an oven and other catering equipment you assume they have) and a hefty 10% service fee on your total food, rentals, service bill, and even on top of tax. Why am I paying more for them to set up a $7 chair verses a $3 chair? And why am I spending an additional 10% on top of my $1500 service fee. I now know other caterers do not do this. There is also a fee for using a credit card. I will say, when the day came they did a beautiful job and the food was good and the night ran smoothly. I think they have a good product, but need someone to run the office and be 100% clear about all the fees.

Sent on 06/30/2014

Dear Kristen~
    I am so sorry you felt like you had a bad experience in the process with us. I am glad you enjoyed our food and service the night of your wedding, and that you felt we did a beautiful job there, but our goal is not to create stress in any way with our clients. We experienced rapid growth during the time we were working with you, and our response times were very late in getting to you. To solve this problem, we have since hired 4 additional full time staff (Events Manager, Logistics Manager, Office Manager, and Sales Coordinator) to streamline and we believe we have solved that issue. I am just sorry you were caught during that time, and you had a difficult time reaching us. In regards to your rentals, we were clear when working on those, that our company cooks on site, and will require an oven to rent, if the venue does not have one. That is how we were able to serve you the high quality food to you and your guests that evening, since we don't pre-cook and ship food to events. We worked with you on every rental, and the large increase was also due to the fact that you went with the more expensive chairs. We do not mark up rentals that are rented. As far as the 10% service fee, most caterers actually charge 18%, and we reduce ours to 10%. This covers all of the time prior to the actual reception (kitchen prep 3 days prior to event, loading for event, travel, counting in rentals, etc.) which we explained and was clear on all proposals and contracts. The 10% is NOT applied to the tax, just to be clear. The Service fee that you mentioned is to pay the staff for the actual hours of the event. Again, we are glad that you loved the night of your wedding, but are truly sorry the process was not a smooth one getting there, and we have taken measures to make sure no other client experiences that. As you can see from all of our excellent reviews, this is the first poor review we have ever received, and will be the last! We wish you both the very best!

Jessica C. · Married on 09/01/2018

1.8

Expected a lot better

The wedding ceremony was decent but when it came to cocktail hour, it was a mess. The cocktail party was held outside after the sun had already went down. This wouldn’t be an issue if there was proper lighting, but you couldn't see anything! The stairs were dark, I didn't even know there was a desert table, and the staff had to actually hold up their flashlight on their cell phone for the guests. There were signs at the tables that I could not even see to read. The waiters were very young and inexperienced as well. They did not pass out the horderves until the very end. Before that, you had to go up to them in the dark. As for the dinner, I was not satisfied with the meal what-so-ever. The lobster ravioli was terrible, and the dinner staff was also very frantic. For the price of this wedding, I expected much better service.

Sent on 11/20/2018

Hi Jessica~
    Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, as the catering company, we had no control over the lighting during the cocktail hour. That was all handled between the client, the venue, and the lighting company. Since it was dark, you may not have seen, but my servers were passing out Hors D'oeuvres the moment cocktail hour began, until the conclusion. I agree, it was very difficult to see, and our hands were tied, unfortunately! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the lobster ravioli - we actually had many guests say how wonderful dinner was, but I know that everyone's taste is different. I appreciate you taking the time to review, and please tell Tracy hello for me.
    Marcy Telfer